Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Alan_Shore posted:

I use Carrot. It has swearing

That's the one I was trying to remember from some android podcast. Been wanting to look that one up, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Khablam posted:

Dark Sky will tell you it's going to rain in 20minutes, and it rains in 20minutes.
If you live somewhere with a lot of rain it's invaluable.

Dark Sky is clearly developed by weather-controlling wizards. ALL HAIL OUR DARK SKY LORDS

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

I can't imagine the place I'd have to live where it needs to be accurate to within half an hour.

I have a convertible and park with the top down often, I need to know if it's going to rain in the next half an hour. Honestly, that's the only bit of weather information I need.

gourdcaptain posted:

That returns Item Not Found. Looks like it was delisted. :(

Same happened to my favorite RSS reader, Press, which last got updated during the Android 5 days and while it still mostly works (it's a Feedly front end, and some of the login options are broken due to changes on their end) I'm just dreading Google cutting off access to apps that old eventually. (Every other RSS app I can find is either not compact enough in how it displays info or requires hosting your own setup.)

That happened to my favorite RSS app, gReader Pro. I've looked at every (and I mean every) RSS app alternative including switching from Feedly to Inoreader and trying those apps and none work well enough to justify switching away from gReader for me. I ended up just keeping the APK for when I need to switch phones but I really wish there was a modern RSS reader that worked well.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 27, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've also found Dark Sky to be the most accurate when it comes to snowfall predictions. The umbrella reminder is also pretty handy.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

ThermoPhysical posted:

You got lied to.

There's definitely a way to make it work because they just added it to their Visible network.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/verizons-prepaid-service-is-removing-the-5-mbps-speed-limit-adding-google-pixel-3a/

Endless Mike posted:

That guy was bullshitting you to get a sale. Just order the SIM online.

Awesome, thanks. It was strange to me since I was trying to upgrade to a more expensive plan and I'm used to cell phone employees doing everything they can to get you to spend your money, so having a guy just go 'Nope, no dice' threw me off.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Back in the Nexus 4/5/6 days I did the same and often wondered if it contributed to the sudden and precipitous battery life dropoff I saw in my Nexus 5 at about the 2.5 year mark. The fact that 90% was probably the lowest it ever got couldn't have been good for it and compared to the longevity I've gotten from my Pixel XL I can't help but draw the connection between constant charging and battery death. It's not like you keep your phones long enough for such a problem to occur.

Either way quick charging has pretty much put an end to even this concern since if you're always 10 minutes away from an 80% charge, and that includes any travel by car, you're just never in a position where battery level is ever an issue.

Constantly recharging your phone extends the battery life. The battery is degraded each time you discharge and recharge it, this is known as a cycle. If you do a full cycle, more of the battery is degraded than if you top it off at 90%. You can check for studies that say charging your phone whenever you can will actually lead to 2-4x improvement in overall battery health.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dramicus posted:

Constantly recharging your phone extends the battery life. The battery is degraded each time you discharge and recharge it, this is known as a cycle. If you do a full cycle, more of the battery is degraded than if you top it off at 90%. You can check for studies that say charging your phone whenever you can will actually lead to 2-4x improvement in overall battery health.

So if it's a minimum of twice as good and a maximum of four times as good then the expected battery life of a Nexus five in normal use would be 7-15 months? That sounds about right.

I did do what you said and looked for sources to back your claims and while top off charging was fine and avoiding deep cycles was important, the number one recommendation was to keep the battery cool and to avoid charging quickly. I wouldn't say that Qi charging keeps the battery cool.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Lord Harbor posted:

Awesome, thanks. It was strange to me since I was trying to upgrade to a more expensive plan and I'm used to cell phone employees doing everything they can to get you to spend your money, so having a guy just go 'Nope, no dice' threw me off.

The in-store Verizon experience is utter poo poo anymore. They're literally just sales people and refuse to do any critical thinking whatsoever. Just call CS and they'll be able to help you out.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

So if it's a minimum of twice as good and a maximum of four times as good then the expected battery life of a Nexus five in normal use would be 7-15 months? That sounds about right.

I did do what you said and looked for sources to back your claims and while top off charging was fine and avoiding deep cycles was important, the number one recommendation was to keep the battery cool and to avoid charging quickly. I wouldn't say that Qi charging keeps the battery cool.

I'm pretty sure the newer versions take battery temp into account. At least on my note 9, the phone never gets warm when charging.

Before that I had a nexus 6 and used it for almost 4 years and was still getting a full day of use out of it between charges. My habit was to plug it in when I got home and I always made sure it was charged over night.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 27, 2019

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Lord Harbor posted:

I'm currently using an unlocked Google Play store purchased Pixel 3 on Verizon. All I did was pull my sim out of my Google Play Store purchased Pixel 1 and swap it in. When I got my OG Pixel I had to hit up Verizon's online chat to get it activated on the sim out of my Droid Turbo, but that's the only contact I've had with Verizon in the last 5 years across 3 phones. Verizon is a much better experience when you don't have to interact with them.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My phone just upgraded to android pie and I hate it. Get off my lawn drat kids! :bahgawd:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Still rocking 8.0, cause I own a Literal Garbage phone. :smug:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

shut up blegum posted:

My phone just upgraded to android pie and I hate it. Get off my lawn drat kids! :bahgawd:

Please elaborate!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Given the only user-facing changes that come to mind involve Google breaking the status bar to satisfy OEMs' notch fetishes, I'm guessing that's what it is. What else was even available across OEMs (since if shut up blegum had something without an OEM skin they'd have had the update a long time ago)?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Looks good.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I can't wait for phones to be just one big screen that wraps around the whole device.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The future is display balls

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I like that, although I'm surprised there's only one front facing camera.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

Given the only user-facing changes that come to mind involve Google breaking the status bar to satisfy OEMs' notch fetishes, I'm guessing that's what it is.

I could be wrong, but wasn't Google's own notch the only one that required breaking the status bar to accommodate it?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I feel like I'm in the minority with this as far this thread goes but I love tiny/no bezels, it really helps give a device a premium look and feel and is the most effective use of that space.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Incessant Excess posted:

I feel like I'm in the minority with this as far this thread goes but I love tiny/no bezels, it really helps give a device a premium look and feel and is the most effective use of that space.

I mean I've never used a bezel-less phone, but I feel like my thumb/palm would be constantly pressing things on the edge of the phone whenever I'm reaching across the screen. Is this not the case?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I have no issues like that with my Oneplus 7 Pro, even when doing stuff one handed. I believe they (manufacturers in general, not just oneplus) do some software work to differentiate between your palm and your finger and, well, it works.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I mean I've never used a bezel-less phone, but I feel like my thumb/palm would be constantly pressing things on the edge of the phone whenever I'm reaching across the screen. Is this not the case?

A decent case solves this usually. Also less fleshy hands :mrgw:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I solved this by keeping my phone on a selfie stick, and poking at the screen using another stick with a fleshy nub on the end.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

CLAM DOWN posted:

A decent case solves this usually. Also less fleshy hands :mrgw:

Lay off my thumbmeat :(

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

A premium look and feel is extremely overrated, plastic Nexus 5 or Pixel 3a and light as air instead of "solid feeling" is ideal imo

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

sourdough posted:

A premium look and feel is extremely overrated, plastic Nexus 5 or Pixel 3a and light as air instead of "solid feeling" is ideal imo

Honestly if they would just re-release the Nexus 5 with new updates and without bootloops I would buy it immediately. Especially the red one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Phosphine posted:

Honestly if they would just re-release the Nexus 5 with new updates and without bootloops I would buy it immediately. Especially the red one.

Mmyes, a plastic back connected by snaps, not glue, the thinnest metal frame LG could source, a mono speaker literally half as loud as my G6....

Like, forget about the expected upgrades (SoC, cameras, screen, ram, ssd, battery, backlight- dear God it needs an upgrade for this one), the build quality was rear end.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 28, 2019

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
My wife just shattered the screen on her Mate SE and in the process of changing phones, she realized that her Google Calendar events were all being saved to "Phone" instead of her Google account. I don't see any option within Calendar to change an event from local to cloud storage. She has hundreds of events she really doesn't want to lose. Any ideas?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

My wife just shattered the screen on her Mate SE and in the process of changing phones, she realized that her Google Calendar events were all being saved to "Phone" instead of her Google account. I don't see any option within Calendar to change an event from local to cloud storage. She has hundreds of events she really doesn't want to lose. Any ideas?

I don't understand really, but is she logged in to her Google account? And it's set to sync Calendar? I don't see how to save an event to "phone," that isn't an option when I make a new event and choose a calendar to save it to. Did she make them all before logging in to her Google account? Could be some fuckery by Huawei, too.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Turns out she was using Huawei Calendar so I actually need to export from local storage Huawei to Google Cloud.

Not looking good.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just ask China to restore a backup

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I could be wrong, but wasn't Google's own notch the only one that required breaking the status bar to accommodate it?

There were notches before that but at the time each OEM had to roll their own solution, some jankier than others. It was possible at launch to get the Essential notch to each icons. But at some point a standard way of dealing with abnormal status bars would had to have made it to Android itself and what better way to do that than to make it accomodate possibly the worst notch in the entire industry?

I think if we're being honest Google's handling of the notch situation was about as bad as it could be. One would imagine, given the prior work on the System UI Tuner and the immediate need for changing the status bar, that Google would just allow the user to configure the bar as they'd like. It's not like users haven't been exposed to UI tweaking on menu bars for decades and every user has different needs for visual indicators for both ongoing statuses and notifications. Maybe take the time to make a mode with a double-height, two row setup for the worst offenders (like their own phone) and present a sane default with a prompt to let users know there's a customizer.

Of course we know how that turned out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

Turns out she was using Huawei Calendar so I actually need to export from local storage Huawei to Google Cloud.

Not looking good.

Not blaming you or your wife, but the fact that we're still talking about this sort of thing in 2019 is depressing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Not blaming you or your wife, but the fact that we're still talking about this sort of thing in 2019 is depressing.

Dehumanize yourself and face to Android

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Given how things went down with Huawei, I'm inclined to argue that Huawei's decision to default to their own apps was obviously the correct call.

It's one thing to default everything to your duplicate apps because you think you're more important than the ecosystem that made you and you're just waiting for the day when you can fork it and just make everything your own, it's quite another when you're developing a parachute ecosystem because a nation-state is actively trying to pull the rug out from under you over a period of years.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is there any way to stop apps from automatically running when bluetooth connects? Spotify pops up in the status bar every time bluetooth connects.

I can hide its "now playing" notification but I'd like to see that when I use it to play music u know.

A Pixel 3 if it matters.

<3

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

The reason I encourage people in my circles to use last year's iPhone is because a) they're cheap-ish, b) aftermarket things like cases, chargers etc. are cheap and plentiful, c) you can get them repaired just about anywhere, and d) you need an @icloud Apple ID and that's it. Remember that and you're set.

Meanwhile in Android-land there's a mess of different manufacturers' online accounts, they all want you to use theirs exclusively, the guy at the phone store sees a comission payment coming a mile off, so people end up with like five different 'phone accounts' using three different email logins (good luck explaining how email@ispemail.com and email@ispemail.com (the Google account) are the same, but different).

The cyberpunk future's poo poo, and I hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Please elaborate!

The awful app icon is square now