Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Koalas March posted:

There is also a huge amount of privilege thrown in a lot of those posts holy moly

Especially dude from MI who said he'd happily throw his vote away and let Trump win, as if that's going to teach anyone a lesson.

My people fought and died for the right to vote for people who didn't give a gently caress about us. There's a very strong part of me that just wants to be like "Poor thing, you don't like voting for the lesser of two evils? We've been doing it for nearly a century so put on your big boy pants and make sure the worse guy doesn't win and remember we're still going to get hosed more than you"

But that's the point. They can afford the protest vote or to stay home. Some people can't.

Trans women here, a part of the demographic that literally has directly discriminatory laws/executive orders on the books against them. People shouldn’t be guilted into supporting the corrupt and immoral Democratic Party just because our entire political system is a hosed up sophie’s choice.

Oh but what do I know, not like I have skin in the game /s

edit: I’m also diabetic and have a disability, and 80% of democratic candidates would happily let me die for being poor so I’m a little tired of lesser evil bullshit

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine a lot of “gently caress Biden “ people itt will be cowardly voting for him next year because “have you seen orange Cheeto man “

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Punk da Bundo posted:

I imagine a lot of “gently caress Biden “ people itt will be cowardly voting for him next year because “have you seen orange Cheeto man “

most of the scum here will vote Trump actually, when bernie get nominated (inshallah)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

most of the scum here will vote Trump actually, when bernie get nominated (inshallah)

inshallah

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
This is the same loving bullshit I had to deal with in 2016 because lol berniebros (sure do love being called a man for wanting to not die) amirite?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

I only wish Bernie would throw you where you belong

You wanna meet me on the streets sometime, rear end in a top hat? I'll show you where the gently caress you belong.

Go ahead and probe me, mods. gently caress this place.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VH4Ever posted:

You wanna meet me on the streets sometime, rear end in a top hat? I'll show you where the gently caress you belong.

turn you're monitor on

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 29, 2019

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

VH4Ever posted:

Lol, lmao even

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol @threatening to fight somebody over D&D

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I agree to a certain length with “Vote Blue No Matter Who”. There’s just two problems that that kind of thinking can lead to.

One, it can lead to a serious level of uncritical thinking towards the primary candidates. I see it on message boards when a negative Biden article pops up. “Hey, a cheese sandwich would be better than Trump. I’ll support whoever isn’t Trump in the general.” The problem is that the entire field of Dem candidates are “not Trump”, so focus your efforts on picking the best one and really examine their pros and cons.

Two, it can lead to apathy. “We did it! Trump lost! Now I can go back to not thinking about politics. See you in four years!” Even If Bernie or Warren won the general, we all need to keep fighting and not slack when it comes to this poo poo.

I’m ok with “Vote Blue No Matter Who” as long as we don’t fall into the traps I stated above.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

VH4Ever posted:

Meltdown May has been over for a while, buddy.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Cerebral Bore posted:

Meltdown May has been over for a while, buddy.

Sure. Let's get gulags for everyone. Such productive discussion in here. gently caress the lot of you right now. Except KM.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tbh it is Sophie's choice and throwing your hands up, letting things worse because you're not getting what you want, hurts a lot more people and makes no loving sense

I would rather things stay status quo than get worse because worse is loving worse

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

volts5000 posted:

I agree to a certain length with “Vote Blue No Matter Who”. There’s just two problems that that kind of thinking can lead to.

One, it can lead to a serious level of uncritical thinking towards the primary candidates. I see it on message boards when a negative Biden article pops up. “Hey, a cheese sandwich would be better than Trump. I’ll support whoever isn’t Trump in the general.” The problem is that the entire field of Dem candidates are “not Trump”, so focus your efforts on picking the best one and really examine their pros and cons.

Two, it can lead to apathy. “We did it! Trump lost! Now I can go back to not thinking about politics. See you in four years!” Even If Bernie or Warren won the general, we all need to keep fighting and not slack when it comes to this poo poo.

I’m ok with “Vote Blue No Matter Who” as long as we don’t fall into the traps I stated above.

Agreed. I'm going to do my best to support an actual progressive candidate getting the Democrat nomination, but I think that, if it came down to it would be an abuse of my privilege to protest vote by supporting Trump, either overtly or by not voting for the nominated candidate.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

volts5000 posted:

This is exactly how I feel tbh

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Agreed. Biden 2020.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VH4Ever posted:

Sure. Let's get gulags for everyone. Such productive discussion in here. gently caress the lot of you right now. Except KM.

A sixer is a timeout, not a gulag, you dork.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

volts5000 posted:

Koalas March posted:

This is exactly how I feel tbh

This is the kind of reasonable posting that makes me think I visited the wrong forum by mistake.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Koalas March posted:

Tbh it is Sophie's choice and throwing your hands up, letting things worse because you're not getting what you want, hurts a lot more people and makes no loving sense

I would rather things stay status quo than get worse because worse is loving worse
I would gladly explain why this is dumb in the protest voting thread that we have for the explicit purpose of having this discussion.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

Well, that's fair, but the problem is that the status quo is literally unsustainable. This naturally will lead to people not caring if they're presented with two choices that won't actually fix things, because if you're hosed either way, then why bother? Regardless of the morality of it all, this is what is happening and will continue to happen unless an avenue for fixing poo poo presents itself.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

PerniciousKnid posted:

This is the kind of reasonable posting that makes me think I visited the wrong forum by mistake.

I dunno, most discussions on here are pretty reasonable.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Dammerung posted:

I dunno, most discussions on here are pretty reasonable.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, that's fair, but the problem is that the status quo is literally unsustainable. This naturally will lead to people not caring if they're presented with two choices that won't actually fix things, because if you're hosed either way, then why bother? Regardless of the morality of it all, this is what is happening and will continue to happen unless an avenue for fixing poo poo presents itself.

That's one of those lazy thought traps though. Again, black folks have been voting for yts who don't really care about us since we've been allowed to vote, that doesn't mean we stop trying to make things better or advocate for better people. Never stop fighting.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Im not throwing my hands up. I’m active in my local DSA. And climate change means “maintaining the status quo” is not a physical possibility

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VH4Ever posted:

Buddy, you need some Orb in your life, you should talk to Marianne

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

That's one of those lazy thought traps though. Again, black folks have been voting for yts who don't really care about us since we've been allowed to vote, that doesn't mean we stop trying to make things better or advocate for better people. Never stop fighting.

Electoralism isn't the only way to fight, and supporting the status quo gives the Status Quo Party no reason to ever change for the better

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Wait, hold on, is this a serious "Bernie or Bust" argument or an ironic "Williamson is the better candidate" argument?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

VH4Ever posted:

Looks like someone needs to align their chakras

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

Sure, but the important thing here is that a lot of people walk into that trap, and the amount is only going to keep increasing. Hell, if you want an example close to home, black turnout dropped to around 2004 levels in the 2016 election, so this is something that affects everyone.

Basically this is why having an actually good candidate is important, and lazy-rear end "I'm not Trump" poo poo isn't going to cut it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Tibalt posted:

Wait, hold on, is this a serious "Bernie or Bust" argument or an ironic "Williamson is the better candidate" argument?

Who the gently caress can tell anymore.

:iiam:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tibalt posted:

What do your chakras tell you

Also when did "electoralism" become pejorative

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

VH4Ever posted:

Another Bernie stan letting the mask slip.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

People who are for political violence but don't want to get probated, I think.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

My aura feels indigo with a little bit of dark yellow spikage

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The supposed Warren and Harris supporters on this forum are largely mythical. We don't have Warren "supporters" here, we just have bernie-or-busters and then a (shrinking) group of people willing to discuss second choice options and/or trying to discuss the practicalities of who might win rather than the moralities of who should. I have yet to see anyone actually post "I think Harris should win" just a few tentative steps towards "I fear Harris might win" which usually get shouted down.

eh, I'll come out as having Warren as my #1 candidate, with Bernie as a pretty close second. The wide variety of plans to address a multitude of issues, and issues within those issues, greatly appeals to me, especially when I'm close enough to the issue that I can see the positive impacts many of those plans would have (Such as her comprehensive public lands proposal). That's not to say that I don't think that Sanders will eventually have similar proposals, but the hardcore focus on these issues and the team of advisors she's put together leads me to believe that she would have a greater understanding of the underlying issues and thus be more effective at implementing policies that would otherwise be outside of Sanders' more narrow economic focus. But that's just me, and I can understand why others in this forum would disagree.

Anyway, speaking of plans, foreign policy! Warren's gotten a lot of flak on these forums for her foreign policy, so this is an interesting look at what her focuses as a President in that regard would be:

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1144636813803425793

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

VH4Ever posted:

You don't become a good communist by going to meetings, or by memorizing the manifesto; you do it on the streets, you do it with your fists

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

VH4Ever posted:

on friday in gulag you get 2 bowls of thin gruel

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You don't become a good communist by going to meetings, or by memorizing the manifesto; you do it on the streets, you do it with your fists

I like both tbh

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Real talk: VH4 is going through a rough time, cut him some slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

people keep claiming there are honest to god williamson supporters in this thread despite no-one having actually said something like "vote for williamson"

also, dunno why people are having arguments over whether to vote in the general, despite there being a pre-existing, excellent thread for discussing a topic that has little to do with the primary