Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Andrast posted:

Is there a platform where retroarch doesn't blow goats?

PC with a gamepad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Andrast posted:

Is there a platform where retroarch doesn't blow goats?

No, that’s like it’s core defining feature.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's especially bad on the 3DS though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Agreed, retroarch achieves its core objective of blowing goats better on the 3ds than on any other platform

It is second only to mame in this regard

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 29, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No, that’s like it’s core defining feature.

It's not that bad on PC considering it's features and options you can tweak.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It's okay on Android. And by that I mean I use it to play, like, one GBA game and it functions okay in that regard but if I try to do anything fancy with it I quickly long for the release of death

On 3DS it makes me long for the release of death whenever I use it

On PC with gamepad it's okay I guess

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

I have an OG OLED Vita which means I can use the 3G to SD adapter and I can't for the life of me remember why I picked it over the SD2Vita card. I definitely remember reading somewhere that the 3G to SD was the better choice, if you had the option. I honestly cannot even remotely remember why that this reason was though. Faster? Something to do with the Vita filesystem? I wish my memory didn't suck so much.

Anyway, a nice benefit I suppose is I can double my storage space by just buying the SD2ZVita, essentially giving my Vita two separate SD cards at the same time. :toot:

edit: It just popped into my brain. The SD2Vita creates an issue where the Vita constantly goes in and out of sleep mode unless it's in airplane mode. The 3G to SD adapter does not have that issue.

The latter drivers fixed the random wakeup issue: https://github.com/xyzz/gamecard-microsd/releases/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you use a microsd USB adapter instead of a usb hard drive in a hacked Wii? SD storage is so cheap these days, there really isn’t a point to putting a spinning disk in an enclosure for the Wii, it’s not like it will get even close to maxing out the read speeds of a modern microsd

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can you use a microsd USB adapter instead of a usb hard drive in a hacked Wii? SD storage is so cheap these days, there really isn’t a point to putting a spinning disk in an enclosure for the Wii, it’s not like it will get even close to maxing out the read speeds of a modern microsd

Why not just put it in the SD card slot then?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the Wii only supports SD cards up to a few GB.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've got a 32gb microsd in my Wii. Would have gone bigger, but it's all I had on hand. It doesn't seem to care about max size.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think it supports SDXC, so that 32GB probably is the max.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If memory serves right, it works fine with SDXC as long as you format as FAT32 and make less than 32GB of space available. Sometimes it works out the gate with FAT32, but if not, you can fill the space with whatever.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I recently hacked my Wii U and I'm curious about if I can go online with a Mario Maker backup? Do I need to run NNU Patcher first?
Also 5.5.4 went live after I installed Haxchi, and now I have the "download failed" icon on my home screen. Any way to get rid of that without updating? That kind of stuff bugs me but it's not a huge deal.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
There's no point not to update

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I recently bought a new3ds wanting to put cfw on it and I got a 64gb micro sd.

From what I understand, I need to format the new 64gb sd so the 3ds can work with it. Is the tool linked on the op's 3ds guide all I need?

Nintendo's site also has some guidance about how to format a new card before transferring over your old saves/profile, is that to be done after making the card usable by the 3ds in the first place?

And then after I've done that I can go about the steps to install cfw. Is the link in the op the best and most current process?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I recently bought a new3ds wanting to put cfw on it and I got a 64gb micro sd.

From what I understand, I need to format the new 64gb sd so the 3ds can work with it. Is the tool linked on the op's 3ds guide all I need?

Nintendo's site also has some guidance about how to format a new card before transferring over your old saves/profile, is that to be done after making the card usable by the 3ds in the first place?

And then after I've done that I can go about the steps to install cfw. Is the link in the op the best and most current process?

Just use guiformat on your PC and format it as FAT32 then you're good to go.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Thanks! I’ve been playing physical 3DS games since buying it, is it possible to transfer physical saves from the cartridges to the SD card if I want to install ROMs of those games to save me carrying them all around instead?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, I did the same thing with all my carts on 3ds, which is coincidentally also the origin story of why I went all digital on switch

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Probably not exactly the right place to ask this but anyone know how or have a good guide on getting a 360 Slim modded?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Thanks! I’ve been playing physical 3DS games since buying it, is it possible to transfer physical saves from the cartridges to the SD card if I want to install ROMs of those games to save me carrying them all around instead?

Yeah, I think Checkpoint is what people use these days for exactly this.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

E2M2 posted:

Probably not exactly the right place to ask this but anyone know how or have a good guide on getting a 360 Slim modded?

I'd be interested in this too. I've tried searching around once before and couldn't make sense of the modchips on the market or how to install them.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The 360 “scene” is notoriously disjointed in more ways than one. If it weren’t for Free McBoot being a thing m, super easy to install and share etc, the PS2 would have it beat.

Anyway, this is a decent place to start.

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/forums/xbox-360-modding-tutorials.43/

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Seems like a huge pain in the rear end. Looks like people do it for $80 on ebay.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

E2M2 posted:

Seems like a huge pain in the rear end. Looks like people do it for $80 on ebay.

Probably worth it. If I remember correctly, modding a 360 at the lowest level (basically only “enabled” piracy and nothing else) you had to pop it open and then just connect it to your PC via a SATA cable.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hacked my switch a few months ago and haven’t played it at all but I just turned it on and it’s asking me to system update. Is this safe to do?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

I hacked my switch a few months ago and haven’t played it at all but I just turned it on and it’s asking me to system update. Is this safe to do?

That's too vague of a question, you need to know firmware, what firmware you're updating to, fuses etc etc gbatemp is a better forum to get the right answer.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Don't do the system updates they ask you to.

If you want to update your system, look into Choi Dujor NX to do fuseless updates.

I've done a few of them and while I haven't wanted to, I could in theory reflash my system to the pre-hacked state and it would have no evidence of my tampering.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I picked up my PlayStation Classic from Best Buy and hacked it tonight. I haven't held a PSX controller in ages, are the ones that come with the PSC smaller than the original (it's probably just that I'm an adult now)?

Also I completely forgot that the included controllers are wired, but thankfully they're USB and I have a 6' USB extension cable, so that worked out nicely.

I slapped SOTN, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Tomb Raider on the console, and now the lineup's looking more like what it should have been. I'll probably toss Parappa and a Tony Hawk or two on there, but yeah, this was an insanely solid pickup for $20.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They're the same size as the original controllers, it's just that the internals are totally different. There's way less components inside of a PSC controller, making it feel lighter.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Every few years, I get reminded that the original PSX controllers aren't these:

As far as I can remember, my unit came with these and the first time I ever saw them without implants, it was like some backwards Frankenstein stuff.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The DualShock came out like a couple years later apperently.

Anyways, this is your reminder that the name DualShock refers to the fact that it has rumble.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also dual sticks.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also dual sticks.

No it actually refers to the dual vibration motors (not kidding)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fun fact: the sixaxis was named for the 8 possible directions you can push the controllers dpad

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No it actually refers to the dual vibration motors (not kidding)

Kinda both (there's no citation on that Wikipedia line, please add one if you found it). No one in the world owned the rumble-less analog controller so the dual stick was also new and unusual, as was the dual rumble.

It just amuses me that Sony's still calling their controller the DualShock when the origin/meaning of the name was pure 90s marketing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I was always under the impression that DUALSHOCK referred solely to their proprietary rumble solution which featured two counterweights rotating in opposite unison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

American McGay posted:

I was always under the impression that DUALSHOCK referred solely to their proprietary rumble solution which featured two counterweights rotating in opposite unison.
Maybe. But the name is also clearly a play on the original Dual Analog controller where "dual" did refer to the analog sticks.