Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I think I like the mob-looking prefect dude and the short skirt + big hoodie girl couple better than the other loud couple.

DrSunshine posted:

I like this! The combination of "girl that reacts loudly to things" plus "stupidly straightforward guy" kind of reminds me of Love Roma, which is a short series that I really enjoyed.
Oh god, Love Roma! Blast from the goddamn past. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I swear to God all these jerks better get together.

My Monster Secret has ruined me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wark Say posted:

Man, I think I like the mob-looking prefect dude and the short skirt + big hoodie girl couple better than the other loud couple.

Oh god, Love Roma! Blast from the goddamn past. :allears:

:):hf::)

Yeahhh. Fellow person who knows Love Roma! One of the manga that I just happened to randomly pick up off the library's shelf and love.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think it all started with the fact that a friend said that it referenced this song. That and discovering Solanin. It was a fun, if weird awakening to reading more manga than watching anime. Something that I still mostly do nowadays.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Watamote 160. The last panel is great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Asuka's friend is me. Finish the goddamn story for once Asuka! :argh:

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Watamote 161

I'm glad Ucchi and Tomoko have made up. :3:
Also, did it seem like the chapter just abruptly ended?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:lol: at the seating politics. Ucchi and Asuka grab the seats flanking Tomoko, with poor Yuri stuck at the next table as close as she can get.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I believe in a recent chapter of watamote tomoko commented basically "oh no, am I the normie now?"

Even if she has a thin layer of normie, underneath that she's still the same walking shitpost she always was:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I could never get past the amount of cringe I felt upon reading watamote.
This was back when it was all-cringe, and i was recently out of my cringey days. Should i read it now? If so, should I read the cringey bits?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Read it all because it's all great character development especially for later

Watamote: I FEEL THE CRINGE OVERTAKING ME. IT IS A GOOD PAIN.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 2, 2019

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Watamote started off as horribly uncomfortable for far too long and finally turned the corner into progress for the main character, but lately it's somehow just become "everyone wants to gently caress Kuroki for some reason."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know the craziest thing? How long Watamote's has been going. Remember when Tomoko appeared in a promotional with Yoshitake from Nichibros?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I had given up on Watamote because it was just cringe until somebody in one of these threads had said it's much better and shared this image of chapter 70 as the turning point. IMO, it's the authors informing people that yes, she needed to make friends and grow.

L-O-N fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 3, 2019

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

Watamote started off as horribly uncomfortable for far too long and finally turned the corner into progress for the main character, but lately it's somehow just become "everyone wants to gently caress Kuroki for some reason."

Well I think it's just Ucchi and maybe Asuka that are going that far.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Watamote 162

Where Tanabata is here again and Fuuka makes another dirty joke.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

aw man I’m paranoid they’re gonna end Watamote when she graduates

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They could then start watamote:the college years

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Watamote except she's grown up and it's just endless cringing about her youth

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Reallycoolname posted:

Watamote except she's grown up and it's just endless cringing about her youth
That'd be extremely relatable for me, and I'd definitely read it in the hopes it'd be somewhat therapeutic.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kidcoelacanth posted:

well the solution to this mystery is gonna be difficult to figure out since they've buried all our leads but it might have to do with 90% of the watamote fanworks being yuri fanart and doujins including 13 pages on dynasty scans filled with different art of the characters making out with each other, because tomoko's consistent overtones of attraction towards other women starting in some of the earliest chapters and the manga's varied and memorable cast who all have pretty fun dynamics with each other and experience growth through their relationships makes it a natural fit for that

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 6, 2019

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Colonel posted:

well the solution to this mystery is gonna be difficult to figure out since they've buried all our leads but it might have to do with 90% of the watamote fanworks being yuri fanart and doujins including 13 pages on dynasty scans filled with different art of the characters making out with each other

Whoever picks what goes in the images section at Dynasty Scans really, really likes Watamote

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the direction watamote's taken is interesting because it's a story of personal growth that's less about tomoko "reforming" into a less weird person and more about how she just kind of needs help keeping her head straight, and now that she actually has people who kind of understand her and are willing to spend time with her she's still kind of a weirdo and still has a lot of issues, but, she can think coherently and empathize with others a lot better and doesn't feel like she's trapped in a pit of endless loneliness and misery

MMania
May 7, 2008
So I can't seem to track down the specific thread where someone recommended reading Watamote starting at the school trip arc, but if one of those guys pop in here at some point thank you! It's like a totally different series than the anime, holy poo poo. Definitely going to go back and read through the whole thing at some point, knowing that it's not just Tomoko owning herself for 160 chapters will help me power through the early arcs. If anyone else is on the fence, I had only watched the first two eps of the anime when it first aired and I had no issues jumping in at chapter 69.

I guess i have a few Watamote-adjacent questions, the first is: are there any other stories that have such.. human characters? In the course of bingeing the manga I had this epiphany that no, these aren't "crazy wacky manga characters," but the most honest depictions of people in any form of media I have ever consumed. It took a while (probably because she is a minor character), but at some point I realized that Yuri was basically me in high school. I had a tiny group of really close friends and a lot of her interactions with not-friends was shockingly similar to my experiences. I guess I wanted to ask if any of the other characters hit really close to home to some of you guys?

Apologies in advance if anyone identifies with Kuroko!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Josei manga tends to have very relatable characters, in my experience.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StandardVC10 posted:

Whoever picks what goes in the images section at Dynasty Scans really, really likes Watamote
and hell, I can't blame'em

MMania posted:

I guess i have a few Watamote-adjacent questions, the first is: are there any other stories that have such.. human characters?
maybe give Akiko Higashimura's works a try, they're still goofy and a bit exaggerated characterwise but the characters also are written in such an understandable way most of the time.

Her autobiographical work, Blank Canvas, is a really good example. It's a really powerful series that she clearly poured her heart and soul into.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Can anyone recommend some nice and funny and cool manga or anime with the best reaction faces?

I just finished Hitoribocchi and Futari Monologue and am hungry for more in the same vein.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jitsu wa watashi wa (localization name: My Monster Secret)

It is jam packed with amazing reaction faces and is also very good at comedy and romance and all that jazz. Takes a little bit to rev up but once it gets going it's a hilarious ride for most of the rest of the series. Once the Horned Girl shows up the shenanigans portions really go nuts.

Read the manga, the anime fails to adapt it well.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MMania posted:

It took a while (probably because she is a minor character), but at some point I realized that Yuri was basically me in high school. I had a tiny group of really close friends and a lot of her interactions with not-friends was shockingly similar to my experiences. I guess I wanted to ask if any of the other characters hit really close to home to some of you guys?

Yuri is a really good character. She gets a little jealous, she prefers small groups, but the manga doesn't smack you over the head with it.

I found the early chapters funnier, but now agree with everyone else who says that the later chapters are overall better. As far as your question goes... I had some Tomoko-like tendencies in early high school, but was lucky to have enough friends to save me from my worst impulses.

Also this is neither here nor there, and I know the sweet delinquent character is terribly overused by now, but Yoshida is great.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Banchous/Sukebans/Chinpiras are cool and good. :3:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Can anyone recommend some nice and funny and cool manga or anime with the best reaction faces?

I just finished Hitoribocchi and Futari Monologue and am hungry for more in the same vein.

Here are some of my favorite comedies with great faces. They all have manga or anime forms, and they are all great except I would say stick with the manga for Chio-chan.

Nichijou (surreal daily life comedy)

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (romcom with a bunch of oblivious dorks, but focused on comedy)

Chihayafuru (mostly a sports show after the first 5 episodes, but a decent helping of comedy and romance too)

Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro (this one is rather lewd pretty frequently, but holy crap the funny faces)

Edit: also Hinamatsuri, + Tic Neesan, and Kase-san.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 7, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

read Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa it has incredible goddamn faces. the art is a little rough at the start but it gets really, really good

MMania
May 7, 2008

Agronox posted:

Also this is neither here nor there, and I know the sweet delinquent character is terribly overused by now, but Yoshida is great.

I'm reading this as the 'jerk with a heart of gold' trope, which I don't agree with. If you're talking about another archetype, what are some other 'sweet delinquents' that she's like?

Not trying to be confrontational, I'm completely obsessed with Watamote having just binged through 100 chapters and one of my hot takes at the moment is thinking that there are a dozen main-ish characters and none of them fit a trope. I more than willing to be talked out of this idea!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

MMania posted:

I'm reading this as the 'jerk with a heart of gold' trope, which I don't agree with. If you're talking about another archetype, what are some other 'sweet delinquents' that she's like?

Not trying to be confrontational, I'm completely obsessed with Watamote having just binged through 100 chapters and one of my hot takes at the moment is thinking that there are a dozen main-ish characters and none of them fit a trope. I more than willing to be talked out of this idea!

Just off the top of my head, other "sweet" delinquents:
  • Echizen from Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
  • Toramaru from Pashiri na Boku to Koisuru Banchou-san
  • Nako from Hitori Bocchi (well, I guess she's a fake delinquent)
  • Youko from Tonari no Furi-san ga Tonikaku Kowai
I wouldn't worry about someone being a cliche anyway. Besides, Watamote has been going on for so long it might've gotten in on the ground floor.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Not the same style of comedy, but Grand Blue (Dreaming) has some powerful reaction faces. Read if you want to see a bunch of college guys get drunk and naked and occasionally go scuba diving.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

MMania posted:

So I can't seem to track down the specific thread where someone recommended reading Watamote starting at the school trip arc, but if one of those guys pop in here at some point thank you!

That's probably me :3: The author really has an excellent eye for group dynamics and I'm glad Tomoko's growth didn't come at the expense of her own strangeness (it just became less self destructive) and how by being true to herself she encourages other people to also be their authentic selves instead of conforming blindly.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Vesi posted:

That's probably me :3: The author really has an excellent eye for group dynamics and I'm glad Tomoko's growth didn't come at the expense of her own strangeness (it just became less self destructive) and how by being true to herself she encourages other people to also be their authentic selves instead of conforming blindly.

If you were the one who posted the image of the her fleeing the movie theater, then I was inspired by you to give Watamote another chance too. :)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
GTO had some great faces too. It was licensed, but it's been ages since Tokyopop went basically out of business.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know this is anime, so apologies to manga-only goons, but here's a little reaction faces appreciation post.

Golden Boy

Gintama

Daily Lives of useless High School Boys

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Good Luck Girl!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's time for Bocchi to go on the school trip!