Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I feel like a game that tried to have lots of mysteries deliberately wouldn't scratch the same itch, either. Those ones become a sort of nerd crowd source thing and quickly get solved.

Maybe a good approximation would be playing a game in a different language with others who don't know the language so you'd have to create your own wiki to document spawns and drops and strategies and secrets and theories. Though maybe Google translate is good enough to have a different language not be a big hurdle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Allakazam had loot drop lists in like late 1999 dude. See that quote above by Pardo. People could google the whole time, some just didn't know it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like a game that tried to have lots of mysteries deliberately wouldn't scratch the same itch, either. Those ones become a sort of nerd crowd source thing and quickly get solved.

Maybe a good approximation would be playing a game in a different language with others who don't know the language so you'd have to create your own wiki to document spawns and drops and strategies and secrets and theories. Though maybe Google translate is good enough to have a different language not be a big hurdle.

IDK the souls community is pretty healthy, mostly because of mysteries and half-truths

People haven't changed

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah most of the problem is mmos lead you by the nose through some story nowadays. in eq you had to find quests with word prompts and poo poo. it tossed you into a world. i played ff14 for a little less than a week and it was obnoxious.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah most of the problem is mmos lead you by the nose through some story nowadays. in eq you had to find quests with word prompts and poo poo. it tossed you into a world. i played ff14 for a little less than a week and it was obnoxious.

getting hyped for shadowbringers and then resubbing and getting disappointed with FFXIV for this exact reason is what got me on this treacherous journey of leveling a shadowknight on p99

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

opulent fountain posted:

getting hyped for shadowbringers and then resubbing and getting disappointed with FFXIV for this exact reason is what got me on this treacherous journey of leveling a shadowknight on p99

My friend still raids and is excited for shadowbringers but the last time I tried resubbing to FFXIV I got so bored so fast. Its just so mindless.

Go place, talk to guy, kill dudes, talk to guy, go new place.

FFXIV looks amazing, but I don't really care for how it plays. WoW plays a bit better but looks uglier by a mile and is still mindless.

God help me I may actually play classic wow for awhile. The quests were dumb there too but at least you had to think to get around, and the world felt fuckoff huge because transport was a huge pain.

Teleportation is so convenient but man does it ruin scale and immersion like instantly. EQ has such a good balance with how it lets you teleport but only through specific ways that are themselves a bit of a task. And you can't just teleport from anywhere to anywhere anytime.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I'll definitely resub to WoW classic, but mostly as a nostalgic event. it's a dead end game but it'll be fun for a while.

nazutul
Jul 12, 2006
Lemme tell you something, boy
Thinking about getting back into p1999. How's the population? Is it worth getting back into?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Not sure when you left but things are probably mostly the same on blue as far as population and the largely good and helpful community until you reach the high end raid scene. A new timeline-correct server is coming this fall, which will assuredly pull 2k players if not more for the first few months, which will be really cool but also likely a poo poo show of camp disputes, trains, and overcrowded leveling zones for a similar time period. In other words, classic as gently caress.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Does anyone play on Red? I’ve been on and
off of this for awhile and I’d love to play again. I’ve got a 26 SK and a 30 Ench. I’ve been duo’ing MM with another random Enchanter but I want more people to play with. Red pop is a very, very sad number to look at in comparison to blue though.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Zaphod42 posted:

Allakazam had loot drop lists in like late 1999 dude. See that quote above by Pardo. People could google the whole time, some just didn't know it.

The difference being that at the time of its heyday, Allakazam was still primarily user edited and it had a *lot* of incomplete data. Mobs often had misleading information or it was an entry with a picture and loot tables of questionable accuracy. The only stuff that got tracked really well was the things that got a lot of traffic (like epic quests). Data mining wasn't nearly as ubiquitous as it was in WoW and a lot of high end content on the wiki sites was purposely stifled because big raid guild had to compete with each other for bosses / loot and they considered strategies and things trade secrets.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Someone please talk me out of getting back into this lame 20 year old game!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

No.

Do it.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
The only thing stopping me is that I haven't downloaded the Chardok patch.

RIP FREE TIME

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

poolside toaster posted:

The only thing stopping me is that I haven't downloaded the Chardok patch.

RIP FREE TIME

Play until it isn’t fun and then immediately quit

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
They're launching the new server in October I think so I'm waiting until then. No point in grinding a character out now when I wanna play on that new one anyways.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ehud posted:

Play until it isn’t fun and then immediately quit

This is what I do. Every year I play for like a month.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

poolside toaster posted:

Someone please talk me out of getting back into this lame 20 year old game!

If you choose to play now, treat Blue like a test server so you can refresh your skills and try out a few classes before Green comes out. Green will be the great equalizer.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm looking forward to trying to play a melee class on Green and giving up after an hour.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Playing a warrior out the gate in vanilla EQ must be a brutal experience.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I was gonna make a rogue, but yeah. Warrior will be especially unpleasant.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Every class is unpleasant. We were just too dumb to realize it 20 years ago.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
There is something satisfying about grinding up a melee class and getting your first good weapon legitimately rather than having someone gift it to you. I remember playing in 1999 and my brother managed to get a Minotaur Axe and that was a nice rear end weapon for a Dwarf Warrior in Scarab armor scratching and clawing his way up.

I feel like the most likely class for me right now is a Shaman unless I decide to troll myself and go Wizard or something. Shamans are just so good though and they stay good every patch.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
One thing to also consider on green is that getting around is going to be much harder for a good chunk of time. There won't be 500 people who can cast SoW in every zone, and you're going to have to use the stupid boats until people grind up druids and wizards high enough. I'm thinking of making a barbarian rogue, but leveling him somewhere besides Everfrost. While hide/sneak will get me through basically everything (VERY VERY SLOWLY), getting to a different leveling zone is going to be a challenge. I may just go to Qeynos and call it good, rather than leveling in Greater Faydark like I'd prefer to.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Where can I find more info on the ruleset for Green? Is it just a progression server?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I have a brain disease so I've gotten a necro up to 46 and spent the last two days camping for jboots. I kind of want to start a shadowknight on green. Don't start.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jabro posted:

Every class is unpleasant. We were just too dumb to realize it 20 years ago.

Every class is unpleasant but Warrior is like holy god drat jesus gently caress horrible.

Wizard is pretty bad too because it makes you an antisocial loser for like 3 years until you get to raiding level, but Warrior wins out by just being so goddamn soul-crushingly boring and especially terrible as a first character.

Ginette Reno posted:

I feel like the most likely class for me right now is a Shaman unless I decide to troll myself and go Wizard or something. Shamans are just so good though and they stay good every patch.

Druid and Shaman are just so much easier and better to play as than like every other class in the game.

Magician and Necromancer and Enchanter are next up for me. Everything else is pretty rear end.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Enchanter is the best class in any video game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Are there any other games that have spell management on the level of EQ? I always found managing your spellbook and limited memorized spells to be a really cool and rewarding and immersive experience.

Arx Fatalis did really cool things with magic... most other games they're just abilities same as swinging a sword.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
warriors turn into gods at lv60 with good gear though, rip earthshaker + infinite ripostes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

please knock Mom! posted:

warriors turn into gods at lv60 with good gear though, rip earthshaker + infinite ripostes

Wizards turn into gods too. Its not worth it. EQ is more about the journey than the destination, unless you're an extreme poopsocker.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Every class is unpleasant but Warrior is like holy god drat jesus gently caress horrible.

Wizard is pretty bad too because it makes you an antisocial loser for like 3 years until you get to raiding level, but Warrior wins out by just being so goddamn soul-crushingly boring and especially terrible as a first character.

Druid and Shaman are just so much easier and better to play as than like every other class in the game.

Magician and Necromancer and Enchanter are next up for me. Everything else is pretty rear end.

I like Mage/Necro a lot too but those are more my gently caress off and solo classes. I usually always have one or the other for when I just wanna quietly grind in random spots.

Of course Shamans can both solo hilariously well and are also awesome in groups so there's always that option with them too.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Vargs posted:

Enchanter is the best class in any video game.

Heed this man, he speaks truth.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Didn't charm used to be almost useless early on since it would break much more readily than it does on live now?

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Might be fun to play a Bard for the 4th time..

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Republicans posted:

Didn't charm used to be almost useless early on since it would break much more readily than it does on live now?

Yeah, on p99 charm has three high thresholds: charisma, -mr, and scaling level difference. An untwinked enchanter is going to have a hard time controlling their pet, especially at low levels. On Live that formula has completely changed to the point that most people don't even actively bother with stacking charisma or -mr.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

KingFisher posted:

Might be fun to play a Bard for the 4th time..

I played a Bard to like level 52 on Red and enjoyed it but I don't know if I'd want to play one again. It's a lot of work mashing 3-4 keys all the time every fight.

Of course I say that as someone that likes Shamans who also require a lot of work but you can be a little lazier on a Shaman if you want or depending on your mana available.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ginette Reno posted:

I like Mage/Necro a lot too but those are more my gently caress off and solo classes. I usually always have one or the other for when I just wanna quietly grind in random spots.

Of course Shamans can both solo hilariously well and are also awesome in groups so there's always that option with them too.

Doesn't it take quite a while for Shaman solo to really take off? I remember it being kind of not great before Torpor/Cannibalize and your DoTs getting real fangs in them rather than being a nuisance.

Granted, once they come online, they come online hard. I remember back in the day on live I think in Luclin/PoP era we had a guild shaman that could solo Lozdial.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

Doesn't it take quite a while for Shaman solo to really take off? I remember it being kind of not great before Torpor/Cannibalize and your DoTs getting real fangs in them rather than being a nuisance.

Granted, once they come online, they come online hard. I remember back in the day on live I think in Luclin/PoP era we had a guild shaman that could solo Lozdial.

They can do solidly with it. You can melee stuff early on if you have a good weapon, and even if not you can root rot enemies.

It gets exponentially better once you have torpor and the epic and all that but they can level without that stuff just fine solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Anarch posted:

Yeah, on p99 charm has three high thresholds: charisma, -mr, and scaling level difference. An untwinked enchanter is going to have a hard time controlling their pet, especially at low levels. On Live that formula has completely changed to the point that most people don't even actively bother with stacking charisma or -mr.

The other way round: a mob can break charm if it beats 3 checks, level difference, magic resistance and, as a far third, the charisma of the caster. Since enchanters get an MR debuff and charisma buff pretty early on, and they get the extra check on charisma (druids, necromancers, shamans and bards do not get it so the mob can break charm way easier) they are pretty good at charming from level 16-20 onwards. A charisma score of about 180 is fine while leveling. Maxing out your charisma is useful if you're charming nameds 50+, when your int is good and you absolutely want to leave nothing to chance.

Of course, "good" is in the context of classic EQ.