Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Medullah posted:

Maybe not the best place to ask, but what the hell.

I got a really nice patio furniture set, the chairs are pretty big and not really realistic to move inside when it rains. Are there any recommendations to cover them to keep the set dry when it rains short of a big ugly tarp?

Are they not designed to be left outside?

Yes, they make outdoor furniture covers you can put on them. Just google "outdoor patio furniture cover" and browse around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Just take any cushions off and store them somewhere dry. The furniture frames should be designed to get wet.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Unless it's unpainted metal, cover your patio furniture. Amazon has a billion outdoor furniture covers in a variety of sizes.

Even if it is unpainted metal, cover it. Nothing like walking out to your patio/deck/whatever on a nice day and not being able to sit down because everything is covered in bird poo poo.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TacoHavoc posted:

How confident do you feel about the appraisal vs offer value? People who buy a house (especially a hundred year old one) and ask for cosmetics rather than just reflecting it in the offer are kind of a red flag for me. If you think it will appraise, I'd be more likely to go with the 5% offer.

It’ll appraise.

But I think the real issue here is that the family from CA has no experience with 100 year old homes, and the other couple is local, older, and very familiar with the old homes of NE Ohio.

The first buyer sent me an escalation clause when they heard about the second offer. I don’t really care about squeezing another 5% out of the house, I just want the process to be as low drama as possible.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Residency Evil posted:

What's the best way to get a better looking lawn? My lawn is full, but has its share of weeds/crabgrass. Is buying one of those 4 step systems by Scott or something enough?

This got buried by Competing Offers Thunderdome, but your best bet if you have weeds/crabgrass is going with a round or two of broadleaf herbicide, followed up by overseeding. After that, mow it pretty high (3"+, depending in species), preferably mulching. I've also had good success with corn gluten as an organic pre-emergent/fertilizer.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Jealous Cow posted:

It’ll appraise.

But I think the real issue here is that the family from CA has no experience with 100 year old homes, and the other couple is local, older, and very familiar with the old homes of NE Ohio.

The first buyer sent me an escalation clause when they heard about the second offer. I don’t really care about squeezing another 5% out of the house, I just want the process to be as low drama as possible.

I mean, you're trying to sell a house. You don't get any of the down payment money at closing so what does it matter how much somebody puts down? I would take the buyers with less inspections in a heartbeat. It's less out of pocket that you have to pay (maximizing your profit) and the deal will be less likely to be torpedoed by something a multitude of inspections would discover. I can guarantee you that the California couple would use the inspections against you to get a lower price.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheWevel posted:

I mean, you're trying to sell a house. You don't get any of the down payment money at closing so what does it matter how much somebody puts down? I would take the buyers with less inspections in a heartbeat. It's less out of pocket that you have to pay (maximizing your profit) and the deal will be less likely to be torpedoed by something a multitude of inspections would discover. I can guarantee you that the California couple would use the inspections against you to get a lower price.

Local couple is also proposing a 60 day closing where the others are proposing 30.

I’m probably going to counter the local couple with a faster closing and dangle the escalation clause from the other buyer that I’m not using to drive the price up as a sign of good faith.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've got a natural spring at the edge of my lawn. Even in dry weather there is a little area where 3-6" of standing water collects in a 5 foot diameter.

It's making the lawn insanely muddy and I bet it gets absolutely huge in rainy months (I just moved in a week ago).

The property slopes off hard into some wetlands about 8 feet away from the spring... Maybe I can just cut a channel and have it drain by gravity? Or plant a weeping willow and just absorb it all?!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've got a natural spring at the edge of my lawn. Even in dry weather there is a little area where 3-6" of standing water collects in a 5 foot diameter.

It's making the lawn insanely muddy and I bet it gets absolutely huge in rainy months (I just moved in a week ago).

The property slopes off hard into some wetlands about 8 feet away from the spring... Maybe I can just cut a channel and have it drain by gravity? Or plant a weeping willow and just absorb it all?!

Bottle it up and sell it as Chris’ Nectar.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's the only water with real Chris Bits™ in every gulp!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's the only water with real Chris Bits™ in every gulp!

Shame you don't have a septic system!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

Shame you don't have a septic system!

Or does he :tinfoil:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

skipdogg posted:

Are they not designed to be left outside?

Yes, they make outdoor furniture covers you can put on them. Just google "outdoor patio furniture cover" and browse around.

Yeah I edited my post shortly after to say I found a bunch on Amazon because I'm not smart and posted here rather than searching. :D

They are designed to be left outside, but the cushions aren't removable and as we discovered Saturday night, they take a bit to dry off. So in the interest of no more wet rear end nights, I'm going to get some covers for them.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Medullah posted:

Yeah I edited my post shortly after to say I found a bunch on Amazon because I'm not smart and posted here rather than searching. :D

They are designed to be left outside, but the cushions aren't removable and as we discovered Saturday night, they take a bit to dry off. So in the interest of no more wet rear end nights, I'm going to get some covers for them.

I purchased a grill cover and a smoker cover of the brand "classic accessories" that are tqn and brown and love them. Better quality than the covers that came for those originally, have lasted a few years so far.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

All this water is from running my sprinkler system. We've got heavy rain coming this Thursday/Friday so it's going to be interesting to see what gets hosed up and how badly.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Plant trees, shrubs, and/or tall vegetation. It'll soak it up and you don't have to mow it. You could try a tile drain but that's a pain to try ans save what sounds like a 10x15 section nof lawn. Plant some pollinators and bird habat and enjoy the wildlife.

What region do you live in? Assuming the US, large swaths of the country have been having a tremendous amount of rain, and we're just coming off what are typically the rainiest months during the growing season.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Anybody have a good recommendation for some interior door handles that come in both lockable (with a knob/button) and dummy varieties? They need to be satin nickle. My mom wants to replace all the hideous brass door knobs and hinges inside her house with satin nickle and I'm trying to get her to convince her to use handles and not knobs when she does this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sirotan posted:

Anybody have a good recommendation for some interior door handles that come in both lockable (with a knob/button) and dummy varieties? They need to be satin nickle. My mom wants to replace all the hideous brass door knobs and hinges inside her house with satin nickle and I'm trying to get her to convince her to use handles and not knobs when she does this.

I just redid my house with these. I like 'em just fine. The Dummy versions are $10 per single lever

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
You're looking for a privacy set, that's the button or thumb turn lock, and passage sets, which have no lock. You might actually also mean dummy but those generally are just for a push pull, with no latch at all. Those don't get used much.

I've ordered a lot of hardware from directdoorhardware.com as they have good pricing, selection, and the website is pretty good.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanks, I'll forward both of those on.

And yeah, I meant dummy knobs, she's got a bunch of hallway closets that use them.

Edit: lol at the Kwikset Balboa 4-pack being more expensive than just buying 4 of them separately. Nice work, Home Depot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I thought I could just fake fix this cursed saddle tap by replacing just the stinger valve thing, but obviously that was wrong. When I really saw the corrosion I was ready to buzz down to Home Depot for a real quarter turn valve and the rest but I didn't want to go so late. So on went a new saddle tap that I swear I'll replace some day. After I finish painting the master bedroom and moving a couple of sprinklers and patching a hole from the doorbell and hanging wallpaper but definitely before or during or after the remodel of the master bath.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why the gently caress would you hang wallpaper in tyool 2019, OP

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

maybe they're part of one of those wills where like you have to sleep 3 nights in a haunted house in order to inherit it, but in this case they have to ruin a house's interior with frustrating bullshit, but they weren't able to find any old cans of lead paint so they went with the next best thing

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I love wallpaper. We did a wallpaper accent wall in a bedroom and it looks pretty sharp. Fight me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

since you like wallpaper i can deduce that you're the ghost of someone who died before the end of the victorian era, cause that's how old and out of touch you'd have to be to like wallpaper

and i don't fight ghosts so :shrug:

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Wallpaper is coming back in. They just call it 'modern wallpaper', so that you don't confuse it with Aunt Gertrude's purple-red floral pattern wallpaper from the 50s. Many of the HGTV design shows are using it, if only for a single wall of a room.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I don't give a fart what you think of my design choices.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Look the previous owner hosed me hard with their projects, you bet I'm going to pass that on to the next guy.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Modern wallpaper is easier to remove, right?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If you're in my house, 120 year old plaster walls with cracks and patches that the paper covers up!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StormDrain posted:

I don't give a fart what you think of my design choices.

Post pics of the wallpaper pattern!! I'd love to see what modern vogue is after just finishing up 4 rooms of pink floral poo poo

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
From the BWM thread:

spwrozek posted:

If he went from a one bedroom to a 4 bedroom just to fill it would easily run 10k. Heck you buy a solid wood dining table and that could be 10k easy alone.

We were thinking about getting a dining table and chairs from a place like this:

https://www.barnfurnituremart.com/amish-dining-room-sets/

We're going to go fiddle with it in person but before we deal with a trip out is there some obvious scam here I am missing? It seems really cheap for hardwood furniture.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!

H110Hawk posted:

We were thinking about getting a dining table and chairs from a place like this:

https://www.barnfurnituremart.com/amish-dining-room-sets/

We're going to go fiddle with it in person but before we deal with a trip out is there some obvious scam here I am missing? It seems really cheap for hardwood furniture.

I can't speak to their tables but I got 3 bookshelves from them for basically the same reason (nicest looking cheap hardwood). It's not artisan work by any means and the backs are pretty cheap pressed wood, but they look way better everything similarly priced.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm in love with just about all the wallpaper choices that Anthropologie sells: https://www.anthropologie.com/wallpaper?page=1 They're all expensive as gently caress, and I'd only use it to create an accent wall in a room painted in complementary colors.

In a previous apartment I almost bought a couple rolls of this:

https://www.newwall.com/shop/wallpaper/marimekko-collection/biloba-13043/

Kinda bummed to now see it's discontinued.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 29, 2019

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
if you have a lot of dark wood, wainscoting and leather chairs, etc this kind of wallpaper would look good in an evil Victorian study or smoking/drinking room.

there are some very nice modern wallpapers out there but it has to be done in just smaller areas and in conjunction with woodwork.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
So I buy mine all from "wallpaper direct". Yes if you're keeping track I do prefer to buy from places that have direct in the name. You can find it yourself and see. There are thousands of choices. Some of them are $300 or more per roll, which are some beautiful designs but no way do I want to buy 10 rolls for a room.

I have floral with hummingbirds and pineapples. I took these just for you Chris.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I like that!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can you take a picture of the table with a bowl of strawberry-filled hard candies on it

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

StormDrain posted:

So I buy mine all from "wallpaper direct". Yes if you're keeping track I do prefer to buy from places that have direct in the name. You can find it yourself and see. There are thousands of choices. Some of them are $300 or more per roll, which are some beautiful designs but no way do I want to buy 10 rolls for a room.

I have floral with hummingbirds and pineapples. I took these just for you Chris.

I can appreciate this but I’d never buy a house with this in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Any suggestions other than dehumidifier to make a basement smell less basementy? I've got a nice big one in the new house and am hoping to camp out in it on some hotter days, but it's definitely got a funk even with the dehumidifier running 24x7