Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

vicky 2 is a perfect game and there is no need for a sequel

*stares at victoria II-esque self in mirror* i'm...6/6/6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Groogy posted:

I like how whenever someone brings up "here was something bad in Vicky 2" there's always someone responding "That's just the game being historically accurate" :colbert:
History is bad.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Groogy posted:

I like how whenever someone brings up "here was something bad in Vicky 2" there's always someone responding "That's just the game being historically accurate" :colbert:

"It's impossible to understand the economy!" "uh I think you'll find that no one actually understood the economy!?"

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

It helps that we have all this great primary documentation of the period, so most dumbass poo poo that happens can easily be justified by humans in general being dumb as poo poo.

vvvv

Nothing like extending a war after you've decisively won for a couple more months just so you can make sure it'll take more than five years for them to recover to being near the same level of threat

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 28, 2019

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Vicky 2 had pretty good combat because killing the enemy army meant you killed the enemy army. No recruiting a hundred thousand more, no hiring mercs out of nowhere, they're dead, and their homelands are going to miss them for the forseeable future.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jeoh posted:

:five:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

OpenV2 will be a cult classic if the dude sticks the landing

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I always found the things that happen in Vicky 2 late game to be thematically appropriate even if they're literally unrealistic. Hundreds of thousands of anarcho-liberal revolutionaries being mowed down with machine guns and gas all across Europe didn't really happen, but it may as well have. The end of the long 19th century was some apocalyptic poo poo

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Jeoh posted:

counter point- vicky 2 is a flawed game, and i really want vicky 3. vicky 2 will still be there after

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the genius of victoria lies in accidentally trying to figure out how social poo poo worked for the game when IRL people were trying to do the same thing

like how planned economy was loving awesome to get your poo poo going because your capitalists loving sucked but later on it was just way too annoying to micromanage everything so you let them have it and you could do something else, but ofc that meant the liberal threat coming up to power and loving up all your beautiful industries

the only strategy game that has managed to get close to the sublime

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

I always found the things that happen in Vicky 2 late game to be thematically appropriate even if they're literally unrealistic. Hundreds of thousands of anarcho-liberal revolutionaries being mowed down with machine guns and gas all across Europe didn't really happen, but it may as well have. The end of the long 19th century was some apocalyptic poo poo

Yeah Vicky 2 is weirdly the only historical paradox game where the endgame feels entirely historically plausible - you flow through the 19th century with the occasional minor war that looks and plays like an EU4 war, then population numbers start to ramp up and crises start to happen and the game ends with the great powers throwing millions of their citizens at each other in a bloody meatgrinder and the losers collapsing in revolution.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's also one of the time periods where the amount of control that the player has over their country is kinda plausible, as well as a time when a lot of countries went through their own blobbing.

European nations in the 18th century (and into the end of the Napoleonic wars) were bound up in aristocracies and nobility often working at cross purposes as opposed to having a strong, centralized government.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I like Vicky 2 because when you break an enemy late-game, you absolutely shatter them. Constant civil wars with the government switching every few months and every possible ethnic group deciding that yes, today is the day for us to be our own country. It might have trouble representing a lot of what actually happened (1848 isn't nearly chaotic enough, I'm not sure I ever managed to make the Second French Empire in an unmodded game, etc.) But the game itself feels like you're trying to run a country in that era with only the foggiest clue what is going on.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah Vicky 2 is basically what you'd get if WW1 hadn't shocked everyone out of the 19th century mindset but instead just made them double down.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ugh. Every time you guys talk about V2 I want to play and it and then I don't have any fun. :mad:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Fintilgin posted:

Ugh. Every time you guys talk about V2 I want to play and it and then I don't have any fun. :mad:

If you're not already listening to podcasts or other music when playing V2 add the original Vicky soundtrack to V2's music folder, makes it 200% better

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Farecoal posted:

If you're not already listening to podcasts or other music when playing V2 add the original Vicky soundtrack to V2's music folder, makes it 200% better

Not eu2 music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z59pTPDZs

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Farecoal posted:

This. I honestly treat it as a sort of banzai tree sim with the pops as the leaves, and then sometimes (a lot of times) the AI goes nuts somewhere and poo poo starts falling apart

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
But you do literally no difference to make the leaves grow, if you were there or not pretty much doesn't matter.
e: Trying to point at your opportunity to intervene is pretty much non existent. You can have the richest POP's in the world, but they'll still starve because they can't access wool. (Can't buy all of their life needs it counts as if they starve)

Groogy fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 1, 2019

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

This. I honestly treat it as a sort of banzai tree sim with the pops as the leaves, and then sometimes (a lot of times) the AI goes nuts somewhere and poo poo starts falling apart

I can't tell if that's an auto-correct/typo, or a pretty good pun

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Groogy posted:

But you do literally no difference to make the leaves grow, if you were there or not pretty much doesn't matter.
e: Trying to point at your opportunity to intervene is pretty much non existent. You can have the richest POP's in the world, but they'll still starve because they can't access wool. (Can't buy all of their life needs it counts as if they starve)

Your mistake is not borrowing furiously to build battleships, battleships being the most efficient investment any country can make in improving its economy.

e; everyone knows wool isn't sold to the buyer with the best offer, it's sold to the buyer with the most impressive number of battleships. because sheep farmers are impressed by ships

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Also did a little experiment while I was off on lunch, kept game running without any interference from me and just let it run throughout the entire timeframe. Madagaskar is just fine, only £1.5k in debt in fact it seem to even be making a profit now without any capitalists or any factories. Good to know that the game actually doesn't need me to have fun itself.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jul 1, 2019

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
But it has more fun if you're there and wondering wtf you just did to make the world economy collapse. Oh it was the railroads that increased my output and ruined everything!
It's still one of my favorite games ever and I would love a Vicky3 with similar mechanics.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I'm not saying it's not fun. I just like poking at people since it got this weird cult formed about it and I know all of the ugly insides of the game.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I got vicky 2 a ways back but still haven't played it yet. I loaded it up and looked at the different countries and clicked around and stuff but I was pretty overwhelmed by it all. From reading this thread I take it that no one really understands it and I should just jump in and watch the chaos unfold even though I have no idea what's going on? That sounds like it could be fun.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Yeah, to start off just pick a country and see what happens. Prussia into Germany's good; once you get hegemony over Austria you'll pretty much be able to run Europe. US is your own North American playground so long as you don't piss off the UK early. Japan is meant to be interesting with the expansion modernizing mechanics but I haven't played it in vanilla Vicky. Sardinia-Piedmont into Italy can be fun if you stay buddy-buddy with France until you unite.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Groogy posted:

Should POPs even want wool? Shouldn't they just want clothes (and then the question of the wool supply is passed off to clothes factories and artisans)?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Nah believe the original idea is that it is sorta subsistence living. You get the fabrics so you can make your own simple clothes. The needs for POPs hampers the economy a bit because it is really odd. A simple farmer can get a hold of grain, fish, wool and cattle which is almost everything he needs for base life needs. But he can't afford that damned fruit so to hell with it he would rather starve than having to deal with this primitive life style!

Also Slaves are great to have as they have no life needs, their everyday need is a humble amount of coal to warm themselves and real luxury for them is some opium.

e: Please don't take out of context. :ohdear:

e2: Also I realized just now that Capitalists/Aristocrats, even a super well made off one, will buy wool even if they can buy clothes in order to sew together their own clothes... Really don't peer into the details of the economy, it breaks the illusion quite hard.

e3: Oh a single Capitalist buys 20 Opium compared to a single Craftsman that will buy like 1.5 Liqour or 0.45 Coffee. Checking at start of game in India, one single RGO with 700k workers produce 28 Opium. Vicky 2 the game about where the poor Capitalists destroys an economy to fund their Opium Addiction.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 1, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Groogy posted:

Vicky 2 the game about where the poor Capitalists destroys an economy to fund their Opium Addiction.

Seems historically accurate.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Again, Groogs, you keep making these posts about how Vicky doesn't make sense and don't seem to frok why this makes it even better

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oh yea, Vicky 2 is a broken game in many ways. But it also captures the spirit of the period in many ways like no other game does, and thats what keeps the desire for Vicky 3 alive.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Oh yea, Vicky 2 is a broken game in many ways. But it also captures the spirit of the period in many ways like no other game does, and thats what keeps the desire for Vicky 3 alive.

As much as I really want Vicky 3, it's going to be hard to top this bit, I think.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Help, its 1900 and an anarcholiberal revolt has arisen in India lead by ex-east indies capitalists to secure a supply of "that good poo poo"

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Again, Groogs, you keep making these posts about how Vicky doesn't make sense and don't seem to frok why this makes it even better

Groogy posted:

Vicky 2 the game about where the poor Capitalists destroys an economy to fund their Opium Addiction.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Groogy posted:

I dunno man sounds like it's WAI

E: Beaten :argh:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I hope Vicky 3 is fun and also makes sense. Please don't hurt me :(

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So.....not Vicky.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

CharlestheHammer posted:

So.....not Vicky.

If you didn't understand Ricky, you have no one to blame but yourself.

e: And the UI really, but if you're here to claim any Vicky game needs a terrible UI..

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Victoria owns.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is it true that even the Paradox devs don’t understand how the Vicky 2 economic system works?