Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Z. Autobahn posted:

Like if you have even the slightest interest in a primary thread with actual differing opinions and meaningful debate, this poo poo should be probable without a moment's hesitation

lmao, gently caress you and die, liberal

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"I will continue to rabidly attack all the people who are saying they support Bernie and are looking for alternatives should it come to it if Bernie is not the nominee. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk"

Also I really want to see Trump and Williamson debate for the sheer spectacle, and in the hope that she legit hits him with a spirit bomb

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 30, 2019

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Punk da Bundo posted:

i mean , as so far as Warren is very enthusiastic about capitalism and wants to tweak it instead of admitting the whole thing is a sham and will lead to the United States undoing .

She’s not “worse” than Trump . she’s just effectively the same.

Phi230 posted:

No I don't agree she's a fascist or just as bad as trump

She's a SOCIAL fascist, big difference

How do we square those statements, aren't social fascists different than fascists? Hence Warren different from Trump?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the alternative to Bernie is to hold our breath , vote for somebody like Warren who has again and again shown she will side with special interests and capitalism , will water down her policies ...etc etc

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

That toxx is amazing, holy cow

Trabisnikof posted:

Please they’re “Marianettes” disparagingly and Marianne’s Angels lovingly.
Two superb gangtags right here.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Z. Autobahn posted:

Like if you have even the slightest interest in a primary thread with actual differing opinions and meaningful debate, this poo poo should be probable without a moment's hesitation
I mean I think there's broad agreement we don't want Republicans in here saying racist stuff, so I think there is very clearly at least one set of differing opinions that shouldn't be welcome. I'd also, personally, prefer that people not be allowed to come in here and blatantly lie about Warren's positions on Israel, but I gather the agreement there is less broad. If you have an actual opinion worth defending then just post it and defend it. If you find your defense coming up short, no one wants to hear you whine about other posters.

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 30, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean, you could answer the question I posed, but I thought we had all kind of dropped the subject.

Comparing Warren supporters to Trump supporters is kind of lovely.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Tibalt posted:

I mean, you could answer the question I posed, but I thought we had all kind of dropped the subject.
I could, but you are just a liar, so I don't see why I should play along after exposing you as a liar.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Typo posted:

How do we square those statements, aren't social fascists different than fascists? Hence Warren different from Trump?

I know this will blow your mind, but those are opinions and they are coming from different people

Wild stuff

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

I'm gonna chime in real quick and say that no, it is very much those 3-4 extremely obnoxious posters that make this thread basically unbearable and drove most of us away. Like, you're right that folks like you and Marjoran and even VS, while we disagree, are actually engaging and interesting to talk to and I feel like I often learn something or have a worthwhile conversation. But the "Warren is a fascist and if you back her you're worse than Trump" moron brigade is *really* loving annoying and they post constantly and make this thread unbearable.

A poster who just said over and over again "Bernie is a loving loser communist and if you back him you hate black people" would get banned, and justifiably so. Debate and discussion is one thing, hell being funny is one thing, but there's absolutely a cadre of angry annoying Bernie-or-Busters who genuinely contribute nothing and yet are allowed to just run wild itt. It sucks and is annoying and it's absolutely why I left.

Like I would absolutely enjoy a thread where I could talk to you and other folks and genuinely discuss something like this, but this thread ain't it.

I think there's just an actual ideological difference (and that actual ideological differences are usually the cause of arguments like this). Those people disagree about where the line between "total garbage politicians" and "non-garbage politicians" is (specifically in regard to Warren). That is an actual opinion someone can have that reflects their worldview, and that worldview can then possibly be debated. The comments they make probably wouldn't bug you if aimed at Republicans, or even conservative Dems, so it's not their tone so much as their content that's the issue. It's possible for both you and them to think Bernie is the best candidate, but to still have different evaluations of the individual candidates.

My personal feeling is that, while their opinions are stronger than mine (in that I don't really feel compelled to insult Warren or anything, and I more or less understand where Warren supporters are coming from), I generally agree that it makes more sense to consider Warren one of the "non-Bernie" candidates, rather than consider Bernie and Warren to be part of the same "group" of left-leaning candidates. And I don't really like the idea of just being like "it's fine if you support either Bernie or Warren, since they're both good :)" since I actually don't think that's fine; Bernie will need all the votes he can get if he wants to both win and avoid a contested convention.

So basically what's really going on here is that people disagree about how bad Warren is. Some people consider speaking badly of her to be ridiculous or insulting, because for those people Warren falls within the realm of what they consider to be good, and even if those people think Bernie is better, the fact that they consider Warren to still be "good" still reveals a real disagreement between them and the people they're bothered by.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Unoriginal Name posted:

I know this will blow your mind, but those are opinions and they are coming from different people

Wild stuff

I would like to see an ernest conversation btwn those two people are on the nature of fascism vs social fascism and whether they are the same

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Ytlaya posted:

I think there's just an actual ideological difference (and that actual ideological differences are usually the cause of arguments like this). Those people disagree about where the line between "total garbage politicians" and "non-garbage politicians" is (specifically in regard to Warren). That is an actual opinion someone can have that reflects their worldview, and that worldview can then possibly be debated. The comments they make probably wouldn't bug you if aimed at Republicans, or even conservative Dems, so it's not their tone so much as their content that's the issue. It's possible for both you and them to think Bernie is the best candidate, but to still have different evaluations of the individual candidates.

My personal feeling is that, while their opinions are stronger than mine (in that I don't really feel compelled to insult Warren or anything, and I more or less understand where Warren supporters are coming from), I generally agree that it makes more sense to consider Warren one of the "non-Bernie" candidates, rather than consider Bernie and Warren to be part of the same "group" of left-leaning candidates. And I don't really like the idea of just being like "it's fine if you support either Bernie or Warren, since they're both good :)" since I actually don't think that's fine; Bernie will need all the votes he can get if he wants to both win and avoid a contested convention.

So basically what's really going on here is that people disagree about how bad Warren is. Some people consider speaking badly of her to be ridiculous or insulting, because for those people Warren falls within the realm of what they consider to be good, and even if those people think Bernie is better, the fact that they consider Warren to still be "good" still reveals a real disagreement between them and the people they're bothered by.

What I think you're missing is that the issue at hand isn't the ideology they believe in, but the means by which they express it. Obviously you and I have some disagreement, but I'd never consider you to be an obnoxious poster, but on the other hand, you've never told me I'm as bad as Trump or to gently caress off and die like a bougie lib. In terms of basic thread quality, there's a seismic difference between "Warren is clearly worse on Israel than Bernie and there's good reason to doubt the sincerity of her commitment to m4a" and "Warren is a fascist like Trump, eat poo poo and die you liberal dog". One is an attempt at an actual conversation and communicates information, the other is just unfettered hostile shitposting.

The posters who make this thread unbearable aren't bad because they have bad ideology, they're bad because they rarely argue with anything resembling substance but respond to anything resembling a dissenting opinion with a torrent of vitriol.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 30, 2019

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

What I think you're missing is that the issue at hand isn't the ideology they believe in, but the means by which they express it. Obviously you and I have some disagreement, but I'd never consider you to be an obnoxious poster, but on the other hand, you've never told me I'm as bad as Trump or to gently caress off and die like a bougie lib. In terms of basic thread quality, there's a seismic difference between "Warren is clearly worse on Israel than Bernie and there's good reason to doubt the sincerity of her commitment to m4a" and "Warren is a fascist like Trump, eat poo poo and die you liberal dog"

The posters who make this thread unbearable aren't bad because they have bad ideology, they're bad because they rarely argue with anything resembling substance but respond to anything resembling a dissenting opinion with a torrent of vitriol.

Shut the gently caress up, liberal.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Z. Autobahn posted:

What I think you're missing is that the issue at hand isn't the ideology they believe in, but the means by which they express it. Obviously you and I have some disagreement, but I'd never consider you to be an obnoxious poster, but on the other hand, you've never told me I'm as bad as Trump or to gently caress off and die like a bougie lib. In terms of basic thread quality, there's a seismic difference between "Warren is clearly worse on Israel than Bernie and there's good reason to doubt the sincerity of her commitment to m4a" and "Warren is a fascist like Trump, eat poo poo and die bougie lib"
The fact that Ytlaya doesn't think you should gently caress off and die is a matter of ideology. If someone came in here and sincerely said "You must write in Trump on your Democratic primary ballot to assist in the purge of Muslims from our country" would you engage them in an earnest debate or would you tell them to gently caress off and die?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Z. Autobahn posted:

Pretty sure Judakel, Phi, and Punk da Bundo would all agree with that statement?

edit: okay maybe they'd leave it as 'as bad as supporting Trump', not worse

"Warren is as bad as Trump" is an insane statement, they only agree on the desirability of one genocide

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

I've been reading voraciously and lurking for weeks. I'm glad to see at least some discussion about options if Bernie isn't the democratic nominee. I wanted Bernie in 2016, voted for him in the primary, and fervently want him to be our next president.

However, just like I plugged my nose and voted for Hillary (tho the nomination was stolen from Bernie) I will absolutely vote for probably whoever the loving democratic nominee is because Trump is WORSE. I'm still pissed af at everyone who didn't vote or we last time - the Supreme Court alone is a good enough reason to have voted. It's as simple as that. To not vote is a vote for Trump.

Let me be clear (lol) I REALLY want Bernie.
But we *may* have to settle, and if we do I hope it's Warren. 🤷‍♀️Life loving sucks.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

guestimate posted:

I've been reading voraciously and lurking for weeks. I'm glad to see at least some discussion about options if Bernie isn't the democratic nominee.[…] I will absolutely vote for probably whoever the loving democratic nominee is because Trump is WORSE.
Why would you want to discuss options if you've already picked a strategy?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

guestimate posted:

I've been reading voraciously and lurking for weeks. I'm glad to see at least some discussion about options if Bernie isn't the democratic nominee. I wanted Bernie in 2016, voted for him in the primary, and fervently want him to be our next president.

However, just like I plugged my nose and voted for Hillary (tho the nomination was stolen from Bernie) I will absolutely vote for probably whoever the loving democratic nominee is because Trump is WORSE. I'm still pissed af at everyone who didn't vote or we last time - the Supreme Court alone is a good enough reason to have voted. It's as simple as that. To not vote is a vote for Trump.

Let me be clear (lol) I REALLY want Bernie.
But we *may* have to settle, and if we do I hope it's Warren. 🤷‍♀️Life loving sucks.

This isn't the protest vote thread. That said, don't blame the voters for Clinton's terrible campaign, that's all on her.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

Good question. In fact, why have this thread at all? Everyone’s already made up their mind, apparently.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
duh, quote is not edit

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Z. Autobahn posted:

What I think you're missing is that the issue at hand isn't the ideology they believe in, but the means by which they express it. Obviously you and I have some disagreement, but I'd never consider you to be an obnoxious poster, but on the other hand, you've never told me I'm as bad as Trump or to gently caress off and die like a bougie lib. In terms of basic thread quality, there's a seismic difference between "Warren is clearly worse on Israel than Bernie and there's good reason to doubt the sincerity of her commitment to m4a" and "Warren is a fascist like Trump, eat poo poo and die you liberal dog". One is an attempt at an actual conversation and communicates information, the other is just unfettered hostile shitposting.

If you tell me you'd like to slow see me starve to death, and -chosen Republican Nazi cutout here- tells me he'd like to shoot me, I'm not going to respond with anything but torrent of vitriol to either one of you.

You are not the same but you are equally worthless to engage

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

generic one posted:

Good question. In fact, why have this thread at all? Everyone’s already made up their mind, apparently.
I am no authority, but I would hazard a guess that this thread is for discussing the Democratic Primary 2020, and not for options we might choose after the primary has concluded in a hypothetical where Sanders has not won. Let me know if I'm wrong!

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

I am no authority, but I would hazard a guess that this thread is for discussing the Democratic Primary 2020, and not for options we might choose after the primary has concluded in a hypothetical where Sanders has not won. Let me know if I'm wrong!

It’s not much of a discussion, though. It’s two percent actual primary news, and the rest is all back and forth poo poo that could be relegated to the protest voting or lesser of two evils voting threads.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

generic one posted:

It’s not much of a discussion, though. It’s two percent actual primary news, and the rest is all back and forth poo poo that could be relegated to the protest voting or lesser of two evils voting threads.
If it's your stance that this thread is useless, that is your opinion, don't involve me in this nonsense.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ogmius815 posted:

Guys Marianne Williamson is not going to be the democratic nominee.

:toxx:If Marianne Williamson is the democratic nominee, I will get a tattoo of VitalSign’s choice on a part of my body ordinarily covered by clothing. :toxx:

There’s a non-zero chance you come out of this with a new life as a Roger Stone cosplayer. Godspeed, sir.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tibalt posted:

Comparing Warren supporters to Trump supporters is kind of lovely.

I feel like the guy doing it wasn't being entirely serious, because he was responding to a straw man but it is in fact bad to support only minor changes to status quo

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

twodot posted:

If it's your stance that this thread is useless, that is your opinion, don't involve me in this nonsense.

twodot posted:

Yes, why have a discussion at all? It’s all nonsense, anyway, especially if it’s an opinion I don’t share.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

generic one posted:

Yes, why have a discussion at all? It’s all nonsense, anyway, especially if it’s an opinion I don’t share.
Again, I think discussing the Democratic Primary 2020 in the Democratic Primary 2020 thread is good. If you disagree leave me out of it.
edit:
Or, I guess, just express an opinion I could agree or disagree with, that would be an improvement.

Actually let me help you out here. This is what an opinion looks like "It is important that we discuss options that we might choose from after the primary has concluded in a hypothetical where Sanders loses, in the Democratic Primary 2020 thread, because <literally any reason>"

twodot fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 30, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
in the behind the bastards debate-analysis bonus episode, robert evans has an extended fantasy about being kissed by bernie sanders

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

How are reparations going to fix being made sterile from measles, unable to breathe from whooping cough, trapped in an iron lung from polio or cervical/throat cancer? Tell us, how does that work out?

You folks really don’t understand the dangers these diseases cause and maybe you should take a loving biology class before “ironically” supporting this poo poo again. This isn’t actually funny.

And anyone else going on and on about how “it’s weird you’re talking about this issue but no other” need to loving can it. One can have direct experience in an issue and choose to speak on it, but stand back and listen to others who are more experienced in other issues. It’s arrogant in the extreme to believe that one is an expert on every different issue and experience.

Edit: yes, I see he’s a loving gimmick but he’s not the only one minimizing basic loving public health. You know what’s really hosed up about vaccinations? They’re so basic and so fundamental to public health that even red states support them. Mississippi is famous for not allowing any non-medical exemptions for vaccines. Yes, loving Mississippi. West Virginia as well. CA and NY finally joined them but only very recently.

The AMA should change the name of smallpox to “irony rash.”

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
For me, someone has to break the stranglehold that corporations have on our government. Bernie is obviously good on this. Warren’s fight to build the CFPB and her very public attitudes against Wall Street make me believe she’s good on this as well.

If a candidate can reject lobbying and corporate money like them, I feel like our voices would carry more weight and Warren’s weaknesses could be fought easier. With Biden’s dirty money, he doesn’t have to listen to a drat thing we say.

I know I could be wrong about this and, ultimately, I’m not going to be the deciding vote. I just feel that’s why Warren is better than the other non-Bernie candidates.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I think there's just an actual ideological difference (and that actual ideological differences are usually the cause of arguments like this).

Shitposting as ideology.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1145153225902964736

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Warren is better than the non Bernie candidates , but does that say Warren is good or the candidates are just that atrocious .

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Put Bernie, Hitler and a dead raccoon in a room and then argue passionately that Hitler is relatively very similar to Bernie

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

volts5000 posted:

For me, someone has to break the stranglehold that corporations have on our government. Bernie is obviously good on this. Warren’s fight to build the CFPB and her very public attitudes against Wall Street make me believe she’s good on this as well.

If a candidate can reject lobbying and corporate money like them, I feel like our voices would carry more weight and Warren’s weaknesses could be fought easier. With Biden’s dirty money, he doesn’t have to listen to a drat thing we say.

I know I could be wrong about this and, ultimately, I’m not going to be the deciding vote. I just feel that’s why Warren is better than the other non-Bernie candidates.

Perhaps my greatest disappointment with Warren other than her cavalier attitude towards Palestine, is that she’s admitted she plans to accept PAC and corporate money in the general election if nominated.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Calibanibal posted:

Put Bernie, Hitler and a dead raccoon in a room and then argue passionately that Hitler is relatively very similar to Bernie

Dead raccoon would be better than Hitler. I, for one, welcome our deceased trash panda overlords.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Perhaps my greatest disappointment with Warren other than her cavalier attitude towards Palestine, is that she’s admitted she plans to accept PAC and corporate money in the general election if nominated.
This is a perplexing one for me, because while I could understand both "I'll take any idiot's money, their views won't corrupt mine" and "I won't accept money from rich people to demonstrate my commitment to loving over rich people", the stance of "Well I don't really need rich people's money in the primary, but I do need their money in the general" is devoid of both principles and practicality. I have no clue what she thinks she is signaling with that mixed strategy.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

twodot posted:

This is a perplexing one for me, because while I could understand both "I'll take any idiot's money, their views won't corrupt mine" and "I won't accept money from rich people to demonstrate my commitment to loving over rich people", the stance of "Well I don't really need rich people's money in the primary, but I do need their money in the general" is devoid of both principles and practicality. I have no clue what she thinks she is signaling with that mixed strategy.

Could be “I won the base without your help. You’re stuck with me as the dem nominee now. Take it or leave it.”

I could be giving too much credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Calibanibal posted:

Not surprising that Bernie stans itt want to minimize and decenter the accomplishments of Harris, Warren and Williamson.

God forbid we criticize the cop, former republican, and witch doctor, comrade.