Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

megas were so good. hopefully gigantimaxing will fill the gap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bleck posted:

I hope there is not a person around who would sacrifice more pokemon for more particle effects

I believe they were arguing against the assertion that the graphics have not been improved at all with SwSh, not necessarily saying that the graphical improvements justify the cutting of the roster in SwSh.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm enjoying Sun a lot more than AS or X so far. I really like how much better the environments are in terms of not just beings grids anymore. The constant cutscenes are a little annoying but I appreciate having a denser story and the trials instead of gyms

Cutiefly is my favorite new Pokemon so far

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
let me put it this way; who the gently caress cares if the new Mario game has Ray Tracing Technology on all the textures or whatever if they had to sacrifice Mario to do it

like hey yeah maybe it looks real purdy or whatever but uh what about my boy, Super Mario

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I just want Blastoise to shoot water out of his cannons again.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I would gladly sacrifice most of Gen 2 for nothing, so getting particle effects in return would be gravy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I believe they were arguing against the assertion that the graphics have not been improved at all with SwSh, not necessarily saying that the graphical improvements justify the cutting of the roster in SwSh.

Yeah, people are trying to catch Masuda in a lie, or make it out like they haven't been improving move animations at all, while at the same time ignoring the ones that are actually improved. All I did was describe how Corviknight's Megahorn was an improvement over the last gen's version.

People are manipulating the issue by ignoring some examples and overplaying others, instead of just honestly saying that they don't think better animations on some moves are worth it. It's not enough that Game Freak made a decision they disagree with, they have to be lying or incompetent too.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 30, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I would throw all of Gen 2 and honestly like half of Gen 4 on the pyre if it meant that there would be more pretty lights in my Pokemon game.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Funky Valentine posted:

I would throw all of Gen 2 and honestly like half of Gen 4 on the pyre if it meant that there would be more pretty lights in my Pokemon game.

I understand this is a children's video game but gently caress you :mad:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Licarn posted:

I would gladly sacrifice most of Gen 2 for nothing, so getting particle effects in return would be gravy.

Funky Valentine posted:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bleck posted:

let me put it this way; who the gently caress cares if the new Mario game has Ray Tracing Technology on all the textures or whatever if they had to sacrifice Mario to do it

like hey yeah maybe it looks real purdy or whatever but uh what about my boy, Super Mario

Then say that.

Don't post the same overposted image of a Rabbit doing an imaginary kick like it proves we're being sold a lie, while obfuscating the rest of what they've presented. Just talk about how you don't think better move animations or graphics are worth what we've lost. And certainly don't act like "ray tracing" or "particle effects" is the only part of what's being presented as a counterargument.

And it's not even really like they're sacrificing Mario. Mario is still there. Maybe Peach isn't, or she got replaced with Toadette. Or maybe they didn't put Wario or Waluigi in like everyone seems to think the New Super Mario Bros. series should do.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Licarn posted:

Funky Valentine posted:

Mods?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

indigi posted:

sounds like you just want a spreadsheet

YER drat RIGHT

And yeah if they're gonna prevent you from bringing stuff over after you become champion/postgame thing, that's also poop. Just straight poop.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Licarn posted:

Funky Valentine posted:

Same, going back to gen 2 after 20 years made me realize how bland all those designs are, even the starters look boring! And most of gen 4 had truly dire pokemon designs, although I don't like gen 4 in general.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'd smash a Joltik with a hammer for five bucks; a Goomy for a dollar.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Whole lots of hosed up posters online, tonight.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Getting real mad over fictional monsters.

But yeah, Gen 2 seems to take a lot of its design cues from Sanrio characters: Rounded shapes, bright colors and simpler designs compared to Gen 1 (either real creatures with monster features or kaiju-like monsters scaled down) or Gen 3 and beyond (more complex and esoteric designs, wider color palette).

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
If I can't explore the Scottish countryside with Misdreavus, the replacement ghosts had better be cutey and spooky too.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

As long as the game doesn't force me to use any motion controls, ⚔️🛡️ will be fine in my books.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

murkrow dunsparce and heracross alone cement gen 2 as top tier. and when cuties like larvitar mareep and espeon enter the fray..... a critical hit !!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tyranitar is still one of the all time greatest Pokemon designs

Houndoom, Steelix, Scizor, the Eevees, the Mareep line, the legendaries are all insanely good and strong designs, Sneasel, Crobat and Misdreavus are all standouts

There are better gens and the starters are on the whole worthless but it still has some really great designs

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Star Man posted:

I'd smash a Joltik with a hammer for five bucks; a Goomy for a dollar.
I am pro Sword Shield but this Star Man does not speak for me. I would protect Joltik with my life.

Nodosaur posted:

People are manipulating the issue by ignoring some examples and overplaying others, instead of just honestly saying that they don't think better animations on some moves are worth it. It's not enough that Game Freak made a decision they disagree with, they have to be lying or incompetent too.
Thank you for summing up exactly what I hate about the current state of Sword/Shield discourse.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
In summation I would like Junichi Masuda to be eaten by a Houndoom

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nodosaur posted:

The other patches change because they are too far away to be relevant and thus are not important to render as highly visible. At the very least, what you described proves that it's deliberate, because it shows an active change based on the player's proximity.

The rain's only function is to influence/change encounter tables; immersion is secondary. This is ultimately a subjective matter, though, and I won't tell you you're wrong for preferring that they do it that way.

That seems the opposite to me; the bright grass lighting is simply done via proximity and overrides ambient lighting automatically, rather than deliberately.
But yeah, if its a stylistic choice then its opinion. We are 4 months from release so I dont expect that much change, but this could still be polished by then.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

In summation I would like Junichi Masuda to be eaten by a Houndoom

Given my preference for gen 4, I'd rather have Masuda end flash frozen by an Abomasnow.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I would like Masuda to not be the face a pokemon and instead take a more hands-off producer role so nerds stop talking strange poo poo about him.

Not necessarily you guys, but as much as i am disappointed on swsh looking like trash, the guy doesnt deserve the harassment he's getting.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

qnqnx posted:

Given my preference for gen 4, I'd rather have Masuda end flash frozen by an Abomasnow.

abomasnow has already been confirmed as in, luckily, because it's just that fantastic

mega-abomasnow, however, has been shot and thrown off the top of Mt. Coronet

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

From everything I've read, ice types seem to be both too slow and to fragile. Is Abomasnow an exception or are we talking strictly about being rad?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

abomasnow has already been confirmed as in, luckily, because it's just that fantastic

mega-abomasnow, however, has been shot and thrown off the top of Mt. Coronet

finna cry

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TheKingofSprings posted:

starters are on the whole worthless

say that to cyndaquil's face

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

TheKingofSprings posted:

starters are on the whole worthless

feraligatr is a cool gatr and he has sheer force, and anything with sheer force makes my eyes light up like that i sleep/real poo poo meme

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

d3lness posted:

From everything I've read, ice types seem to be both too slow and to fragile. Is Abomasnow an exception or are we talking strictly about being rad?

I'm looking at its Smogon entry, and apparently it's not currently considered very good; Mega Abomasnow is NU and the base form is Untiered. However, Abomasnow was UUBL in Gen 4 and UU in Gen 5; perhaps the removal of non-Galar Dex Pokemon will give it the chance to shine again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why does everyone, including Gamefreak, insist on misspelling Obamasnow?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Why does everyone, including Gamefreak, insist on misspelling Obamasnow?

That's how I pronounce it if it makes you feel better.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Bell_ posted:

If I can't explore the Scottish countryside with Misdreavus, the replacement ghosts had better be cutey and spooky too.

Mimikyu is in.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Farecoal posted:

say that to cyndaquil's face

What do you get when you take Charizard’s base stats then take away the Charizard

You get gently caress all

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TheKingofSprings posted:

What do you get when you take Charizard’s base stats then take away the Charizard

You get gently caress all

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cyndaquil is loving boss

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
The only good thing about cyndaquil is it doesn't evolve into a fighting type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I remember reading about how Masuda was hospitalized during the development of RSE. This is the guy they're saying doesn't care about the quality of the franchise or its games.