Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

somepartsareme posted:

i mean we are only like 20 chapters into the manga. maybe they're trying to set up too much too quickly but i think it is too early to say things are being dropped
True, I didn't think about that, and maybe 'dropped' is a bit strong, but for an anime viewer, this is like halfway through a season so maybe the feeling is a bit off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Honestly, at this point my big question is.... We have a demon lady doctor, who studied demons for god knows how long and is pretty knowledgeable about them, to the point she feels that she will be able to create cure for demon-hood from basically nothing, if she has necessary material available. So....Why didn't Tanjiro asked her for a way to restore Nezuko's mind? We already know that just being demon doesn't mean you automatically turn into bloodthirsty abomination or that you need to kill and consume humans, as demonstrated by demon healer lady and her apprentice and restoring a human mind of a demon should be a lot easier than just inventing a demon cure. The fact that Tanjiro didn't even care to ask and that anime didn't even address the issue of Nezuko's mind, when someone who could be able to help with it is right there bothers me quite a bit.

I thought they made it pretty clear that Tamayo was pretty unique (and that she may have used her blood demon technique on herself to free herself of Muzan's grasp), and the demon guy she made whose name I'm blanking on took decades of fiddling to do properly.
So neither is really useful for Tanjiro (and Nezuko).

And the demon blood would be a cure, but ... you have to get it first. POSSIBLE SPOILERS REMOVED.

Sorry if it was, folks. My B.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 24, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Spoiler comments

Your putting some spoilers in here. As the structure of the Twelve Demon Moons has not been explained yet.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 24, 2019

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't see how any of that is really a spoiler given the flashback this week

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Expect My Mom posted:

Okay, Yushiros, it's fine I wasn't questioning the integrity of Lady Tamayo, I understand her function in the story and that she'll return but it just seems this story adds or drops characters and ideas pretty quickly. Like it's not a stretch for me to think that Tanjiro will be draining and storing blood from the demons he's killing, but I have to just think Well, He Does It. How will Nezuko deal with being a demon and that her brother dedicates his life for her and undergoes grueling training? Oh she doesn't, she just naps for seven hundred days until there's room for her in the story. Same with the three other Demon Hunters we see at the exam final that don't get named or barely talked to by Tanjiro or each other until it's time for electric boy to be in the plot.

I guess I just want this story to chill out a bit and breath, but it's a bit of revolving door on a lot of fronts. Which is totally understandable is this as the creator's first big work and she's pretty young, it's just a bit frustrating is all

This is fair, I might have read too deply into her saying "They're too weak"

All of the seemingly important people are important even if they seem to disappear for a while

hth

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The series doesn't forget this stuff and actually does some really wild callbacks to it at points.

It's not particularly elegant about it however since they don't foreshadow any of it coming back... It just kinda, happens

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I heard Inosuke's voice for half a second and knew that I knew it but couldn't place any character that sounded like that. So I checked and yup, Soma and Kirito. But like, those guys if they were batshit loving crazy which turns out is the best possible voice cause I am already in love with Inosuke after two scenes and I don't see that changing ever. What a good beast boy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This episode, Tanjiro literally kills a guy with kindness

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Too good of a boy

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Inosuke was a right fucker though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that whole scene got drawn out a lot and inosuke looks a lot worse for it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Manatee Cannon posted:

that whole scene got drawn out a lot and inosuke looks a lot worse for it

It did not seem much longer in the manga. He looked like a right fucker there too.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
That boarheaded jackass now has a lot of ground to make up for after beating up on Good Boy Zenitsu like that. :colbert:

I'm surprised they gave the demon an actual flashback amidst this, but it really further cements how Tanjirou actually showing sympathy for demons is such a key point to his character.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The back half of the episode was not paced well at all. You've got Tanjiro sitting there in stunned silence for like...half a minute watching Zenitsu get stomped on. And then we flash back and get to see him get stomped on again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It did not seem much longer in the manga. He looked like a right fucker there too.

you get 2 panels of inosuke kicking zenitsu in the manga (1 in ch25 and one in 26). the bit where inosuke is just kicking him after he falls over doesn't even happen; zenitsu falls and it goes right to tanjirou stepping in. I'm not saying he came off as a nice guy in that scene but the anime made that into like half the episode. also tanjirou reacts to it immediately rather than waiting around to say anything

the demon fight was great but I really think they bungled the second half of the episode

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Manatee Cannon posted:

you get 2 panels of inosuke kicking zenitsu in the manga (1 in ch25 and one in 26). the bit where inosuke is just kicking him after he falls over doesn't even happen; zenitsu falls and it goes right to tanjirou stepping in. I'm not saying he came off as a nice guy in that scene but the anime made that into like half the episode. also tanjirou reacts to it immediately rather than waiting around to say anything

the demon fight was great but I really think they bungled the second half of the episode

There was no need to spend 5 minutes elaborating on what was going on there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay yeah, just watched the ep and wowzas they made Inosuke look a whole shitload worse here.
Unsure if editorial decision or padding for time.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The first half of the episode also felt like padding for time. Way too many scenes of Tanjiro saying it would be hard to get to the demon

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

They should have ended this episode on the "reveal"
Would have fixed all the issues.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay yeah, just watched the ep and wowzas they made Inosuke look a whole shitload worse here.
Unsure if editorial decision or padding for time.

it's def padding imo. a bunch of scenes get drawn out and stuff gets added but usually it's fine. like the flashback with urokodaki and the demon during the selection was like 2 panels in the manga but they fleshed it out in a good way in the adaption

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They really wanted to open with Tanjirou vs Inosuke for some reason for next episode. I guess it has to do with where they very specifically want to end.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Inosuke is an impulsive violent rear end here, though. I don't think it's a big deal even if they're just drawing it out for time, it establishes his character. Even if it makes him look worse it also gives Zenitsu some redemption for the initial whiny coward thing. What's really important is they're all the best, but not as the best as Inosuke.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Inosuke is a blunt instrument. But in the end also a good boy.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

somehow they made the cat cuter :3:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
excellent post/av, that

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah the back half of this one felt like a lot of stretching so that they could end on a specific moment.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I haven't read the manga so I won't make any comparisons but it definitely felt weird how all of that was happening yet it took that long for Tanjiro to snap and actually do something. Not to mention the repeated scenes. It definitely felt poorly paced like they were trying to stall for time.

But hey, I like Zenitsu a lot more now after his defense of Nezuko's box for a purely selfless reason.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

According to MAL, this is going for 24-26 episodes. I feel like if they're trying to end at a specific point, they can do better than padding that awful. The episode ended on a profoundly uncool note as well. Real bummer, but hopefully the fight is good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You can see Tanjiro start to think of Inosuke as a stupid little brother in real time and it's great

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/Ishi_Onkami/status/1146852224619802624

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Sindai posted:

You can see Tanjiro start to think of Inosuke as a stupid little brother in real time and it's great

It really is.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I loving loved how you see Inosuke dashing into trees in the background.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Mulderman posted:

I loving loved how you see Inosuke dashing into trees in the background.

same, thats so him, this episode was 11/10

"... thats too much thinking." *zzzzz* lmao

so excited for the rest of this

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wow, Innosuke went from 0 to 100 pretty drat quick. I had my doubts last few episodes, but they were all dispelled here. :allears:

Also lol at Tanjiro's most superhuman physical attribute being his completely invulnerable forehead.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 7, 2019

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I rescind every criticism of last episode's pacing. It gave us this episode, and it was good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the wisteria inn fluff is always good. I liked the downtime between the fights more than the fights themselves in the manga

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

I can't help but to think of Inosuke as similar to Frederica from Coffin Princess Chaika. It's sorta the reason I love the little twerp.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
mad respect for my boy zenitsu using small children as human shields. that's how you can tell the professionals from the amateurs

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

lol I'd forgotten about the gag with the bird barfing up the ward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Okay fine show, Inosuke won his points pretty quick, largely in part due to how the Goodest Boy treated him. :allears: