Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Fat_Cow posted:

Hey Loreguys. Why does Urianger talk the way he does?

You know that kid that pronounces words weird because he's never heard them spoken, only read them in books?

Expand that out to all of the old ancient musty tomes written in Ye Olde Eorzean ever until adulthood, and that's Urianger.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Urianger first showed up in 1.x and claimed to be a 1500 year old wizard that fought in the War of the Magi, but no he was just a 25 year old loving chuuni nerd that has only kissed one girl his entire life who then immediately killed herself afterwards

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

This is bullshit, why can't I get a version of this armor without these dumb pauldrons? I thought this was final fourteen fantasies not WORLD OF WARCRAFT HAAHAHAHAHA

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So does Urianger talk like a character from samurai dramas in Japanese or is this one of those changes for localization?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Spoilers for Il Mheg (level 73-74 MSQ spoilers)

I am going through Seto reminiscing about Ardbert and that kind of got me for some reason. Man, the Warriors of Darkness got done so loving dirty in the First.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kwyndig posted:

So does Urianger talk like a character from samurai dramas in Japanese or is this one of those changes for localization?

Last I heard he was far more straightforward, but there has been a desire expressed by the JP contingent that they would like a more interesting treatment overall of the entire game a la EN.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I know everyone is past this point, but I still can't get over the moment in Alphinaud's route where he disses Vauthry, walks out the room, and then one minute later Vauthry realizes he's been insulted and has a big freak out. :allears:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

The ACT plugin has been updated. Relaunch ACT and it should ask you if you want to download the new one.

Anyone else a weird nerd that melds their leveling gear? What are you guys melding for DNC if so? I'm going with Crit over DH just as a wild guess.

Y'shtola's dps looks like THAT? :eyepop:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
My only complaint is that all of the quests where you are not controlling your character suck major rear end.

Remember how bad the last quest of Stormblood MSQ was and how long you sat there pressing one button over and over? They topped this!

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I've done it. I've made it to Heavensward. That ARR ending was extremely impressive, but man, did it take a long time getting there. I appreciate all the story, but it'll be very nice to finally make some character progress again.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wonder if the Ancient Lizards look like guar from Morrowind by accident or on purpose.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

So against all advice stating otherwise, I went blue mage.

This may have been a mistake, but I will not falter.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

its fun side content that people feel obligated to do and whine about for some reason

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

the lead up to and the 79 dungeon and second trial ftw

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Nah, I mostly play solo and I'm pretty casual so I didn't bother joining up. I also joined a preferred server (Lamia) for the exp boost so I would probably have to transfer anyway. The occasional bad queue isn't terrible it's just kind of annoying when it's getting in the way of MSQ progress.

Nobody mentioned this that I saw...

Lamia is on the same DC as Excal, so goons can still help you with world visits. You’d have to find a way to communicate to ask though I guess.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I enjoyed it while it lasted but I imagine getting groups for some spells might be difficult now.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I restarted my subscription knowing I'd have to get over the slow pace of combat and the fact that everything takes forever to die. However after another expansion I'd have hoped they'd have done something better to the leveling system.
Aside from leveling taking way too long, quests are easily the worst form of it for actually earning xp (short of grinding spread out enemies). Yet quests are the only form of the game that isn't purely repetitive and repeatable, not to mention one of the supposed hallmarks of the game. It's not like I've got actual OCD over it and I could skip them if necessary but the it's either be extremely annoyed with my map when not doing them or do them and be extremely annoyed at the pointless and colossal time sink.

nessin fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 30, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

IIRC Urianger's role in 1.xx was also painting a target on his back so the rest of the various groups resisting the Garleans would have an easier time, and he did this by pretending to be a prophet of some sort. The way he talks probably helps with that image.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

nessin posted:

I restarted my subscription knowing I'd have to get over the slow pace of combat and the fact that everything takes forever to die. However after another expansion I'd have hoped they'd have done something better to the leveling system.
Aside from leveling taking way too long, quests are easily the worst form of it (short of grinding spread out enemies). Yet quests are the only form of the game that isn't purely repetitive and repeatable, not to mention one of the supposed hallmarks of the game. It's not like I've got actual OCD over it and I could skip them if necessary but the it's either be extremely annoyed with my map when not doing them or do them and be extremely annoyed at the pointless and colossal time sink.

You don't like quests or dungeons or fates or palace of the dead? What would you like?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Minrad posted:

Y'shtola "LB is a DPS loss" Rhul, ladies and gentlemen.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Gishin posted:

You don't like quests or dungeons or fates or palace of the dead? What would you like?

I'm perfectly fine with quests, I'd prefer them over the other options for just leveling characters. But dozens of quests and hours of work is maybe half an experience bar, especially post 50. In the time it's taken me to run through two zones of side quests I've not gained a level while I could have been at least 3 or 4, if not more, levels up in a deep dungeon or roulettes. That's my problem.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wonder if the Ancient Lizards look like guar from Morrowind by accident or on purpose.

They need a third leg.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I kinda agree that sidequests are lackluster for EXP-to-time/effort ratio. It'd be nice to be rewarded a bit more for the sidequests EXP-wise.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

MechaX posted:

Spoilers for Il Mheg (level 73-74 MSQ spoilers)

I am going through Seto reminiscing about Ardbert and that kind of got me for some reason. Man, the Warriors of Darkness got done so loving dirty in the First.

Yeah this absolutely wrecked me.

Also in an expansion of incredible music (spoiling just to be safe) Titania’s music was my favorite so far. Tried looking for the lyrics online but nothing seems to be up yet.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Minrad posted:

She focused on her glam game this time around. The real meter that a person should be judged.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
How come Orbonne Monestary is so hard for people? When you enter it, about 5 people withdraw immediately. I've played it 7 times now, never got past Thunder God (people drop after first wipe). Never been in a full raid, always missing people.

I just want to finish the drat storyline.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

serious norman posted:

How come Orbonne Monestary is so hard for people? When you enter it, about 5 people withdraw immediately. I've played it 7 times now, never got past Thunder God (people drop after first wipe). Never been in a full raid, always missing people.

I just want to finish the drat storyline.
Probably people just trying to PL through the Alliance roulettes at this point. I imagine it's going to look all wack and distorted in terms of queue populations and so on for another week or two.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Nessus posted:

Probably people just trying to PL through the Alliance roulettes at this point. I imagine it's going to look all wack and distorted in terms of queue populations and so on for another week or two.

Yeah must be it... Doesn't seem that hard. People are probably just spamming and dropping at the difficult ones. I'll try in a couple of weeks again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

serious norman posted:

How come Orbonne Monestary is so hard for people?

People are very bad at recognizing and learning patterns.

Also, the third Alliance Raid is always a clusterfuck. Dun Scaith is always terrible in roulette, and World of Darkness occasionally is.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
so basically every party has two dancers in it

in that case, as one of them, who should i be marking as a partner?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're based on the hill lizards from Final Fantasy XI. Both games came out in 2002 so I think there's some sort of cute bipedal lizard conspiracy afoot.

frodnonnag posted:

He's still a massive nerd who throws yugioh cards at his bullies.

He might be but never forget that he had the best and most polite "Miss me with that bullshit" line thus far.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Definitely starting to feel the healer changes in low level content now.

Did a roulette run of The Chrysalis where I actually had to keep an eye on my mana for the first time in a while. Then an Alexander 9 run where it was pretty much the same, but mitigated by Assize/Thin Air/all the good Heavensward poo poo. I'm not sure if people were just taking more damage due to missing mechanics or if heals are a bit weaker now, but I was definitely spending less time DPSing than I was in the last patch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

They're based on the hill lizards from Final Fantasy XI. Both games came out in 2002 so I think there's some sort of cute bipedal lizard conspiracy afoot.
Oh, that's cool. I thought maybe it was an homage by one of the modelers or something.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I love my idiot son!!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Viera:

Minor random enemy spoiler:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I wasn't able to pre-order this for the early access, but if I pre-order it now can I still hop in early access or do I gotta wait until Tuesday?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

g0lbez posted:

I wasn't able to pre-order this for the early access, but if I pre-order it now can I still hop in early access or do I gotta wait until Tuesday?

You can still hop in if you preorder now, I think.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Urianger is a massive loving nerd with real problems in his people skills, but he's also low key one of the most effective of the bunch. He'll be off doing some shady nonsense in the background or out of the picture for a few weeks and then just pop up with the solution to the problem. And it makes sense because he's a giant loving nerd with flexible morality and you know he can get it done. All the Scions have something that makes them amazing. Even Lyse hits things real good when she gets out of her own head.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Hrothgar players with Play Dead: Try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't really get DNC. I've taken it into a couple dungeons and it's effective enough but it also seems like it's just rehashing other DPS classes.