Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh wow! Nice job Num!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

1234567890num posted:

All in all, this is a great and interesting challenge. Great job coming up with it :thumbsup:

That's amazing! Just what I wanted to see.

Also here's evidence of my end of the bargain.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

So... if Gilgabot gives me a Water job for my Wind unlock do I just roll with it?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Darwinism posted:

So... if Gilgabot gives me a Water job for my Wind unlock do I just roll with it?

or use the fiesta mod to unlock all jobs at the start yes.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Darwinism posted:

Destroying Crab/Siren/Magissa/Garula with freelancers is a fiesta tradition.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Nasgate posted:

Destroying Crab/Siren/Magissa/Garula with freelancers is a fiesta tradition.

For cowards.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
defeat garula with your party of songless bards and dagger dragoons like a hero

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

fool_of_sound posted:

defeat adamantoise with your party of bards

ftfy

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

So this might be a terrible idea, but screw it. Worst case, if everyone else decides it's too much of a pain in the rear end, well, no harm done, right?

Towards the end of last year's fiesta, I stumbled across a Castle Tycoon cutscene that I'm pretty sure I'd never seen before. This inspired me to make it a goal this year to see every optional cutscene in the game, and I'd like to challenge you all to do the same. As such:

:toxx: I will donate $5 (capped at $50) for each goon who views and screenshots every optional cutscene in their run, where cutscene is arbitrarily defined as "any time a party member has a line of dialogue." :toxx:

When I finish my run, I'll post every scene I found as a guide so you know what all you need to do. Also, uh, FFV has a heck of a lot of optional stuff, as in I'm pretty sure a complete submission is going to be over a hundred images, so you probably shouldn't just post them all directly in the thread. Personally I plan on using the screenshot LP test poster (This is close enough to being an LP, right?). If you're interested, here's some extra details that I didn't want to clog up this post with. I also put in every optional cutscene available prior to the Wind Shrine as an example to give you an idea of how thorough I'm being.

:siren:Bonus: If you complete this before I finish my run, flying blind as it were, or manage to find a cutscene that I missed, the $5 I donate for your run will not count towards the $50 limit!:siren:

I finished! :toot: Final tally came in at 70 cutscenes, which is... significantly less than I thought it would be. Turns out the party doesn't have much to say about most of world 3. World 1 actually had more cutscenes than the other two combined. Here's the complete list. I'll also be editing it into the original toxx post.

As for the run itself:

I ground out four dualcasts, which probably wasn't completely necessary, but, come on, with that team I couldn't not. I could have quickleaked Omega, but this team had enough firepower that I was able to fight him legit. Being able to get party haste, party reflect, party float, and wear flame rings all at once makes a big difference in surviving his bullshit. I judiciously abused quintuple meteor; other than the big 3, none of the void bosses got off more than 2 actions, not counting Twintania's counters. However, while that's the meme, I also discovered that five spells in a turn is excellent for picking the party up off the floor when poo poo hits the fan. Two raises, two curas, and a hastega, and bam, you're back in fighting shape!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Einwand posted:

For cowards.

As a major proponent of Brave Blade, how dare you.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

You heard me. :colbert:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Remember, Archaeoaevis is just as bad. Just not quite as embarrasing.

In other news, got the Beast + Blue combo again! ...but Blue is my 4th job, smh.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

derra posted:

Remember, Archaeoaevis is just as bad. Just not quite as embarrasing.

Only really the first phase, and you don't have loving Protect making it even worse than it is. :v:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Poque posted:

:toxx:

$20 per run that utilizes a near-to-full-power Brave Blade (I'll say 145+ attack power to allow for some accidental runs) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED.

I will require a screenshot showing the equipment screen, such as the one above, and a screenshot of the Geomancer attacking NED in the battle (or TreeDeath I GUESS). Caps at $100.

COMPLETERS: Jose Valasquez, Darkoni, Fenrir

This was a very easy run. Run 5: Geomancer, Samurai, Knight, Chemist

So, Chemist is OP. Zeninage, is OP, Geomancer with a Brave Blade (and drugs) is good actually.

Very Good.

Very, Very Good. I tried to hit 9999 with turtle soup but I needed more strength. Oh well 9900 is close enough.

Omega: Killed with a single Geo with !Combine

Shinryu: Blind and Berserked by !Combine

NED: All the chemist buffs, lvl 99+ from dragon power, and a berserked Geo holding the Brave Blade. NED didn't stand a chance.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Only really the first phase, and you don't have loving Protect making it even worse than it is. :v:

Frost is so, so painful. Yes, I know I can do a bit of damage with the Silver Harp.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
This looks fun. I haven't played ff5 in like 15 years, what flavour run should I do.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zenithe posted:

This looks fun. I haven't played ff5 in like 15 years, what flavour run should I do.

All the dumb new modes are for people who have four jobbed a dozen times before. Vanilla Four Jobs is a fun new spin on a classic game and you don't need anything else.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zenithe posted:

If you're already familiar with the game, purechaos can present challenges unique to fiesta

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
You can also split the difference with random. 30 times as many possibilities as normal with no need to mess around with freelancers or the fiesta mod. The only catch is that the increased variation comes at the expense of decreased odds for rolling later classes.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Mystic Mongol posted:

All the dumb new modes are for people who have four jobbed a dozen times before. Vanilla Four Jobs is a fun new spin on a classic game and you don't need anything else.

Cool, first roll: thief, let's do this

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kheldarn posted:

He's the absolute worst. Between Sqeenix shoehorning him into every game they can, and idiots calling him Greg… Ugh.

:allbuttons:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Time Mage/Beastmaster/Berserker/Blue Mage. Great team! Some great utility that worked great when paired with the Zerk's brawn. Zerk ripped through my foes while my party Calmlocked Omega and Phoenix Downed against Zerk Shinryu. Neo was a matter of throwing Meteors until I won, though I had a scary moment when Grand Cross hit right when Bartz died from Countdown from the last GC. It zerked Krile but fortunately Faris was fine and I was able to recover quickly.

Jose Valasquez posted:

You've inspired me

$25 up to a max of $250 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and a one of the wielder attacking NED

Completions: Edward_Tohr

This team didn't have much use for Chicken Knife, so I figured, why not? Turns out encounters aren't a big deal when you have Comet, Aeroga, and the Rune Axe.

First time I've even attempted three runs, let alone complete them. Probably time for a break!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Whats preferable on a berserker, equip harps or !white?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Time Mage/Beastmaster/Berserker/Blue Mage. Great team! Some great utility that worked great when paired with the Zerk's brawn. Zerk ripped through my foes while my party Calmlocked Omega and Phoenix Downed against Zerk Shinryu. Neo was a matter of throwing Meteors until I won, though I had a scary moment when Grand Cross hit right when Bartz died from Countdown from the last GC. It zerked Krile but fortunately Faris was fine and I was able to recover quickly.

This team didn't have much use for Chicken Knife, so I figured, why not? Turns out encounters aren't a big deal when you have Comet, Aeroga, and the Rune Axe.

First time I've even attempted three runs, let alone complete them. Probably time for a break!

Hurray!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ItBreathes posted:

Whats preferable on a berserker, equip harps or !white?
White passes on more magic for Rune Axe (25 vs 11) and also lets you cast healing spells out of battle if that ever comes up. Not close, unless you specifically need Apollo's Harp for its 8x against Dragon and Undead (so Shinryu, the Grand Cross part of NED, and some random crap).

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
What a good party looks like:

A party with Krile in it:

Okay too far

blinking beacon nose fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 30, 2019

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Love to hate the small child whos grandpa and only family just died.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
krile has some of the best costumes in the game and that's all that matters

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

blinking beacon nose posted:

What a good party looks like:

A party with Krile in it:

Rest in peace you dumb bitch

this thread's weird.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Nasgate posted:

Love to casually throw gendered slurs at the small child whos grandpa and only family just died.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i guess its mostly that one guy who keeps committing to this weird joke, thats weird.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

The team?

Knight/Black Mage/Monk/Geomancer.

I had to get to level 96 not only to make Encircle miss some and to have the HP to trivialize Atomic Ray, but also to have a comically high multiplier of 28 to kill Omega in 7 hits. Any more and he goes past Search and post-search back to the start. The team falls apart on the double turn right before Search, and it took a lot of work just to keep Black Mage and Knight alive.

Anyway since I'm level 96 I guess I can get the rest of the triple crown now.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What's your process for grinding this high? I've tried the castle and desert in the final dungeon, but neither seems particularly efficient past about level 50 even though enemies are relatively safe at those levels.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

Wonder Wand and Golem makes Shinryu an absolute joke.

Beating NED with Excalipoor is an interesting challenge. It's still much easier with my jobs than getting the last crown...

Omega is loving awful. I don't have OFS' patience to grind to Lv 90ish, so I settled for almost 50 instead. Bartz uses Flame Shield, Diamond Helmet, Bone Mail, and Hermes Sandals. This way, Bartz won't die from the reflected Thundagas (everyone else has Reflect Rings) and he can heal with Firaga (and optional Osmose). The rest is just balancing between using Thundaga, Elixir, or Phoenix. And hoping that Omega doesn't use Earthquake or Surge Beam + Maelstrom combo.

I can't just use !Finisher because Omega absorbs all elements except lightning :argh:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 30, 2019

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Poque posted:

$20 per run that utilizes a near-to-full-power Brave Blade (I'll say 145+ attack power to allow for some accidental runs) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED.

I will require a screenshot showing the equipment screen, such as the one above, and a screenshot of the Geomancer attacking NED in the battle (or TreeDeath I GUESS). Caps at $100.

Okay. I haven’t won yet because KNI/RAN/NIN/GEO is loving terrible without the chicken knife and I need to grind another ten levels to survive Almaghest (also: actually beat Necrophobe) but if you’ll accept this I’ll get the last spot and make this hell run worth it!

(Last image won’t upload, he did 2280 damage)

Maybe by level 50 I can kill one part before dying!

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The team?

Knight/Black Mage/Monk/Geomancer.

I had to get to level 96 not only to make Encircle miss some and to have the HP to trivialize Atomic Ray, but also to have a comically high multiplier of 28 to kill Omega in 7 hits. Any more and he goes past Search and post-search back to the start. The team falls apart on the double turn right before Search, and it took a lot of work just to keep Black Mage and Knight alive.

Where did you go to grind? Thinking of doing this for a subpar party and was wondering where the best place would be.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Top floor of the pyramid, hold down rapidfire and up, walk into slope and afk

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

derra posted:

Top floor of the pyramid, hold down rapidfire and up, walk into slope and afk

It was that or the conveyor belt near the Green Beret in the Fire Ship. Lotta !Kick and !Fight. Istory's enemies are too evasive and Alchymia casts Death too much. Landcrawlers in the Rift desert were pretty much the same with Maelstrom.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
After hitting level 96, the rest of the game was shockingly simple.

I could just loving facetank Shinryu's berserk physicals.

No wonder he got wrecked.

Poque posted:

I never run once, even before my team became powerful beyond reason. I'm not sure how many battles it was; Mr. Cleo capped at 9,999.

I thought it was killing NED with the Brave Blade so I did just that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Run 6: Monk, Dancer, Bard, Gladiator

Gladiator is cool. I didn't feel like grinding up enough to get bladeblitz though or go kill Omega or whatever. Lvl 25-28 team for this one. I was afraid I'd run out of golden needles from white hole (used like 15 of the 30 I had brought with me).

Whatevs this team had so much offense thanks to bard's buffs that lamp bahamut did 9999 damage and swords dance chicken knife overflowed to 1216.
I'm glad I did have that offense because the couple times I messed around/missed al-majisti I got owned by almagest. This team was not gonna live through it.

One more run and I'll have played as all 25 jobs this fiesta (not about to count necromancer)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 1, 2019