Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

And of course the classic Arabian Nights run, which started all kinds of memes and contributed to the madness in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gosSNHRPWZA&hd=1&t=793s

We should probably use the speedrunning thread to compile a big list of "the best" runs so they won't be lost here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

succ posted:

Any more videos you recommend? First year watching AGDQ.

Hmmm, Tetris the Grandmaster AGDQ 2015,
https://youtu.be/ViwDUiCzPVU
Dragon Warrior AGDQ 2018
https://youtu.be/Bgh30BiWG58

These two are both excellent for the 'I can't believe a human being is doing this' factor.

Also check out a Super Mario 64 120 star run from any previous years. They're hugely entertaining to watch.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

UA shared this video in the discord of the 2014 Wondershot finish if anybody wants to get all nostalgic about the growth of this event from the past 5 years

https://youtu.be/4B-GLKCxEkY

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I went to bed after the Combo Rando and I did absolutely not expect to wake up to over three million dollars. Holy goddamn.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
My reaction to the final boss rush as it unfolded tonight:

loving amazing. Just wow.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

Gonna be real, a small part of me is kinda pissed they cut off the ending of CT as soon as they hit 3m, I really love CT.

Haha, I didn’t want to be a grinch, but I kinda wanted to say the same thing. To Far Away Times, especially the way it syncs up on a 100% Ending, looks so pretty and is so good, and I feel like would be the Exact Perfect way to end the stream, to just wrap up the commentary and stuff, then go north in the Millenial Fairgrounds to start the end sequence, and let it play off the stream.

Also, as someone who watches puwexil’s stream a lot, I know *he* probably doesn’t care, but I was kinda sad that he basically got swallowed up at the end there.

It was such a great end, and such a ridiculous amount of money, that I can’t blame them for just sorta exalting and cutting to the close out.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ambivalent posted:

Haha, I didn’t want to be a grinch, but I kinda wanted to say the same thing. To Far Away Times, especially the way it syncs up on a 100% Ending, looks so pretty and is so good, and I feel like would be the Exact Perfect way to end the stream, to just wrap up the commentary and stuff, then go north in the Millenial Fairgrounds to start the end sequence, and let it play off the stream.

Also, as someone who watches puwexil’s stream a lot, I know *he* probably doesn’t care, but I was kinda sad that he basically got swallowed up at the end there.

It was such a great end, and such a ridiculous amount of money, that I can’t blame them for just sorta exalting and cutting to the close out.

It was really late too

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

raditts posted:

And it's going away from me :'(
I was hoping to do a magfest / agdq back to back next year, but I guess just magfest will have to do

Magfest owns so hard for meeting 2010 Let's Play goons tho

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
T posed on Caleb trying to crash the Pringles after party

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Couldn't manage to stay up for Chrono Trigger to end, but congratz on the 3 mil!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

holy hell 3m. what on earth thats crazy

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Was Puwexil the runner for the WR Chrono trigger finale when a GDQ broke 1 mil for the first time?

I know it's from a few pages back but it was answered wrong - Obdajr was the runner, but puwexil was on the couch.

I went to bed not expecting anything special and woke up to $3 million raised goddamn...

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

:stare: $3 million :stare:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Not gonna lie, being in the crowd as they made the final push and then hit $3 million was loving fun as hell.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I was napping on the couch through the Chrono Trigger run while keeping the stream running. About an hour left the sheer energy of the audience brought me out of exhaustion and into being present for the 3 million mark, :drat:.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Another summer, another good SGDQ.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

I was napping on the couch through the Chrono Trigger run while keeping the stream running. About an hour left the sheer energy of the audience brought me out of exhaustion and into being present for the 3 million mark, :drat:.

wow, $3 million? i fell asleep at like $2.4, what the hell happened

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
I have caught the GDQ flu

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Vermain posted:

wow, $3 million? i fell asleep at like $2.4, what the hell happened

They dumped in all the Twitch Prime subs and stuff and the total rocketed to 2.7 million, and the last 300k was pure screaming momentum.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

babypolis posted:

long rpg runs are the best gently caress the haters

i realized last night watching that having someone really good at RPG speedrunning/commentating like puwexil capping off the event is a stroke of genius, because 5-6 hours of an uninterrupted game with a lot of fond memories behind it gives you an enormous amount of time to gradually build momentum and slowly unlock more and more donation incentives

YggiDee posted:

They dumped in all the Twitch Prime subs and stuff and the total rocketed to 2.7 million, and the last 300k was pure screaming momentum.

hell yeah!!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

my buddy Superfly posted:

Great gdq, I'm overall happy with the art I made for the week. See everyone next time!

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1145218183793713152

These are great!

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came
I got curious so I looked up Doctors Without Borders' financials, and I was very surprised to learn that their entire income from all sources in 2018 was around $400 million. So SGDQ single-handedly makes up almost 1% of their entire budget. That's insane.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brother Entropy posted:

every gdq i'm like 'drat i should get into speedrunning' and then i never do

maybe that 3 mil energy is empowering me this time though.......

I will if you do.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

now that i've graduated i intend on picking up my speedgames again (the ace combat games and the star wars rogue squadron games). i doubt they'd ever be a great fit for a gdq event but gently caress it, i used to be extremely competitive in rogue leader so might as well get back into it now.

The RS games are definitely runnable. Ace Combat I'm not so sure.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
As long as it's not rebel strike

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

site posted:

As long as it's not rebel strike

Counterpoint: Rebel Strike COOP!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Deschain posted:

I got curious so I looked up Doctors Without Borders' financials, and I was very surprised to learn that their entire income from all sources in 2018 was around $400 million. So SGDQ single-handedly makes up almost 1% of their entire budget. That's insane.

Yeah, I think that SGDQ is MSF's single biggest fundraiser each year? Might be wrong about that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, I think that SGDQ is MSF's single biggest fundraiser each year? Might be wrong about that.

No you're thinking of PCF. MSF is a massive international organization and as big as 3 million is, it's just a tiny part of what they bring in every year.

This is still a great thing but GDQ is not by itself a significant part of MSF's budget.

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came

Regy Rusty posted:

No you're thinking of PCF. MSF is a massive international organization and as big as 3 million is, it's just a tiny part of what they bring in every year.

This is still a great thing but GDQ is not by itself a significant part of MSF's budget.
But that's what I'm saying, I didn't think it would be either, but it's a full 1% of their budget. That may not sound like a lot but an extra 1% can be huge, especially if they can rely on it coming in every year. They operate in ~60 countries, so we fund like, more than half a country's work. That's wild.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deschain posted:

But that's what I'm saying, I didn't think it would be either, but it's a full 1% of their budget. That may not sound like a lot but an extra 1% can be huge. They operate in ~60 countries, so we fund like, more than half a country's work. That's wild.

MSF's budget is over 1 billion dollars per year so you may want to check your math.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This trag run lol

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came

Regy Rusty posted:

MSF's budget is over 1 billion dollars per year so you may want to check your math.
You may want to check your sources?

https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/sites/default/files/2019-05/Doctors_Without_Borders_Financial_Statements_2018.pdf

Page 7: "Total Revenues and In-Kind Services: 408,610,800"
"Total expenses: 426,785,202"

3 million is nearly 1% of their revenues and of their expenses.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deschain posted:

You may want to check your sources?

https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/sites/default/files/2019-05/Doctors_Without_Borders_Financial_Statements_2018.pdf

Page 7: "Total Revenues and In-Kind Services: 408,610,800"
"Total expenses: 426,785,202"

3 million is nearly 1% of their revenues and of their expenses.

That's the USA only. If you just check their website the 1 billion + figure is very prominent! https://www.msf.org/reports-and-finances

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Im just glad I helped a gppd cause and you should too!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Im just glad I helped a gppd cause and you should too!

Yep! It doesn't need to be huge in the full scheme of things to be a wonderful thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Donation any%

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I missed a lot of this GDQ because of work obligations. That sucked at the time, but now it's great because I have a ton of VODs to watch. My friends and I unexpectedly LOVED the Streets of Rage 3 run, but it was soured after the fact for me by learning that there was a shithead on the couch.

See you all at GDQx!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Regy Rusty posted:

That's the USA only. If you just check their website the 1 billion + figure is very prominent! https://www.msf.org/reports-and-finances

MSF is a fantastic cause but I am starting to wonder if the money spigot could have a better relative effect on a smaller charity like with PCF.

There's a marginal utility loss in giving the 1000th million after the first 999 compared to the 10th after the first 9, and so on.

Of course, with these things, something like cancer research or MSF is a safe charity, if you aimed the money funnel at, say, a trans support charity it would get messy fast, which sucks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sulphagnist posted:

MSF is a fantastic cause but I am starting to wonder if the money spigot could have a better relative effect on a smaller charity like with PCF.

There's a marginal utility loss in giving the 1000th million after the first 999 compared to the 10th after the first 9, and so on.

Of course, with these things, something like cancer research or MSF is a safe charity, if you aimed the money funnel at, say, a trans support charity it would get messy fast, which sucks.

The thing with MSF though is that their entire huge budget does almost all come from things like this - individual donors as opposed to corporations or governments. It's just that it comes from all over the world! And that's a great thing. I think alternating between a smaller charity and a big one is a great way for GDQ to function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deschain
Nov 17, 2006

to the dark tower came

Regy Rusty posted:

Huh, you're right, confusing that they have entire separate websites and financial reports for DWB/MSF!