Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

rjmccall posted:

I'm not an expert, but I feel completely confident in saying that each and every one does its own special snowflake thing.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

rjmccall posted:

I'm not an expert, but I feel completely confident in saying that each and every one does its own special snowflake thing.

:hmmyes:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

beuges posted:

So what's stopping Google from creating their own snowflake version of libc for their own use instead of trying to force it as a new standard? It looks like recently, Google's run out of ideas for actual products, so they're looking at things that are already in use and entrenched, and then giving them the NIH treatment, but entirely from their own self-serving perspective, as if all those other systems already in place don't matter at all.

It would be a different story if they proposed rebuilding some legacy technology from scratch but remaining interoperable with the existing legacy systems out there, or if they proposed rebuilding some legacy technology without backwards compatibility constraints, but in a way that would benefit everyone. But they seem extremely unashamed about proposing incompatible "replacements" that benefits nobody but themselves, with the expectation that things will go their way purely because they're Google (or that everyone else doesn't matter, because they're not Google). :lolplant:

But isn’t that every google product? They can improve on things (and often massively) but except maybe wave have they ever had an original idea/product?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nothing is original

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Hughlander posted:

But isn’t that every google product? They can improve on things (and often massively) but except maybe wave have they ever had an original idea/product?

they totally loving killed it on two products: search engines and web advertising

they killed em so hard that even massive failures like wave and google plus barely affect their bottom line

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

DaTroof posted:

they totally loving killed it on two products: search engines and web advertising

they killed em so hard that even massive failures like wave and google plus barely affect their bottom line

they killed em so hard that the others are barely registering as rounding errors. it's not even loving funny.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm still concerned about their closing sentence:

To me, this reads as "We don't want to reimplement everything from scratch: we'd be happy to have you do it, too!"

This sounds like a dangerous precedent. First Microsoft starts soliciting unpaid volunteer coders on GitHub, and now Google? What's next, IBM?

tak fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 28, 2019

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Volguus posted:

they killed em so hard that the others are barely registering as rounding errors. it's not even loving funny.

They could kill all their other ventures and keep just Google Ads and still be hugely profitable

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Volguus posted:

All subsequent product development has basically been "fiddle with stuff".

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Remember how when lldb almost got usable they started rewriting it from the ground up for portability reasons and now it segfaults every day? Looking forward to that, but from a libc.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I think you meant to post that in the Coding Heaven thread

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AustinJ/status/1144655793612107778

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Daylight

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Remember how when lldb almost got usable they started rewriting it from the ground up for portability reasons and now it segfaults every day? Looking forward to that, but from a libc.

Oh no, I really liked lldb back in 2015 when I last did C++ MacBook development. :sigh:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

tak posted:

This sounds like a dangerous precedent. First Microsoft starts soliciting unpaid volunteer coders on GitHub, and now Google? What's next, IBM?

My dude, have you ever dealt with Bigfix? Their top support guy was hired after being the go-to guy on their public support forums for years. I went to a relevance class once before IBM hired him, and he showed up as a student just to hang out and add practical expertise to the trainer's lessons.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

New ideas are rare. Re-imaginings of existing ideas can still be ground-breaking. Gmail did web-based mail much better than its competitors. And of course Google, back when it was just Google, wasn't a new idea.

Google Earth miiiight be new, but of course it was bought.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/1145022662000951296

(link)
:stonklol:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Just when I was thinking Boeing couldn't be any worse.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And of course Google, back when it was just Google, wasn't a new idea.

There were search engines before Google, but building a search engine based off PageRank was a genuinely new idea. That's why they cornered the market.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've worked with some superb Indian contractors, but they weren't making $9 an hour. I also worked with some Tata contractors, which was not a happy time.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I was gonna say, of course it's HCL, but then I'm pretty sure everyone who works in the tech industry has HCL contractors somewhere on the payroll.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

There were search engines before Google, but building a search engine based off PageRank was a genuinely new idea. That's why they cornered the market.
I thought the definition of "new idea" in this thread was more like the Web, or like Smalltalk, than "substantial advance in technology for an existing idea". If Google counts, even though it's not the first search engine, then Gmail definitely counts. It was a revolution in web-based email. See also Chrome (which now sucks IMHO but whatever) versus other web browsers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

taqueso posted:

Just when I was thinking Boeing couldn't be any worse.

They're not Tesla

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ultrafilter posted:

Pagerank was a pretty big idea, but it'd ceased to be the only thing that made them better than the competition long before they cornered the market. They innovated in a bunch of ways at a time when everyone else thought search was a dead end, and then kept pointing at pagerank to distract the potential competition from the things they were doing that weren't published in papers.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Plorkyeran posted:

Pagerank was a pretty big idea, but it'd ceased to be the only thing that made them better than the competition long before they cornered the market. They innovated in a bunch of ways at a time when everyone else thought search was a dead end, and then kept pointing at pagerank to distract the potential competition from the things they were doing that weren't published in papers.

The spyware and stuff?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I thought the definition of "new idea" in this thread was more like the Web, or like Smalltalk, than "substantial advance in technology for an existing idea". If Google counts, even though it's not the first search engine, then Gmail definitely counts. It was a revolution in web-based email. See also Chrome (which now sucks IMHO but whatever) versus other web browsers.

What exactly did Chrome do much better than Firefox at the time? Both of them supported tabs and extensions, I don't remember anything that stood out about Chrome.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

qsvui posted:

What exactly did Chrome do much better than Firefox at the time? Both of them supported tabs and extensions, I don't remember anything that stood out about Chrome.

It had a smaller memory footprint.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chrome used to be way faster and cleaner looking than Firefox, the Firefox devs made a ton of improvements since then though

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It had a smaller memory footprint.

I highly doubt anyone cared. Chrome had no extensions (no support) for the first few years of its public life. Once they did get them they tended to be quite a bit more limited than firefox ones. What it did do much better and where it did win, was the advertisement they got when searching on google.com . "Try Google Chrome". Since google was the most used search engine on the planet, it was obvious that it had no way to lose. It was not and it couldn't have been a fair fight. Google controls the most visited sites on the internet. To think that anything but a google browser can win is foolish.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volguus posted:

I highly doubt anyone cared. Chrome had no extensions (no support) for the first few years of its public life. Once they did get them they tended to be quite a bit more limited than firefox ones. What it did do much better and where it did win, was the advertisement they got when searching on google.com . "Try Google Chrome". Since google was the most used search engine on the planet, it was obvious that it had no way to lose. It was not and it couldn't have been a fair fight. Google controls the most visited sites on the internet. To think that anything but a google browser can win is foolish.

:tinfoil:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I’m using the AskJeeves browser

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ruggan posted:

I’m using the AskJeeves browser

HttpRequestJeeves

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Volguus posted:

I highly doubt anyone cared. Chrome had no extensions (no support) for the first few years of its public life.

The people that care about extensions is a teeny tiny percentage.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ola posted:

The people that care about extensions is a teeny tiny percentage.

Even less cared about its memory usage. It was all about marketing, technical abilities (or lack thereof) were not on the radar for the regular folks. This was true for IE, and it was true for Chrome as well.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
extensions are a negative feature for non-techies, lol

but you seem really upset that google unfairly cornered the browser market through the never-before-seen strategy of "actually telling regular people that their product exists".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Math.Round opens the browser print dialog

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Volguus posted:

Even less cared about its memory usage. It was all about marketing, technical abilities (or lack thereof) were not on the radar for the regular folks. This was true for IE, and it was true for Chrome as well.

you are legitimately underestimating the degree to which firefox was a fuckin hog dude

and the question was what chrome did better than firefox, not what drove its adoption over IE. firefox was never the main competitor although it probably would have killed IE eventually if chrome hadn't popped up.

of course now chrome is the hog with nobody in a position to bump it off for the next hundred years or so

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I literally moved over from Firefox to Chrome because the former would eat up my old laptop's memory to the point I couldn't really use it consistently even with script blockers, but sure, that wasn't the issue, it was all Google marketing, it's why I'm using Edge on all my Windows 10 machines. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

As shown in the thread earlier the browser is instructed to print. Is the computer doing A when instructed to do A an unusual thing outside the JavaScript world?