Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

beergod posted:

Is the mana collection worth it if I loved one and never played two

Each iteration was much better than the last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

beergod posted:

I’m in the same boat and I’m enjoying it. I love janky rear end FFA but didn’t play the others until now and I like them.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

wdarkk posted:

Any idea why my HD PVR can't get an HDMI signal from my Switch? I know the HDMI out works thanks to a TV but the HD PVR works with my PS4 just fine. Is there a hidden HDCP control somewhere I need to disable?

Can I ask what pvr you are using?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

beergod posted:

seiken densetsu 3 is cool, but it is ghetto ghetto ghetto ghetto. unresponsive controls, unavoidable attacks, no i-frames, poor hit feedback... it's not that it's a bad port, it was just a crappy game. but good for its time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beergod posted:

it's really expensive for three roms of which two are awful

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/early90spants/status/1145126166010839040

Uhhhh...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

beergod posted:

Trials of Mana is a stellar game and much better than Secret.

Adventures is... listen, it was remarkable for the time but I only put up with it because of the nostalgia.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
How do I add credits in Sega Ages Wonder Boy in Monster Land?

I’m dumb!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

hadji murad posted:

How do I add credits in Sega Ages Wonder Boy in Monster Land?

I’m dumb!

try X

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The Mana Collection is simultaneously probably not worth it for a Game Boy and two SNES ROMs of games that are all flawed in some way, but I've also more than had my enjoyment out of the money I spent on it. I think the first game is probably worth playing the remake instead, but playing the collection was the first time I have ever been able to get into Secret of Mana or SD3 beyond playing an hour or so on an emulator.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Trials is up there with FF4/6 and Chrono Trigger as far as my favorite SNES RPGs go and I probably played it more than both. It's real good and beautiful.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

beergod posted:

Yes, FFA isn't worth playing in this day and age but SOM and TOM are fantastic with the latter being one of the best RPGs.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I remember playing the TOM ROM way back in the day and going crazy in the lategame where you would enter a room and the enemies would cast spells instantly on you, which not only gave you guaranteed cheap damage but it also killed the pace of the game because every room would waste like 10 seconds of time for the spell animation. Is there something I was missing to avoid that nonsense? I loved the game except for that which completely killed my motivation to proceed.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
EDIT: Holy crap I'm dumb never mind. I'll add content: I loved SD3 back in the day. Start with Lize. I think she's called Rieze now or something in the remake?

Bean fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 30, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Bean posted:

Is there a super mario maker thread? I checked around and didn't see one

It's currently pinned at the top of the forum.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Got Baba is You and I'm loving it so far. I'm at the point where I'm leaving my Switch hooked up to the TV with the puzzle on screen while I'm cleaning or cooking while I wait for an epiphany to happen. When that moment of clarity occurs it's fun to pop it out of the dock and go for the solve, and it feels so good every time.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Bloodstained is great but there's really no excuse for how horrible it looks. If I released something like this at work I would expect to get fired

whaley fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 30, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Baba is You is Bad

It’s actually amazing but I feel like it gets too hard too suddenly

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
lol I am garbage at Cadence of Hyrule. I think I'm just trying to move too fast though. and I get pinned down by like two or three enemies and take a couple hits in a row.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Original_Z posted:

I remember playing the TOM ROM way back in the day and going crazy in the lategame where you would enter a room and the enemies would cast spells instantly on you, which not only gave you guaranteed cheap damage but it also killed the pace of the game because every room would waste like 10 seconds of time for the spell animation. Is there something I was missing to avoid that nonsense? I loved the game except for that which completely killed my motivation to proceed.

SOM and TOM both suffer from huge difficulty spikes in the late game because I guess that was the thing to do for Square or some poo poo, and if you're underleveled and not built for it you're going to be fuckin' pissed. Thankfully you have Save States in the Mana Collection so you save scum the hell out of the bullshit parts. I used it extensively in FFA.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Trials is up there with FF4/6 and Chrono Trigger as far as my favorite SNES RPGs go and I probably played it more than both. It's real good and beautiful.

And the upcoming remake looks even more beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3cz1oCmQPU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

morallyobjected posted:

lol I am garbage at Cadence of Hyrule. I think I'm just trying to move too fast though. and I get pinned down by like two or three enemies and take a couple hits in a row.

Me too. I was ok at Necrodancer so it's even more confusing that I do so badly at this one. People keep saying it gets easier later on and they just start you very underpowered though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah once you pick up a spear and a few extra hearts you become very hard to kill, and then almost impossible once you have bottles + potions.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

whaley posted:

Bloodstained is great but there's really no excuse for how horrible it looks. If I released something like this at work I would expect to get fired

Yeah I played a bit more yesterday. It's good but you're right, it looks awful.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I was insanely hyped for Bloodstained but the textures and resolutions just bum me out so I’m gonna play Devil May Cry instead, a 20 year old PS2 game about killing demons in a castle that actually looks amazing.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

cosmin posted:

I think Slay the spire will tickle this itch better, but i’m delaying the purchase :)

I'm playing on PC so I'm not sure how the Switch port is, but it's probably my favorite single player card game I've ever played... and I've played a lot of them. I can now understand how people have dumped hundreds of hours into it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I was insanely hyped for Bloodstained but the textures and resolutions just bum me out so I’m gonna play Devil May Cry instead, a 20 year old PS2 game about killing demons in a castle that actually looks amazing.

DMC5 (not on switch) is currently the best game
I have played in 2019

I’m a huge fan of the series though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

I'm playing on PC so I'm not sure how the Switch port is, but it's probably my favorite single player card game I've ever played... and I've played a lot of them. I can now understand how people have dumped hundreds of hours into it.

The Switch version is fine.

It was pretty rough before the patch but that fixed most of the performance/crash issues the game had.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
the "win condition" mechanic in mario maker 2 kinda sucks. the "don't jump!" or "don't touch a mushroom" levels in MM1 were cool because the author had to come up with creative ways of enforcing those rules. when it's some lovely wow quest log in the top left corner, it just feels annoying. it doesn't even end the run for you, you have to go to the pause menu and restart.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 30, 2019

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Ah thanks, now I see how it works!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Odd Mutant posted:

the "win condition" mechanic in mario maker 2 kinda sucks. the "don't jump!" or "don't touch a mushroom" levels in MM1 were cool because the author had to come up with creative ways of enforcing those rules. when it's some lovely wow quest log in the top left corner, it just feels annoying. it doesn't even end the run for you, you have to go to the pause menu and restart.

I’m glad they did it that way. It would feel really lovely and tedious if you just instantly died whenever you failed.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m glad they did it that way. It would feel really lovely and tedious if you just instantly died whenever you failed.

yeah this way at least I can practice the rest of the level or just mash that skip key

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

less laughter posted:

And the upcoming remake looks even more beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3cz1oCmQPU
This might be everything I wanted, but I hope it's not a solo game

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

whaley posted:

well yeah, the customer asked for a Big Mac

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Sudden Javelin posted:

well yeah, the customer asked for a Big Mac

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bell_ posted:

Hate to break it to you, but it's solo only. No co-op this time.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Bell_ posted:

I have bad news friend...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Odd Mutant posted:

Can you do "end the stage with a specific power up?"

I know you can do a weird janky way like put a block at the end of the level you need a mushroom to break, but I prefer the player knowing as soon as they enter the level that you are building the level around a mechanic.

Also that mechanic will be the Game Boy flower as soon as I make a level

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

whaley posted:

It’s so loving bad. I’m shelving it until some patches come out and I have a high tolerance for bad graphics and framerates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can you do "end the stage with a specific power up?"

I know you can do a weird janky way like put a block at the end of the level you need a mushroom to break, but I prefer the player knowing as soon as they enter the level that you are building the level around a mechanic.

Also that mechanic will be the Game Boy flower as soon as I make a level

Yep, in fact there's a highly rated Game Boy themed level I played yesterday that has that exact win condition (finish as Superball Mario)