Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay for a hot minute I thought SC stood for South Carolina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what's the loving point of that dumb zero fucks Friday poo poo? They just post the same bootlicking anti-smark takes that everyone posts all week

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's the same because of Where there aren't any fucks on any of the other days either. for those fans. Lol. The fans right here on this forum do it all the time to each other and others

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Dimebag please source your quotes because I thought I was in the middle of reading your meltdown manifesto until I remembered what thread this was :sweatdrop:
:same: haha

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sure we’ll ignore the apotheosis of Tanahashi totally not racist person.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And that Ospreay was there the whole time?

Like... is there actually a group of internet wrestling fans aware of NJPW but not that Will Ospreay existed before last week?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Is this another Vince Russo take?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Like... is there actually a group of internet wrestling fans aware of NJPW but not that Will Ospreay existed before last week?

Yes, they only know New Japan when it intersects with their interests, the WWE. They would only Will Ospreay is a guy wrestling in bingo halls and the lesser half of that Ospreay/Ricochet gif.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Of course not

They also remember him from the Ricochet match gif that made them think the flips took over the business

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The best wrestling fans are the one who take no personal enjoyment from any aspect of wrestling but what makes money for people they'll never meet.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Gonzo McFee posted:

The best wrestling fans are the one who take no personal enjoyment from any aspect of wrestling but what makes money for people they'll never meet.

truth. my favourite wrestling is steve regal wcw midcard matches from back in the day which probably drew jack poo poo but it is not like i'm on the board of directors

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonzo McFee posted:

This is why I will always defend the Austin Heel Turn. Yeah it was bad for business blah blah blah but I don't give a gently caress, Paranoid Heel Austin absolutely loving ruled.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

This is why I will always defend the Austin Heel Turn. Yeah it was bad for business blah blah blah but I don't give a gently caress, Paranoid Heel Austin absolutely loving ruled.

Really they could have threaded the needle a lot better if they had held off the heel turn until, like, Backlash and not do it IN THE HEART OF TEXAS

And maybe established someone as the surefire ascendant face along the way

Great finish in a vacuum, though. And it gave us Steve vs. Kurt for Vince’s Affections

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jerusalem posted:

Two-Man Power Trip was one of my favorite angles in wrestling. I loved Heel Austin. If I were slightly older when the Invasion happened I probably would've realized just how bad it was but even in the midst of all the garbage Austin and Kurt probably would've kept me entertained enough to stick through it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It’s funny cause I hated face Austin when I was a kid and first started watching but absolutely loved him when he turned heel. I didn’t like faces who were huge assholes to the other faces

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I remember as a kid liking Val Venis and to this day I'm not sure why he never got a main event push .

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean he was around when there were much bigger names and better choices in that scene so I don’t know that there was a great time for him to do that

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
A good half of the replies on this tweet:

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1145157699568582657

https://twitter.com/HodkoV7/status/1145158161462153216

Unprotected headshots are bad*

*unless AEW do it. and they don't do it very often. it's a setup for an angle!

Thankfully the other half of the replies are "please don't do unprotected chairshots"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Supposedly the chair was gimmicked to crumple around Cody's head, but the solid part caught him funny and caused the blood, so... yay, not a shoot chair to the head, I guess?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hopefully “even when we gimmicked the poo poo out of it, it still hosed someone up” will be the proper death knell for unprotected head shots

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/fullbeardnerd/status/1145300911465672705?s=19

https://twitter.com/fullbeardnerd/status/1145298397991186432?s=19

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

In fairness there was way more chance of someone dying in the match between 2 old dudes, one of whom looks like he's barely walking these days let alone working out.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, the first tweet doesn't sound incorrect

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I dunno how many AEW fans are clamoring for garbage WWE hardcore matches but I’m gonna guess not a ton

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I love gross garbage wrestling and still hate chair shots to the head. Dudes taking huge pieces of glass and just carving themselves up is cool as hell because it's violent, bloody, and relatively safe. You can gently caress it up but if you do it right you're not going to kill yourself or do long term damage besides a gnarly scar. Chair shots to the head are more dangerous, less violent or cool looking, and it's really hard to about long term damage. If you're going to blade to sell the chair shot then just take it on the arm, blade, and let the audience suspend some disbelief.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The unprotected chair shot was a planned dangerous spot.

Goldberg v Undertaker, as dangerous as it was, wasn't planned to be such a train wreck.

Comparing the two is dumb.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The marks: haha all the elite aew guys are super smart brain geniused whose knowledge of the business is incomparable.

Cody: time to give myself CTE on purpose to advance the agenda of tye Dillinger

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

The unprotected chair shot was a planned dangerous spot.

Goldberg v Undertaker, as dangerous as it was, wasn't planned to be such a train wreck.

Comparing the two is dumb.

Both were botches.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

projecthalaxy posted:

Cody: time to give myself CTE on purpose to advance the agenda of tye Dillinger

It wasn't a real chair, it'd be more fair to say "time to get hit with a pie tin OW gently caress ITS GOT A SHARP EDGE WE DIDNT ACCOUNT FOR"

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/status/1145375126424342528

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Have the chairs be obviously made out of aluminum foil and foam but kayfabe steel.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

dude on f4w forums posted:

Dave Meltzer has a very limited outlook on art

Has he read 1984, Slaughterhouse Five, Animal Farm, Ulysses.

Dave pretends like he knows everything about everything.

Everytime I listen to him he comes across as an all knowing one just holding something back.

Had Dave ever even taken the time to watch or read true classics. I really doubt. Just like his commentary on the stock market it is so shallow.

He is a tabloid journalist trying to be a taste maker but he is often off base and trying to mix his roles. And I no longer need him to tell me what is good and bad wrestling.

I honestly think Dave Meltzer is a somewhat small minded person who has not watched the much art that can touch people and his own hosed up view in wrestling from watching it 45 years straight has to warp his mind on the true meaning of art.

But I carry 0 significance in his opinion and I consider him to be a tabloid con man only a step up from people hawking stolen wares on the street of a major city.

I used to believe in Dave and his gospel but I am moving on. I am done.

He is a dishonest person with no true viewpoint

He says people cannot re enter a business with being out for years but Alan Moore proves him wrong.

He actually knew anything he would know Alan Moore could return to super hero comics for his ABC line years after doing amazing indie comics. He had disavowed super hero comics and not kept up with them in the 90s and yet knock them out of the park based on retro concepts in Supreme and mystical concepts in Promehea or historical fictional concepts in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Because art is art and it doesn't really change. Because the human condition doesn't really change which Meltzer cannot understand.

In the end look beyond Meltzer's limited commentary there is a world to explore.

Dave doesn't want to expand his mind he wants to troll people because it makes him feel superior.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1145434545782697984?s=19

Man there are still CTE deniers out there?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The melodramatic reactions to that chairshot are very boring.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

The melodramatic reactions to that chairshot are very boring.

They killed the melodramatic reactions to the Coffin Drop spot so not all bad

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
They aren't denying CTE.

Just the discourse is the worst.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

lets go brain damage :clap: :clap: :clap:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

time to rename the youtube show from BTE to CTE i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Pinche Rudo posted:

Have the chairs be obviously made out of aluminum foil and foam but kayfabe steel.

Honestly? Yeah.