Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zedd posted:

Happy Endings, cancelled show from a few years back.

The fact that it was only cancelled because of ABC's terrible scheduling will always be a sour note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
AP Bio is almost a good show, but I feel like the writers can't quite decide what show it's supposed to be. It starts off with Always Sunny lunacy like you'd expect, and then it slowly gets more wholesome as it goes. It's confusing.

I'd personally recommend Kim's Convenience. The first episode has a weird energy to it, but it improves very quickly in the second episode. And Mr. Chin is the best character ever written.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

If you haven't watched Santa Clarita Diet what the hell is wrong with you. It's made by the Better Off Ted showrunner and has the same comedy skeleton, albeit darker, and has almost all the BOT actors make at least cameos. I've yet to find someone who likes The Good Place and doesn't also like Santa Clarita Diet.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zedd posted:

It's one of the only shows that has ever made double entendres funny. "Oh, I'm gonna come so hard home and we're doing this" almost made me do a spit take.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
AP Bio should have focused on the kids, instead of the teachers.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Zedd posted:

One of my favorite sitcoms ever.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AP Bio was no The Mick and while it's not bad it drives me nuts that people weren't angrier about The Mick getting canceled. But now it's in Good TV With Bad Names heaven with Better Off Ted.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Whalley posted:

If you haven't watched Santa Clarita Diet what the hell is wrong with you. It's made by the Better Off Ted showrunner and has the same comedy skeleton, albeit darker, and has almost all the BOT actors make at least cameos. I've yet to find someone who likes The Good Place and doesn't also like Santa Clarita Diet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

inthesto posted:

AP Bio is almost a good show, but I feel like the writers can't quite decide what show it's supposed to be. It starts off with Always Sunny lunacy like you'd expect, and then it slowly gets more wholesome as it goes. It's confusing.

I'd personally recommend Kim's Convenience. The first episode has a weird energy to it, but it improves very quickly in the second episode. And Mr. Chin is the best character ever written.

Unsure what you mean by weird energy but I assume it's because they have to establish the core characters as well as Toronto('s multiculturalism) in 21 minutes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Eej posted:

Unsure what you mean by weird energy but I assume it's because they have to establish the core characters as well as Toronto('s multiculturalism) in 21 minutes.

It's more that the cold open of the first episode almost has this corny "teach this old man about homophobia" vibe, and since it's the very first scene of the entire show, you don't quite know where it's going.

Once you've spent a bit more time with the show, it's much easier to interpret it as Appa just being a stubborn doof.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I read Michael Schur's interview and I have to add that I completely agree that everything Stephen Merchant does makes me laugh. I wish he was in more stuff. I first saw him on the UK Office before I knew he was the co-creator and he just played a small role but it was so drat funny. And everything else I've seen him in has been amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZdxlVbziYo

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

superLINUS posted:

Someone in this thread pimped Superstore and it's great and I've nearly burned my way through it. So what else is good and irreverent and a bit weird?

Cougar Town is pretty great and overlooked, but I'm not sure it's streaming anywhere. They also had a mutual admiration with Community, so if you like Community, you'd like Cougar Town. They even had a few cameo crossovers between the shows even though they were on different networks and was just done because the people in charge thought it'd be funny.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

1glitch0 posted:

Cougar Town is pretty great and overlooked, but I'm not sure it's streaming anywhere. They also had a mutual admiration with Community, so if you like Community, you'd like Cougar Town. They even had a few cameo crossovers between the shows even though they were on different networks and was just done because the people in charge thought it'd be funny.
Yeah, it’s on Hulu. I’ve watched the first episode so far, underwhelming but I’m fully aware that the first episode of almost any show is never great.

Also worth noting, for fans of Community and Happy Endings, is that Mill Creek recently released both complete series sets on Blu-ray. Community has virtually all the extras from the DVDs, except for a few from season 2, and has the previously-Yahoo!-only commentary tracks for season 6 as a hidden feature.

Despite fitting 12-13 episodes +features onto each of the set’s first 6 discs, the picture quality is great.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Whalley posted:

Shame it only got three seasons, but they're three drat good seasons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not necessarily weird, but One Day At A Time is basically proof that a traditional multicam sitcom doesn't have to be a BBT style slog or a Last Man Standing 'home for your racist uncle's jokes'. It scratches a lot of the same itches for me that Schur's work does, the characters have that likeable, generally good people vibe with a dash of depth that B99, TGP and P&R manage,

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nobody talks poo poo about Frasier, Seinfeld, Cheers, Newhart, News Radio, and a million other four-camera, studio audience shows.

Big Bang Theory is so bad that people forget that the format it's shot in isn't broken just because this one show sucks.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Hulu havers should watch Drunk History. I forgot all about it until last night and found two complete seasons for me to watch and to say Christmas came early would be accurate.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

LividLiquid posted:

Nobody talks poo poo about Frasier, Seinfeld, Cheers, Newhart, News Radio, and a million other four-camera, studio audience shows.

Big Bang Theory is so bad that people forget that the format it's shot in isn't broken just because this one show sucks.

I will. Seinfeld was extremely overrated.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

pwn posted:

Yeah, it’s on Hulu. I’ve watched the first episode so far, underwhelming but I’m fully aware that the first episode of almost any show is never great.

Also worth noting, for fans of Community and Happy Endings, is that Mill Creek recently released both complete series sets on Blu-ray. Community has virtually all the extras from the DVDs, except for a few from season 2, and has the previously-Yahoo!-only commentary tracks for season 6 as a hidden feature.

Despite fitting 12-13 episodes +features onto each of the set’s first 6 discs, the picture quality is great.

Cougar Town is especially underwhelming for the first few episodes. It's not till episode 4 or 5 where they decide to toss the entire premise of Courtney Cox trying to get a young dude and just make the show about middle aged people drinking wine and getting into adventures.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hulu havers should watch Drunk History. I forgot all about it until last night and found two complete seasons for me to watch and to say Christmas came early would be accurate.

I love Drunk History.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Zebulon posted:

Shame it only got three seasons, but they're three drat good seasons.
I can't believe how loving batshit the show kept getting at the end of each season. In that regard, I can't think of anything else other than it and The Good Place that just ramps poo poo the gently caress up

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

superLINUS posted:

Someone in this thread pimped Superstore and it's great and I've nearly burned my way through it. So what else is good and irreverent and a bit weird?

Try The Detour on TBS. Third season is airing right now, but you need to start from the beginning.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really like AP bio but it’s really not even the same level as the good place.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Try The Detour on TBS. Third season is airing right now, but you need to start from the beginning.

I thought it got canceled! This is great news.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ted Danson doing his spoiling here, revealing Michael's true form (around the 42:00 mark, but video starts a little earlier to inform what he's saying):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz0bjLk9rUo&t=2473s

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
What we do in the shadows is fantastic. It’s the first show I’m a long time that made me immediately go back and watch it all over again.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

TyrantWD posted:

What we do in the shadows is fantastic. It’s the first show I’m a long time that made me immediately go back and watch it all over again.

You should watch the movie first, though. It's just as good as the show, but has more Taika Waititi.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Wellington Paranormal is also a great What We Do in the Shadows spinoff!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Wellington Paranormal is also a great What We Do in the Shadows spinoff!
It'd be an even better one if it was at all viewable in the US without piracy. I've been trying to watch that drat show since I heard about it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Whalley posted:

without piracy

This seems like a "you" problem.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Americans complaining they can’t watch something without piracy is really precious to me let me savour this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Americans complaining they can’t watch something without piracy is really precious to me let me savour this

While this definitely isn’t true anymore with all of the streaming services I just wish they weren’t so fractured.

It can be incredibly frustrating trying to find a service that has a show you want only to find it doesn’t have 2 others you want as well.

It’s getting better for sure but sometimes downloading the poo poo is just easier.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Whalley posted:

It'd be an even better one if it was at all viewable in the US without piracy. I've been trying to watch that drat show since I heard about it.

Are you afraid of losing points?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
illegally stream episode of tgp: -14.2342 points
deny an unbelievably horrible corporation even that tiny bit of money: +322.3241 points

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Tonight, (some of) the cast of The Good Place compete on Hollywood Game Night

quote:

Jane kicks off the new season with “American Ninja Warrior” hosts Akbar Gbajabiamila and Matt Iseman joined by “Superstore’s” Nico Santos and “The Good Place” cast members D’Arcy Carden, Marc Evan Jackson and Jameela Jamil at her new beach house. In addition to classic favorites, the teams face off in a brand-new game, “Whipflash!” Two contestants lead teams of three as they compete for a $25,000 grand prize.

NBC, 9/8 central.

Also if you missed it, Carden had a good interview on the Jimmy Kimmel show Tuesday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yxyED-KeOo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

1glitch0 posted:

Cougar Town is especially underwhelming for the first few episodes. It's not till episode 4 or 5 where they decide to toss the entire premise of Courtney Cox trying to get a young dude and just make the show about middle aged people drinking wine and getting into adventures.

What I heard was that the showrunner sold the show on the "cougar" thing, so felt obligated to run with that for the first few episodes, but as soon as he could turned it into a hangout show.

(They also considered changing the title for the second season to "Sunshine State", but they got put in a block with a short-lived show called "Mr. Sunshine" so that couldn't happen, and by the third it was considered too late.)

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I heard was that the showrunner sold the show on the "cougar" thing, so felt obligated to run with that for the first few episodes, but as soon as he could turned it into a hangout show.

(They also considered changing the title for the second season to "Sunshine State", but they got put in a block with a short-lived show called "Mr. Sunshine" so that couldn't happen, and by the third it was considered too late.)

That's funny. I knew they hated the title, but didn't know that. I don't know if "Sunshine State" a is much better title, I always liked "Wine Time". But it was too weird of a show for broadcast tv. I'll always think of it as the sister show to Community.

It's pretty amazing The Good Place will have a good run.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/1150034643514798080

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

:toot:
https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/1151154765511794688

https://twitter.com/nbcthegoodplace/status/1151156709835980806
The best comedy category is a bloodbath btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
One of the Good Place writers is up for an Emmy in another category
https://twitter.com/meganamram/status/1151160452321333251