Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I see muted people every now and then. Perhaps at least harassment reports work sometimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I see muted people every now and then. Perhaps at least harassment reports work sometimes?

It's just really hard to tell how well reports work because as a player you don't get any feedback on it. You report a jerk, they're added to your queueing blacklist, and that's the end of it. But yeah you do see people who have been muted, so you have to assume there's some sort of system in place where enough complaints merit a punishment.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

Moola posted:

or "LANES!" before the mid brawl has even finished

Well...
Mid brawls are pretty easy to judge as a likely failure from the team comps. By going head to head mid with a bad team fight comp, you are possibly giving them two lanes worth of xp and a few deaths. Going for lanes is a natural way to get the upper hand. Saying "lanes" is pretty innocuous compared to throwing your hands up and saying gg. drat, I hate the gg fucks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

anecdotally, i've been seeing way more medivhs than i had previously. dunno why he's really popular all of the sudden

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That he’s the best playmaker in the game might have something to do with it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

And you will prise him and his ability to poo poo out damage at a rate that surprises every Assassin from my cold, dead hands.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That paranoia when you're a couple of hits away from your quest and trying not to die. Medivh sweats.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Tbh, most of my Medivh deaths are post-Q attempts to be baller and take on multiple people or dive them
under towers, because killing their morale is good and fun and I happen to like endorphins tyvm.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Medivhs trying to kill me when I'm playing as aba behind towers is always really funny. It's cool when they pull it off, but most of the time I see them coming and start walking in circles around the fort, my tantalizingly low health tricking them into staying committed and dying before they manage to gate out.

I much prefer dying to medivh trying to bullshit his way behind towers than to a li ming who's found some bizarre angle that lets them blast me from the safety of the jungle

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I still remember a game where I killed the enemy Aba with Medivh, like 4 times. We lost the game because the rest of the team sucked / I spent too much time looking for ways to kill Aba and am not very good with Medivh.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This made me play Medivh for my support quest and I won every game ^^. He is pretty good.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I see that the "quests that need wins" always turns into massive losing streaks hasn't changed for me :(

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Thats just motivation to play Storm League.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
New Medivh Quest record: 2m 43s :smugbert:

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Shockeh posted:

New Medivh Quest record: 2m 43s :smugbert:

Against Vikings, samuro and nova?

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
I've done the medivh quest in under 2 minutes doing ARAM. It's pretty easy when they all group up and just kind of let you do your thing.

There is an AMA on Reddit with the dev team right now that is kind of cringey, if only because every question goes like this:

Q: when are you guys going to add/change *random thing that would take more than the ten people currently working on the game* ?

Dev Team: What a handsome question, fellow video gamer! We at HOTS are a big fan/well aware of *random thing* and understand your concerns. Concerns are very important in a gaming community and really reflect on the wonderful players we love! To answer your question, we are doing nothing to change *random thing*. Thanks, and game ON!

Repeat that like 12 times.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Against Vikings, samuro and nova?

Malfurion / Hanzo / Nova / Fenix / Chen

I’ve actually done it faster, but wasn’t clocking it. I wanted to make sure I had the replay.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Played this for the first time in six months yesterday, thought I’d give Mal Ganis a whirl. Lost 4 games in a row and logged off. hots.txt.

Took me two games to not feed with him, I was dying way faster than I remembered but this could be due to having a brightwing poly me every time I initiated.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mal'Ganis is actually pretty tough to use effectively, so that's not really surprising.

Edit:

it's a crime that there are so many choice-rear end hidden skins

Kith fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 23, 2019

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I decided to try playing this game again because there's something wrong with my brain, and in a dozen games every single one of them ended with one team up by 3 levels and all of their buildings up. In ranked and QM. Is that the new normal for post HGC HotS?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

I decided to try playing this game again because there's something wrong with my brain, and in a dozen games every single one of them ended with one team up by 3 levels and all of their buildings up. In ranked and QM. Is that the new normal for post HGC HotS?

yeah pretty much

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

You almost have to have a few friends to queue with. As long as you get some core characters in qm, you should have a much, much better chance at a good game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like that the matchmaking allows premades vs randoms in QM

good fun times on the receiving end of those

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

Isn't that just called winning/losing? I have plenty of pretty close nail biters.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Isn't that just called winning/losing? I have plenty of pretty close nail biters.

If there had been a single close game in there, sure. I'm glad that it's still possible though, even if I didn't experience it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Right now it seems like the current state of the game puts all the competitive elements into the first 15 minutes or so. The compounding effects of knocking down a fort or two, as well as the typical outcomes of the team fights due to composition and player skill, get established and work to reinforce the winning team. After that it's typically a victory lap. By adopting the game elements of more popular MOBAs in the latest rebalancing, HOTS also incorporated their tendency to promote statistical snowballing and lopsided games.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Most games don't last much longer than 15 though so seems about right.

If you play well and get a lead at the start then you should win unless you gently caress up massively.

Only time I get mega long games is when you get both teams just feeding like fools all with like 5-10 deaths.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I stopped playing because the match quality dropped through the floor when everyone who has fun by trying hard and being competitive left. I guess I hoped some of them might have come back, but that does not seem to be the case. Oh well!

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!
I stopped playing because I couldn't even get a 3 stack at peak time.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I actually started playing a game or two here or there again. I am too busy to really commit to playing a lot, and mostly just solo queue QM, or do the weekly Brawl. I still like it

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I have been enjoying myself lately. The match quality has been way iffier than it used to be, but I average about 50:50 on good matches to lovely matches. Also:

holy poo poo it's so orange

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I’ve been playing after six months off and haven’t noticed matches being any worse. I’ve been having fun.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Haven't played since the HGC being cancelled thing (or whatever happened with that, I thought the game was going into maintenance mode with no new content) happened, and uh, Chromie is a lot different now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ort posted:

I’ve been playing after six months off and haven’t noticed matches being any worse. I’ve been having fun.

mods?!

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

It feels kinda weird feeling like I have to restate this, but I am also having a lot of fun playing this game. Probably my favorite game from a feeling of light competition.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I have fun playing this game, mostly

I'm just bummed the product as a whole feels like it's taken several dozen steps backwards from where it was a few years ago

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yeah, it has. I’ve been playing Anduin lately and it seems he has no interactions with Varian and Sylvanas. Not even one of those one-sided interactions where the old hero is using a generic line. I just don’t understand.

Edit: Okay, listening to a collection of the dialogues it seems he does have interactions with both of them (the Sylvanas one is generic). Somehow I just never got to hear them in-game I guess. The Varian one should have priority and always needs to trigger on a team with him and Anduin.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 2, 2019

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Maybe with Wow Classic's success we can get HoTS Classic and go back to before the tower ammo changes happened.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah, it has. I’ve been playing Anduin lately and it seems he has no interactions with Varian and Sylvanus. Not even one of those one-sided interactions where the old hero is using a generic line. I just don’t understand.

If Anduin grabs Varian with his D ability he yells "I got you father!" so there is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Mister No posted:

Maybe with Wow Classic's success we can get HoTS Classic and go back to before the tower ammo changes happened.

This got me curious so I started looking through patch notes to figure out when peak HotS was for me and which patch I would go back to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYmqJl4MoNI&t=27s