Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Wanderer posted:

For some drat reason it's in the Great Race Space. I think it used to be in E/N at one point?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821295

There are a lot of trans people on SA right now, I've noticed, and it's a pretty educational thread overall.

I like that SA is aggressive in policing it's 'don't be a lovely person' rule. It's kind of weird to think about that the edgelords of the early 2000's got together and mellowed the gently caress out (or got banned along the way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

Some concepts have come up incidentally here like a person realizing they are trans later in life that are unfamiliar to me and I could stand the education.

It took me 14 years to begin having those thoughts, 7 more years to admit the truth to myself, and 10 years after that to finally act upon it. The fact that it took me so long to warm up to the idea is, ironically, a large part of what delayed it for so long. Self-doubting thoughts that maybe I wasn't "really" trans if I hadn't known since birth.

But hey, a suicide attempt and three nervous breakdowns back-to-back-to-back can really put your own life into perspective. What can I say? I've always been a late bloomer in all aspects of my life. This one included.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

oobey posted:

It took me 14 years to begin having those thoughts, 7 more years to admit the truth to myself, and 10 years after that to finally act upon it. The fact that it took me so long to warm up to the idea is, ironically, a large part of what delayed it for so long. Self-doubting thoughts that maybe I wasn't "really" trans if I hadn't known since birth.

But hey, a suicide attempt and three nervous breakdowns back-to-back-to-back can really put your own life into perspective. What can I say? I've always been a late bloomer in all aspects of my life. This one included.

I'm glad you're still here to share your experiences with us and also shitpost.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I realised it at about age 10, I made an abortive attempt at transition at age 20, then actually started transitioning at 32.

But yeah, there are some who don't realise they're trans until wayyyy later in life. I remember seeing a video of a 90-year-old who said "I though I was a gay man all my life, I realised just a month ago I'm actually transgender."

People usually realise it earlier these days because we actually talk about trans stuff. Back in the before times people had very little exposure to this stuff, so it was unlikely they'd see or hear something about trans issues and go "Oh, that's it! That's what I've felt all along!"

Besides the trans thread that's been linked, there's also a general trans shitpost thread (which is actually a very good thread!) in CCCC, and of course we also hang out in the general LGBT+ CCCC thread.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
why have a community though when you can just get your therapy through aggressive shitposting thats the real pro strat

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

PMush Perfect posted:

why have a community though when you can just get your therapy through aggressive shitposting thats the real pro strat

it’s the CSPAM way!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Soup du Jour posted:

it’s the CSPAM way!

:hai:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mikl posted:

I realised it at about age 10, I made an abortive attempt at transition at age 20, then actually started transitioning at 32.

But yeah, there are some who don't realise they're trans until wayyyy later in life. I remember seeing a video of a 90-year-old who said "I though I was a gay man all my life, I realised just a month ago I'm actually transgender."

People usually realise it earlier these days because we actually talk about trans stuff. Back in the before times people had very little exposure to this stuff, so it was unlikely they'd see or hear something about trans issues and go "Oh, that's it! That's what I've felt all along!"

Besides the trans thread that's been linked, there's also a general trans shitpost thread (which is actually a very good thread!) in CCCC, and of course we also hang out in the general LGBT+ CCCC thread.

I'm nonbinary, and I flat out didn't have any vocabulary to actually express how I felt until I was 30. I just thought I was fundamentally broken as a person, because being seen as a dude made me feel wretched but I didn't really feel like a girl either, and those were the two options I knew of. Discourse about it started creeping into my periphery after that point, and it wasn't until a year ago that it hit me full force that, like, holy poo poo: other people feel this way too, I'm not actually just defective?

poo poo's remarkable how much my quality of life has improved just from knowing and accepting myself.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I hope Rich is okay, and I hope Ellipsis is happy :ohdear:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This is the best derail in awhile :unsmith:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Mikl posted:

I started hormones at 31 and was 32 when I started living and teaching as a woman more or less "full-time". I knew deep down I was trans in my 20s, but the thing about coming to that realization once you're an adult is that part of you is afraid of having so much to lose. I didn't want to risk my relationship, my friendships, or my career, so I tamped it down. I also was definitely prey to that "I'm already too old!" panic. I'm definitely a little envious of people who had the guts to transition earlier, or kids coming up now for whom the decision is easier and who have access to more and better information at a younger stage, but it is what it is.

That's why being visibly "out" has been so important to me. I teach a lot of college freshman who are trans or nonbinary and who have never had a teacher or other authority figure like them, and even if I'm just some schlub I feel good that I can be sort of an example of someone who got through it and is living and being happy.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mikl posted:

Yeah, even early progressive depictions were all over the place in terms of tone and knowledge, because it was unlikely they were being done by people who knew what they were talking about.

Soap was a sitcom in the late ‘70’s, in which Billy Crystal played a gay man in one of the first openly gay roles on TV. But he was also a transvestite and also transgender because no one involved knew enough about homosexuality to realize those might be different things.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Cabbit posted:

I'm nonbinary, and I flat out didn't have any vocabulary to actually express how I felt until I was 30. I just thought I was fundamentally broken as a person, because being seen as a dude made me feel wretched but I didn't really feel like a girl either, and those were the two options I knew of. Discourse about it started creeping into my periphery after that point, and it wasn't until a year ago that it hit me full force that, like, holy poo poo: other people feel this way too, I'm not actually just defective?

poo poo's remarkable how much my quality of life has improved just from knowing and accepting myself.

:same:

If information about being trans and nonbinary had been accessible when I was growing up, I would've immediately thought "that's me! That's the word that makes sense of all these things about myself I don't understand! I know what I have to do to ease this pain, now!"

But instead I just carried this secret my whole life, and I didn't even know what it was.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Mikl posted:

Hey I also just wanted to say that 48 hours ago I had no idea there was any trans goon thread at all and now I have two to catch up on, so thanks for pointing these out.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Sorry to derail a derail but...

What is this? What does a dead shark have to do with the concept of same-ness? Why does he sink into the murky depths, only to reverse direction again? I don't understand.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TheAceOfLungs posted:

What is this? What does a dead shark have to do with the concept of same-ness? Why does he sink into the murky depths, only to reverse direction again? I don't understand.

it's a background poster from a silly anime. same means shark.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

it's a background poster from a silly anime. same means shark.

Ohhh! Thank you. I am now educated. :)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Len posted:

Agreed. I love learning. :unsmith:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Len posted:

Is it really a derail? I mean Rich did tastefully include transgender issues when he wrote Roy putting on that gender-swap belt.

(sorry, just wanted to make the shittest of posts)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Hey if I were cis I'd probably be upset over losing the Trouser Titan too.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
it's interesting that there are so relatively many gender non-conforming people on SA in general - is that because it's easier to present as one's real self behind a layer of anonymity or a thing of this website or what?

or am i simply tremendously underestimating the general number of non-confirming people in society? i guess it's partially both?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

nimby posted:

Is it really a derail? I mean Rich did tastefully include transgender issues when he wrote Roy putting on that gender-swap belt.

(sorry, just wanted to make the shittest of posts)

i mean one could read that sequence as roy having to deal with what a lot of trans people have to deal with all the time, up to and including seriously unwanted sexual attention

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

V. Illych L. posted:

it's interesting that there are so relatively many gender non-conforming people on SA in general - is that because it's easier to present as one's real self behind a layer of anonymity or a thing of this website or what?

or am i simply tremendously underestimating the general number of non-confirming people in society? i guess it's partially both?

Something Awful's general tendency towards the left in the recent years probably helps people feel more comfortable talking about that.

Also, having somehow accidentally blundered into meeting the local underground LGBT scene over where I live while being the world's most boringly vanilla cishet dude, I'll go with a gigantic yes on the second.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

V. Illych L. posted:

I can see the merit in what VanSandman said upthread: SA is still a relatively big forum with tight moderation and a "don't be a shithead" rule in place, so anyone who's going to be willfully dumb about gender issues probably won't last long.

my dad posted:

Something Awful's general tendency towards the left in the recent years probably helps people feel more comfortable talking about that.

I'm not sure it's a left vs. right thing. I have noticed that a lot of my peers, though sadly nowhere near all, have gotten more open-minded in general as they've gotten older, and this is very much a board for the olds these days. I'd be surprised if there were too many SA regulars under 30.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:
Not to be a dick about it (especially because I resemble both of these remarks), but I think autistic people are also transgender at higher rates than neurotypicals, and goons, well.

Fun fact: I'm under 30, but I didn't start hanging out here until it got less libertarian and male.

Tjadeth fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 27, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The most convincing explanation I've heard for that (autistic people are more likely to be trans) is that autistic folks already do a lot of introspection, so they're more likely to recognise that they're trans compared to the general population. Also, since they already know they're atypical, they're more likely to accept they're trans if they are, while neurotypical people tend to resist the idea.

(Disclaimer: I am not autistic, and as such I may be talking out of my rear end on this. Feel free to tell me if I'm being insensitive and/or an idiot.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Autism and schizophrenia are both linked to gender dysphoria more generally. I don't think it's a behavior thing, but rather some issue of genes and/or brain chemistry.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Not gonna lie, finding it kinda weird that Ellipsis changed her name when neither Thunt nor Tarol Hunt sound remotely gendered. I wouldn't have even known that Thunt was a man in the first place except that posts in this thread made specific reference to his wife.

V. Illych L. posted:

i mean one could read that sequence as roy having to deal with what a lot of trans people have to deal with all the time, up to and including seriously unwanted sexual attention

That's the only logical way to read it and I still have trouble parsing why Rich is so ashamed about this storyline. The only particularly good argument I remember from the last time it came up was how at the end of it Roy makes reference to his being born a man like that's the deciding element, but even that's exactly one bad word choice in what is otherwise a fairly typical body transformation storyline.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

That's the only logical way to read it and I still have trouble parsing why Rich is so ashamed about this storyline. The only particularly good argument I remember from the last time it came up was how at the end of it Roy makes reference to his being born a man like that's the deciding element, but even that's exactly one bad word choice in what is otherwise a fairly typical body transformation storyline.

I'm going to assume it's just that Rich wasn't really thinking about trans people when writing it and just wrote a bunch of jokes about gender-swapping. So even if it didn't happen to come out offensively he's still ashamed that he didn't try to avoid offence.

And more broadly OotS is a very long-running comic and Rich has grown up a lot over the course of writing it. I'm not susprised he's ashamed about parts of it that reflect things he grew out of, regardless of how it actually reads from the outside.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Some Guy TT posted:

Not gonna lie, finding it kinda weird that Ellipsis changed her name when neither Thunt nor Tarol Hunt sound remotely gendered. I wouldn't have even known that Thunt was a man in the first place except that posts in this thread made specific reference to his wife.

Maybe not to the outside observer, but I imagine someone who has spent their entire life up until then as a man named Tarol/Thunt considers those names gendered.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Maybe not to the outside observer, but I imagine someone who has spent their entire life up until then as a man named Tarol/Thunt considers those names gendered.
Yes it's probably more about changing name to mark a life change than those name being too gendered.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Also, for some trans people, your "deadname" (which is what many call their previous name) can have some painful memories associated to it, which can be triggering. So while some go for a feminised or masculinised version of their previous name for their new one (e.g. Daniel to Danielle, or the opposite), others will avoid that and pick a completely different one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tenebrais posted:

I'm going to assume it's just that Rich wasn't really thinking about trans people when writing it and just wrote a bunch of jokes about gender-swapping. So even if it didn't happen to come out offensively he's still ashamed that he didn't try to avoid offence.

And more broadly OotS is a very long-running comic and Rich has grown up a lot over the course of writing it. I'm not susprised he's ashamed about parts of it that reflect things he grew out of, regardless of how it actually reads from the outside.
He hasn't been remotely shy about being ashamed of Haley's early writing.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Some Guy TT posted:

i agree with other posters that he probably wasn't thinking in those lines at all, which is embarrassing because, well, it not being god-awful is basically down to luck

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

At a bare minimum, the problem with that segment is that the whole joke is that Roy is embarrassed to be a woman.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Alchenar posted:

At a bare minimum, the problem with that segment is that the whole joke is that Roy is embarrassed to be a woman.

My take was that Rich was making fun of the Girdle itself. In 1e and 3e AD&D, the player's gender has no effect on anything, so there's no real reason for the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity to exist, except maybe to troll players who are themselves insecure.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gynovore posted:

My take was that Rich was making fun of the Girdle itself. In 1e and 3e AD&D, the player's gender has no effect on anything, so there's no real reason for the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity to exist, except maybe to troll players who are themselves insecure.

Imagine trying to play a role in a role playing game.

Also I may be too loving cis to understand, but Roy feeling unhappy at being assigned a gender that didn't feel right to him doesn't seem transphobic, though most of the jokes made at his expense were.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
honestly, as a mid-twenties transwoman, reading those strips as they came out spoke to me in a pleasant way. I didn't know I was trans at the time, but I was curious. It was nice to see that played out in the story, even if it wasn't written with the knowledge of transpeople that society has now.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gynovore posted:

The original girdle was just a joke item, one of many. It was there to prank players that would immediately wear anything they found with a noticeable but ultimately harmless gotcha. It was a troll, but nothing about insecurity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Brainamp posted:

The original girdle was just a joke item, one of many. It was there to prank players that would immediately wear anything they found with a noticeable but ultimately harmless gotcha. It was a troll, but nothing about insecurity.

It was handled better in BG2 with Edwin/a. Even the worst character can go with the flow sometimes.