Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Two Beans posted:

Bowser's Boss Bash
7N5-TQ7-G8G

Part platformer, part boss rush. This one is set in the middle of an airship invasion, leading into storming Bowser's Castle. I actually tried to make this one not bad.

I can't get the code to work for this one. Can you double-check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Where's the fuckin disco koopa Nintendo

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008
The Monty Moles flaunt their wealth brazenly, their greed must be punished.

Covetous Cliffs
ID: 3X8-2H3-8PF

(This one might be too easy?)

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Koopa Woods
5C1-FQ9-YXG

The SMB1 forest theme is fantastic :)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My son made this level.
WLY QFH V9G

It's hard, and not particularly good, but I think he'd be happy if he saw some people had played and beat it. Don't even need a like, just please don't boo.

Also piranha plants will kill you instantly at the beginning unless you jump.

I think this would be fun in multiplayer versus where you immediately spawn when you die, so I would ask please tag it that if you feel like it.

You can despawn the Charvargh by going through a door. Also the key coins are a trap, you need to not have a key to finish the level

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 30, 2019

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hello I've made a mediocre level or three with zero plays over days (but my first test level got 300??). Lots of my "easy" levels in MM1 had a 10% or less pass rate so I've tried to keep these simpler and feel shorter.

Beyond Thunderdune
H2L-HP8-QQF

Dusty Cavern
9CV-GB4-40H

Forest of Few Ideas
HDP-SQ0-BDF

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My son made this level.
WLY QFH V9G

I just gave it a try and beat it. I say that the instakill at the start isn't very fun. Outside of that, cute little course. It was fun to chain hop on the skipsqueaks.

On my end, I made an autoscrolling underwater course full of dumb chain chomps.

Wet Chomps
7S9-0CQ-S6G

Sharizard fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 30, 2019

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Alright, one more before I dive into the spreadsheet levels:

Course ID:
WDG-DMK-J4G

Boiling Box Tower

Climb the tower and use the boxes. But be quick, the lava is rising!

This level is (get ready to be shocked) an autoscroller, but unlike the previous two, this one is vertical (and also the speed is the medium speed instead of the fastest)

Hey this was really neat, that second section especially where you're sending up boxes through the pipes to give yourself something to land on. It's cool seeing Mario and the box travelling simultaneously through separate pipes just ahead of the lava.

It's definitely a little on the difficult side but I guess I'm not sure what you could do to fix that, it could just be that everyone is still pretty unfamiliar with boxes right now. (I got to the checkpoint on my first try but then I died three or four times in the pipe section) I found the indicators helpful and I liked that there was a demonstration of the pipe/box mechanic at the checkpoint. It could be that the lava rising speed is too fast but then slow might be too slow...

But yeah, I thought it was great

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Chronojam posted:

Hello I've made a mediocre level or three with zero plays over days (but my first test level got 300??). Lots of my "easy" levels in MM1 had a 10% or less pass rate so I've tried to keep these simpler and feel shorter.

Beyond Thunderdune
H2L-HP8-QQF

Dusty Cavern
9CV-GB4-40H

Forest of Few Ideas
HDP-SQ0-BDF

I really liked all of these! Beyond Thunderdune's last jump was a bitch! (in a good way :))

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Play my new SMB1 level “Downlands”

W88-XSP-1QF

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My son made this level.
WLY QFH V9G

You can despawn the Charvargh by going through a door. Also the key coins are a trap, you need to not have a key to finish the level

I have to admit I was salty when I figured this out after managing to finally dodge the charvarg and do that jump out of the lake. A tip of the hat to your kid.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rather Watch Them posted:

Tap the brick character in the top left and it'll switch to frog. Frog makes noise.

NofrikinfuN posted:

Most of what you described is in sound effects. Hit the frog in the upper left to access it.

i saw that last night but there was still only a tiny amount of sound choices that popped up on the row.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sharizard posted:

I just gave it a try and beat it. I say that the instakill at the start isn't very fun. Outside of that, cute little course. It was fun to chain hop on the skipsqueaks.

On my end, I made an autoscrolling underwater course full of dumb chain chomps.

Wet Chomps
7S9-0CQ-S6G

I usually hate those instant kills but for some reason the weird 3D world physics shoving those guys at you just makes me laugh because it was so unexpected.

I tried to play every level in the spreadsheet last night I think I made it about a third of the way through

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

i saw that last night but there was still only a tiny amount of sound choices that popped up on the row.

When you hit the button to switch to the sound mode, clicking the search box will bring up the full list of effects.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

NofrikinfuN posted:

When you hit the button to switch to the sound mode, clicking the search box will bring up the full list of effects.

:stare: i am such a loving idiot. thank you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, remember that level in SMB3, I think it was in world 7, where you can chain together star power ups, but only if you're fast enough , otherwise the star will be another power up?

Does that gimmick exist in this game? Holy poo poo, tomorrow night can't come soon enough. I want to try this poo poo out for myself.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

DorianGravy posted:

I can't get the code to work for this one. Can you double-check?

gottdammit

Bowser's Boss Bash
7N5-TQ1-G8G

So how do I submit changes to the spreadsheet? I left a comment on my code with the correct code.

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 30, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just spent the past 2 or 3 hours doing the first 20 (technically 19) courses on the spreadsheet. I probably won't go through the entire thing again, just looking at highlights I come across in the thread just becasue there's almost 200 now at the time of this posting and I can't keep up. But for now, here's my reviews of the first 20:

PotU: Air Attack

I got to the hammer bro and stopped playing. Enemies feel kind of thrown all over the place. The checkpoint room is a mess. Instead of being a spot to chill for a second, there's the fire bars and the goombas and the canonballs filling up almost every spot in the room. The section after with the switches and the boss felt kind of pointless, as did the entire section to the right in the first part of the stage because you can easily bypass it with the canonball. I also didn't like that the front of the ship to get on was just a bit too high. 1/5

Bongo Bill: Gruesome Grave

Very cute little level and idea. It was funny seeing the comments of people who apparently died in specific spots because it's incredibly hard to actually die in this stage if you don't run ahead. Props on how tense the very last part of the stage feels. I honestly questioned if I was gonna be able to survive that or not. 4/5

J-Spot: Hurry up and wait!

Nice little stage. I like the gimmick of being forced to be patient while also having to keep moving because of the conveyer belts. A nice little challenge! 4/5

Fawf: Two Goombas

Funny. There's nothing paritcuilary amazing about the platforming but the joke of the level is executed really well. 3/5

ThisIsACoolGuy: Pipe Up

NOT FOUND

spacebump: easy, short & fun

It certainly was short and easy! It was a decent little level. The turtles at the beginning felt kind of thrown around but the rest of the stage didn't have this problem. I like the little star bonus even if it was mostly uneccessary. Probably should've had a little bit more at the end there, maybe bringing that seciton of the level higher because you don't really engage with it. You basically walk along the top and jump to the flagpole. 3/5

Al Borland Corp: Chain Chomp Factory

Fun! I liked how consistent the theme was. There were enemies everywhere but they felt delibertly placed. That section with the moles where you could use the switch to free them, I never went for the switch and you could bypass it completey, so I'm not sure what that section was for. Cute level though! 4/5

Vlad3217: Falling with style

Lol @ the troll mushroom at the beginning. Short, sweet. 3/5

FlashFearless: Abe01

Solid little level! Several little secrets for being such a small course. A fine little romp. It's also a level that can be speedran which is fine. I hope your carpet clean now. 4/5

Tnega: It's Incisive Social Commentary!

Just like real life. 5/5

ThisIsACoolGuy: Head in the clouds

Cute little "normal" level. Not a big fan of hte note blocks, I think that kind of threw off my being able to jump off of the ledges, and some of the enemy placements weren't great but otherwise good! A bunch of secrets which is also fun! 4/5

The Kins: Origins

This level was cute. I liked the theme of it. 3/5

beerniator: Lagerbier

??? ???/5

nrook: 8-3's Revenge

Decent level. Hammer Bros are probably my least favorite enemy to deal with but it's possible to mostly skip or jump over them. Solid level 3/5

found sound: Factory Spillage

I didn't think the theme of the level was really clear, but it was otherwise a decent solid level. 3/5

beerinator: Ball Jumps

Super cool level. Loved the gimmick. 5/5

(18 on the list was mine)

J-Spot: Soggy Doggies

Cute level. A bit overwhelming at times, but I liked the big chomp gauntlet in the tunnel and the little pup noteblock gauntlet was super cute. Plenty of mushrooms too so that was nice. 4/5

Cheetah7071: See the Saws

Interesting stage! I liked how you gradually taught the player how things worked. It took a while for me to figure out I wasn't actually supposed to have the thwomp catapault me and just instead wait til it's going back up to take a running jump up the see saw. That second part is probably way harder without the helmet. 4/5

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, remember that level in SMB3, I think it was in world 7, where you can chain together star power ups, but only if you're fast enough , otherwise the star will be another power up?

Does that gimmick exist in this game? Holy poo poo, tomorrow night can't come soon enough. I want to try this poo poo out for myself.

It does not but you could make it with a gadget I think. Put it on global ground heading toward a one way gate that locks it, and a thwomp triggers a on/off block when you get there, maybe? If you make it in time the star would fall down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Something I love and appreciate is the mode that gives you random levels to play based on difficulty. It appears there is a hidden criteria that based on the difficulty you pick it will choose levels based on the completion %. So if you choose easy, then it will pick levels that close to everyone has completed.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there a way to look up Makers specifically? I can only seem to search courses. There are a few creators I loved from the first MM that I'd like to try to find here.

Similarly can you see people from your Switch friends list?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Good Sphere posted:

Play my new SMB1 level “Downlands”

W88-XSP-1QF

This is great!!! I really liked it!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Macaluso posted:

Al Borland Corp: Chain Chomp Factory

Fun! I liked how consistent the theme was. There were enemies everywhere but they felt delibertly placed. That section with the moles where you could use the switch to free them, I never went for the switch and you could bypass it completey, so I'm not sure what that section was for. Cute level though! 4/5

That switch is basically an optional "fun moment" to send all those guys into the lava, with one of them sometimes having his life saved by a claw. No tangible reward except watching them fry.

I tested sound effects on them so they'd all scream but unfortunately hitting the lava doesn't trigger sound effects

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Help Im Alive posted:

Hey this was really neat, that second section especially where you're sending up boxes through the pipes to give yourself something to land on. It's cool seeing Mario and the box travelling simultaneously through separate pipes just ahead of the lava.

It's definitely a little on the difficult side but I guess I'm not sure what you could do to fix that, it could just be that everyone is still pretty unfamiliar with boxes right now. (I got to the checkpoint on my first try but then I died three or four times in the pipe section) I found the indicators helpful and I liked that there was a demonstration of the pipe/box mechanic at the checkpoint. It could be that the lava rising speed is too fast but then slow might be too slow...

But yeah, I thought it was great

Thanks glad you liked it! :) It's apparently way harder than I intended, though I did intend for it to still be difficult. I watched a streamer play it, and they didn't seem to get the second section until I told them they could throw the boxes into the pipes. I probably should've made the checkpoint section larger to better force the player to throw the box into the pipe so they'd pick up on it more. Likewise I probably should've changed the beginning section so that you have to fill the lava with the boxes so the first section is a bit clearer. I also saw a couple of spots where the streamer bypassed the challenge of a few parts of both sections that I didn't intend but eh well, you literally can't complete the second section without bringing a box with you there's no way to cheese that as far as I can see.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I tried to build a level based on that and requiring a star to end the stage and found that it did not work.

It does not but you could make it with a gadget I think. Put it on global ground heading toward a one way gate that locks it, and a thwomp triggers a on/off block when you get there, maybe? If you make it in time the star would fall down.

Yeah, you could lock the next star behind something typically invulnerable... Well, I think I'll play with that concept this afternoon.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

This is a medium difficulty level about managing P-switches and Spiketops. I think it's pretty forgiving in terms of difficulty, but let me know what you think.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, you could lock the next star behind something typically invulnerable... Well, I think I'll play with that concept this afternoon.

That is much simpler!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Random Stranger posted:

I tried to build a level based on that and requiring a star to end the stage and found that it did not work.

Do progressive power ups not work with stars? That’s a bummer, I was thinking of trying something like that as well.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

:stare: i am such a loving idiot. thank you.

No problem. Sounds are fun to mess with and can be activated in multiple ways. Dragging music onto Mario effectively changes the levels soundtrack, while putting an effect like fireworks on him will cause them to activate when he jumps. (Though there is a cooldown of a second or two between activations.)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hey it’s your boy back with another hot banger called

Da Dip
93B-QW5-BNG

I can’t do the whole spreadsheet thing cu I’m on a phone and I’d have to download an app but I will go through the thread and try out levels that sound neat.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
How do you make one way pipes?

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Dork457 posted:

Not really understanding how to progress past the spikey helmet. Like the aesthetic though!

Thanks! I think this section keeps failing for people because they either don't know you can get enough height to grab the spiky helmet if you run and jump, or that they don't climb the vine after breaking the block with the helmet. Not sure what it is because I've tried to break this set up in every possible way I can think of & no matter what it keeps triggering the vine. I can't get it to fail & I think I'm going out of my mind. Either way, I'm going to avoid ambiguous set ups like this in the future. I was just too in love with the idea of a spooky vine triggering after you kill the lights so to speak

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Castor Poe posted:

I don’t think you can

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Castor Poe posted:

A down slope immediately after a pipe exit, or just have the exit floating above the ground. Or place a one way gate next to the pipe.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

karma_coma posted:

I really liked all of these! Beyond Thunderdune's last jump was a bitch! (in a good way :))

Thanks, I was trying to have it be a challenging but still very satisfying "final escape" thing.

I figured juking skeletons was more dramatic than just a safe hop.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Cheetah7071: See the Saws

Interesting stage! I liked how you gradually taught the player how things worked. It took a while for me to figure out I wasn't actually supposed to have the thwomp catapault me and just instead wait til it's going back up to take a running jump up the see saw. That second part is probably way harder without the helmet. 4/5

I considered the catapult but couldn't figure out a way to enforce using it. It's pretty small so I'm not sure there's any way to make it so it gets you to a spot that a normal jump can't. Maybe something where doing it with a jump is tricky but the catapult gets you into exactly the right height

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

So the 'stone' item is unique to story mode right? Same with the toads?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cave Adventure

Supposed to be a chill semi-story-based cave exploration theme.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

A down slope immediately after a pipe exit, or just have the exit floating above the ground. Or place a one way gate next to the pipe.

Thanks buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Here's my first level, Koopas and Pipes Oh My, Y5D FFK 32H .

Salastine posted:

The Monty Moles flaunt their wealth brazenly, their greed must be punished.

Covetous Cliffs
ID: 3X8-2H3-8PF

(This one might be too easy?)

This was fun! I almost died at the very end but that spring saved me.