Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Judakel posted:

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1145338268197838848

Let's be honest about who Warren is: Hillary 2.0 with a better set of "plans".

I mean the first part of what she's saying is right about squandering American influence though I would argue that the American electorate pretty much did that when they elected Trump president.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

I mean the first part of what she's saying is right about squandering American influence though I would argue that the American electorate pretty much did that when they elected Trump president.

US security is code for interventionism and being a war hawk.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Typo posted:

as someone who was much more bullish on biden's chances than almost everyone else itt Biden is currently on track to poll 4/5th by Jan 2020

the actual policy questions from the 1970s could be overcame, the problem is that Biden is clearly no longer the Biden who fought Paul Ryan in 2012. It's clear the dude is starting to have senior moments and is not there 100% of the time anymore. Almost every actual voter in the D base care the most about taking down TRUMP and wants a fighter to go in there and rip the guy's face off, the Biden of 2012 certainly looked to be that person but the Biden of 2020 is Mr.Senile and nobody would pick him to go after Trump instead of <insert candidate>.

I was startled at how different he was. Obvious signs of deline happen, it def happened to him but-----

This is anecdotal but I have spent the last 15 years around a fuckton of old people. Little skinny well preserved old ladies like Elizabeth tend to stay spry and clear FOREVER. Oc she might have a stroke tomorrow but man does she seem clear af, not slowed down or affected by aging at all.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Typo posted:

Clinton 2008 actually did pretty well and tied the PV w/obama, unless Biden comes back 100% swinging after a brain transplant or something next debate he's on track to win 1 random state in March or something and that's it

But the point is that Clinton had a commanding lead in the polls that was based on people who liked Obama better thinking that she was the most electable, and then when she actually lost Iowa there was a massive swing because the aura of electability cracked.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Judakel posted:

Warren pretty much repeats lovely centrist D talking points on foreign policy. It's not something she really thinks about that much.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Damage Case posted:

except she literally didn't

“But she got three million votes more than Trump!!!”

People will respond with this without a hint of irony or self reflection.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

Warren pretty much repeats lovely centrist D talking points on foreign policy. It's not something she really thinks about that much.

I am glad you know what she thinks. I know what she says, and I see a continuation of US foreign policy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ytlaya posted:

Also, I have no clue what you're trying to get at with the abortion thing, since there's a pretty fuckin huge difference between "people upset about politicians teasing doing a very important good thing and not doing it" and "people upset about politicians teasing doing something that will cause millions of women to suffer and not doing it." Like seriously, what the gently caress lol, I don't think you thought this out. Imagine I posted the @dril "there is no difference between good things and bad things" tweet
Yes, I’m using false equivalency here because it’s not a debate about morals, it’s the old incrementalism talk. It was said here long ago that if a Obama really wanted a public option, he should have pushed for single payer. He didn’t, and we got what we did now. The far right has long bitched about GOP presidents not giving them exactly what they want right now, but the incremental changes of the past 19 years has made things very lovely indeed.

quote:

Uh, is it just me or are you basically saying "PoC will support the PoC candidate even if they're more racist to PoC"? That seems like a kinda messed up thing to think!
No, I’m just saying I’m tired of white posters telling me they know what minority voters want. There was a black guy on Hardball a few days ago who said an “ethnic minority” absolutely must be a part of every ticket from now on, which seemed to me a little much, but hearing it from him was better than hearing from, like, I’m just gonna guess like 80% of the people here.
It’s not so much the message as it is the messengers. People writing candidates off as ruined forever for not connecting with people they can’t cancel on others behalf is just kind of tiring, but it’s been a large part of Bernie or busting.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

mcmagic posted:

That tweet was pretty lame, yes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Judakel posted:

I am glad you know what she thinks. I know what she says, and I see a continuation of US foreign policy.

I was pretty much agreeing with you.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

I was pretty much agreeing with you.

Good. I know you're a big Warren booster, so it was hard to tell. I find the complete lack of care for foreign policy from the average American voter to be pretty disturbing.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

Clinton 2008 actually did pretty well and tied the PV w/obama, unless Biden comes back 100% swinging after a brain transplant or something next debate he's on track to win 1 random state in March or something and that's it

clinton was basically dead in the water after south carolina. the rest of the primary was basically an exercise in assuaging numerous egos

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Judakel posted:

Good. I know you're a big Warren booster, so it was hard to tell. I find the complete lack of care for foreign policy from the average American voter to be pretty disturbing.

I mean maybe I like her more than you, or some of the other leftists on here do but I wouldn't call myself a big booster of her's.... I'm voting for Berine in the primary but if she is the nominee, i would feel positive about voting for her.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Yes, I’m using false equivalency here because it’s not a debate about morals, it’s the old incrementalism talk. It was said here long ago that if a Obama really wanted a public option, he should have pushed for single payer. He didn’t, and we got what we did now. The far right has long bitched about GOP presidents not giving them exactly what they want right now, but the incremental changes of the past 19 years has made things very lovely indeed.

You're arbitrarily drawing the line between "incremental" and "absolutist" in a way that is convenient to you, but not in a way that makes any logical sense. M4A is itself not a full solution; it doesn't actually nationalize most of the industries involved in providing healthcare.

And the more important difference is that the "incremental" alternatives to left-wing ideas are proposed specifically because the people proposing them want to avoid the outcome the left desires. This is not true for the Republicans, who generally share the desires of their base (or at least don't have a problem with them).

Craptacular! posted:

No, I’m just saying I’m tired of white posters telling me they know what minority voters want. There was a black guy on Hardball a few days ago who said an “ethnic minority” absolutely must be a part of every ticket from now on, which seemed to me a little much, but hearing it from him was better than hearing from, like, I’m just gonna guess like 80% of the people here.
It’s not so much the message as it is the messengers. People writing candidates off as ruined forever for not connecting with people they can’t cancel on others behalf is just kind of tiring, but it’s been a large part of Bernie or busting.

Well, there's kinda a few separate things here and it's not clear what you're talking about. One is evaluating how good a candidate's policies are for minority groups, which is obviously fine and it's dumb to be opposed to that or care about who's saying it. Another is stating the result of polls; for example, it is a fact that certain candidates poll better or worse with different minority groups, and it's fine to push back against false narratives that are directly contradicted by this (though it's bad to attribute this to those candidates being better/worse on minority issues, or to act like those poll results are some 100% reliable or permanent thing).

The only real situation where what you're saying makes sense is when someone is talking about whether they personally trust a candidate to be an advocate for their group.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Berine Sanders

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

It’s not logically possible for someone who lost a presidential election by 70,000 votes to not be “remotely” electable. Sorry you don’t understand words.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s not logically possible for someone who lost a presidential election by 70,000 votes to not be “remotely” electable. Sorry you don’t understand words.

It is when you lose to Donald loving Trump due to your own incompetence, hth.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

She lost to the only possible person with a competing claim of worst candidate in history after being helped tremendously by the existential dread that other candidate inspired in millions. She was never "electable" and if her opponent had been a stock Republican she'd have been embarassed even futher.

In general though, lol at someone's politics being so contemptible that they snap to defend the honor of a ghoulish war criminal who is 100% gonna burn in eternal hellfire due to the hell she helped visit upon millions of people.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Typo posted:

as someone who was much more bullish on biden's chances than almost everyone else itt Biden is currently on track to poll 4/5th by Jan 2020

the actual policy questions from the 1970s could be overcame, the problem is that Biden is clearly no longer the Biden who fought Paul Ryan in 2012. It's clear the dude is starting to have senior moments and is not there 100% of the time anymore. Almost every actual voter in the D base care the most about taking down TRUMP and wants a fighter to go in there and rip the guy's face off, the Biden of 2012 certainly looked to be that person but the Biden of 2020 is Mr.Senile and nobody would pick him to go after Trump instead of <insert candidate>.

I'm sure his word mix ups and slurring are the product of a decaying brain but I can't help but think the significant amount of work he's had done on his face is physically effecting his ability to annunciation words.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
been a while since i checked my funk & wagnalls but pretty sure electable implies one got elected

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Lol this is the political equivalent of saying Dan Merino sucked because he was a choker who never won it all.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Judakel posted:

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1145338268197838848

Let's be honest about who Warren is: Hillary 2.0 with a better set of "plans".

Judakel posted:

This tweet seems pretty innocuous to me. Good thing you're here to read between the lines and let us know she actually meant "American Empire Forever!"

The hate for Warren in this thread doesn't actually seem to be particularly grounded in reality, but instead on this kind of nonsense.

I know I'll get laughed at for going to her website (because Clinton had a website!) but:

"https://elizabethwarren.com/issues/#a-foreign-policy-for-all" posted:

A strong military should act as a deterrent so that most of the time, we won’t have to use it. We must continue to be vigilant about the threat of terrorism, but it’s time to bring our troops home – and make sure they get support and benefits they’ve earned.

We should also leverage all the tools of our national power, not just our military might. That means cutting our bloated defense budget and ending the stranglehold of defense contractors on our military policy. It means reinvesting in diplomacy and standing with our allies to advance our shared interests. It means new solutions to new global challenges, from cybersecurity to the existential threat posed by climate change.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This tweet seems pretty innocuous to me. Good thing you're here to read between the lines and let us know she actually meant "American Empire Forever!"

The hate for Warren in this thread doesn't actually seem to be particularly grounded in reality, but instead on this kind of nonsense.

I know I'll get laughed at for going to her website (because Clinton had a website!) but:

It's actually grounded on poo poo like her approving of Israel exploding Palestinian schools and hospitals but I'm far beyond the point of expecting her fans to acknowledge her warhawking horseshit at this point.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Ok now you have me curious. Since the OP's contention was that Warren was similar to Clinton, and you did post the website....

Warren:

quote:

A strong military should act as a deterrent so that most of the time, we won’t have to use it. We must continue to be vigilant about the threat of terrorism, but it’s time to bring our troops home – and make sure they get support and benefits they’ve earned.

We should also leverage all the tools of our national power, not just our military might. That means cutting our bloated defense budget and ending the stranglehold of defense contractors on our military policy. It means reinvesting in diplomacy and standing with our allies to advance our shared interests. It means new solutions to new global challenges, from cybersecurity to the existential threat posed by climate change.

Clinton:

quote:

As secretary of state, Hillary Clinton worked to restore America’s leadership in the world after it was badly eroded by eight years of the Bush administration’s go-it-alone foreign policy. She oversaw significant accomplishments, from building a global coalition to impose crippling sanctions against Iran, to brokering a ceasefire in Gaza and protecting Israel, to supporting President Obama’s decision to bring Osama bin Laden to justice, and much more. Defending America and our core values is one of the cornerstones of Hillary’s campaign.
Embrace all the tools of American power, especially diplomacy and development, to be on the front lines solving problems before they threaten us at home. Diplomacy is often the only way to avoid a conflict that could end up exacting a much greater cost. It takes patience, persistence, and an eye on the long game—but it’s worth it.

(https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/national-security/)

Funny enough, Clinton didn't actually have a distinct "foreign policy" issues page afaik.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mcmagic posted:

To me, it just sounds like "political capital" all over again - centrists inventing a secret currency that must be spent in order to do good things, so that any bad actions can be explained away as simply saving up their points to spend on good actions later. Prohibiting politicians from engaging in de-escalation and normalization with the boomers' most hated countries unless it's tied to a profitable transaction which benefits American foreign policy interests is not a good way to pursue real peace. I'm not thrilled about the Dems' habit of looking at a friendly hand extended toward a longtime enemy, and throwing a fit because we gave them something they wanted for free.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Nm

guestimate fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 30, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Lol this is the political equivalent of saying Dan Merino sucked because he was a choker who never won it all.

you know how the cowboys dragged Peyton Manning's broken corpse kicking and screaming to his last super bowl ring

like that, only the defense in charge of dragging him there got outfoxed by a dumpy con artist and spent the subsequent years saying "but really, he used to be good!"

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Warren might be bad on Palestine and other foreign policy issues, but I can’t find anything objectionable in that tweet about North Korea other than it’s boilerplate.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

We're a button press away from ethering the entirety of North Korea, but yeah sure we totally need some diplomacy to promote US security or whatever

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you know how the cowboys dragged Peyton Manning's broken corpse kicking and screaming to his last super bowl ring

like that, only the defense in charge of dragging him there got outfoxed by a dumpy con artist and spent the subsequent years saying "but really, he used to be good!"

Are you trying to say Peyton Manning wasn't good?
Or did you mean an actual cowboys qb?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Ogmius815 posted:

Is this a gimmick account?

I liked calibanibal better tbh.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cerebral Bore posted:

I have some news for you too. See, this kinda poo poo you're saying here? It doesn't loving work. You can't scold somebody to vote the way you want them to, and 2016 really ought to have taught everyone that.
The continued self-righteousness after electability-above-all crashed and burned in 2016 is hard to fathom, especially when it's coming from people who aren't cynical think-tank ghouls.

The Reasonable Centrist Electable Dem candidate in my neighboring district is a CIA agent who ran ads to make sure we all know she supports ICE. Do I seriously have a moral duty to vote for the Schutzstaffel agent who affirms her support for the Gestapo?

quote:

In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that this is counterproductive liberal bullshit, because individualizing the responsibility and passing it on to voters lets the party establishment off the hook, and they're a million times more responsible for losing elections than some rando on the internet. So if you wanna yell at somebody, go yell at the Dem leadership for being a buncha incompetent fuckups.
Indeed, this framing everything as an all-hands-on-deck catastrophe is why the Democratic Party has been dragged further and further to the right for decades, to the point that we're staring down the barrel of a genuine climate catastrophe with leadership that mostly doesn't give a gently caress.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Are you trying to say Peyton Manning wasn't good?
Or did you mean an actual cowboys qb?

he was good. once. the broncos team that dragged his broken body to a super bowl ring was dragging his broken body to a super bowl ring.

for some reason I confused the broncos with the cowboys, though. whops.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Anyone "remotely" electable would have blown the most unpopular candidate in American history out of the water.

Nearly any other democraat would have won handily because there would have been no national security scandal for the FBI to reopen right before the election.

The way Ogmius uses "electable" is completely meaningless, if the definition of "electable" includes literally almost every Democrat then the concept is obviously completely useless as a guide to choosing which Democrat is the best nominee

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Even the best possible interpretation of Warren that downplays or ignores all the bad things is "a less reliable Bernie Sanders." Even if someone wants to be a total rube and trust her on things like M4A despite her explicitly waffling on the issue within the past 1-2 months, it still makes zero sense to support her over the candidate who doesn't have that problem.

In the case of foreign policy, I would bet money that Warren will basically just be a continuation of Obama. On the other hand, while Sanders is still very far from ideal, he would still represent an improvement and definitely wouldn't do things like support foreign coups. Sanders' history also gives far more reason to be confident that he would push back if the Pentagon or other politicians tried to persuade him to support something bad. I see no reason to have that same confidence about Warren.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

is pepsi ok posted:

We're a button press away from ethering the entirety of North Korea, but yeah sure we totally need some diplomacy to promote US security or whatever

Keep in mind most people have not read long articles on strategic defense and the options in North Korea. If they did, they’ll see every retaliation has enormous cost to either us or the South Koreans and maybe Japan, and the most likely outcome is that we’re going to have to accept that the Kim dynasty can point nuclear warheads at the lower 48 and learn to live under that threat. Long detailed infopieces about the various options usually end with, “well maybe we should being back 1950s style nuclear drills to classrooms again.”

The candidates can’t actually say that, though. Most everyday Americans who don’t obsess over politics believe it’s unacceptable to surrender an untouchable mainland. Like a lot of privileges, it’s not one people let go of easily. So I’m not sure exactly what kind of statement you want from Warren, because “wake up and face to the shadow of annihilation” doesn’t really make people Pokémon Go to the polls.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well Bernie Sanders sounds pretty different so maybe it's possible to sound different after all, and the idea that every politician is psychically compelled to parrot MIC war propaganda is absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

he was good. once. the broncos team that dragged his broken body to a super bowl ring was dragging his broken body to a super bowl ring.

for some reason I confused the broncos with the cowboys, though. whops.

He had a better passer rating in those playoffs than he did when he won with Indy, and that includes a game winning drive. This isn't a good analogy for you.