Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is there anyway to place where a background detail is (like the grandfather clock on the Super Mario 3 ghost house theme) or is completely random based on how long a run of ground tile is made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there anyway to place where a background detail is (like the grandfather clock on the Super Mario 3 ghost house theme) or is completely random based on how long a run of ground tile is made?

Random but you can copy them when they spawn. So if you get a clock on one tile, you can move/copy that exact tile to put clocks wherever. Same with any random decoration that appears.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It seems to be random but if you move a ground block with a detail on it the detail will move too

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

karma_coma posted:

This is great!!! I really liked it!

Good to hear! Really appreciate it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's random but you can copy the tile with the feature you want. So make some ground and copy each feature over to an unused corner for later use.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Grim Grinder Gallery
1PH-5NH-LVG

warning: ended up much crueler than originally envisioned. An exciting cart ride, rising lava puzzle work, a mean boss that had me laughing really hard and excited to try to make dry shell levels that are less cruel.

I guess my next few should be gentle vanilla Mario flavor. I didn't plan to launch a Super Expert candidate on my second try. Just had the idea to try and make something that plays out differently based on choice of cart after I realized the blue skull raft is too fast but the blue flimsy lift is too slow but they're the only options for player-activated? Gives me some ideas for having a choice of ride(claw, spring, etc) and activating one based on use of On/Off switch and rail switching.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Good Sphere posted:

Play my new SMB1 level “Downlands”

W88-XSP-1QF

This stage desperately needed a checkpoint. The shoes hopping is really funky on stair steps and throwing a dozen of them in on steps was kind of annoying, too. Layout was excellent, though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Two Beans posted:

gottdammit

Bowser's Boss Bash
7N5-TQ1-G8G

So how do I submit changes to the spreadsheet? I left a comment on my code with the correct code.

That's what it already says on the spreadsheet?

Well, that level exists, so I guess it's good.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 30, 2019

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I had a go at a boss battle: TPK-7PJ-LVG

It's a bit on the tricky side, but if I can beat it in one life it can't be that bad.

And of course, if you're really having trouble on the final form you can always just grind him down with shells

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Overall my feedback for a lot of levels with cool themes and clever design is that they have a couple points that are unnecessarily hard with tricky one-block jumps or gotcha enemies. Trust in your designs folks you don't need to throw in those extra bits of difficulty, it isn't usually thematically consistent so it doesn't add to what your level feels like, it's just some jarring frustration.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Hey, we made it to 200 levels great job everyone!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Prate posted:

Here's my first level, Koopas and Pipes Oh My, Y5D FFK 32H .

Levels at the bottom of pages need the most attention!

Nice short level but that last jump is brutal. I kept looking for a way around it. Maybe give the player some indication that they're supposed to go for it. Also, lots of turtles out of the pipes; slowing them down would have been nice.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anybody have a level sitting at 0 likes after a day? I'll play it and like it (unless it's garbage) to get it into endless

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

cheetah7071 posted:

Anybody have a level sitting at 0 likes after a day? I'll play it and like it (unless it's garbage) to get it into endless

I'd love to know your thoughts regarding Abyss Castle, PW9-W07-TPG

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Am I blind or is there no way to place a koopa out of its shell?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ultrachrist posted:

Am I blind or is there no way to place a koopa out of its shell?

None that I have found, it's really stupid.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

No koopa shaming you rats

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Look I just wanna create a level where you have to race a naked koopa to his shell to make one big jump before the exit.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

karma_coma posted:

I'm not the person you replied to, but I gave the level a try. I like the second section with the platforming, but the falling portion seemed a little too random. There wasn't enough time to see the enemies to decide what to do about them, so I mostly just stayed in the middle and hoped for the best. The idea of descending a cave into an underground lair is really cool, though. I think the descending portion should be a bit slower paced and with more platforming (like descending through a winding cave) instead of just falling, so it will be cool to see what you come up with next.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Uploaded a few more levels to the sheet, including the start of my SMV Sequel Project. All of the standard levels to play like traditional Mario, complete with 8 themed Worlds. Each stage will have a 10, 30, and 50 coin to find. Expect those in bonus rooms and challenging locations. I'm trying to make these levels a bit easier too, and sticking to a few core concepts per stage.

Up first, we have the Woodland World.

SMV 1-1: Cheep Cheep Creek
HQ2-VT2-TQF

This one focuses on a few different enemy mechanics that differ depending on the water level.

SMV 1-2: Creeper Cavern
HSM-825-GNF

I forced myself to make an 2D World level to learn the new tileset, so I went simple here. Creepers are the start of the show.

Lastly, while not part of the SMV project...
Ruinous Ruin
TT5-Q6W-VNF
While experimenting with SMB slope controls, I decided to make this little level. Definitely a short and sweet.

Feedback welcome, and I hope you enjoy!

Also, I've been playing/liking scattered levels on the list. Overall I recommend y'all put some more power ups in your stages. Lots of fun concepts, but they seem over-tuned and leave little room for error. I did really enjoy this one though:

The Kins posted:

Venture into an abandoned shack and put a stop to the nefarious Octomancer, Ikarus!

Great theming on the level. Be careful with Thwomps on vertical levels - they can be a really unpleasant surprise.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Saw 1000: Luigis Revenge
P12-B4S-9NG

Luigi has kidnapped Mario and has subjected him to a horrifying escape room of death!

My first attempt at a narrative Kaizo stage. I made it as hard as I possibly could while keeping with good themeing and narrative. Please no spoilers if you post about it so others can keep the challenge.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

karma_coma posted:

A bit easy for my tastes but plenty of people like that difficulty level. The no gimmicks bowser fight at the end was a bit weak. Still I liked it and gave it a heart to get it into endless

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The problem is I'm basically ignoring what's coming up in the thread because I can't keep up with it whatsoever, so I'm just going through the spreadsheet in order which means I might get to the people posting stuff today by like Friday at this rate.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Imagine Mario Maker, with a mouse 😳

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Phantasium posted:

The problem is I'm basically ignoring what's coming up in the thread because I can't keep up with it whatsoever, so I'm just going through the spreadsheet in order which means I might get to the people posting stuff today by like Friday at this rate.

Yeah that exact problem is why I made my offer

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DarkLich posted:

Lastly, while not part of the SMV project...
Ruinous Ruin
TT5-Q6W-VNF
While experimenting with SMB slope controls, I decided to make this little level. Definitely a short and sweet.

I don't know if this is on purpose, but you can dodge the megashroom at the start which kinda makes the rest of the stage trivial, it's a pretty neat troll if intended route is to dodge it. I like the themeing in the level though, looking forward to your SMV project if they have the same attention to detail.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My son made this level.
WLY QFH V9G

It's hard, and not particularly good, but I think he'd be happy if he saw some people had played and beat it. Don't even need a like, just please don't boo.

Also piranha plants will kill you instantly at the beginning unless you jump.

I think this would be fun in multiplayer versus where you immediately spawn when you die, so I would ask please tag it that if you feel like it.

You can despawn the Charvargh by going through a door. Also the key coins are a trap, you need to not have a key to finish the level

liked and commented

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Super Happy Fun Slide
1YY-L4K-QVF

Short and too the point. Also, my first attempt with Mario Maker 2.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Cactrot posted:

Look I just wanna create a level where you have to race a naked koopa to his shell to make one big jump before the exit.

you can use a beatle. also check out my level Run!! on the spreadsheet

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I wish there were a fully-fledged background layer for silly stuff that doesn't get in the way.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

Super Happy Fun Slide
1YY-L4K-QVF

Short and too the point. Also, my first attempt with Mario Maker 2.

Does what it says on the box. Lets throw it into endless.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did SMM1 ever get consistent notation for "fire a fireball here" for fast paced levels? Like how creators would put in a track of a specific shape to indicate a twirl or a big Z to indicate a spin jump

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

cheetah7071 posted:

If you don't mind giving some feedback, I made this trash:

Hansolio posted:

Just put my first ever level in the sheet.

TR8-86R-RKG
Mtn. Don't

Avoid anything spiky and you can definitely cheese the spin jump on the spiny shell, but at least now I know.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Is there a way to look up Makers specifically? I can only seem to search courses. There are a few creators I loved from the first MM that I'd like to try to find here.

Similarly can you see people from your Switch friends list?

Bumping this because I did a little research and I don't think you can actually view your friends list in game? I knew they're going to "patch in" multiplayer with friends but I thought that was referring to playing courses with them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's a Maker ID in your profile if you hit "More info" that's similar to the Course IDs, I think that might the only way to find a specific person

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

When you search by ID in course world, the text that pops up is "Please input the Course ID or Maker ID you want to search for."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hansolio posted:

If you don't mind giving some feedback, I made this trash:

"full speed is sometimes bad" is extremely not my cup of tea but then all the jumps were doable at top speed so it all worked out. A few things:

I personally think running is fun, and a good level shouldn't punish the player for having fun. The spring and fish were kind of trash (even though they didn't catch me)
You don't actually ever need to jump on a spiny the entire level. You can get over the spike hills just with big jumps, and you can get a shellmet from the cannon and damage boost over the munchers instead of spinning on the shell
The cannon is off the top of the screen unless you specifically jump to scroll the screen up. I'd lower it by one block so that it's on-screen (and will fire) just by standing on the floor beneath it.

Still gave it a like to get it into endless.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Working on a level and I'm racking my brain here. What can hurt Yoshi from the bottom that doesn't move? I know a fire bar or burner can do it but I need a constant source of damage from the bottom, like a spike or mucher would do to Mario.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

internet celebrity posted:

Working on a level and I'm racking my brain here. What can hurt Yoshi from the bottom that doesn't move? I know a fire bar or burner can do it but I need a constant source of damage from the bottom, like a spike or mucher would do to Mario.

nothing comes to mind, could you do a rail with a bunch of podobos on it moving back and forth?

e: or boos, maybe? there aren't many things yoshi's feet just ignore

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've created a complex structure of interwoven paths, I'm down to making the last challenge for the player, and I run headlong into the engine breaking on me.

So what I'm doing is locking stars behind thwomps, they're the only solid structure that blocks the stars and is vulnerable to invincibility. So far so good. The problem is that the game despawns thwomps when you're two screens away, but not the stars. So when you enter an area, the star is trapped. When you double back through it like I've designed my stage for, the star can be anywhere.

I guess I'm rebuilding this around the thwomps covering question blocks that contain the stars, but that reduces the urgency...