Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I took the afternoon off to start cleaning out the boxes and misc crap from the room that will be my girlfriend’s daughter’s when they move in the summer, and...I’m sure I’ll start it today. right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I took the afternoon off to start cleaning out the boxes and misc crap from the room that will be my girlfriend’s daughter’s when they move in the summer, and...I’m sure I’ll start it today. right?

just go do like two boxes and then go smoke a bowl and watch tv or something, then it’s already started when you get up and you can start to whittle away at it instead of the seemingly monumental task of beginning it

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
Cleaning is insanely hard yes. And it's weird because I can clean up like warm cat vomit or whatever nasty poo poo, but then theres innocuous stuff that leaves me paralyzed for some reason

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Splitting cleaning up into tiny chunks was huge for me. When I shifted from "I will clean this room today" to "I will clean whatever is most egregious for five minutes, every day" I steadily went from living in basically a trash nest to having people assume I was obsessive compulsive.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

that's a pretty good approach. I moved a couple months ago. It was a sprint as my wife and i had like 16 hours to vacate our old place and move into our new place. I got everything out of the uhaul and into our (first ever) garage and just piecemealed moving in 10 minutes at a time after the clothes and furniture made it up the stairs to the second floor apartment. Much less stressful than fighting the anxiety of the situation

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

Splitting cleaning up into tiny chunks was huge for me. When I shifted from "I will clean this room today" to "I will clean whatever is most egregious for five minutes, every day" I steadily went from living in basically a trash nest to having people assume I was obsessive compulsive.

for sure the key is to get some small successes rolling rather than bogging down in the big picture

true for a lot of diffuse tasks

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Frog Act posted:

just go do like two boxes and then go smoke a bowl and watch tv or something, then it’s already started when you get up and you can start to whittle away at it instead of the seemingly monumental task of beginning it

yeah, I went and took a box of donatables out of the room and moved it to the car, but then it was time to leave for dinner (of course)

microgoals are definitely my friend. I think one thing that’s contributing here is that I can see the whole problem when I’m working on it, and it gets daunting. after dinner I’ll try moving a box out into the hall and working on it there, maybe

I made a chart in my journal so I get to colour things in as I finish, which feels good too

thanks for your support!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

for sure the key is to get some small successes rolling rather than bogging down in the big picture

true for a lot of diffuse tasks

And it especially works for cleaning because each step creates a visible reminder of how much you're getting done. Start where you spend the most time and do projects that make a big visible difference.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Goon Danton posted:

And it especially works for cleaning because each step creates a visible reminder of how much you're getting done. Start where you spend the most time and do projects that make a big visible difference.

any tips for like

not.... doing this and then you look up and see that you've just spent all this time of your one and only life doing this and look, the rest of your house is still a loving mess you stupid worthless slob you spent all that time and didn't even clean the whole thing

because that's where i always gently caress up when i try to microgoal

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

InediblePenguin posted:

any tips for like

not.... doing this and then you look up and see that you've just spent all this time of your one and only life doing this and look, the rest of your house is still a loving mess you stupid worthless slob you spent all that time and didn't even clean the whole thing

yet! you didn’t clean it yet. you’ll get to it, in time, via slow progress

(now I can’t wait to get home to clean? wtf brain)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

any tips for like

I'm not sure I can help with the negative self talk, which is a problem I also have that I'm working with my therapist on, but I can help with the "small progress, big problem" view I think.

I'm all kinds of hosed up, and I see my various problems as forming a mutually reinforcing network. My sleep apnea aggravates my anxiety and depression, the lack of energy due to the apnea and the depression makes it harder to eat well, my poor diet makes me overweight which further drains my energy and aggravates my sleep apnea, and on and on in a dozen linked cycles. In the case of having a messy house, it stressed me out and played on my anxiety, plus it meant lost time and energy looking for things that got lost in the mess.

But here's the thing: all of my problems reinforcing each other means that any progress I make in one area means that one problem can't reinforce the others as well, and weakens their grasp on me. Instead of focusing on how my messy house stresses and exhausts me, I focus on how cleaning it will reduce my stress and free up energy for other things. Every little victory in any area opens up space to live a little better and to fight the other issues. Basically the anarchist theory of building power, but instead of fighting a network of hierarchies it's a network of personal problems.

It won't be a slow and steady progress. I tend to go in bursts of activity, winning fights against the Problem Network when I can manage it, and using the breathing room I've won for myself to recover when I don't have the energy for it.

e: you can expand on this with friendships and relationships too. My girlfriend also has her share of issues, and so we will try to help each other on projects we have emotional trouble with, or at times when we're running out of steam. Suddenly the net you've been struggling to get out of has to reckon with an outsider with none of the baggage weighing you down, and when that's done you'll have an arm free to help them with theirs in turn.

Goon Danton has issued a correction as of 00:42 on Jun 29, 2019

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what the difference is between missing someone and missing the way they made you feel. There have been 107 billion people in the history of humanity, all of them, in theory, unique. Can there really be 107 billion different ways that someone makes you feel? Is that degree of nuance neurologically possible?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Goon Danton posted:

I had a complete weeping breakdown because I tried to clear up some clutter in the basement last weekend. Cleaning is fuckin hard man

Fortunately I'm not really bothered by cleaning, it's the idea of vacuuming my car in public where people can see me doing that. I don't really know why the idea of that makes me anxious me I'm not bothered by being in public otherwise.

There are a bunch of things that make me freak out for no apparent reason so this is another one for the pile I guess.

Actually, if I had to guess it's probably because I'm vacuuming the car in order to sell it and pretty much anything that has to do with receiving money gives me pretty bad anxiety because why not.

turn off the TV has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Jun 29, 2019

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
if i have one major complaint related to plugging into all this politics poo poo, my focus feels like it's gone way down. like I'm constantly bouncing from one thing to the next. I've never had that problem, at all, before I got super into politics. and for some reason the fact that I can't concentrate anymore makes it feel even harder to unplug from it

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

VS, does your university have a writing center? Sometimes they have other subjects for tutorials as well. It was a resource they forgot to tell anyone about at my large public university, so it was always easy to sign up for econ tutoring or what have you. Sometimes there are hidden resources like this.

Iv been trying to take advantage of resources as much as I can. But sometimes it feels like it doesn't matter, and sometimes I just want to hurt myself because well

I failed another Diff Eq test, which means i can't actually pass the class anymore. I walked out of the test feeling confident then I did well and nope! I got a 60! And the absolute WORST part? i know it'll be because i missed something dumb, like I just didn't study enough. Like I just gets these thoughts that I should punish myself or something, that i need to just study more, but idk how to study more and i don't know how to force myself to just do 1000 problems. On top of that I got really high a few nights ago, and the next day I actually felt really good, and for the first time didn't feel like someone was holding a gun to the back of my head. So i'm going to try adn get a green card, my parents are skeptical, but it felt so incredible to night feel like poo poo all day.

Im sorry i use this as my rant/vent space. things are just not going well, and i feel like everything is my fault and i don't deserve to be happy. have a pic of our new cats (which are one good new thing at least)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
self loathing goons: believe me when I say, in my vast infinite capacity for hating myself, that cbt does work if you stick with it. It won't cure everything and it's really hard to get it off the launch pad, but if you keep trying and trying one day everything suddenly clicks into place and things get better :unsmith: ymmv as always but I do recommend it

that being said I have the opposite problem. I have bipolar 2 so a) when I am in a mood to clean I have to CLEAN ALL THE THINGS FOR HOURS which isn't healthy and b) if I do start cleaning poo poo up normally I have to watch for the switch to flip or I am not going to sleep that night. It leaves me paranoid to clean things up and not having the slightest idea how to do it in small chunks so poo poo just kind of backs up because I have no idea what to do with it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Venom Snake posted:

Iv been trying to take advantage of resources as much as I can. But sometimes it feels like it doesn't matter, and sometimes I just want to hurt myself because well

I failed another Diff Eq test, which means i can't actually pass the class anymore. I walked out of the test feeling confident then I did well and nope! I got a 60! And the absolute WORST part? i know it'll be because i missed something dumb, like I just didn't study enough. Like I just gets these thoughts that I should punish myself or something, that i need to just study more, but idk how to study more and i don't know how to force myself to just do 1000 problems. On top of that I got really high a few nights ago, and the next day I actually felt really good, and for the first time didn't feel like someone was holding a gun to the back of my head. So i'm going to try adn get a green card, my parents are skeptical, but it felt so incredible to night feel like poo poo all day.

Im sorry i use this as my rant/vent space. things are just not going well, and i feel like everything is my fault and i don't deserve to be happy. have a pic of our new cats (which are one good new thing at least)

Its cool, struggling in school sucks and it always helps to have somewhere to vent

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

Engineering school

Dawg I did MechE and it was loving hard as balls and stressful and I felt like complete poo poo for four and a half years. I was such a blasted husk afterwards I had to relearn how to have fun, because I had beaten it out of myself. Very many weeks the only thing I looked forward to was going to sleep bc maybe my dreams would be fun. Otherwise it was just homework all the time.
I really wish I could give you more specific academic advice. I managed to get pretty good grades on my own but even so I was never "okay". I'm trying to say that it's a specific kind of misery and I've been there, so you're not alone.

---

Actually a buddy of mine was plenty smart but struggled with grades because of test anxiety. Do you have like a student counseling center that could help with that? Or just regular counselors idk.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

redsniper posted:

Dawg I did MechE and it was loving hard as balls and stressful and I felt like complete poo poo for four and a half years. I was such a blasted husk afterwards I had to relearn how to have fun, because I had beaten it out of myself. Very many weeks the only thing I looked forward to was going to sleep bc maybe my dreams would be fun. Otherwise it was just homework all the time.
I really wish I could give you more specific academic advice. I managed to get pretty good grades on my own but even so I was never "okay". I'm trying to say that it's a specific kind of misery and I've been there, so you're not alone.

---

Actually a buddy of mine was plenty smart but struggled with grades because of test anxiety. Do you have like a student counseling center that could help with that? Or just regular counselors idk.

I'm hopefully going to setup a meeting with a therapist on monday. I get seen once a month by a head doc for pills but the anti-anxiety pills they gave me don't seem to help much anymore

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Venom Snake posted:

I'm hopefully going to setup a meeting with a therapist on monday. I get seen once a month by a head doc for pills but the anti-anxiety pills they gave me don't seem to help much anymore

there's only so much pills can past a certain point, you can fix biological issues (like bipolar/schizophrenia) or mitigate crippling symptoms but ultimately you do need a therapist of some sort in your life to discover/attack what's causing the misery in the first place (or at least come up with a healthy coping strategy)

good luck to you, ur doin it right imo

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We all wear masks. But which one is real? The one that hides your face? Or the one that is your face?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Believing in your friends and embracing that belief by forgiving failure. These feelings have vanished from our hearts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

there's only so much pills can past a certain point, you can fix biological issues (like bipolar/schizophrenia) or mitigate crippling symptoms but ultimately you do need a therapist of some sort in your life to discover/attack what's causing the misery in the first place (or at least come up with a healthy coping strategy)

good luck to you, ur doin it right imo
And vice-versa, if you need meds you need meds. No amount of therapeutic work will get around that.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Venom Snake posted:

Those are great cats and I'm glad you have them to play with. The MMJ card sounds like a good idea as well, as long as you don't try to use it to displace all of your feelings. Just use it to take the edge off and it will be a great help. I hope this doesn't sound condescending--i'm speaking from my own experience here, that's all.

I'm sorry to hear about the test. Engineering sounds incredibly difficult. It sounds like you did better on this test than the last one, which is something.

Don't worry about venting in here, :justpost:
We all have wretched sadbrains and venting can be very helpful. Also, you deserve to be happy and you WILL. It will take time and probably some experimentation with the weed/therapy/meds but it is going to happen and you're gonna be amazed at how happy you can be.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Hello friends! If you're taking an SSRI/SNRI and your dick don't work no goods ask your doc to give you a script for Wellbutrin. Fixes it riiiight up.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

rear end posted:

Hello friends! If you're taking an SSRI/SNRI and your dick don't work no goods ask your doc to give you a script for Wellbutrin. Fixes it riiiight up.

:heysexy:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
What’s a good dose for wellbutrin in combination with an SNRI? My doctor said she could bump me up to 300mg in a week or two (already on 150mg effexor, 150mg of wellbutrin) but I was under the impression that as an adjunct it shouldn’t be too high of a dose since it can exacerbate anxiety. I know I should go with what the doc says but I’m interested in hearing a consensus.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

I'm on 150mg extended release wellbutrin specifically for anxiety (but also for all the other things it does) in addition to a mild ssri

not dick stuff tho cuz dick stuff is only improved by the Lexapro :heysexy:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

rear end posted:

What’s a good dose for wellbutrin in combination with an SNRI? My doctor said she could bump me up to 300mg in a week or two (already on 150mg effexor, 150mg of wellbutrin) but I was under the impression that as an adjunct it shouldn’t be too high of a dose since it can exacerbate anxiety. I know I should go with what the doc says but I’m interested in hearing a consensus.

Only doctors should be answering dosage questions imo. It depends on weight, age, severity, comorbitities, reaction to other drugs, your reaction to this drug, etc.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

i mean yeah, what ^^ said. just chiming in to talk about my dong tbqfh

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Flavius Aetass posted:

Only doctors should be answering dosage questions imo. It depends on weight, age, severity, comorbitities, reaction to other drugs, your reaction to this drug, etc.

I already said that! I’m only asking out of pure curiosity.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

juche avocado posted:

dick stuff is only improved by the Lexapro :heysexy:

You sure about that?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
CSpam Mental Health & Depression Thread: dick stuff

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol my first paycheck for my new job isn’t consistent with my contract, and they didn’t record my hours right despite telling me my leave for a doctors appointment was approved. awesome, it’s both $270 less than my contract stipulates (gross) AND I worked three days in the first pay period of the month that just isn’t being accounted for anywhere, which makes it like another couple hundred short

that’s a lot of money to me and I don’t really want to go bring this up with the powers that be but I won’t let myself get screwed too

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

gently caress em up Frog Act, if they get away with it now they'll keep doing it

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Goon Danton posted:

gently caress em up Frog Act, if they get away with it now they'll keep doing it

yeah, at the very least ask some questions

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frog Act posted:

lol my first paycheck for my new job isn’t consistent with my contract, and they didn’t record my hours right despite telling me my leave for a doctors appointment was approved. awesome, it’s both $270 less than my contract stipulates (gross) AND I worked three days in the first pay period of the month that just isn’t being accounted for anywhere, which makes it like another couple hundred short

that’s a lot of money to me and I don’t really want to go bring this up with the powers that be but I won’t let myself get screwed too

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

redsniper posted:

You sure about that?

I've come to learn to turn the lemons of the side-effect(s) I do experience into cumshit-flavored lemonade, if you, uh, will

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Venom Snake posted:

This post made me gold star this thread so I will read it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Frog Act posted:

if anyone has any really good sci fi recs for the terminally sad throw them st me itt

it's not sci fi but based on your other posts about being a historian and studying marxism, i thought you might find some of this interesting: http://www.sovlit.net