Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Oh man I get real hard at people casting brainstorm and force boy howdy.

Brainstorms put me at half-mast, brainstorm in response to Thoughtseize/Cabal Therapy put me at full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
No one is showing up to SCG with decks that wreck Phoenix since those decks get dunked on hard by the bridgevine deck, right?

MikeCrotch posted:

Holy poo poo Pro Points has got a sponsor now and Sam Black sounds like he's being made to do the ad read at gunpoint

Weren’t they originally sponsored by CFB, but CFB pulled their sponsorship?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dehtraen posted:

No one is showing up to SCG with decks that wreck Phoenix since those decks get dunked on hard by the bridgevine deck, right?

People are playing BGx to beat the decks that beat Hogaak but from what I'm seeing here it doesn't look like it's going great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

Infect is a good example of one of the decks that theoretically should beat Hogaak but then gets dunked on by Phoenix

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jeoh posted:

One Legacy event (in Mengucci's home turf, of course), one Modern event. At least there's a Standard event in Europe again.

Why is it a month of limited gps and then a bunch of standard gps? Wouldn't it make more sense to do a mixture of the two over the whole period? Also wtf one modern gp?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Bonus posted:

I think it has, prior to Modern Horizons. It was like the 3rd or 4th most played deck, with Humans, Tron and UW control ahead of it I think. I think its numbers are so high right now because everyone is gunning for Hogaak, and it has good tools to battle the deck. However, after something from Hogaak gets banned, I think we'll see if the meta can adapt again.

Yeah the meta adjusted to Phoenix, but I'm not sure if it could again through Aria of Flame. That's definitely a huge addition to the deck that makes it much harder to stop.

Bonus posted:

My bet would be on banning Hogaak and Altar together. The format has shown that it can adapt to Phoenix pretty well, as it was dwindling in numbers up until Modern Horizons.

I really don't think you need to ban Hogaak if you ban Altar. Hogaak Bridgevine would be a competitive deck but not broken.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

There are, in reality, basically no decks that wreck Phoenix. Jund/Grixis Urza should beat it in theory but y'know that's not going so great.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Phoenix is a graveyard value deck that can’t actually beaten by attacking the graveyard

That style of deck can be fairly strong

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

There are, in reality, basically no decks that wreck Phoenix. Jund/Grixis Urza should beat it in theory but y'know that's not going so great.
I'm a big fan of Eldrazi Tron in this meta (and in general). Chalice does a number on them and Hogaak, it has the wishboard package and endgame and can clog up the ground against aggressive decks.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
It's not even a graveyard value deck honestly. Rule of Law/Thalia/Chalice are the ways to beat Phoenix, not graveyard hate.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Bonus posted:

I'm a big fan of Eldrazi Tron in this meta (and in general). Chalice does a number on them and Hogaak, it has the wishboard package and endgame and can clog up the ground against aggressive decks.

I think the Grixis Urza deck does a fairly similar thing but is better. I'm probably just saying this because I love thopter sword.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/channelfireball/status/1145405417306152960?s=21

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Oh my God. Why would you ever make. 3d pie chart. Wizards please ban.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
3D pie charts are the mismatched white border lands of data visualization

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

whydirt posted:

3D pie charts are the mismatched white border lands of data visualization

Agreed, they're perfect.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Honestly the pie chart would be OK if they just lumped all of the unlabeled slices together as "other". Also I hope they publish lists for all of these weird one-of decks.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Lmao at calling it monored prowess instead of monored phoenix

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ Straight up. Making me wanna try Abbott of Keral Keep in place of Phoenix.

What's the black-bordered 5th Edition equivalent of data visualisation?

v v v SCG called Monored Phoenix "Burn" and I was frankly disappointed to see Phoenix because I don't want to spend $80 a set of Phoenix on the low end.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 30, 2019

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

That's actually not unreasonable, it wins a lot of it's games by prowess beat down. Phoenixes just align with that really well.

It's weird though since literally no one else calls it that however!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Sampatrick posted:

U/W is mega favored, chalice decks are too

Sampatrick posted:

A lot of the prowess decks aren’t running Phoenix though. There is mono red Phoenix which is good, but also a prowess tribal deck that has been running around too that seems very good

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jeoh posted:

One Legacy event (in Mengucci's home turf, of course), one Modern event. At least there's a Standard event in Europe again.

London was pretty dismal, losing both my games to format bullshit, but Lyon might be worth a trip, I went a few years ago and it's a great city. Maybe Montreal to make more of a vacation of it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

This mardu death's shadow deck looks really cool, the way you can go off with rangers, arcanists and unearths gives it a great late game and it's in colors with good interaction.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Man, at least with Eldrazi winter we got to see lots of different takes on Eldazi decks instead of 1/3 of the field on the same list.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sampatrick posted:

Why is it a month of limited gps and then a bunch of standard gps? Wouldn't it make more sense to do a mixture of the two over the whole period? Also wtf one modern gp?

Just do a bunch of limited after a set comes out

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
If you don't want Daniel Wong to win this GP you're wrong

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Went 6-3 in the Omniscience draft with this, and it was a lot of fun! Turns out having 4x Tithebearer Giant is pretty good in this format. I'd have preferred to play without a couple of the spells, but I had very little room for adjustment due to the nature of this draft.

Some games I had explosive turns: one example is having one of the birds out, drawing into a second, playing enough noncreatures and also Samut's Sprint on the new bird. I wasn't even done playing spells when my opp. conceded, and the birds each had 12 power already. Another game was pretty funny, because they played a God-Pharoah's Statue on T1, which was annoying, but a turn or two later I got to play a Topple on it. They then played a second statue, but then I was able to draw into another Topple and take over the game from there.

The only games I dropped were 1) opp. dropped Narset on T1, did a lot of stuff, and then went off on T2 to kill me, 2) slow start that wasn't helped by opp. playing decent stuff and 'walkers before playing out Oketra and sealing the deal, and 3) also a slow start, but stabilized before having opp. play Bolas on top of their large field of creatures.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

80s James Hetfield posted:

If you don't want Daniel Wong to win this GP you're wrong

perhaps the first correct thing you've said ITT

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Knowing nothing about modern explain like I am five why Tormod's Crypt doesn't shut the shenanigans down

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Knowing nothing about modern explain like I am five why Tormod's Crypt doesn't shut the shenanigans down

The deck rebuilds super quick from zero, for starters.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Wiping a graveyard once usually isn't enough. Keep in mind there's an unmoored ego type effect that lets you choose anything in the graveyard at instant speed and costs no mana and that doesn't 100% beat the deck, though it does slow it down.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

You need a threat to clock them on top of wiping the graveyard because hogaak refills it very quickly. Also Phoenix has been built to the point where on Phoenix and finale care about the graveyard anymore and aria is incredibly good at sidestepping it.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
https://clips.twitch.tv/MagnificentAnnoyingTrollCclamChamp

CFB Trolling everyone on coverage with the card back there... or inadvertently big time spoiling.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dehtraen posted:

CFB Trolling everyone on coverage with the card back there... or inadvertently big time spoiling.

i can't imagine they'd alter the back and not take the opportunity to remove "deckmasters", so i'm calling fake

e: looks identical to this deviantart mockup https://www.deviantart.com/lordnyriox/art/Magic-the-Gathering-Six-Color-Card-Back-640666595 - note that deckmaster in that mockup has a copyright symbol when the real one doesn't and doesn't have that darker blue smudge around the "t"; now rewatch that video

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 1, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dehtraen posted:

I know "never say never" with Magic but they will never change the card back. It would gently caress up kitchen table players who don't bother with sleeves which is the majority of their playerbase.

I think there were some discussions of including Purple a new sixth color in Planar Chaos that would be diametrically opposed to Green (with "City" being its basic land) complete with a new card back, but they ultimately scrapped the idea. I wonder if someone at CFB somehow got their hands on a mock-up of that back.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Dear Christ, my brain is full of gently caress. :psyboom:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
If you GIS "Magic card back" and filter it for large photos, that's the first result. Whoever put the Powerpoint together wasn't paying attention.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

C-Euro posted:

I know "never say never" with Magic but they will never change the card back. It would gently caress up kitchen table players who don't bother with sleeves which is the majority of their playerbase.

I think there were some discussions of including Purple a new sixth color in Planar Chaos that would be diametrically opposed to Green (with "City" being its basic land) complete with a new card back, but they ultimately scrapped the idea. I wonder if someone at CFB somehow got their hands on a mock-up of that back.

I refuse to believe that the active player base is dominated by the kitchen table players, playing at home without sleeves. While that is probably true for people who have touched a magic card or have played a game, changing the card back isn't throwing off more than half of the active community. Its just not.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 1, 2019

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Details on the new mastery system and season pass

https://forums.mtgarena.com/forums/threads/57183

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

4 of my friends made top 8 of the legacy classic today. All 4 made it to the semifinals.

I was 10 minutes too late to sign up because I got stuck on the wrong side of the river because Pittsburgh loves to close roads and completely isolate one part of the city from the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

watching Conley Woods board into a 60 card deck in MH limited against a triple-cancrix WUBRG snow mill deck

is this what joy feels like