Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

internet celebrity posted:

Working on a level and I'm racking my brain here. What can hurt Yoshi from the bottom that doesn't move? I know a fire bar or burner can do it but I need a constant source of damage from the bottom, like a spike or mucher would do to Mario.

would a stationary sawblade not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

I've created a complex structure of interwoven paths, I'm down to making the last challenge for the player, and I run headlong into the engine breaking on me.

So what I'm doing is locking stars behind thwomps, they're the only solid structure that blocks the stars and is vulnerable to invincibility. So far so good. The problem is that the game despawns thwomps when you're two screens away, but not the stars. So when you enter an area, the star is trapped. When you double back through it like I've designed my stage for, the star can be anywhere.

I guess I'm rebuilding this around the thwomps covering question blocks that contain the stars, but that reduces the urgency...

Try having the penultimate challenge end in a door that takes you straight to the room with the thwomps and loads everything at once.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Plebian Parasite posted:

would a stationary sawblade not work?

pretty sure yoshi bounces off of most hazards other than lava which is stage-dependent and also instant death, which might not be what they need

e: you could also try two sets of burners set up parallel to the ground which are on opposite cycles so one of them is always firing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

yoshi's feet bounce off of sawblades yeah, i was stuck on a level earlier today until i experimented and found that out

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sharizard posted:

On my end, I made an autoscrolling underwater course full of dumb chain chomps.

Wet Chomps
7S9-0CQ-S6G

I had to play this one because I've got a level that uses the exact same concept called Soggy Doggies. Yours is really good.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

What kind of things do you folks like to use for hidden rewards? I feel like any course played in isolation isn't going to benefit from 1-ups or coins (although they are satisfying to grab). I feel like there should be an incentive to take extra challenge paths or find secrets, but on the flip side I feel like typically power ups will have too much influence on the play of a stage to use as an optional side thing.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
7L4-5V6-SGG

My first dumb uploaded level. It’s a short little shmup! Mostly good for catharsis.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My second level ever.

W23-p59-s3g

3 keys to be collected in 3 different simple puzzles, with some platforming in between.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

100 degrees Calcium posted:

What kind of things do you folks like to use for hidden rewards? I feel like any course played in isolation isn't going to benefit from 1-ups or coins (although they are satisfying to grab). I feel like there should be an incentive to take extra challenge paths or find secrets, but on the flip side I feel like typically power ups will have too much influence on the play of a stage to use as an optional side thing.

1-ups are definitely good if your stage comes up in endless

big coins are also good as they make a satisfying noise when collected

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

I found a secret yoshi killing machine hidden in a level and it made me really happy.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

fart noises

President Ark
May 16, 2010

oh, also:

https://twitter.com/yohosiefgc/status/1145411711530196993

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there a way to immobilise a koopa car? I can't spawn an empty one, and the enemy tends to drive around and crash. Locking one between two springs is noisy.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Bullet Heck 2019
T5M-VXD-VBG

Ride bullet bills to win game. Think of it as a an early level 8 level in a Mario game.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

President Ark posted:

1-ups are definitely good if your stage comes up in endless

big coins are also good as they make a satisfying noise when collected

I think I like the 50 coin best for this because gets you that sweet sound, puts someone halfway to a 1-up and encourages them to collect the single coins in your level.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

I like to use a lot of high end power ups in mine, stuff like Cape Feathers, Propeller Hats, Yoshi’s etc.

I kind wish there was a way to track people’s paths because I usually do put a few hard to find secrets in my levels but can never tell if anyone bothers.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Try having the penultimate challenge end in a door that takes you straight to the room with the thwomps and loads everything at once.

I appreciate the thought, but the level concept was racing to the end with a star and wanted a course that weaved its inbound track with its outbound.

Anyway, it's done now:

Spooky Star (if I wasn't doing an alliteration thing and I wasn't certain that no one would get the joke, I'd call this stage "The Fireflower House")
WVH-M68-9NG

I timed the segments so that they're forgiving to a minor error or two, but if you go the wrong way then you're dead.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Minor gripe: I have so much trouble jumping off of trees in 2D Land style in the story mode levels.

Like it's so simple and they don't ask you to do anything too hard with it. I don't know why I gently caress it up so badly. It's like all rules of physics and how Mario handles goes out the window for this one jump. It reminds me of the 2D sections of Sonic Lost World.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Is there a way to delete comments? I know the first game let you.

Lowen SoDium posted:

My second level ever.

W23-p59-s3g

3 keys to be collected in 3 different simple puzzles, with some platforming in between.

Good level. I see you anticipated my attempt to cheese it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey, J-Spot, your learn to play Mario level just showed up in my multiplayer game. I was voting for Super Expert. :smith:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 30, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Had time for some Goon Stages

Icedude - Bowserrail
Might need to be workshopped more. As is it's absurdly easy and not super threatening. First part was me just jumpin up and down in place for a minute waiting to see if anything would happen. Second phase I skipped by bouncing off Bowser Jr's head and just taking the key and leaving and Third I just waited for bowser to walk away and got the switch. Might suggest more room too as most of it was just a giant bowser in my face roaring and I couldn't move until his AI finally told him to walk away.

Mooseontheloose - Super Happy Fun Slide
Wow.

Hansolio - Mt. Don't
Odd stage. The jumps feel kinda wonky and the fish surprised me. Asked myself what I was getting myself into then I beat the stage 10 seconds later. Also not sure how to do the spinjump part so just soaked a hit with a shellmet and ran over the munchers.

Salastine - Covetous Cliffs
Really fun traditional level where I got hung up trying to get coins and then got spooked into rushing to the end when the hurry up jingle hit :v:
No real complaints with this one, maybe make the timer slightly bigger? As for difficulty, I personally found it easy but some people absolutely cannot handle monty moles so I wouldn't sweat it if you're after kills

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've finally made an early stage Mario level - enjoy!

0-4

99F-LKK-FDG

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

I appreciate the thought, but the level concept was racing to the end with a star and wanted a course that weaved its inbound track with its outbound.

Anyway, it's done now:

Spooky Star (if I wasn't doing an alliteration thing and I wasn't certain that no one would get the joke, I'd call this stage "The Fireflower House")
WVH-M68-9NG

I timed the segments so that they're forgiving to a minor error or two, but if you go the wrong way then you're dead.

One of the better uses of the dark stages I've seen. Took me a few tries to figure out what exactly I need to do and then a few more to actually execute on it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

This is my first Mario Maker experience, and I’m sort of stumped if there’s a way to trigger and explosion in SMB1 to blow up bricks. Anyway I can trigger this with a sliding Koopa shell? I tried putting babombs in a brick, but that that just makes it come out when a shell hits it.

Random Stranger posted:

This stage desperately needed a checkpoint. The shoes hopping is really funky on stair steps and throwing a dozen of them in on steps was kind of annoying, too. Layout was excellent, though.

Really? Hmm well maybe. I thought it was short enough to be able to endure the challenge of making it through.

I thought the boots part would be too chaotic, and even though it is, I never had that many playthroughs where I died there. It usually would be a little much for my taste though.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Why not, I got a few to share

Icy Spiny - 0WG-76P-VMG

Nothing difficult, a standard 1-1 themed around spinies. Baby's first level.

Climb The Sky - 1CS-LM5-59G

Vertical stage based around trampolines, and getting through obstacles with them. Did my best to emphasize that you didn't have to bring a trampoline through the stage since I know that's a common and overdone mario maker feature.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Good Sphere posted:

This is my first Mario Maker experience, and I’m sort of stumped if there’s a way to trigger and explosion in SMB1 to blow up bricks. Anyway I can trigger this with a sliding Koopa shell? I tried putting babombs in a brick, but that that just makes it come out when a shell hits it.

Put a bob-omb in a spot where it won't move (e.g surrounded on all sides by blocks). If you want the explosion to be automatic, use a block on a track to crush it. If you want Mario to trigger it, put a ? block beneath the Bob-omb. I think if you put a muncher into the ? block the explosion will be instant.

There's more ways to do it but those are thre easiest I'm aware of

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Good Sphere posted:

bomb-ombs go into explode mode when hit by fire, you could try blocking one of those flame spewers with a brick that can only be hit by sliding the koopa shell into the block

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kirios posted:

I've finally made an early stage Mario level - enjoy!

0-4

99F-LKK-FDG

Pretty easy, but since you called it 0-4 I guess you were expecting that. You've got a solid, classic Mario design here that worked well.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Random Stranger posted:

Anyway, it's done now:

WVH-M68-9NG

Liked it, was a little frustrated at first as I had some difficulty finding where I was supposed to start the gauntlet in the first place, but it was nice and fast paced after that. Segments seemed timed appropriately.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

J-Spot posted:

Is there a way to delete comments? I know the first game let you.

Good level. I see you anticipated my attempt to cheese it.

Thanks. I almost left the cheese solution in.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My son made this level.
WLY QFH V9G
Clean out your desk little Timmy, you're FIRED! :smugdon:
Let's talk about the level. Lets start by what you did good with: You limited yourself mostly to 2 elements (springs and spiksqueaks) This helps keep your course from feeling cluttered. Placing the springs high enough that the charvargh..char.. WORMS cant reach you while you figure it out is a good choice. Next up, the things that aren't entirely your fault: The springs and the starting phiranna plants. While generally things that hit you in the spawn area are bad, the issue is more the time it takes for them to reach you. If they were held back by an on/off block that was changed by a koopa shell (that you could see the situation coming) that would be better. The springs are weird, their platform just needs to be a little wider. These are not your fault, as enemy stacking and those springs would work perfectly in every other style, and that's just 3dworld inconsistency with the other styles. Lets talk about bad things. #1 the Charvarrghs, these are bad because the player has a hard time telling if they are going to go left/fight or foreground/background, and so are hard to deal with when you need to keep Hitting Mices. Also, they don't fit with the water. (they could fit in the jungle theme, if say, the water rose and there were more firey things about, but that is a specific level design choice.) The dead ends would not be a problem in a more exploration focused level, but given this is a straight platforming level, they should either give a reward for going there, or not exist at all. This is called Negative Possibility Space. Having to ride the springs as your way up is fine, it just needed a coin or something on screen so the player moves the camera up and sees "Oh there's a doorbox up there." I got the keydoor ending, I was sad. Also, now that I think about it, finishing with the supersqueak was a great choice. A couple other game design videos to watch: Pacing and The Design Lesson (Ceave)
Edit: Also, if you are going to make a level based on jumping on enemies, skipsqueaks are an excellent choice! They stand still! Good work there!

Tnega fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 30, 2019

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Tnega posted:

Hello Maker, or: It’s All Downhill From Here WSB-WHX-CYG
I appreciate the hidden block reward for my stupidity.
Bwa ha ha ha ha

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A stupid question, I know, but does anything else bring an endless challenge mode run to an end other than running out of lives? I’m at 80 in an easy mode run with 99 lives and I feel like it’ll be truly be endless. Does the difficulty ever increase?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Going through the spreadsheet now.

PotU: Air Attack

I'm going to be frank. This level feels like an absolutely disjointed mess. I got to the part with a hammer bro and then stopped. It feels like several levels and obstacles are placed without too much thought put into coherency. Also there's not enough room for the player to breathe overall. The starting jump requiring a running start also doesn't start the level off on a good footing. Try sticking to fewer enemies and obstacles, and have the level revolve around those instead. It can help both you and the player feel more focused.

Bongo Bill: Gruesome Grave

Interesting little narrative there. I was amused at how many people didn't think to go in front of the spiny, judging by the level comments.

J-Spot: Hurry up and wait!

I liked the juxtaposition between having to hurry or wait. Or alternatively, go into speedrun mode and bypass most of the waiting. :v: Good stuff.

Fawf: Two Goombas

Okay, this gave me a nice laugh.

ThisIsACoolGuy: Pipe Up

404, level not found.

spacebump: easy, short, & fun

A nice easy romp, though the enemy placement at the beginning was a bit questionable for something of that difficulty.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

OneMoreTime posted:

Why not, I got a few to share

Icy Spiny - 0WG-76P-VMG

Nothing difficult, a standard 1-1 themed around spinies. Baby's first level.

Climb The Sky - 1CS-LM5-59G

Vertical stage based around trampolines, and getting through obstacles with them. Did my best to emphasize that you didn't have to bring a trampoline through the stage since I know that's a common and overdone mario maker feature.

I played these. The first one was cool, felt like a regular Mario level apart from the large amount of spinies. The second was cool too but it took me over 6 minutes to get through it so it seems kinda long. Most of that time was spent waiting for flame jets to stop. Also I never felt like I had to bring a spring with me aside from the spring that drops out of a pipe, I knew I had to use that to continue. Good work tho!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't know how to edit the spreadsheet. Pipe Up got murdered by misclick and I had to reupload it later (There's a version on the sheet that's just Re-Up) :smith:

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Levels at the bottom of pages need the most attention!

Nice short level but that last jump is brutal. I kept looking for a way around it. Maybe give the player some indication that they're supposed to go for it. Also, lots of turtles out of the pipes; slowing them down would have been nice.

Oh no! It's not meant to be brutal or jumped! I should have added an arrow, but I was hoping the distance between the pipes would have hinted at trying going down.
I guess extremely difficult jumps are so common, that suicide jumps are the first instinct than checking the pipe.

I didn't know the speed could be changed. Thanks for the feedback!

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
Made a more traditional Mario stage this time around. Have to stay big until the end.

Mario in the sky
P3C-L8R-C9G

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Random Stranger posted:

This level is super busy. It's okay to let the player breathe, especially when you're already applying pressure with the rising lava.

I think you're totally right, so I took some of the ideas from that and made something hopefully a little more focused. I call it Impeccable Work Ethic: 9K1-JD7-L8G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Maybe the spreadsheet could allow for suggestions, so people can let others know if a level has been deleted or updated.

Padomyme posted:

Made a more traditional Mario stage this time around. Have to stay big until the end.

Mario in the sky
P3C-L8R-C9G

The high path in one case seems to have questionable timing with the Paratroopas. And the end got a bit enemy spammy there.