Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guy posted in an entomology group saying that his daughter was bitten by a spider (a house spider species known to be docile and not medically significant). People try to explain that it probably wasn't actually a spider bite, dude gets indignant, blah blah standard uninteresting Facebook group drama.

Anyway then suddenly this other guy comes in to post this response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

SwitchbladeKult posted:

We really need a :capitalism: emoji that is "That's Conservatism" with Hitler instead of Scrooge.

Edit: if someone makes it and people like it I'll buy it next week when I get paid

And I’ll pay you in a ton of exposure. Feel free to put this on your resume and LinkedIn.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mak0rz posted:

Guy posted in an entomology group saying that his daughter was bitten by a spider (a house spider species known to be docile and not medically significant). People try to explain that it probably wasn't actually a spider bite, dude gets indignant, blah blah standard uninteresting Facebook group drama.

Anyway then suddenly this other guy comes in to post this response

I see this with snakes in wildlife ID groups too. Someone will kill a garter snake or bull snake then post a photo asking if it was venomous and everyone is like "no, and you're a dick for killing a harmless noodleboi" and the person will go the gently caress off about how all snakes should be extinct anyway because they have a phobia.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
See also: bees.

Bees are good buzzy bois whomstdve do a bonk and you should always treat them well.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TinTower posted:

Bees are good buzzy bois whomstdve do a bonk and you should always treat them well.

Actually kill all honey bees you see if you live in the Americas :colbert:

Leave the other kinds alone though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TinTower posted:

I find it amusing when a bee flies into my face and bounces off my nose. It's like "Wow, did a bee just punch me in the face? Nice try mate, but try the other end next time."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BioEnchanted posted:

I find it amusing when a bee flies into my face and bounces off my nose. It's like "Wow, did a bee just punch me in the face? Nice try mate, but try the other end next time."

You want him to punch you in the butt?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Mak0rz posted:

Actually kill all honey bees you see if you live in the Americas :colbert:

Leave the other kinds alone though.
Why on earth would you kill honeybees

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vib Rib posted:

Why on earth would you kill honeybees

Honey bees are an introduced species and are invasive in the Americas, especially in more temperate climates where they can overwinter and establish themselves. They're disease vectors and outcompete endemic pollinators.

I was mostly joking because killing a couple of bees out of a hive of several thousand will do nothing anyway, but please be aware that the benefits honey bees bring us are entirely commercial and 0% environmental.

In Africa and Eurasia the issue becomes less about "honey bees vs. native pollinators" and more about "domestic/feral honey bees vs. wild honey bees and other pollinators"

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Jun 30, 2019

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

I was mostly joking because killing a couple of bees out of a hive of several thousand will do nothing anyway, but please be aware that the benefits honey bees bring us are entirely commercial and 0% environmental.

Actually, bees are cute and that is their environmental benefit. :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gloomy Rube posted:

Actually, bees are cute

You're right, they are! That don't make feral/domestic honey bees any less of an ecological terror though.

For what it's worth, I don't kill any bees of any kind. They're just hard workers doing their thing who have no concept of complex environmental issues.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

TinTower posted:

God, gently caress. People who kill spiders, snakes, bees, bumblebees, hell, even wasps in inoffensive locations, for no good reason just piss me off.

Should just make them all protected species.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something tangentially related that annoys me is when people dismiss certain unusual phobias without trying to consider why they are a thing, like Coulrophobia is on the face value a silly fear as Clowns are mostly harmless, Ed Gein notwithstanding. However I can understand where the fear comes in even though I lack the fear myself - basic uncanny valley effect combined with the severe dissonance that comes with what can be perceived as forced or artificial jollity. They deliberately exaggerate their facial features with makeup designed to make their eyes and mouths seem brighter/bigger or more happy, so when they are not happy it has an odd effect on their appearance which can be disconcerting.

Similarly, Spiders have an upsetting nature to just how they move, either their legs are really long compared to the rest of them and have hair-like qualities, and those spiders move very slowly, creeping along with their legs bending in ways that no-one expects legs to move in, or they are relatively proportional but move really quickly, which messes with you because they are suddenly far away from where you just saw them, and even if you see them scuttle along, the silent nature of their rapid movement fucks with you because something that fast must surely make some noise? I don't have full-blown arachnophobia but I certainly feel gross/uncomfortable when one is nearby due to these effects in a way that other insects don't trigger.

Even if you don't share the phobia it only takes a little thought to understand why others would.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sir your go cart time has expired would you like to recharge your powertoken (TM)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

sir your go cart time has expired would you like to recharge your powertoken (TM)

But Mooooooommmmmm you said I could have one more lap!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BioEnchanted posted:

Similarly, Spiders have an upsetting nature to just how they move, either their legs are really long compared to the rest of them and have hair-like qualities, and those spiders move very slowly, creeping along with their legs bending in ways that no-one expects legs to move in, or they are relatively proportional but move really quickly, which messes with you because they are suddenly far away from where you just saw them, and even if you see them scuttle along, the silent nature of their rapid movement fucks with you because something that fast must surely make some noise? I don't have full-blown arachnophobia but I certainly feel gross/uncomfortable when one is nearby due to these effects in a way that other insects don't trigger.

I can appreciate why arachnophobia exists and that it does, but you are projecting here. There is nothing innately unnerving about a spider versus any other multilegged creepy crawley. It's all learned behavior.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I can appreciate why arachnophobia exists and that it does, but you are projecting here. There is nothing innately unnerving about a spider versus any other multilegged creepy crawley. It's all learned behavior.

That's fair. I guess If I were to try to explain why I feel uncomfortable around them, that would be the logic I'd find in it though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Also coulrophobia isn't a real Greek word, since the Greek word for clown is not coulros, but clun (from the English, clown).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I mean, they do drop from the ceiling and dangle from a near-invisible cord at face-level, that's one thing they have going for them other creatures don't.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Brawnfire posted:

I mean, they do drop from the ceiling and dangle from a near-invisible cord at face-level, that's one thing they have going for them other creatures don't.

The larvae of hundreds of different insect species that can do that, though I'll give you that you typically won't see them doing it inside your home.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

SwitchbladeKult posted:

We really need a :capitalism: emoji that is "That's Conservatism" with Hitler instead of Scrooge.

Edit: if someone makes it and people like it I'll buy it next week when I get paid

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Brawnfire posted:

The gently caress kind of clowns do they have where you live?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:krad:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brawnfire posted:

A lot of them build structures on your real estate without a permit or paying any kind of rent or taxes. On the other hand they do capture bugs and such. In short, an arthropod of contrasts.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

The larvae of hundreds of different insect species that can do that, though I'll give you that you typically won't see them doing it inside your home.

The concept of a creature dropping in on you where you're nude and sometimes also wet adds to the fear, presumably.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I would buy this but I have not the money

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Nice. I'll buy it Thursday. Thank you!

Edit: gently caress it I'll just get it now but the file is too big. Max is 10 kb.

SwitchbladeKult has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Jun 30, 2019

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have pretty intense arachnophobia. It's completely irrational, I freak out flailing amd screaming when one is on me, and I can't seem to control it. My brain just malfunctions when I see one on me or near me.

I also don't kill spiders, I admire and respect them and think they deserve to live. I take photos of interesting spiders I encounter and call them "friends" when I post those photos online. I try to overcome my stupid monkey brain through learning and understanding and the best way to help others do the same is educate and lead by example. So when coworkers demand someone kill a spider that's in the store I tell them to wait so I can capture it in a cup and release it outside.

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

without paying any kind of rent or taxes.

Are you talling me that the change I find in the couch cushions isn't the spider's part of rent and utilities?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Nice. I'll buy it Thursday. Thank you!

Edit: gently caress it I'll just get it now but the file is too big. Max is 10 kb.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm not mad, I say as I record and post a video about how extremely not mad I am.

https://twitter.com/TheCrimsonArmy/status/1145433735627718656

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Picnic Princess posted:

So when coworkers demand someone kill a spider that's in the store I tell them to wait so I can capture it in a cup and release it outside.
Most of the time this is just a slower form of killing the spider as most of the ones you find inside are so adapted to living indoors(or originate in foreign climates/ecosystems) that they cant survive outside for long.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I relocate spiders to my greenhouse. Always tons of bugs in there so I assume it's like Golden Corral for spiders

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Piell posted:

I'm not mad, I say as I record and post a video about how extremely not mad I am.

https://twitter.com/TheCrimsonArmy/status/1145433735627718656

Of course he has a ponytail

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

grittyreboot posted:

Of course he has a ponytail

Anime avatar rule holds true

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Data Graham posted:

You want him to punch you in the butt?

BioE had their first sexual awakening to Bee Movie, don't kinkshame their bee fisting dreams

also can the tag for the hitler thing be :centrism: and not something weird I have no idea what code does what with all these weird tags

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Animated Nerd posted:

Are you talling me that the change I find in the couch cushions isn't the spider's part of rent and utilities?

I'm pretty sure they pay using the web.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Last time I got bitten by a spider I killed it, but I live in Australia and the bite had started to burn, so identifying it was kinda paramount.

Reading about attitudes towards spiders and snakes from foreigners is always a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

It's official! Please enjoy.

:centrism: