Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Its sports! sports metaphor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Electable means two things:
1. Popular with :decorum: junkies and centrists.
And
2. Someone Republicans will lie about considering voting for before pulling the Red lever regardless.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

He had a better passer rating in those playoffs than he did when he won with Indy, and that includes a game winning drive. This isn't a good analogy for you.

You are literally moving the goalposts on a football analogy of all things.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Oh Snapple! posted:

You are literally moving the goalposts

Y... yeah!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Oh Snapple! posted:

You are literally moving the goalposts on a football analogy of all things.

No, unless this is like when he used cowboys instead of broncos and you also mean something else?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

No, unless this is like when he used cowboys instead of broncos and you also mean something else?

The playoffs are not the super bowl. The analogy was fine and you weirdly chose to overcomplicate a matter that's been widely agreed on because ???.

In less stupid avenues of discussion,

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1145115870781423618

Boy what a loving shock that Liz's uptick of support was soft as hell.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Bernie has been seriously campaigning for four years. Thus far he has a ceiling of around 20% with total name recognition. The premise of creating a broad working class coalition to push through transformative change hasn't at all come to fruition; his polling among black voters is still dismal. But people still insist he is "electable."

So there probably is something to the idea that "electable" is a sophisticated way to say "candidate I agree with."

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

LinYutang posted:

Bernie has been seriously campaigning for four years. Thus far he has a ceiling of around 20% with total name recognition. The premise of creating a broad working class coalition to push through transformative change hasn't at all come to fruition; his polling among black voters is still dismal. But people still insist he is "electable."

So there probably is something to the idea that "electable" is a sophisticated way to say "candidate I agree with."

As always, either back it up or shut up.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

LinYutang posted:

Check out this 20% ceiling

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1143602746064613376

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LinYutang posted:

Bernie has been seriously campaigning for four years.
Bernie has been seriously campaigning since February 19, 2019

My favorite thing about Sanders is how anyone criticizing him either has to contort his words and the context or just straight-up lie, meanwhile Buttigieg is smirking his way through a well-prepared statement on the shooting in his town and Biden's "aw shucks"ing his way through some brutal takedowns

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Bernie has been seriously campaigning since February 19, 2019

Bernie was doing rallies to build his organization and brand immediately following the 2016 election to today.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Check out this 20% ceiling

28% isn't too far off, and is a pretty bad showing in a state he won by a complete landslide in 2016.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LinYutang posted:

Bernie was doing rallies to build his organization and brand immediately following the 2016 election to today.

Why is this bad

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why is this bad

It's not. Until you take it in the context of Bernie's 2016 campaign, in which he wasn't running a serious operation for most of it and was getting better results than four years of campaigning later.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

28% is only around 28% more than 20%. Not a performance to write home about.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Trump meeting with Kim Jong Un is a good thing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LinYutang posted:

28% isn't too far off, and is a pretty bad showing in a state he won by a complete landslide in 2016.

Lol an unironic "Bernie is ahead, this is bad news...for Bernie!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LinYutang posted:

By that measure Biden has been doing so since before February 2007. Or arguably earlier.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LinYutang posted:

It's not. Until you take it in the context of Bernie's 2016 campaign, in which he wasn't running a serious operation for most of it and was getting better results than four years of campaigning later.

Uh, you know there’s more candidates this time, right?

E: Like I understand that there is a relatively large number of Dems who refuse to get behind* Sanders for reasons that are hard to understand, and unrelated to policy or leadership, but to say that anybody’s polling in July is their “ceiling” isn’t really a supportable statement.

* They will if he gains a critical mass of support, like what happened with Never Trumpers.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 1, 2019

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Using a NH poll is disingenuous in regards to Sanders

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LinYutang posted:

What polling info shows that he’s doing dismally among black voters?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

NH is 95% white and 70% men and the average age is 63. I wonder why Bernie is popular there?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

NH is 95% white and 70% men and the average age is 63. I wonder why Bernie is popular there?

Tough to say - he does very well with POC voters, women, and young people, so...?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Of the time that United States of America has been governed according to this Constitution, Joe Biden has been running for President for ~13% of it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

oxsnard posted:

Using a NH poll is disingenuous in regards to Sanders

Yeah but so is every LinYutang post

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

LinYutang posted:

Bernie's appeal to people outside this thread is closely tied to the state of the economy. The real wage growth in the US was tepid till 2015. The benefits of this long expansion are finally reaching the poorer working classes now. Right now we have record low unemployment and rising wages. Inflation is low and the majority of Americans think the economy is good despite the Sanders/Warren talking points of the economy not working for ordinary Americans. People have ample job opportunities and consumer spending and sentiment is robust.

We've just started seeing danger signs in the manufacturing and investment areas which are related to trade tensions. If Trump doesn't mishandle the economy, he's going to be extremely hard to beat.

I mostly agree with you about Sanders ceiling being low but that will change if there's a recession.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Majorian posted:

Tough to say - he does very well with POC voters, women, and young people, so...?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Bernie's actual problem this cycle btw is more with older voters in general rather than race/gender, something like <30% of 65+ say they would even -consider- voting for him and he's at 7% with them in "who would you vote for". The average age of Dem primary voter in 2016 is something between 47-52.

if you expect huge surge of young voters he does win but that's a huge if

better GOtV

Typo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 30, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Typo posted:

Bernie's actual problem this cycle btw is more with older voters in general rather than race/gender, something like <30% of 65+ say they would even -consider- voting for him and he's at 7% with them. The average age of Dem primary voter in 2016 is something between 47-52.

if you expect huge surge of young voters he does win but that's a huge if

i think people are typically pretty honest about Bernie's chances being tied to youth mobilization?

With the frustrating part being that polling companies literally do not care about grabbing anyone who isn't a boomer or older so there's not any way to gauge effectiveness until actual voting happens.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Anarkii posted:

Bernie's appeal to people outside this thread is closely tied to the state of the economy. The real wage growth in the US was tepid till 2015. The benefits of this long expansion are finally reaching the poorer working classes now. Right now we have record low unemployment and rising wages. Inflation is low and the majority of Americans think the economy is good despite the Sanders/Warren talking points of the economy not working for ordinary Americans. People have ample job opportunities and consumer spending and sentiment is robust.

We've just started seeing danger signs in the manufacturing and investment areas which are related to trade tensions. If Trump doesn't mishandle the economy, he's going to be extremely hard to beat.

I mostly agree with you about Sanders ceiling being low but that will change if there's a recession.

Nah, this economic cycle has really not helped most people.

https://eand.co/americas-invisible-depression-edad5a77106f

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Oh Snapple! posted:

i think people are typically pretty honest about Bernie's chances being tied to youth mobilization?

You need to mobilize over and above 2016 and possibly 2008

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

over AND above?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What's your source?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Majorian posted:

What's your source?

Also are we doing that thing where latinx folks don't exist.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Punk da Bundo posted:

shut the gently caress up liberal , Tlaib is my rep and I voted for her . I vote for leftist candidates . I will stay home if Biden is the nominee . gently caress this “vote blue no matter who” cowardice .

Stupid loving lanyard .

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I haven't read or posted much in D&D in a bit. I saw that two mods I respect processed this probe, and I'm curious what specifically happened that needs to be avoided, especially since I feel like screaming the above anti-centrist sentiment most days when reading Twitter on the shitter.

Low content/quality & goon-on-goon anger?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Majorian posted:

What's your source?

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/democratic-presidential-candidates/polls/

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ah, I see - so you're using a poll where Biden soaks up a large amount of black voter support, under the assumption that he's going to keep black voters' support for the foreseeable future.

Fascinating stuff, as always, Typo.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Majorian posted:

Ah, I see - so you're using a poll where Biden soaks up a large amount of black voter support, under the assumption that he's going to keep black voters' support for the foreseeable future.

Fascinating stuff, as always, Typo.

:shrug:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What, exactly, do you think this demonstrates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Majorian posted:

What, exactly, do you think this demonstrates?

what do you think