Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

My turn to ask: I'm playing more of Operation Abyss, and it's giving me an itch. What are the best/newest dungeon crawlers on steam? And I don't mean Grimrock with its real-time combat, I mean good stuff like Operation Abyss and StarCrawlers. Think Shin Megami Tensei 1+2 and/or Wizardry and you know what I want.

I played some of Heroes of a Broken Land and it was okay, but even a Small world can take a hundred hours to complete. Setting the movement/combat speed higher is a good idea for that one. Also, of note is that everything's randomly generated and there aren't any puzzles. Just relatively simple mazes and enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Any recommendations for free/cheap racing games on PC? I've played a bit of Trackmania Nations earlier this year and it was kinda fun, but the tracks get a little repetitive for me and I'm not a huge fan of how the gameplay is tuned for constantly resetting to perfect the track. Also the UI is frankly pretty poo poo and I remember I couldn't get it to play nicely with my XBox controller.

I prefer more arcade-y/fun-focused games and have no interest in realism or the like, whether in controls or in tracks/races/whatever. F1 isn't my kind of thing. Other than Trackmania the last racer I played was like, NFS Underground 2 I think.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is the guild 3 any good?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Insurrectionist posted:

Any recommendations for free/cheap racing games on PC? I've played a bit of Trackmania Nations earlier this year and it was kinda fun, but the tracks get a little repetitive for me and I'm not a huge fan of how the gameplay is tuned for constantly resetting to perfect the track. Also the UI is frankly pretty poo poo and I remember I couldn't get it to play nicely with my XBox controller.

I prefer more arcade-y/fun-focused games and have no interest in realism or the like, whether in controls or in tracks/races/whatever. F1 isn't my kind of thing. Other than Trackmania the last racer I played was like, NFS Underground 2 I think.

Burnout Paradise is the gold standard for arcade racers, and $5 right now on Steam.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

My turn to ask: I'm playing more of Operation Abyss, and it's giving me an itch. What are the best/newest dungeon crawlers on steam? And I don't mean Grimrock with its real-time combat, I mean good stuff like Operation Abyss and StarCrawlers. Think Shin Megami Tensei 1+2 and/or Wizardry and you know what I want.

Bard's Tale 4 and Operancia: The Stolen Sun are recent and seem alright

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Burnout Paradise is the gold standard for arcade racers, and $5 right now on Steam.

I'll check it out!

E: I see it's got a remaster on Origin, I'm assuming that's the version to play? Or is this a botched kind of remaster?

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 26, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Insurrectionist posted:

I'll check it out!

E: I see it's got a remaster on Origin, I'm assuming that's the version to play? Or is this a botched kind of remaster?

It's a great remaster!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Has there been a good mecha customization game since Armored Core 4A? V didn't do it for me, and the Battletech mechs don't usually have the build your own element I'm looking for.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Majotori is one of the best games I've bought recently.

quote:

Lariat the witch will make your wish will come true if you win a game of nerdy trivia, but if you lose, something dark will happen instead. How many lives will your ignorance ruin?

Majotori is a narratrivia, an original little game that adds an interactive narrative to a quiz game.
Features:
25+ diverse characters
50+ branching storylines
1000+ engaging questions for the modern geek
4 question categories (video games, cinema, animation, miscellaneous) with customizable frequency of appearance
A character dying a horrible death because you don't watch enough anime

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Unreal_One posted:

Has there been a good mecha customization game since Armored Core 4A? V didn't do it for me, and the Battletech mechs don't usually have the build your own element I'm looking for.

The only thing I can think of is Daemon Ex Machina, but that's not due until September.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 28, 2019

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I think Mechwarrior 5 is coming out late this year

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What's a good 2 player game my wife and I can play while high. Preferably not anything too involved or to competitive. We've usually defaulted to Mario Kart 8

Preferably on Switch/PS4, but I have a steamlink for TV streaming as well.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

The only thing I can think of is Daemon Ex Machina, but that's not due until September.

That's kinda what triggered this :v:

SoR Blaze posted:

I think Mechwarrior 5 is coming out late this year

The problem with Mechwarrior is there's not much customization; you might be able to change some internal components and weapons, but you can't swap out legs for treads.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Unreal_One posted:

That's kinda what triggered this :v:

In that case, the only other one I can think of is Front Mission: Evolved which is... not a good game by really any metric (I am a little biased given that it pretty much killed the franchise by trying to turn a tactical RPG into an action game because gently caress knows why square does anything these days), but it might scratch the itch.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

What's a good 2 player game my wife and I can play while high. Preferably not anything too involved or to competitive. We've usually defaulted to Mario Kart 8

Snipperclips, Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi's Woolly World. For the King is a lot of fun but can seem more involved/complex than it is on first glance, give it a look.

My girlfriend gets really competitive/annoyed that I'm good at video games and she isn't and hasn't been able to get mad at any of these fwiw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mordiceius posted:

Diablo 3 or ROCKET LEAGUE

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm looking for a fantasy game where instead of being a hero going on an epic journey, you're more "a person living in the world," who's fulfilling some kind of specific role in society. that role can be "being a murderhobo" if murderhoboing is less "a plucky kid and his band of friends out to kill god" and more "a reasonable career path that many others have chosen." games i've played already that fit into what i'm looking for:

recettear
final fantasy tactics A2
most of the crystal chronicles games
majesty
graveyard keeper
rune factory

i already know moonlighter exists but i can't say the game interests me terribly (for reasons aside from the criteria i'm looking for here)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm looking for a fantasy game where instead of being a hero going on an epic journey, you're more "a person living in the world," who's fulfilling some kind of specific role in society. that role can be "being a murderhobo" if murderhoboing is less "a plucky kid and his band of friends out to kill god" and more "a reasonable career path that many others have chosen." games i've played already that fit into what i'm looking for:

recettear
final fantasy tactics A2
majesty
graveyard keeper
rune factory

i already know moonlighter exists but i can't say the game interests me terribly (for reasons aside from the criteria i'm looking for here)

Octopath Traveller's stories are super low-key, it's cool.

Age of Decadence if you don't mind a bit of toughness/grognardery.

LISA, more post apocalyptic and crushingly depressing but very small scale.

Drakensang: the River of Time is pretty much just murderhobos on a murder quest, it's a late-00s Euro RPG in every way but holds up well

NWN2 Storm of Zehir is all about building up your adventuring company and making bank on trade routes and mini adventures with little overarching plot, some were disappointed but I really enjoyed it

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
A couple things you can try:

Battle Chef Brigade (PC, Switch, PS4) is a 2D action platforming/tile-matching puzzle game where you hunt monsters and gather various ingredients to cook various meals with the ultimate goal of winning a grand monster-cooking tournament.

And if you can find it, Gladius (PS2, XBox, GC) is a game where you run a gladiatorial school in fantasy (kind of surprising with the generic name I know) not-Europe so they can participate in leagues and earn awards/rewards. It's a tactics game, and you can choose whether to have attack results decided by RNG or by mini-games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

recettear
final fantasy tactics A2
majesty
graveyard keeper
rune factory

Atelier Ayesha

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

thanks for the recs guys, i appreciate it, though these recs are making me think i need to clarify what i'm looking for a bit better

so i'm not really looking for a game where thing like dialogue are nonexistent (there not being much to the "plot" is fine if there's still character interactions), and i brought up murderhobos not because i'm looking for that specifically, but because fantasy games like to put you in the role of a hero and that is one thing that can fit what i'm looking for, if murderhobo is like, a job you are employed in rather than a lifestyle you just sort of take up because being a farmer doesn't really work for the story the game is telling.

so like in tactics A2, while you are a murderhobo, you're part of an organized system of murderhobos (the clans), there are many other murderhobos out there that you'll never meet, and the average citizen interacts with murderhobos somewhat regularly. in this world, parents are hanging around thinking that it'd be just swell if their children took up the legitimate career of being a murderhobo if they have a natural knack for murderhoboing, and the majority of the game is you performing murderhobo tasks for townsfolk rather than being on some epic plot-driven quest

maybe the best way i can put it is, i'm looking for a game where you're playing as a person fulfilling some kind of job in a larger society, a job that just about anyone could consider taking up as their livelihood, and indeed there are probably other people in the world doing the exact same thing you are.

my life is depressing and i want to vicariously pretend i live in a world with dragons, but like a reasonable normal person in that world with dragons

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 28, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My recommendations still stand I guess?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you know looking into it more atelier ayesha sounds like it fits in too, sorry guys! your recs were actually good

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

ninjewtsu posted:

thanks for the recs guys, i appreciate it, though these recs are making me think i need to clarify what i'm looking for a bit better

so i'm not really looking for a game where thing like dialogue are nonexistent (there not being much to the "plot" is fine if there's still character interactions), and i brought up murderhobos not because i'm looking for that specifically, but because fantasy games like to put you in the role of a hero and that is one thing that can fit what i'm looking for, if murderhobo is like, a job you are employed in rather than a lifestyle you just sort of take up because being a farmer doesn't really work for the story the game is telling.

so like in tactics A2, while you are a murderhobo, you're part of an organized system of murderhobos (the clans), there are many other murderhobos out there that you'll never meet, and the average citizen interacts with murderhobos somewhat regularly. in this world, parents are hanging around thinking that it'd be just swell if their children took up the legitimate career of being a murderhobo if they have a natural knack for murderhoboing, and the majority of the game is you performing murderhobo tasks for townsfolk rather than being on some epic plot-driven quest

maybe the best way i can put it is, i'm looking for a game where you're playing as a person fulfilling some kind of job in a larger society, a job that just about anyone could consider taking up as their livelihood, and indeed there are probably other people in the world doing the exact same thing you are.

my life is depressing and i want to vicariously pretend i live in a world with dragons, but like a reasonable normal person in that world with dragons

Fantasy Life

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm looking for a fantasy game where instead of being a hero going on an epic journey, you're more "a person living in the world," who's fulfilling some kind of specific role in society. that role can be "being a murderhobo" if murderhoboing is less "a plucky kid and his band of friends out to kill god" and more "a reasonable career path that many others have chosen."

If drop-in coop can give you that feeling and you have someone to play with I recommend Outward. It’s a bit hard and the combat is a little clunky but I’ve never had a stronger sense of just being an adventurer in a fantasy world rather than the hero.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Insurrectionist posted:

Any recommendations for free/cheap racing games on PC?
F1 Race Stars is a fun arcadey racer in the vein of Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, etc. but with official F1 drivers/liveries (as of 2012). Currently $3.74 in the sale.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ninjewtsu posted:

Legend of Heroes Trail in the Sky is a jrpg that starts out as this - the two protagonists join up with the Bracer guild and they're basically freelance cops/adventurers/explorers who go around their country doing good stuff for pay. 70% of the first game is them learning the ropes and getting oriented in their jobs as they solve problems and it's really charming, and then the final act escalates things to a more "save the country" level, but it feels good and natural.

The second game goes a bit off the rails and is more standard jrpg adventure than life as a bracer, but eh, the first game is huge and very comforting to play.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm looking for something that might not exist.. Is there a game where you're kind of managing a society who has to go out and scavenge for resources in a hostile landscape? Maybe where they can find rare weapons or equipment or locations to e something and I can decide who gets it.. I don't know what I'm really looking for, I think I just want a Fallout Shelter or something on PC that doesn't suck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is Rimworld what you're looking for?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

No Wave posted:

Is Rimworld what you're looking for?

Played it, love it.. but not quite.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

New Leaf posted:

I'm looking for something that might not exist.. Is there a game where you're kind of managing a society who has to go out and scavenge for resources in a hostile landscape? Maybe where they can find rare weapons or equipment or locations to e something and I can decide who gets it.. I don't know what I'm really looking for, I think I just want a Fallout Shelter or something on PC that doesn't suck.

You want Thea: The Awakened.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

New Leaf posted:

Kenshi, maybe? But base-building is more midgame, so idk.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862574

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

You want Thea: The Awakened.

Wow, yeah that looks amazingly like what I want, thanks! Is the DLC worth it during the Steam sale?

RabbitWizard posted:

Kenshi, maybe? But base-building is more midgame, so idk.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862574

Another strong contender, may have to get it too..

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Kenshi has a demo.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

New Leaf posted:

Another strong contender, may have to get it too..
It's definitely a game that exists, but I couldn't believe it does.

Mayveena posted:

Kenshi has a demo.
Also this. And the demo is quite reasonable, you can get your skills up to 20(I think) from 100 and that is plenty of play time.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville if you don't mind it looking like a browser/mobile game (or zombies), it definitely meets your requirements.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 30, 2019

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Geralt in The Witcher is a murderhobo for hire rather than someone with a heroic destiny, although he get up in all sorts of political machinations and has a well defined backstory.

Battle Brothers also fits this.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ninjewtsu posted:

recettear
final fantasy tactics A2
majesty
graveyard keeper
rune factory

Europa 1400/The Guild remains the best 'having a normal job' simulator, but it's more like a management/politcs game and it's very light on fantasy elements.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All I can think of is Graveyard Keeper or Stardew Valley. Maybe Slime Rancher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Europa 1400/The Guild remains the best 'having a normal job' simulator, but it's more like a management/politcs game and it's very light on fantasy elements.

The guild 2 is a really cool game that I can never get terribly far in (my blacksmithing business slowly grows until its booming, then really suddenly the market is saturated and my business dies)

I've seen that the guild 3 is a game for sale in EA on steam, is that any good?