Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

hm i don't get what you're trying to say. the point of the link i posted was showing that someone is making an xfce window manager on wayland

you implied xfce had no future without wayland

to the extent xfce has a future, x11 will be the main thrust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

that reminds me, has anyone posted this yet? On the Road to Fedora Workstation 31

quote:

...Once we are done with this we expect X.org to go into hard maintenance mode fairly quickly. The reality is that X.org is basically maintained by us and thus once we stop paying attention to it there is unlikely to be any major new releases coming out and there might even be some bitrot setting in over time. We will keep an eye on it as we will want to ensure X.org stays supportable until the end of the RHEL8 lifecycle at a minimum, but let this be a friendly notice for everyone who rely the work we do maintaining the Linux graphics stack, get onto Wayland, that is where the future is.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

another thing that is posted right after that quote are the progress of pipewire. annoys me to no end that thing - granted, we need that component for desktop sharing and video sharing, but why can't anyone tell me why it needs to replace jack and pulseaudio? why not integrate it as a plugin or something? it's gonna be like that pulseaudio and ubuntu situation all over again if they force their users to jump ship from pulseaudio.

there's been _a lot_ of work getting that sound server to work with all the hosed up bluetooth setups and latency issues and recoding issues and whatnot, and now they're just planning to throw all of that out and start anew? that's the gist i'm getting from it..

smells of cadt the whole project

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Tankakern posted:

they're just planning to throw all of that out and start anew

open_source.txt

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

another thing that is posted right after that quote are the progress of pipewire. annoys me to no end that thing - granted, we need that component for desktop sharing and video sharing, but why can't anyone tell me why it needs to replace jack and pulseaudio? why not integrate it as a plugin or something? it's gonna be like that pulseaudio and ubuntu situation all over again if they force their users to jump ship from pulseaudio.

there's been _a lot_ of work getting that sound server to work with all the hosed up bluetooth setups and latency issues and recoding issues and whatnot, and now they're just planning to throw all of that out and start anew? that's the gist i'm getting from it..

smells of cadt the whole project

jack and pulse don't really coexist since they end up fighting over alsa and pulse isn't suitable for low-latency uses

pipewire is designed to be coreaudio-like with dynamically adjustable latency depending on the lowest current request. they already have shims for pulseaudio, jack and alsa so legacy apps should just work, probably better since a legacy app that tries to open an alsa device directly won't end up blocking everything else

the windows audio system benefited hugely from them throwing out and rewriting everything after xp, so there's nothing wrong with throwing everything out and rewriting things when warrented

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

but pulseaudio solves lots of hard problems now, it's been refined for years. there's a lot that needs to be reimplemented to supplant everything pulseaudio does.

i really don't think its replacement is warranted

what i see happening anyway is that the status quo for years to come is that both runs as a daemon by themselves indefinately, even if everything pipewire does could be solved by having it as one .so file in /usr/lib64/pulse-1.x/modules/

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
is jack worth the headache of setting up? I usually just use pulse.. mostly because if I’m using a DE it’s probably gnome and that has pulseaudio auto installed so it seems like a pita to setup the pulse -> jack bridge

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol at pulseaudio being the legacy thing that people think works just fine and thus must be rewritten from the ground up to satiate the cadt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

that reminds me, has anyone posted this yet? On the Road to Fedora Workstation 31

redhat thinks that if they stop funding x.org, X11 will just magically get replaced by wayland

that seems unlikely

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Vomik posted:

is jack worth the headache of setting up? I usually just use pulse.. mostly because if I’m using a DE it’s probably gnome and that has pulseaudio auto installed so it seems like a pita to setup the pulse -> jack bridge

jackd is useful if you need low latency or you're interested in writing plugins

it basically competes with like, vst on windows

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

lol at pulseaudio being the legacy thing that people think works just fine and thus must be rewritten from the ground up to satiate the cadt

People will scream "it's broken by design, replace it with a ground-up rewrite" up until we replace it and then "cadt!!!"

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The alternative to cadt is often to end up with Windows 9x.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

People will scream "it's broken by design, replace it with a ground-up rewrite" up until we replace it and then "cadt!!!"

it’s only cast when the replacement isn’t backwards compatible with existing applications or if it removes features

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Good thing neither of those are the case I guess? It still uses pulse under the hood.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yeah but every blog post ever written about pipewire states that the goal is to replace pulse and jack, without really explaining why that is necessary

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

while I get the gist from the context, I'm gonna assume cadt is short for Carry A Dog Toy

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

i dont want to use wayland damnit

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
wayland might actually have a chance if somebody finishes this "waypipe" thing

https://mstoeckl.com/notes/gsoc/blog.html

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

wayland might actually have a chance

a chance at...?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fiedler posted:

a chance at...?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i installed a linux because i have unlimited time to troubleshoot bullshit issues now and it just works. i’m flummoxed and disappointed to say the least.

i saw a few posts up that they’re working on breaking sound and X11, so that’s kind of a relief.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Laslow posted:

i installed a linux because i have unlimited time to troubleshoot bullshit issues now and it just works. i’m flummoxed and disappointed to say the least.

i saw a few posts up that they’re working on breaking sound and X11, so that’s kind of a relief.

This was basically my two most recent experiences installing Linux. They even properly detected my laptop screen resolution. I didn't even have to edit a single config file ffs. Truly disappointing.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
and both my nvidia vga cards are properly switching power states, it’s infuriating.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
jesus christ there are some bad avs in this thread

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
well we're talking about linux - of course it looks bad

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I can't tell if I'm the masochist that I liked troubleshooting my wayland gnome extension issue earlier today or if I'm the sadist that I liked my desktop stepping out of line so I could brutally peel bits one at a time back until it did exactly what I told it to do

Heh crazy life being a linux user

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Corla Plankun posted:

avs off for faster poo poo posting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

a chance at...?

a chance at supplanting x11 and avoiding the graveyard of whizz-bang graphics demos that didn’t replace x11

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

:agreed:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

eyh suspicious dish you made phoronix

Another Attempt At Reducing GNOME's Mutter Input Latency

maybe larabel lurks these forums

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I recently gave up on GNOME and switched to sway. Fortunately I was able to make it behave like the mid-2000s window manager I used as a teenager.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

your summary is unfair

he wanted one tiling window manager to have keybindings similar to another tiling window manager, which seems pretty achievable

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

eyh suspicious dish you made phoronix

Another Attempt At Reducing GNOME's Mutter Input Latency

maybe larabel lurks these forums

No I didn't. I am not Daniel.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Why use sway over i3?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

your summary is unfair

he wanted one tiling window manager to have keybindings similar to another tiling window manager, which seems pretty achievable

That's athas's blog. You just told the author their own summary is wrong holy poo poo lmao

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Peak nbsd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's athas's blog. You just told the author their own summary is wrong holy poo poo lmao

i said it was unfair, not that it's wrong

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the summary did rather sound like he tried to snark on his own blogpost yeah :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

The Xkdc Larper posted:

Why use sway over i3?

wayland