Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Macaluso posted:

I think maybe the jam levels should be on a separate spreadsheet. I think that'd just make it easier to keep track of them as opposed to the regular ones which we're already 230+

They are. You can put your Jam level on both spreadsheets though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Hey guys, poster "lunar detrius" has something great for us, check out: https://randomactsofmario.com/
It's a randomizer which picks out a level from the spreadsheet for you. It'll remember which ones you've already played too.

Also, this first version was hastily thrown together so I'm very open to suggestions!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
It can also help to just play a bunch of random poo poo in endless. I'm working on a level right now whose spark was entirely seeing one mechanic in someone's level (and it wasn't even designed for it, it just happened accidentally) and building something around it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DalaranJ posted:

They are. You can put your Jam level on both spreadsheets though.

Oh okay cool!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

DalaranJ posted:

Hey guys, poster "lunar detrius" has something great for us, check out: https://randomactsofmario.com/
It's a randomizer which picks out a level from the spreadsheet for you. It'll remember which ones you've already played too.

lunar detritus posted:

Also, this first version was hastily thrown together so I'm very open to suggestions!

This is great, and it even has a "I've done the first X" Option! One request though, can we have the # on the spreadsheet listed somewhere, so the madmen who are trying to do them all can keep their noted saved for the unnecessary effort-posts?

Tnega fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 1, 2019

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Made my first ever course.

YY0-C2W-8SF

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Just uploaded my first Mario level. It's pretty straight forward, no fancy gimmicks. I spent a lot of time fine-tuning the "gently caress you and die" sections to make them fair and also made sure it's beatable for your dad who don't know there's a run button:

HST-P3K-KWF

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1145533703965179904

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 1, 2019

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

... Are there no Eeries in this? Or anything that moves like an Eerie?

So far my biggest level design struggles have been going in expecting the entire SMW toolkit and not finding what I'm looking for, lmao. I guess I should just go in and experiment instead to familiarize myself!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Castor Poe posted:

Just uploaded my first Mario level. It's pretty straight forward, no fancy gimmicks. I spent a lot of time fine-tuning the "gently caress you and die" sections to make them fair and also made sure it's beatable for your dad who don't know there's a run button:

HST-P3K-KWF

The difficulty really ramps up there in second half, but it was all fair. Great first effort.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've kind of lost track of what goon levels I've played and there weren't a lot posted on the page when I started, so I went to random.org and rolled a 232 sided die for every level in the spreadsheet when I started. We'll see how many I can do and give a one line comment to in an hour.

code:
75.  Procrastine	Jungle Hijinxs	5PB-PKC-FVF	Super Mario World	Standard	Homage
A lot of big coins here. Pretty simple, but not bad overall.

code:
187. Sharizard	Wet Chomps	7S9-0CQ-S6G	Super Mario Bros. 3	Underwater	Autoscroller
I was going say "Tricky but not out of control" until I hit the end; that's a lot of chomps.

code:
232. Zerohero	Forest Adventure	WD2-JVQ-B4G	Super Mario World	Forest	"Classic"
Why no check point at the start of the clouds? Also, don't have a backless pipe visually.

Speaking of visually, from this point on I am deducting points for using the default five length snake blocks. You can't leave a trail if it's only five bricks long!

code:
98. saltyslug	Lukas vs Rosa	3DX-4TH-DQG	Super Mario 2D World	Underground	Boss Fight
You've got to have more in your course than just fighting Bowser. Also, I don't know how many cat swipes it takes to defeat Meowser, but it's more than you should reasonably expect someone to do without getting hit by an enemy with highly random movement and attacks.

code:
2. PotU	Air Attack	SM6QTFPFF	Super Mario World	Airship	"Classic"
Actually, number one on the list since it's on row 2. So I got the first and last items in my rolls. Huh.

I'm assuming this level was just trying out as many parts as possible. I got stuck at one point because I was big and there was a gap requiring you to be small to get through and nothing around to hurt me.

code:
221. 100 degrees Calcium	Super Jump Zone	KT5-HT6-NVG	Super Mario Bros.	Standard	"Classic"
Nice challenge. It's in a weird place where it's just a little too long to not have a checkpoint but placing one would make the checkpoint half super short. Some of the enemies coming out of the pipes had to be manipulated to make the jumps simpler, too.

code:
80. Crusader	DOOMSHIP	KML-3HB-15G	Super Mario Bros. 3	Airship	Auto
That got ugly real quick.

code:
159. insidius	Mind the gaps!	3NV-RL6-XFF	Super Mario Bros.	Standard	"Classic"
Sniped by offscreen thwomp and quit level immediately. The dojo even tells you explicitly not to do that.

code:
134. SamFausr	Spooky Night, Holy Light	9CX9Y1WSG	Super Mario Bros. 3	Ghost House	"Classic"
You know what's worse than blind jumps? Blind jumps when you can only see a radius of three bricks around you.

code:
166. Fawf	Drop It Like It's Hot	RX3-DDT-MHF	Super Mario Bros.	Sky	Other Gimmick
Cute concept, I would have liked to see it explored more.

DalaranJ posted:

Motherfucker.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think I love Mario Maker 2 you guys

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think I love Mario Maker 2 you guys

:same:

hey is there a way to drop an empty spinning shell / beetle / spiny in maker mode? i can't seem to find how to make it happen

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

alf_pogs posted:

:same:

hey is there a way to drop an empty spinning shell / beetle / spiny in maker mode? i can't seem to find how to make it happen

Bill Blaster is the only way

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Two questions:

Can doors go layer to layer and how do I make that happen?

Are there no Yoshis?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

CascadeBeta posted:

Alright, just finished my second level:

Boom Boom's Hideout.
PRF-JML-XPG

Mario has tracked Boom Boom to his fortress. There's nowhere to run now!

A nice fun little athletic romp. Difficulty is nicely balanced too.

Kirios posted:

I made a Mario Kart track! Give it a shot:

Luigi's Circuit 0.5
728-YRN-4YF

The level looks a bit barebones aesthetically, but it was a nice little car level. I'm not sure what the point of the superstar at the end was. It doesn't make the car invincible, and the car already runs over the enemies in this level. Unless it was done to change the music.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

d3lness posted:

The backtracking was annoying because you teach the player to skip keys at the very beginning of the level. Most people aren't going to assume they need to run over the top of your pipes. Bills after the red pipes were also extraneous. Just block the path instead or add a pit. You expect players to explore over the glass pipes, but punish them for exploring past the red angled pipe.

You know where to go in the level so its layout makes sense, but somebody who hasn't done it before has no idea what you had in mind. You have no hints suggesting where players should go while providing conflicting in-level messages.

Those bills can get you a 1 up if you let them follow you. They can't hurt you unless you stay still or run right into you. The pipe stops the bottom one from being able to hit you

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Spikey posted:

Made my first ever course.
YY0-C2W-8SF
The Jump under the pipe is a little goofy, it doesn't "look" like you'll make it at first. The first muncher pit could use a coin over it, as you had no way of knowing it was coming. and you should fill in the area at the end, the whole being viable by the pipe does not look good. Good work!

Castor Poe posted:

HST-P3K-KWF
The coin slide in the secret area put me right onto a spiney. The difficulty was all over the place, of particular note is the hammer bro in the saw area. Also, under the 10 coin there's a blue platform with some spikes you have to jump over, this can be hard to see and react to if you avoid the janky bouncers. (Either lower the spikes, or let people go under them) The powerups and checkpoint ARE appreciated, keep it up!
Cute! Beep Beep I'm A car!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I've kind of lost track of what goon levels I've played and there weren't a lot posted on the page when I started, so I went to random.org and rolled a 232 sided die for every level in the spreadsheet when I started. We'll see how many I can do and give a one line comment to in an hour.

Motherfucker.

:stonklol:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tnega posted:

This is great, and it even has a "I've done the first X" Option! One request though, can we have the # on the spreadsheet listed somewhere, so the madmen who are trying to do them all can keep their noted saved for the unnecessary effort-posts?

Done :cheers:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Random Stranger posted:

Also, don't have a backless pipe visually.

This needs to be in big bold flashing letters in the OP and on billboards and like, on the moon's surface. Cause holy gently caress. I hate that more than enemies thrown around everywhere with no care. It's basically a warcrime

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Anyone have the link to the old MM1 part randomizer handy? I'm assuming there's no updated one for the sequel yet.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

Ignore the code in the tweet, I had to re-upload it to remove the BGM so it's now MQ5-4RF-6XG

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1145518568810827776

This... This right here is the only acceptable autoscrolling music level. EVERY OTHER ONE SHOULD BE BANNED.

::piss:

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 1, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope that they not only bring back the bookmark site but also add a playlist feature because jesus christ the influx of level codes in this thread is unmitigable in a way the first game wasn't.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Good Sphere posted:

Wow fantastic! Just the right level of difficulty for me, where it’s right on the fence of being too much. Subscribed.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

This was challenging and at times quite tense. I enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks! I learned a lot while making it. I'm definitely gonna tone down the cannons in the future unless I'm making a specific challenge map, they got kinda spammy at the end there

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Araxxor posted:

The level looks a bit barebones aesthetically, but it was a nice little car level. I'm not sure what the point of the superstar at the end was. It doesn't make the car invincible, and the car already runs over the enemies in this level. Unless it was done to change the music.

You're getting a last minute bullshit star on the final lap. That was honestly the full thought.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

code:
134. SamFausr	Spooky Night, Holy Light	9CX9Y1WSG	Super Mario Bros. 3	Ghost House	"Classic"
You know what's worse than blind jumps? Blind jumps when you can only see a radius of three bricks around you.

You missed a gimmick in that level that I didn't catch until near the final screen and which is brilliant if you duck as if you're "praying", the holy light sound effect plays and illuminates the level, aka "holy light".

Went from a level where I was similarly irritated to one of my favorites so far.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
HL6-1YF-2QF

Just finished up the level I've spent the past few days on! It's themed around exploring the insides of a whale (turns out doing that theme is not easy with the current tool set).

Not the toughest level ever, and I may go back and make it a little longer, but I'm glad to get something uploaded :)

Edit: Took the level down while I make some fixes/updates. Will upload the improved version soon!

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 1, 2019

Padomyme
Jan 9, 2005
Burn the women and rape the cows
Last one for a while. It’s just a couple of Kaizo tricks except upside down! Honestly should be fairly easy for anyone that can do this stuff. It was pretty challenging for me since I’m just starting to get the hang of these things.

Some Upside-down Tricks
3VF-KHQ-8FG

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Argue posted:

I hope that they not only bring back the bookmark site but also add a playlist feature because jesus christ the influx of level codes in this thread is unmitigable in a way the first game wasn't.

It was predicting the rate to be about twice as fast as the previous game. I'll tell you at the end of the week.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Plebian Parasite posted:

I finally made a level I feel is worth sharing, and it's a western.

Showdown at the Old Koopa Corral - 7DW-QNQ-7KF

I liked the first part of this a lot, felt like playing Hogan’s Alley. The second part seemed cool but there were a lot of restarts due to timing the fireworks on the platforms hitting off your helmet which you needed for later.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I'm trying to make a level where you race an enemy to the end before it hits a P-Switch and makes the level unwinnable, but no matter what I do the winning strategy is to let the enemy get far enough ahead that he despawns. :smith:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I'm trying to make a level where you race an enemy to the end before it hits a P-Switch and makes the level unwinnable, but no matter what I do the winning strategy is to let the enemy get far enough ahead that he despawns. :smith:

That's nothing that a wall of grinders can't solve!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Phantasium posted:

You missed a gimmick in that level that I didn't catch until near the final screen and which is brilliant if you duck as if you're "praying", the holy light sound effect plays and illuminates the level, aka "holy light".

Went from a level where I was similarly irritated to one of my favorites so far.

That is very clever and impossible to communicate to players well. Even if there were more sections set up specifically to trigger the effect so players could make the connection, it's still a big leap to the mechanic since I always associate such things with specific locations.

Checkpoints! And I don't mean the flag in the maker. If there's multiple places where the enemy triggers an effect to let the player through, waiting for them to despawn doesn't help. Alternative, you can use the autoscroll feature to make the level keep pack with the enemy and kill the player if they fall behind. Or if your geometry allows it, put something chasing the player so they have to try to keep up with the enemy.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 1, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m happy commenting is back. It’s like Miiverse is alive again.:unsmith:

I have a lot of fun leaving comments on random levels.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

You need to watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrzYpdQyRmc

I think the solution you need will be a bit sketchy though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's something magnificent about checking the death heat map of your level and seeing that people have been running into your prank. (No, it's not an invisible brick above a hole.)

And one more goon level for the road.

PantsBandit posted:

HL6-1YF-2QF

Just finished up the level I've spent the past few days on! It's themed around exploring the insides of a whale (turns out doing that theme is not easy with the current tool set).

Not the toughest level ever, and I may go back and make it a little longer, but I'm glad to get something uploaded :)

I liked the theming a lot, but there were some implementation problems. Getting up to the mouth was slow and as a result by the time I'm there most of the time at least one of the two hammer bros have dropped down to block the entrance. And with their hammers in water, they just become a wall. The first time you enter the stomach area, you cannot complete it due to delays in how things spawn. That makes the best solution collecting the star, running to the reset door, and then getting the key before that first star wears off. Just putting Bowser in the way with an infinite number of fireflowers is a pretty dull way to end things since you can't lose once you're there. There has to be some extra hook when you use Bowser as a boss fight; in this case the obvious path would be the rising swamp water which might force the player onto island during the fight.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I remade Mario Land 1-1 because I was feeling creatively bankrupt.

5CC-6JT-PMF

jercoxthealmighty
Dec 18, 2007
So I was big into the original and am so far quite happy with smm2. I am still catching up on this thread, but I have a level to show off.

Don't Touch That Moon!
FRF-PV4-0BG

Literally the first gimmick I thought of when I saw what the moon can do. I'd personally say the difficulty level is earl-mid-game-ish... like world 3 or 4 in mario 3... even if the forest theme in this game makes it look more like world 7... but I digress.

Hope y'all enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

I made a new level, this time I tried adding some narrative/puzzle elements.

Impossible Ice Fortress

959-RXR-XPG

I've been going through the thread and playing levels as they're posted and this one had 0 plays. There are a few rough spots with Hammer Bros. but it was pretty fun (though I did cheat at the Bob-omb section by just blowing out the ice wall and reaching the exit pipe).