Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Typo posted:

what do you think

I don't know, that's why I'm asking you. You're the one making the argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I guess it's useful to reaffirm the notion that most voters don't actually know much about candidates and their politics at all, and that dumb factors like name recognition matter far more than whether two politicians like, say, Biden and Sanders are about as far apart from each other as any of these candidates could be.

It's also depressing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Keep in mind most people have not read long articles on strategic defense and the options in North Korea. If they did, they’ll see every retaliation has enormous cost to either us or the South Koreans and maybe Japan, and the most likely outcome is that we’re going to have to accept that the Kim dynasty can point nuclear warheads at the lower 48 and learn to live under that threat. Long detailed infopieces about the various options usually end with, “well maybe we should being back 1950s style nuclear drills to classrooms again.”

The candidates can’t actually say that, though. Most everyday Americans who don’t obsess over politics believe it’s unacceptable to surrender an untouchable mainland. Like a lot of privileges, it’s not one people let go of easily. So I’m not sure exactly what kind of statement you want from Warren, because “wake up and face to the shadow of annihilation” doesn’t really make people Pokémon Go to the polls.

The American people don't worry about England or France having nuclear missiles that can reach the "untouchable mainland". Long detailed infopieces about the options tend to exclude one major option: peace and normalization of relations with North Korea, based on a genuine desire for reducing hostilities rather than a stupid transactional relationship where even the most minor gesture needs to be paid for by a foreign policy concession.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This tweet seems pretty innocuous to me.

That's because you're a neoliberal.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Judakel posted:

That's because you're a neoliberal.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

LinYutang posted:

Bernie was doing rallies to build his organization and brand immediately following the 2016 election to today.

28% isn't too far off, and is a pretty bad showing in a state he won by a complete landslide in 2016.

This early? Hahaha.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
I feel like there's two different ways of measuring a candidate's support and they keep getting conflated. The first is what % of that candidate's supporters are a given demographic, and the second is what the preferred candidate of that demographic is as a whole. To use an extreme example, if I were running and I had exactly five supporters and all of them were POC, you could credibly say "Z. Autobahn does exceptionally well with POC voters" but it also isn't really true or meaningful because I'm not the preferred candidate of the vast majority of POC voters. It's definitely true that Bernie supporters are diverse, but it's also true that he's not the preferred candidate of black voters (which is primarily a factor of age rather than race).

Majorian posted:

Ah, I see - so you're using a poll where Biden soaks up a large amount of black voter support, under the assumption that he's going to keep black voters' support for the foreseeable future.

Fascinating stuff, as always, Typo.

I mean... he's using polls that show... what the polls are showing... as opposed to polls that show what... theoretically could happen? I don't understand this argument. Polls show us where support currently is. Obviously things could change in any of a million ways, but... that's not what polls are?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/MikeGravel/status/1145467048186777603

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean... he's using polls that show... what the polls are showing... as opposed to polls that show what... theoretically could happen? I don't understand this argument. Polls show us where support currently is. Obviously things could change in any of a million ways, but... that's not what polls are?

They don't exactly support his argument that Sanders isn't doing well with POCs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Z. Autobahn posted:

Those polls don't indicate what he is implying they do.

Maybe he even knows that since he refuses to state outright what he thinks those polls indicate

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don’t have any confusing triangular graphs to back me up but my understanding is that Bernie “isn’t doing well” with black voters simply because Biden is and you can’t (in the paradigm of a poll) support two candidates at once. If/when Biden crashes Bernie should be picking up a lot of black voters, because they actually “like” him - in a fav/unfav sense - more than white voters.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I don’t have any confusing triangular graphs to back me up but my understanding is that Bernie “isn’t doing well” with black voters simply because Biden is and you can’t (in the paradigm of a poll) support two candidates at once. If/when Biden crashes Bernie should be picking up a lot of black voters, because they actually “like” him - in a fav/unfav sense - more than white voters.

This is essentially correct, yes. His favorables are perfectly fine among the demo, but it's been a thing going back to 2016 to frame "not the first choice of" as "completely despises."

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Right, as has been the case for the months, there's a widespread disagreement on what "doing well with a group" means. Does it mean % of your supporters that are that group? Does it mean your fav/unfav with that group? Or does it mean how you rank as a preferred candidate with that group? Bernie has always done very well in metrics 1 and 2 with black voters, less so with metric 3. The problem is, when it comes to a primary, metric 3 is what actually matters.

That said, I don't really agree with the scenario you're describing because it's operating like Biden is crashing in a vacuum. That seemed possible earlier on, but I think now it's clear that if Biden falls, it's because of a targeted erosion of his support by other candidates. Bernie could do it, but he'd have to step up his game and change his campaigning style to be much more personal and directly aggressive; right now, Harris is the one playing that role and reaping the (possibly short-term) benefits.

Stuff like this poses the biggest threat to Biden *and* Bernie:

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1145469206630227968

Despite all the talk of 'rigging', the establishment Dems have been (by and large) playing it cautious so far, probably waiting to see how it shakes out. But a full-scale establishment push for Harris both murders Biden but also will ensure that a LOT of his support moves to her.

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is essentially correct, yes. His favorables are perfectly fine among the demo, but it's been a thing going back to 2016 to frame "not the first choice of" as "completely despises."

Yeah, this is a case where BOTH SIDES LOL are wrong in their framing. Donut Twitter is wrong to frame Bernie's pref rankings as a sign that "black voters hate him", but Bernie supporters are also wrong to frame his fav/supporter distribution as proof that there's no problem.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 1, 2019

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Z. Autobahn posted:

Stuff like this poses the biggest threat to Biden *and* Bernie:

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1145469206630227968

Could we not refer to Harris as 'stuff'?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

Right, as has been the case for the months, there's a widespread disagreement on what "doing well with a group" means. Does it mean % of your supporters that are that group? Does it mean your fav/unfav with that group? Or does it mean how you rank as a preferred candidate with that group? Bernie has always done very well in metrics 1 and 2 with black voters, less so with metric 3. The problem is, when it comes to a primary, metric 3 is what actually matters.

As Oh Snapple! pointed out, we were talking about POC voters in general, not exclusively black voters. Typo's caricature of POC voters deliberately excludes Latinx voters (and really all POCs besides black voters).

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Oh Snapple! posted:

is there any D currently running that have high negatives among african-american voters?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Typo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 15, 2019

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Majorian posted:

They don't exactly support his argument that Sanders isn't doing well with POCs.

Look, all my white upper class twitter friends with donut emojis for names say that Bernie is Bad On Race like 5 times a day and have done so since 2015 so it has to be true!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1145482206833459200

And yes, the replies are :waycool:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1145492550746288131

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

his mustache still feels weird

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Right? I’m still not convinced he’s not secretly Richard Dreyfuss.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

When exactly did yall get the opportunity to feel his moustache?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Bizzaro Bolton

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

Was it a goon who said that the thing with Bolton's moustache is that it's simultaneously quite bushy, but also you feel like you could easily count every individual hair? I think about that all the time

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Typo posted:

Bernie's actual problem this cycle btw is more with older voters in general rather than race/gender, something like <30% of 65+ say they would even -consider- voting for him and he's at 7% with them in "who would you vote for". The average age of Dem primary voter in 2016 is something between 47-52.

if you expect huge surge of young voters he does win but that's a huge if

This and income are basically the only relevant demographic stats when discussing Sanders. Any increased/decreased likelihood along vectors like race or gender after accounting for age are likely pretty insignificant.

Mellow Seas posted:

While I would like to believe you're right, I feel like there's a good chance that, if the media and Dem establishment rallied behind some other candidate, that candidate would pick up most ex-Biden voters.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/46812637362782208

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hasn't Bernie been polling best in New Hampshire for a while? And his ground game is focused there. If he wins the first primary then the 'electability' voters are gonna switch fast, Biden will in all likelihood crash hard. After that the question is how the establishment responds.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Damnit Marianne, coal plants release more radiation that nuclear plants!

Also pouring cold water on a reactor would be a good thing. Thanks angels!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

joepinetree posted:

Again, Warren's wealth tax proposal is absolutely silent on enforcement, especially since the US allows for things like anonymous trusts, and since the bulk of wealth can be easily rerouted through foundations, offshore trusts, and offshore accounts. Bernie's 77% estate tax plus 0.5% tax on transfers of financial instruments is not only much more aggressive in its redistributive aspects, not only much more enforceable, but also much more detailed, since they are bills that Bernie has introduced.

This is the thing that drives me up a wall. Virtually all of Bernie's signature proposals have been introduced as bills in the senate. Bernie is likely to be the presidential candidate with the most detailed proposals in history, because they are nearly all actually written as bills in the senate. And yet the media treats Warren as the smart wonk because she throws out a wealth tax bill with numbers that are absolutely meaningless.

How do blind trusts, foundations, and offshore stuff work to let elites avoid taxes?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hasn't Bernie been polling best in New Hampshire for a while? And his ground game is focused there. If he wins the first primary then the 'electability' voters are gonna switch fast, Biden will in all likelihood crash hard. After that the question is how the establishment responds.

It depends. If Biden manages to win Iowa then Bernie winning New Hampshire doesn't necessarily knock him out. If biden loses both Iowa and New Hampshire he's totally done.

I have faith in the good people of Iowa to remember their history and vote for virtually every other candidate before they vote for Biden.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If kamala harris is the nominee her sole purpose is to punish drunk america for electing trump

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

The playoffs are not the super bowl. The analogy was fine and you weirdly chose to overcomplicate a matter that's been widely agreed on because ???.

In less stupid avenues of discussion,

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1145115870781423618

Boy what a loving shock that Liz's uptick of support was soft as hell.

it's funny, bc I keep seeing the withers on dk swing back and forth between harris and warren.

and at DU, the biden-harris people have declared all-out war on each other. Bernie is smart to keep it lowkey now, and I threw him an extra $50 tonite for his Q2 numbers.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

LinYutang posted:

Bernie was doing rallies to build his organization and brand immediately following the 2016 election to today.

aka campaigning for other candidates, you dolt.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How do blind trusts, foundations, and offshore stuff work to let elites avoid taxes?

They allow you to hide your wealth, which is the actual hard part of any proposal to tax wealth.

Suddenly, it's not your wealth. It's the wealth of this anonymous trust we don't know who they belong to, or to this company that was incorporated in the Cayman Islands or in Panama or whatever. It also applies to estate taxes (though estate taxes if there is any contention between the beneficiaries can make it all harder to hide), which is why the transfer of financial assets tax that Bernie proposes is so important. You transfer your house and assets to the company Dizz Jenouement that is based out of the Cayman Islands and at least you pay some taxes on that. And Warren is very well aware that that is the challenge. Now, having a broad idea with no specifics at this stage in the campaign is no big deal. Except that the discourse is that Warren is the wonk with actual policies versus pie in the sky Bernie. But in this key Warren policy, she has like a webpage where she discusses taxing wealth, but 0 detail or even acknowledgement of the multiple ways people can easily hide wealth. Meanwhile, Bernie has 2 full proposals, one that increases the estate tax and improves its enforcement, and another that creates a tax on all transfers of financial assets.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Willa Rogers posted:

and at DU, the biden-harris people have declared all-out war on each other. Bernie is smart to keep it lowkey now, and I threw him an extra $50 tonite for his Q2 numbers.

holy crap that site still exists? i remember reading it in 2002 lmao

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jakeonthecobb/status/1144610462732079105

also who the hell gave pete buttmunch 25 million

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

If kamala harris is the nominee her sole purpose is to support the power structures that never cared about trump

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

aka campaigning for other candidates, you dolt.

I remember in 2016 the Hillary crew's line was that she would fight and campaign for the Democratic downballot, while Bernie (who is not even a Democrat) would throw them to the wolves because his campaign was all about him.

And then not only did it turn out Hillary was siphoning funds and campaign contributions from the downballot into her Victory Fund (lol), but when Bernie turned out to actually be what they claimed Hillary was they hated it and now campaigning for the downballot is narcissistic and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This is actually terrifyingly on point.

And I presume donors tossing pocket change to the diversity hire