Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

cerebral posted:

Yeah I was pleased at his responses. I feel bad for him though, just having watched his streams for the last couple of weeks, you can see the soul just withering inside him.

The people complaining about drag stabs got a pretty good response, which consisted of (paraphrasing), "It's the easiest attack in the game to parry, it's the easiest attack in the game to chamber, you can't accel it, but you want us to nerf the drag even more than it already has been??? Ummm, if we did that, stabs would never ever land on anyone with a high level of skill."

did he say anything about making it more readable? i think all these weird mechanics would be fine if you could actually tell when theyre being used without carefully memorising animations for hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just think it looks dumb. Maybe not as dumb as "backwards overheads" or whatever but definitely dumb

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.
Made for angels, by angels.

cerebral posted:

"Play the points please,"

That must be the most ignored request on Tiaga. Everyone would rather fight over the big bridge than even look at the points.

cerebral posted:

Honestly someone could probably TK me a dozen times and I wouldn't mind, so long as they show even the tiniest sign of remorse. "Sry" "mb", anything, anything at all.

Same. If it's a misshap, then poo poo happens. When people are just being douches though it's annoying (although sometimes funny in a sad way). Ended up setting a macro for "sorry" while using the spear (with friendly) because it's pretty common for my ally I'm poking over/around to dodge the opposite way I expected them to. . . right into my spear or billhook tip.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

dogstile posted:

They just do it back tbh, it stabs fast enough. If you could just chamber them for a hit its fine, but the problem is you chamber and then they chamber back until one of you loses a weapon, or you chamber morph and they stab you through it. No real mixups

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mordhau/comments/bvfsf1/does_rmordhau_like_catches/

You can see an example here where the guy chambers and the guy stabs back fast enough to block the hit

I feel like the fact that this fight lasts over a minute despite non-stop face-smashing and still goes to stamina multiple times is kind of epitomic of the game's problems. Actually getting a hit in (not just causing stamina damage by forcing your opponent to chamber cancel or parry) is really loving hard against a good player. I don't think getting up in your opponent's face and playing a reaction game to reduce his stamina to 0 is especially fun, and I'd really prefer it if feints were an actual mix-up. But I guess that's not really the kind of game they're trying to make, or maybe they foolishly listened to people who complained about feints being "unfair" in Chivalry

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Minorkos posted:

I feel like the fact that this fight lasts over a minute despite non-stop face-smashing and still goes to stamina multiple times is kind of epitomic of the game's problems. Actually getting a hit in (not just causing stamina damage by forcing your opponent to chamber cancel or parry) is really loving hard against a good player. I don't think getting up in your opponent's face and playing a reaction game to reduce his stamina to 0 is especially fun, and I'd really prefer it if feints were an actual mix-up. But I guess that's not really the kind of game they're trying to make, or maybe they foolishly listened to people who complained about feints being "unfair" in Chivalry

By any actual mixup do you mean unreactable?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Basically yeah. I think I'd prefer if chambers were removed entirely and feint-attacks instead dealt only 2/3 of normal damage or something, making the gameplay like a mix of footsies and reading whether your opponent is going to do a normal attack or feint when he attacks, or whether he's going to parry or attack in response to your attack/feint. Since a normal attack would always be the strongest move available out of the three, focus would be on poking and spacing over Mordhau's very safe chamber-cancel-parry fest or Chivalry's volatile drag-feint-mixup fiesta.

I just don't think a game about mastering reactions is ever going to be that interesting to play at a high level. At least fighting game gameplay is mostly built on reads, muscle memory and spacing, and I'd rather see something more like that in Mordhau too. But as I said, that's clearly not really what the devs want to do and I respect that, I'm just personally disappointed. I think if they ever release mod tools for Mordhau, I might take some time to try to make a variant of the gameplay that I'd like to see personally.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I just say "i'm gay" in chat a bunch, which gets a good mix of replies

This is also me, but usually only get replies of “we know.” It’s hard to poo poo talk back to someone who’s typing I’m gay when he’s destroying everyone, but if they try I usually respond with “imagine not being gay in 2019”

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is also me, but usually only get replies of “we know.” It’s hard to poo poo talk back to someone who’s typing I’m gay when he’s destroying everyone, but if they try I usually respond with “imagine not being gay in 2019”

'i hosed your dad' is always a classic if you wanna just bamboozle some teen into shutting up

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

High level 1v1s often coming down to endurance is a side effect of Mordhau not really being a 1v1 game at heart

Captain Beans posted:

Like the problem with this is that if it's a 1vX, the X players could do nothing but throw unreactable lower damage feints or whatever and then the fight would always be determined by who has the most people

have you seen my baby fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 30, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

have you seen my baby posted:

High level 1v1s often coming down to endurance is a side effect of Mordhau not really being a 1v1 game at heart

Like the problem with this is that if it's a 1vX, the X players could do nothing but throw unreactable lower damage feints or whatever and then the fight would always be determined by who has the most people

Or the 1 guy, uses good foot movement sneaks towards one side which severely limits the other assailants attack choices, then stab-morphs a right swing and cuts through both guys.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Making anything unreactable would dramatically increase the difficulty of dealing with multiple opponents and the whole point of this game is "massive fight where you're constantly dealing with multiple opponents"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Maybe it would help if you treated the stamina bar as like a secondary health bar?

There's definitely mix-ups when you think of the game in this way. The safest reaction moves of chambers are pretty expensive to use.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The mix of the combat system is quite good in my opinion, I’m always able to identify why I die, it’s never just nebulous ‘bullshit’.

That’s pretty refreshing coming from For Honor, which I really do like, but it has a lot of problems. In For Honor there is a very bad balance between what is unreactable, what is too easily punished and how that leads to very defensive (boring) play.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Farm Frenzy posted:

did he say anything about making it more readable? i think all these weird mechanics would be fine if you could actually tell when theyre being used without carefully memorising animations for hours

He didn't. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking though, the animation for a stab drag is same as the animation for a stab, it's just that the tip of a weapon remains dangerous beyond the time it reaches the apex of its stab. You don't have to read it, it always exists in a stab, you just need to position yourself so as to avoid the weapon for a longer period of time than you think you might.

Parry, chamber, use footwork to get out of the way (further than you think you may need to based on the initial stab), or interrupt with an attack of your own. That's pretty much it. I don't mean to be a know-it-all jerk, but this is another one of those mechanics that people complain about that I believe they will look back on after playing a few more hours and wonder what they were worried about.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You can argue that it's definitely unintuitive though. I decided to mess around with it tonight and I stab dragged my sword through three dudes skulls. It's got some loving reach

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Horses suck and are ineffective.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/446515963

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

dogstile posted:

You can argue that it's definitely unintuitive though. I decided to mess around with it tonight and I stab dragged my sword through three dudes skulls. It's got some loving reach

I don't think I could argue against it not being intuitive, it could definitely use some explanation in the tutorial, I also think some weapons benefit from it more than they should, some of the bigger swords specifically. But nerfing stab dragging across the board would make both the Billhook and Poleaxe completely terrible, make the Estoc even less popular than it already is, and significantly hurt the Bastard Sword. None of those weapons need any kind of a nerf, and some of them are already on the razor's edge of being not viable as it is. (Viable in this case meaning, why would you take it over something else?)

Notice I didn't mention the Spear? Feel free to nerf it into the ground. People who use the spear are garbage human beings who are just killing time in melee between horse spawns.

It should also be pointed out that a nerf to stab dragging would be a HUGE buff to both shields and horses as stab-dragging is vital to taking both out.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 30, 2019

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

waraxe needs an alt, let me throw it like a maul

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I don't really see the concern for stab drag nerfing. It's not like Warband where you always have to block the appropriate direction. You can just throw up a parry and be safe, even if the direction its coming from is deceiving. In Warband, you feel kind of wronged when people drag and stab and you do a sideblock. That feels bad.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

I don't really see the concern for stab drag nerfing. It's not like Warband where you always have to block the appropriate direction. You can just throw up a parry and be safe, even if the direction its coming from is deceiving. In Warband, you feel kind of wronged when people drag and stab and you do a sideblock. That feels bad.

There's been a reddit campaign for nerfing it for awhile. They responded a couple of patches ago and reduced the window on some weapons by like 25 ms (I could be wrong about the specifics), but the hope was that small nerf would be enough to quell the vocal forum warriors of reddit and not completely destroy stabbing weapons.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

But you do have to react at least somewhat in the appropriate direction, especially with smaller weapons, and the whole advantage of stab dragging is that it effectively gives you a 90-degree angle attack from the side that is virtually unreactable. You're heavily underselling the advantages of this glitch to make it seem like a legitimate mechanic, and completely ignoring the basic concept of "if a core combat mechanic is weak then buff it, don't break it in a different way that bypasses other core combat mechanics".

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

McSpanky posted:

But you do have to react at least somewhat in the appropriate direction, especially with smaller weapons, and the whole advantage of stab dragging is that it effectively gives you a 90-degree angle attack from the side that is virtually unreactable. You're heavily underselling the advantages of this glitch to make it seem like a legitimate mechanic, and completely ignoring the basic concept of "if a core combat mechanic is weak then buff it, don't break it in a different way that bypasses other core combat mechanics".

It's completely a core mechanic and it's meant to be there, as confirmed by the Devs. I have this feeling like people are not talking about the same thing.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Started using the longsword last night and something just 'clicked' and now I'm regularly getting around 20 kills a game where I previously would be hitting high single digits if I was lucky. I don't think it's anything to do with the longsword really, I think I've just internalised better positioning and situational awareness for Frontlines and panic a lot less (though still too much) in duels. I've fantastic way to get inside your opponents head is to refuse to engage in their wiggling, weaving, strafing in and out bullshit many opponents launch in to the second after you flourish and just stand still and wait for them to come to you - it seems to really frustrate people and they inevitably charge in and do something dumb and leave themselves open for a thrust to the head.

Having used the longsword a lot more now, I'm kind of bummed out about the poleaxe, it's a super cool weapon historically and I love the way it looks but I can't see why I'd ever take it over a longsword. The longsword is faster, has the same reach, and does comparable enough damage for a point less. I'd kind of like to see the devs bump the poleaxe point cost back up and tack on a little range.

Orv
May 4, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Stab dragging is A Thing, not some glitch people are exploiting.

Also I feel like its readability is something you can't really do something about with the current game or maybe even current video game tech because of how a player model moves on an axis instead of stepping into or out of the drag, so you basically just spin into it, making it harder to read.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I was struggling to quickly find a video using tracers to show stab drags with tracers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhulD6Pp33g The stab drags start at around 1:26.

I believe this video was made before the patch where they adjusted the drag range down slightly, so the window is even tighter now.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mode 7 posted:

Having used the longsword a lot more now, I'm kind of bummed out about the poleaxe, it's a super cool weapon historically and I love the way it looks but I can't see why I'd ever take it over a longsword. The longsword is faster, has the same reach, and does comparable enough damage for a point less. I'd kind of like to see the devs bump the poleaxe point cost back up and tack on a little range.

Doesn't the pole axe have 2 hit kill stabs on heavy armor? I know the longsword can't do that. I am surprised to see the range on thrust is the same though. Maybe the poleax could get more stamina damage, as it is a much heavier weapon than the longsword.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Stab dragging is an intentional mechanic and not a glitch lmao

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

have you seen my baby posted:

Stab dragging is an intentional mechanic and not a glitch lmao

anything that kills me is a glitch or more likely an exploit and if the devs want this game to ever have a positive explerience for new players they need to do something about it, ignoring the concerns of the community is a slap in the face

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

How do I fix my "High Ping" which stays at a constant 124 when matchmaking. The game doesn't seem to be stuttering or anything so I'm kinda confused. Is there some graphics setting I should turn down in particular?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

How do I fix my "High Ping" which stays at a constant 124 when matchmaking. The game doesn't seem to be stuttering or anything so I'm kinda confused. Is there some graphics setting I should turn down in particular?

Connect to closer servers. Generally non-official servers tend to have a larger range of pings, at least for me. Ping is only related to network latency, nothing to do with your system performance.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

hakimashou posted:

anything that kills me is a glitch or more likely an exploit and if the devs want this game to ever have a positive explerience for new players they need to do something about it, ignoring the concerns of the community is a slap in the face

It is kind of confusing though, to argue about such a high skill ceiling and then include a point and click death ray like the ballista.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Connect to closer servers. Generally non-official servers tend to have a larger range of pings, at least for me. Ping is only related to network latency, nothing to do with your system performance.

Thats what I though too, but this post kinda makes it seem like it might be more? https://mordhau.com/forum/comment/187114/find/

I mean, I'm doing matchmaking which I assume is only official servers, and only in my region which is US West.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

cerebral posted:

There's been a reddit campaign for nerfing it for awhile. They responded a couple of patches ago and reduced the window on some weapons by like 25 ms (I could be wrong about the specifics), but the hope was that small nerf would be enough to quell the vocal forum warriors of reddit and not completely destroy stabbing weapons.

Wasn't that patch about a different issue? IIRC that was because a thrust's active frames start almost immediately after the feinting point-of-no-return, meaning it's incredibly difficult to react to a late thrusting feint at short range. Which is why they delayed the active frames by those 25 ms.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
haven't played in quite a while are people still looking at your feet and violently swing their torsos up and down to morph spam

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Wasn't that patch about a different issue? IIRC that was because a thrust's active frames start almost immediately after the feinting point-of-no-return, meaning it's incredibly difficult to react to a late thrusting feint at short range. Which is why they delayed the active frames by those 25 ms.

I'd swear that I heard Jax say that this had the practical effect of reducing the stab drag distance, but it's not in the patch notes, and I can't easily find it in any of his archived streams. My memory sucks though, especially for things I'm only half listening to, so there is every chance in the world I'm wrong.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

queef anxiety posted:

haven't played in quite a while are people still looking at your feet and violently swing their torsos up and down to morph spam

it still happens in duel servers but the drag scaling nerf seems to have curbed it a little bit. I haven't seen it at all in any other game mode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

cerebral posted:

It's completely a core mechanic and it's meant to be there, as confirmed by the Devs.

That's dumb as hell and only proves they didn't try to test, or likely even conceive of, any alternatives to turning stabs into a waiving magic wand of death.

hakimashou posted:

Ah yes the concerns of the community full of racists homophobes and cheaters who wouldn't shed a single tear if the Chivalry 2.0 patch came out tomorrow

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 1, 2019

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

It's only a magic death wand if you don't bother counterplaying it

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

Is the idea that all of the attacks in this game are tracer based really that confusing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

cerebral posted:

If they actually made one of these games the way these people want it, there would be no way to hit a person who wants to sit back and parry. It'd just be two guys hammering at each other's parry because that's what these people find cool. Mordhau is already getting a little bit into that territory so I'm glad they're at least not making it worse about that.

comedyblissoption posted:

Maybe it would help if you treated the stamina bar as like a secondary health bar?

There's definitely mix-ups when you think of the game in this way. The safest reaction moves of chambers are pretty expensive to use.

The problem is that stamina isn't really balanced out as a resource. It regenerates very quickly, and the minute differences between stamina usage or stamina loss on block just make it a weird mechanic to base your game around. You can't really know when your opponent has more stamina than you, you can only really guess and estimate. Not to mention that it just isn't fun to hit someone for the express purpose of depleting their stamina. I mean yeah, you can make a game about fighting over stamina, but why? Why would you want that? The game is obviously better suited for health being the primary resource as there are multiple ways to carefully track it, control it and make decisions based on it.

I also think trying to neuter mix-ups is a futile goal in a game like this. No matter how hard you try to make all attacks fair and reactable, there's always going to be some weird as gently caress mouse movement or jump-accel you can do to make your attack unreadable, at which point you've failed to do anything besides make existing game mechanics largely unusable in favor of janky bullshit. Like sure, they'll nerf stab drags because they look stupid and are strong, then a week later some dude has figured out a newer, even stupider way to get through chamber cancelling. I'd say it would be best to level the playing field and make feints essentially unreactable to begin with so that people don't have to try to cheese each other to death with weird mouse macros or some other poo poo like that