Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Life is like a hurricane here in Duckburg
Race cars, lasers, aeroplanes, it's a duck blur!
Might solve a mystery, or drive a race car!
Race Cars! Whoo ooh!
Every day they're out there driving
Race Cars! Whoo ooh!
Tales of riding also driving race cars! Whoo-ooh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Griefing the Ducktales MMO was amazing and i wish the servers were still up.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
The thing with Spider-Man in 2 is that they've all seen his face, however they've all had their lives saved by him. The passengers know what this guy looks like, and can easily spread around word if they see him on the street, but they respect him too much because of what he did for them, therefore they won't reveal him.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Xenoletum posted:

The thing with Spider-Man in 2 is that they've all seen his face, however they've all had their lives saved by him. The passengers know what this guy looks like, and can easily spread around word if they see him on the street, but they respect him too much because of what he did for them, therefore they won't reveal him.

While I do love Spider-Man 2, that scene cemented the movie as one of the all-time greats.
Just one little nudge and it would have been a sappy mess. Instead we get appreciation, wonder and respect.
It rules.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
And even better after everyone discovers the power of love, Dr Oc comes back up and stomps their asses like an angry Bostonian with a baseball bat getting squished by Godzilla.

Super villains ain’t got time for sentimentality.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

like an angry Bostonian with a baseball bat getting squished by Godzilla.

gently caress, did I miss that in the new one? He does go to Boston.

Phy has a new favorite as of 00:16 on Jun 8, 2019

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Krispy Wafer posted:

And even better after everyone discovers the power of love, Dr Oc comes back up and stomps their asses like an angry Bostonian with a baseball bat getting squished by Godzilla.

Super villains ain’t got time for sentimentality.

Doc Ock was a tragic figure.

I'd say tragic hero but his machine didn't work, so he's basically just a bank-robber/terrorist.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
HBO's Chernobyl is an awesome piece of story telling. If you haven't watched it, you should.

Anyway, this is subtle costuming detail.

I studied Russian language and lit in college. I had a lot of Russian professors and instructors, and met quite a few Russian expats. Also, I've also done some jewelry making, so I notice rings...

Russians* wear their wedding ring on their right ring finger. And they are always thin, plain, gold bands.** This is the first clear shot of one that I found, but it's the same throughout the series. Something like this could easily be overlooked by a westerner. poo poo, even a Russian costumer might not notice.

*I assume Belorussians and Ukrainians too, don't know for sure.
**My hunch is that is related to soviet era scarcity or precious metals and the fact that DeBeers couldn't advertise there. (Diamonds are a con, don't @ me.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

deoju posted:

HBO's Chernobyl is an awesome piece of story telling. If you haven't watched it, you should.

Anyway, this is subtle costuming detail.

I studied Russian language and lit in college. I had a lot of Russian professors and instructors, and met quite a few Russian expats. Also, I've also done some jewelry making, so I notice rings...

Russians* wear their wedding ring on their right ring finger. And they are always thin, plain, gold bands.** This is the first clear shot of one that I found, but it's the same throughout the series. Something like this could easily be overlooked by a westerner. poo poo, even a Russian costumer might not notice.

*I assume Belorussians and Ukrainians too, don't know for sure.
**My hunch is that is related to soviet era scarcity or precious metals and the fact that DeBeers couldn't advertise there. (Diamonds are a con, don't @ me.)

I desperately wish I could watch it just given all the great attention to detail I've heard described, but unfortunately it got snapped up in Australia by our main cable company, who suck.

My favorite thing I've heard, just because it's such a stunning thing to do with a movie set in a culture different to both the production and the audience, is that they have a character that's based specifically on how Russians characterize people from the country of Georgia (he's played by a Lebanese actor, because apparently he looks more like 'how Russians picture Georgians' than actual Georgians). That's such an insane level of effort to go to that the vast majority of the audience would never get.

Given how just a few days ago there was talk somewhere in PYF, I think the Idiots on Social Media thread, about how translations handle regional dialects, and this seemed like several steps above and beyond that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I appreciate that they didn't try to shoehorn fake Russian/Ukrainian/etc. accents in. Everyone just speaks whatever, so Legasov speaks very British English, the coal miner boss Glukhov has a Scottish accent and so on.

The attention to detail in the sets and costumes is absolutely amazing, but they did miss a few very minor things. People in the Soviet Union didn't go around calling each other "comrade" all the time, and most of the soldier hold their weapons NATO-style (stock in the crook of the shoulder), rather than Soviet-style (across the chest).

But those are incredibly minor niggles over my favorite TV show of 2019 by a huge margin.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Cleretic posted:

I desperately wish I could watch it just given all the great attention to detail I've heard described, but unfortunately it got snapped up in Australia by our main cable company, who suck.

Just download it like 99% of the rest of our country

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

KozmoNaut posted:

People in the Soviet Union didn't go around calling each other "comrade" all the time

The writer specifically brought this up in the first BTS podcast they did. He said that he originally didn't have them saying it much because he thought it sounded silly and unrealistic. But then a friend who lived in the USSR told him that, yes, they did use comrade all the time.

Different experiences maybe?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

KozmoNaut posted:

I appreciate that they didn't try to shoehorn fake Russian/Ukrainian/etc. accents in. Everyone just speaks whatever, so Legasov speaks very British English, the coal miner boss Glukhov has a Scottish accent and so on.

The attention to detail in the sets and costumes is absolutely amazing, but they did miss a few very minor things. People in the Soviet Union didn't go around calling each other "comrade" all the time, and most of the soldier hold their weapons NATO-style (stock in the crook of the shoulder), rather than Soviet-style (across the chest).

But those are incredibly minor niggles over my favorite TV show of 2019 by a huge margin.

They talk about this in The Chernobyl Podcast - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHPCYtWYQ
Still listening through it, they most likely talk about more of what you mention and more.

Also worth mentioning Death of Stalin did this and worked super well. History Buffs youtuber talks about how it's great cause the USSR encompassing an extremely large landmass of course has a plethora of dialects/accents. Stalin's actor having a cockney accent as well set him apart like the actual Stalin who had a thick Georgian accent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

1stGear posted:

The writer specifically brought this up in the first BTS podcast they did. He said that he originally didn't have them saying it much because he thought it sounded silly and unrealistic. But then a friend who lived in the USSR told him that, yes, they did use comrade all the time.

Different experiences maybe?

Quite possibly, the USSR encompassed a large area and a lot of different cultures. I haven't checked out the podcast yet, I really should do that.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

deoju posted:

Russians* wear their wedding ring on their right ring finger. And they are always thin, plain, gold bands.**

The right-ring-finger detail is an excellent catch, but the default wedding band the world over is a thin, plain, gold band. You're thinking of engagement rings, which are (again, traditionally) an entirely different beast, (traditionally) worn only by women.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Russia is salty :lol:

Russia to create its own Chernobyl series that blames CIA for disaster

quote:

Director Alexei Muradov justified the story by citing a conspiracy theory that says an enemy intelligence agent was on site on the day of the explosion, the Moscow Times reported.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

way to revela uv no loving comrades I guess lol

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Cocktail: When he pours, he reigns.

Great line, bad movie.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jedit posted:

Because that wasn't a tagline I ever saw for it. The tagline on every poster and advert I saw was "If you're from Moorehigh and you get sick, Fall on your knees and pray you die quick". I remember this only because it was so loving lame.

I did. The one tagline I didn't see was "The Doctor is In...sane!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was thinking how Emmet's answer for everything in The Lego Movie's finale and a lot of 2 is to build a giant robot, which is of course correct and cool and good, and actually brings to mind that several characters seem to have a preference for what they build; Emmet likes fantastic takes on mundane things but particularly building giant robots out of them in a fight, Wyldstyle seems to prefer wheeled vehicles and especially motorcycles, and of course Benny loves spaceships. That all makes sense, though; Emmet is a construction worker, it's literally his job to operate construction equipment and to build houses, Wyldstyle wears biker leathers and generally has some stylings from Lego's extreme sports inspired lines, and Benny and Batman (and most of the one-note characters) go without saying. It's not the most subtle thing still notable especially since the whole Master Builder mythology doesn't play as big a part in the sequel.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In Silence of the Lambs when Jame Gumb is shot he kind of looks like a dying bug laying on his back with the night vision googles. Maybe a callback to the moth themes?

In the final scene I just noticed Dr Chilton asks his host how good the security is there. I never caught the details of the exchange before.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Inzombiac posted:

While I do love Spider-Man 2, that scene cemented the movie as one of the all-time greats.
Just one little nudge and it would have been a sappy mess. Instead we get appreciation, wonder and respect.
It rules.

What I like in Spider-Man 1 was Jameson is of course, presented as an obnoxious jerk, but when the Goblin attacks the Bugle and threatens his life, JJJ still won't sell out Parker. He protects his sources.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Please sign my petition to have JK Simmons' JJJ in the MCU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

RandomFerret posted:

Please make a petition and then have all the comic book Twitter/blog/podcast goons circulate it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RandomFerret posted:

According to rumors/early revieuws he is

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Go full stupid and cast Tobey Maguire

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zedd posted:

According to rumors/early revieuws he is

Don't play with my feelings like this

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
JK Simmons is kinda old. Going with the theme of this being a new generation's spider-man, it should be some young tech bro type.

Use that de-aging poo poo on Simmons.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
How about Jesse Eisenberg :V

If we’re recasting though, I think Brian Cranston would be a good fit.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

worst, but most entertaining JJJ option: Emo Philips

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Peanut Butler posted:

worst, but most entertaining JJJ option: Emo Philips

Gilbert Gotfreid.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Remulak posted:

Gilbert Gotfreid.

I'm sure you know that Gilbert Gottfried does not talk like that, normally.

It's a character he puts on.

There is no way anyone sounds like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3G3VH2jto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59WtH65qUMA

wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ykInjAUemc

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Jul 1, 2019

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Coffee And Pie posted:

If we’re recasting though, I think Brian Cranston would be a good fit.

JK is only a year older than Cranston, let’s keep JK.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
JK can be JJJ forever. We'll just keep retroconning the publisher to be older.

His son the astronaut, you mean...grandson?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I'm sure you know that Gilbert Gottfried does not talk like that, normally.

It's a character he puts on.

There is no way anyone sounds like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3G3VH2jto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59WtH65qUMA

wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ykInjAUemc

This is probably old news to you, and I can't find the clip where he does Seinfeld reading Hamlet ("To beeeee or not.... to be! I don't know whether to be or not... Who aaaare these people that be?") but this is drat good, and he (Gottfried) was the voice of Seinfeld in the short-lived Clerks cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOijurJ1nMc

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He was also part of the doomed '80-'81 SNL cast and never used the voice during that time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Krispy Wafer posted:

JK can be JJJ forever. We'll just keep retroconning the publisher to be older.

His son the astronaut, you mean...grandson?

You mean his great-nephew who solves mysteries with his twin sister?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You mean his great-nephew who solves mysteries with his twin sister?

The Edison Twins?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

minato posted:

The Edison Twins?

They look the same!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They look the same!

Y'know... no two days are quite the same; life is just a learning game.