Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm just saying that if companies want to restrict access to art then gently caress them, there's millions of other songs by other, better artists. The discography of the Beatles has already made billions, and yet they're grubbing for more.

So I repeat: gently caress 'em. Let their music fade into obscurity as boomers die off in droves.

Post/username combo of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm just saying that if companies want to restrict access to art then gently caress them, there's millions of other songs by other, better artists. The discography of the Beatles has already made billions, and yet they're grubbing for more.

So I repeat: gently caress 'em. Let their music fade into obscurity as boomers die off in droves.

Sometimes I wonder if this is a gimmick or if you really live like this every day.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

grittyreboot posted:

As they should be.

But if Tool was on streaming I'd listen to more Tool.

Unless you think that's a bad thing...?

They say their objection to putting their music in streaming is that they want people to listen to a whole album as opposed to just a single song in a mix, but I assume it actually has to do with giving any more money to their label.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Screaming Idiot posted:

:same:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
My god the twitter thread of all threads is full of bad takes. Who on earth could have seen this coming.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Screaming Idiot posted:

The 😷fact😷 that so many books 📚still name the 👦🏼👦🏻Beatles👦🏻👦🏼 as "the greatest ✔️or most significant💯 or most influential👍" rock🎸band ever only tells you how far➡️ rock 🎧🎧🎧music 🎧🎧 still is from becoming a serious art‼️‼️. Jazz🎷🎷🎺critics have long recognized 👀👀 that the greatest💯💯💯 jazz 👱🏿👶🏼👦🏿musicians 👦🏿👴🏿👳🏿of all times are Duke Ellington👴🏿 and John 👴🏿Coltrane, who were not the most famous 🙌or richest💷💶 or best sellers 💿of their times, let alone of all ⏰times⏰. Classical critics🎼🎹 rank🤔 the highly controversial Beethoven👴🏻🤘🤘 over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around 🇨🇭🇷🇴🇬🇷🇫🇷🇮🇪Europe🇱🇮🇮🇹🇩🇪🇩🇰🇵🇹. 🎸Rock🎸 critics are still 🙈🙈🙈blinded🙈🙈🙈 by commercial 😍😍😻success💶✔️😏. The Beatles💸 sold💸 more than anyone else (❌not❌true❌, by❌the❌way❌), therefore they must have been the greatest😶🙄😒. Jazz critics grow👶🏿👦🏿👴🏿 up 🎧🎧listening🎧🎧🎧to a lot of jazz music🎺🎺🎺🎷of the ⏪past⏪, classical critics grow 👶🏻👦🏻👴🏻 up 🎧🎧🎧listening🎧🎧🎧to a lot of classical 🎻🎻music of the ⏪⏪past⏪⏪. 🤘Rock critics🤘 are often totally ignorant😥😥❓❓ of the rock music 🎸of the past⏪, they barely know 😦the best sellers😕😞😒. 🔍No wonder🔍 they will 🤔think🤔 that the Beatles did ❗️anything ❗️worthy of being saved.😂😂😭😭😬

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
tbh all music ever is pathetic consumer trash and for the past 10 years ive exclusively listened to recordings of my own posts played at increasingly unpredictable pitch and tempo. anything less is groupthink.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Field recordings or gtfo

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Memento posted:

Field recordings or gtfo

Number Stations are where the real summer jams are.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

Field recordings or gtfo

Playing some Alan Lomax deep cuts on my boom box this summer

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
the beatles are cool and good, because despite being lowest common denominator pop boy-band poo poo; they manage to consistently avoid the modern pop boy-band standard of '3 chords all in their simplest forms, aggressively unsyncopated, verse verse chorus verse chorus, strictly diatonic harmony; and remain consistently non-trivial and moderately challenging to the listener
the beatles are never ever cookie cutter clones, even when they're doing simple stuff

fact of the matter is, most beatles songs, even the very poppy ones, have a degree of harmonic and rhythmic complexity far beyond almost every 'boy-band', and they even managed to do some fairly avante garde for their time and genre

if you think the beatles are just pop tripe equivalent to justin bieber, you don't understand music
I'm not saying you're wrong to dislike them, but if you can't differentiate the musicianship and song-writing between the two, you're just ignorant of how music works in general and that's sad

akin to describing captain beefheart as 'just noise'

tl;dr drop some acid until the beatles make sense, it worked for me

TheMaskedUgly has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Jul 1, 2019

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
goons sincerely trying to defend the Beatles as objectively good because their music is "complex"... :allears:

when someone says they don't like the Mona Lisa, that's when I break out the ruler to objectively prove that it's good art

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

I'm sad that someone would unironically feel this way about music
What a waste

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

beatles bad

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

TheMaskedUgly posted:

I'm sad that someone would unironically feel this way about music
What a waste

i just think it's hilarious that some people get so annoyed that other people like different art from them that they try to "prove" the quality of the art they like with FACTS and LOGIC (tm)

fwiw i don't particularly enjoy Beatles on acid either, it's almost as if their music is less interesting in 2019 than it was in the 60s, and their status as the legendary best band ever is largely a product of boomer cultural hegemony

felch me daddy jr. has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Jul 1, 2019

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

You're the guy who looks at a Mondrian and goes 'it's just some stripes and 3 colours you pretentious twats, the emperor has no clothes, i am very smart'

I very explicitly said that it's not a question of if you like the beatles; it's that if you can't differentiate them from contemporary pop, that is a failure on your part to identify the grammar and syntax of music; you reveal yourself to have an unrefined musical sense

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
There is only one correct opinion, and that is that 3/4 of the beatles are good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DontMockMySmock posted:

There is only one correct opinion, and that is that 3/4 of the beatles are good.

Paul, George and Ringo? I agree.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
can we at least all agree that yellow submarine is one of the twentieth century's greatest films

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They literally just put their stuff up on Spotify... the 11th, it was longer ago than I thought, so like under three weeks ago.

just in case anyone else wants to listen to some KC :shobon:

I should try them again. I always seem to bounce off of prog in general hard, despite liking the occasional song or record.

Dethanc
May 22, 2005
https://twitter.com/edatlin/status/863695958424539136
https://twitter.com/edatlin/status/863999511743545345
https://twitter.com/edatlin/status/865393334952394753
https://twitter.com/edatlin/status/866142977059569664

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

nankeen posted:

can we at least all agree that yellow submarine is one of the twentieth century's greatest films

I really hate that song, ngl

e: quoted the wrong post

TheMaskedUgly has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Jul 1, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

These are awful. Just terrible.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

TheMaskedUgly posted:

You're the guy who looks at a Mondrian and goes 'it's just some stripes and 3 colours you pretentious twats, the emperor has no clothes, i am very smart'

I very explicitly said that it's not a question of if you like the beatles; it's that if you can't differentiate them from contemporary pop, that is a failure on your part to identify the grammar and syntax of music; you reveal yourself to have an unrefined musical sense

Ah, if you think I'm one of those right-wing "art i don't understand is garbage" types then I get where you're coming from, but I can assure you that's not my stance. I just get easily annoyed by people who are snobby about art. No one here was saying there's literally no difference between Beatles and Bieber, just that they're part of the same genre, a genre which has evolved over time. You trying to extol the technical proficiency of the Beatles' work in an attempt to distance them from contemporary (aka bad) pop music does not meaningfully refute that, and seems to veer dangerously close to "technical complexity is the same as quality" territory.

Sorry about contributing further to the derail, I just watched Yesterday the other day.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

felch me daddy jr. posted:

"technical complexity is the same as quality"

We were just talking about prog rock, yeah.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

felch me daddy jr. posted:

I just get easily annoyed by people who are snobby about art. No one here was saying there's literally no difference between Beatles and Bieber, just that they're part of the same genre, a genre which has evolved over time. You trying to extol the technical proficiency of the Beatles' work in an attempt to distance them from contemporary (aka bad) pop music does not meaningfully refute that, and seems to veer dangerously close to "technical complexity is the same as quality" territory.

Someone was literally directly equating Bieber and the Beatles

quote:

gently caress their dull-rear end boyband nonsense, they're the Justin Biebers of their era.

The salient issue for me here is that the comparison to Bieber, and the general derogatory nature of the term 'pop-band' is essentially the idea that pop music is simple, unchallenging, lowest-common-denominator garbage, with minimal artistic value or integrity.
I'm countering this with the observation that the beatles are not simple or unchallenging, but are rather deliberately, deceptively complex, and the unusual (for the genre) complexity of their music is itself a mark in their favour; it reveals a passion for the craft that is simply absent from mass-produced contemporary pop-music.

Just as an example, I think you'd struggle to find even one Bieber song that is not in 4/4 time; where-as a song like 'happiness is a warm gun' changes time signatures 6 times in the first minute; playing with the listeners expectations of how 4/4 should sound, by loving you with bars of 6/4, and 5/4; before subverting it with the same thing, but in triplet feel; throwing it into alternating 9/8, 10(?!)/8.
This isn't 'complicated for the sake of complicated'; this is purposeful rhythmic complexity, coming from a firm understanding of the theory, that meaningfully and deliberately messes with your time sense; that you can really feel.

Your comment that they are the same genre, and the genre has evolved is accurate. My issue is that it has measurably devolved; almost all of the negative qualities we assosciate with pop music generally, are qualities the beatles do not actually have. The beatles, by every measure I have that is not entirely subjective, are 'better' than any contemporary pop act; they have academic value, I am a better musician for having studied the academic works that have been published on them.

It's not snobby to say there is a meaningful artistic difference between a Jackson Pollack, and me tripping and spilling paint on a canvas; if someone points at a Pollack and says 'my kid does that every day', that is not a mark against the art work, it is just the viewer revealing their ignorance of the craft.
This is a different question to 'do you like Pollack', or 'is Pollack good'.

TheMaskedUgly has a new favorite as of 12:07 on Jul 1, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1145635945586352130

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Beatles put out a couple of albums of very important and influential creative pop songs and 200 generic boy band songs that people pretend are just as good.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

I should probably clarify that a lot of beatles songs are just shite, absolute irredeemable garbage

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I have no strong opinions about music.

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1144730404055707648

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

for a second I thought this is a really on-point tweet from the guy that starred in Taxi

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

I should try them again. I always seem to bounce off of prog in general hard, despite liking the occasional song or record.

King Crimson is a hard band because sometimes they make mind-blowing awesome stuff and sometimes they make what just sounds like random noise. Like if you understand music well you can tell how complex it is, but it still doesn't sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhKJgqxNDD8

This is the best example of it. Starts out gorgeous, ends with a lot of dissonant solos and three drummers all fighting for dominance.

That's why my prog tends to stick to Rush. Unusual time signatures and lots of instruments, but it actually comes together into a coherent whole instead of complexity for the sake of complexity.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

All Tool songs sound the same and Maynard was twice accused of rape last year. He pretty much put out a statement saying "no I didn't" and the world just decided that was enough and moved on.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Untrustable posted:

All Tool songs sound the same and Maynard was twice accused of rape last year. He pretty much put out a statement saying "no I didn't" and the world just decided that was enough and moved on.

He’s an insufferable piece of poo poo and Tool is pretentious for the sake of being pretentious. gently caress Maynard and gently caress Tool. Ooooh our music is so important it can’t be on any streaming service! Now here’s every song by my side projects...

This coming from a guy who owned multiple Tool shirts back in high school.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Hmmm, for some reason I misread the title of this thread as 'Post good tweets' instead of 'Post your edgy opinions about music itt please'.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

shut up blegum posted:

Hmmm, for some reason I misread the title of this thread as 'Post good tweets' instead of 'Post your edgy opinions about music itt please'.

The Twitter thread has captured the zeitgeist of Twitter in that people who's personalities start with "abrasive" and end with "abrasive" are now steering the ship and telling you their thoughts 240 characters at a time. It's kinda poetic, really.

Anyways, here's a tweet i like

https://twitter.com/wybmf/status/1145401030747795456

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

shut up blegum posted:

More like the Beatless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/ragbonehair/status/1145074111481335808