Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

1stGear posted:

This is probably the important thing. A lot of people will only interact with a small number of elderly people in their lives: their parents and grandparents. And if you're lucky (like I was with both sets of grandparents), they'll all pass still relatively mentally intact. So you never get a picture of the full horror that is dementia.

I've worked in healthcare the last few years and the opinion of every colleague that I've asked is that they were going to off themselves the moment their mind started going.

This is a point in Amour, by Michael Haneke. It is about an elderly Parisian couple where the woman has a stroke, after which she makes her husband promise her to not let her go to the hospital again, because she doesn't want to die in a hospital.
The husband has a conflict with his daughter, who visits them occasionally, but is unable to understand the enormity of the burden her father has to deal with.

Ending spoiler (don't read, just watch it, it's extremely good): When she is far gone, her husband sits by her bed, telling her a story, then smothers her with a pillow. He leaves the house to go buy flowers, puts them around her bed and leaves again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

1stGear posted:

Should probably make sure it has a DNR then.

Fun anecdote, when my grandfather asked his doctor about having a DNR and asked for a form to get everything sorted, the doctor made a mistake and made him fill in and sign a form requesting euthanasia (which is legal to some extent where I live). Luckily it was quickly rectified.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

teen witch posted:

As an adult it’s like PMS’s bitchy cousin, and falling into the cycle of feel like I gotta pee all the time -> can’t pee at all because it hurts to pee -> still gotta pee anyway, pain or not. It’s a brain body disconnect that I think does my head in, like my brain knows “can’t pee, hurts to pee, there is no liquid in my body to pre” and my body is slamming down on that “PISS” button uncontrollably.

That's the best description of a UTI I've seen so far. When I used to get them, I'd end up going through a lot of cranberry juice since that apparently helps the urinary tract shed the infected cells. Still was hell to go through until it was over.

Gum posted:

a vagina will get a uti if you look at it funny

I've heard so many reasons why they happen from drinking too many sugary drinks to slacking on hygiene. I just know I used to get them fairly often when I was with my ex-husband. Haven't had a one since we split up.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

Fun anecdote, when my grandfather asked his doctor about having a DNR and asked for a form to get everything sorted, the doctor made a mistake and made him fill in and sign a form requesting euthanasia (which is legal to some extent where I live). Luckily it was quickly rectified.

I would probably find a new doctor after that.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
years ago when i went on prozac, not only did it not cure my depression but it dried out my vagina so completely that it felt like the inside of a paper envelope. possibly because of this i developed constant, raging utis. i'd treat one, it would disappear, and two days later i'd get another. the side-effects of prozac put me in a mental haze anyway, and add to that the utis and the fact that it was summer and i had no air-conditioning and i was basically delirious for three months straight. during this time i became inexplicably obsessed with joni mitchell's "song for sharon" which starts "i went to staten island, sharon, to buy myself a mandolin". it occurred to me that i should buy a mandolin. i'd never played the mandolin in my life and i had absolutely no money but in my deranged state it became my one and only mission to find a mandolin. i went to every single second-hand store in the sydney cbd and for some reason not one of them had a mandolin to sell me - there were thousands of ukeleles, one store had an old-timey medieval lute, another one had a sitar, but i didn't want a lute or a sitar, i wanted a loving mandolin. the only music store in central sydney had just gone out of business and shut down (it reopened six weeks later) and the only place i could find that sold mandolins was 1.5 hours' bus ride away in a suburb i'd never visited. nevertheless i was determined and so i got on the bus, inexplicably dressed in a frilly white nightgown, walking like a drunk because my current uti made it impossibly painful to put my thighs together, and i rode all the way to the north shore, spent $240 on a mandolin, and rode all the way back (three hours in total). the bus driver on the way back said "that's one of them mandalongs" and i didn't correct him. i was dropped off in a street in the cbd i'd never been to before. normally i know my way around sydney instinctively but as i said before, deranged state, and somehow i got completely lost. so that is how i ended up staggering around the sydney cbd in a nightgown at peak hour, carrying a mandolin. shortly after this i decided the side-effects were officially too much and went off the prozac, which i have never regretted. the utis stopped instantly. i still have the mandolin, it is under my bed to this day and i have never been able to play it

nankeen has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Jul 1, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

nankeen posted:

years ago when i went on prozac, not only did it not cure my depression but it dried out my vagina so completely that it felt like the inside of a paper envelope. possibly because of this i developed constant, raging utis. i'd treat one, it would disappear, and two days later i'd get another. the side-effects of prozac put me in a mental haze anyway, and add to that the utis and the fact that it was summer and i had no air-conditioning and i was basically delirious for three months straight. during this time i became inexplicably obsessed with joni mitchell's "song for sharon" which starts "i went to staten island, sharon, to buy myself a mandolin". it occurred to me that i should buy a mandolin. i'd never played the mandolin in my life and i had absolutely no money but in my deranged state it became my one and only mission to find a mandolin. i went to every single second-hand store in the sydney cbd and for some reason not one of them had a mandolin to sell me - there were thousands of ukeleles, one store had an old-timey medieval lute, another one had a sitar, but i didn't want a lute or a sitar, i wanted a loving mandolin. the only music store in central sydney had just gone out of business and shut down (it reopened six weeks later) and the only place i could find that sold mandolins was 1.5 hours' bus ride away in a suburb i'd never visited. nevertheless i was determined and so i got on the bus, inexplicably dressed in a frilly white nightgown, walking like a drunk because my current uti made it impossibly painful to put my thighs together, and i rode all the way to the north shore, spent $240 on a mandolin, and rode all the way back (three hours in total). the bus driver on the way back said "that's one of them mandalongs" and i didn't correct him. i was dropped off in a street in the cbd i'd never been to before. normally i know my way around sydney instinctively but as i said before, deranged state, and somehow i got completely lost. so that is how i ended up staggering around the sydney cbd in a nightgown at peak hour, carrying a mandolin. shortly after this i decided the side-effects were officially too much and went off the prozac, which i have never regretted. i still have the mandolin, it is under my bed to this day and i have never been able to play it

Ladies and gentlemen, the nullarbor nymph

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Radar posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, the nullarbor nymph
it was definitely a time

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

My grandfather passed away in his late 80s with pretty severe dementia. Before he went into full time care he'd frequently think he was a child still and always wonder when the dance would be over so he could go home. He'd randomly yell out "who's there?" and "why are they upstairs still?" which was rather alarming since they lived out in a a very rural old farmhouse that was very creepy at night.

He was a monster of a man with a dark past, though, and it was very strange seeing him go from someone I was terrified to make eye contact with through my whole life to this frail person unable to stand calling out for his mother. He had been very smart and clever with great skill at carpentry and building in general. He turned an old school bus into a motor home full of interesting little touches to make things work that he thought up himself. Seeing him change from this extremely capable and towering person who built a large farm out of basically nothing to this tiny thing barely able to move, swallowed up by the recliner chair that was once his throne he expected us to sit silently around as he was waited on felt so strange.

About a year before he died but was very mentally gone I went to see him with a sibling who got the worst of his behavior growing up. It didn't come to light until he'd already started to decline mentally and as it went with other relatives who sided with him he never was truly confronted about it. I was really nervous and unsure about this visit happening but went along in case some intervention was needed.

When I arrived with my sibling he was curled up in his little bed in a little room unaware of anything and not too responsive to my greeting. Then when he turned over enough to see my sibling next to me, who then introduced them self after no contact for many years, he said "oh, it's you".

A couple small things were then said in making acquaintances and then he was told "things have been very difficult" followed with being asked "do you remember what you did?".

He went quiet and looked away. He replied with "we both have sore thumbs, like when you miss the nail and hammer it instead, but you weren't swinging the hammer". A few more things were said to him about the pain he caused and my sibling mentioned stories of a rough childhood my grandfather had. He said it was rough as well as a few more things about regret. My sibling then said they forgive him and was trying hard to be a good parent and not let such things happen again. It was quite the contrast to how things had been growing up. It turned out to be a warm and nice moment that was really a good release for pent up anger and hurt.

A few more simple things were discussed and caught up on as we talked about the carpentry skill he had and some silly memories from family picnics, like a watermelon seed fight that he also recalled. Then like a switch was thrown suddenly he complained about someone else in the room and not knowing where he was or who we were. He started to act afraid wanting to go home, referring to things about where he grew up in the next state over. My sibling went out and I helped him get into a different position on his bed where he shortly later fell asleep. I only visited him a few more times after that and never again had a coherent conversation. Other family members said the same thing.

Dementia is one hell of a thing for sure.

AzureSkys has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Jul 1, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

teen witch posted:

As a kid it was the pain and the confusion as to what the hell was going on why is my body doing this.

As an adult it’s like PMS’s bitchy cousin, and falling into the cycle of feel like I gotta pee all the time -> can’t pee at all because it hurts to pee -> still gotta pee anyway, pain or not. It’s a brain body disconnect that I think does my head in, like my brain knows “can’t pee, hurts to pee, there is no liquid in my body to pre” and my body is slamming down on that “PISS” button uncontrollably. It is incredibly physically exhausting, and I’m so glad I haven’t had one since my abortion, weirdly enough.

Yeowch. I have a better understanding now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You should play that mandolin.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

That's the best description of a UTI I've seen so far. When I used to get them, I'd end up going through a lot of cranberry juice since that apparently helps the urinary tract shed the infected cells. Still was hell to go through until it was over.

I've heard so many reasons why they happen from drinking too many sugary drinks to slacking on hygiene. I just know I used to get them fairly often when I was with my ex-husband. Haven't had a one since we split up.

They can also happen due to physical size/shape of partner, sometimes certain shaped penises just push germs into certain shaped urethras better.

Also, if you want to do the cranberry thing, it has to be JUST pressed cranberry juice - no sugar added. It’s bitter as hell and does not taste good. Anything ocean spray or cranberry cocktail or something from a soda gun is not going to help. You may already know that, but lots of people don’t.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

They can also happen due to physical size/shape of partner, sometimes certain shaped penises just push germs into certain shaped urethras better.

Also, if you want to do the cranberry thing, it has to be JUST pressed cranberry juice - no sugar added. It’s bitter as hell and does not taste good. Anything ocean spray or cranberry cocktail or something from a soda gun is not going to help. You may already know that, but lots of people don’t.

Cranberry extract can help as well but yes, avoid all sugars don’t even THINK of the concept of sugar. And yeah, sometimes it’s just bad body geometry that causes UTIs, that’s what I think it is with me.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

He may or may not have been getting antibiotic kickbacks but the last doctor I saw about a uti said the cranberry thing also has little evidence to support it and don't do it if it's going to make you delay getting antibiotics, fwiw to thread readers

The last uti I had, I tried stopping drinking so I could stop peeing long enough to get to the clinic, so my body helpfully started filling my bladder with blood instead D:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

What was it that made you unable to do it?

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to kill their own aunt.

I think it's a fair question. I'd be curious if I hadn't experienced it myself.

It's hard to explain, but it was just an internal feeling of very, very strong push back.

Part of it certainly was not wanting her to die, but part of it was also me hitting a sort of hard-stop, "this is not for you to do" line in the sand.

Like I said, hard to explain. I'm okay with it, but it just wasn't going to be me that did it.

a mysterious cloak has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Jul 1, 2019

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

a mysterious cloak posted:

I think it's a fair question. I'd be curious if I hadn't experienced it myself.

It's hard to explain, but it was just an internal feeling of very, very strong push back.

Part of it certainly was not wanting her to die, but part of it was also me hitting a sort of hard-stop, "this is not for you to do" line in the sand.

Like I said, hard to explain. I'm okay with it, but it just wasn't going to be me that did it.

Thank you for answering, I realized afterwards it was a pretty loaded question to ask. But when I was really young my paternal grandmother had extremely violent dementia and the task fell on my mother (nobody else in my father's family wanted to do it, so my dad basically shoved it on my mom) to take care of her and hearing the things that she had to go through - and then seeing my father go down the same path - has always made me wonder about this sort of thing. I honestly can't say I would be able to do it if I was asked for pretty much the same reasons you just mentioned, but... I can also see the appeal of asking someone to do it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

My dad died back in November with lung/ spread everywhere else cancer and the hospital’s strategy was to absolutely blast him with dilaudid and take him off ventilation. It took about 6 hours after the breathing mask came off. There’s obviously no way for me to know what if anything he experienced in those 6 hours, and I’ll be grateful to the hospice floor nurses for the rest of my life, but it was still relatively barbaric and if someone had put a .38 in my hand I would have done the job regardless of the personal consequences. Hopefully the overlords will throw us the bone of sane euthanasia laws soon

My dad went exactly this way, lungs filled with so many tumors that even pure oxygen wasn't helping. The hospital kept him on Versed, extubated him, and let him breathe regular room air. He passed in an artificial sleep in about 15 minutes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Homeschooled loner decides to build bunker network for use after war with North Korea. Correction: decides to hire somebody else to build the network.

It isn't a long story, so go read it yourself.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

AzureSkys posted:

He'd randomly yell out "who's there?" and "why are they upstairs still?" which was rather alarming since they lived out in a a very rural old farmhouse that was very creepy at night.

When I first started taking care of my patient I worked ten 24hr shifts with her while her family went on vacation.

Once, in the middle of the night, she woke me up in the guest room and took me to her room to "show me something."

As soon as she shut the door, she flipped the lights off. "The thing is back. The thing that drops down from the ceiling when I turn the lights off. It's right above you."

Turns out the "thing" was a fire alarm-- it had flashing red and green lights, and the colors made it look like it was moving around. So when she turned the lights off and looked up, it would appear to be a shadow dropping down toward her.

It doesn't help that her house is full of dolls that she moves around and doesn't remember moving.

Anyway after that week and a half I made sure that I only work day shifts.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
For unnerving, imagine that you're out in the garden, enjoying life - and a person's body lands a meter from you.

"Speaking to the BBC, a neighbour, who asked not to be identified, said the man fell a metre away from another resident who had been sunbathing in the garden.
He recalled hearing a "whomp", before discovering "blood all over the walls of the garden".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-02/body-of-aircraft-stowaway-london-garden-kenya-airways-flight/11269892

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

My dad died back in November with lung/ spread everywhere else cancer and the hospital’s strategy was to absolutely blast him with dilaudid and take him off ventilation. It took about 6 hours after the breathing mask came off. There’s obviously no way for me to know what if anything he experienced in those 6 hours,

Speaking from related experience, it's really not fun.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

My dad went exactly this way, lungs filled with so many tumors that even pure oxygen wasn't helping. The hospital kept him on Versed, extubated him, and let him breathe regular room air. He passed in an artificial sleep in about 15 minutes.

My dad died in his sleep from a heart attack. While it was shocking and tough to handle at the time, I'm still glad he went that way instead of having to suffer through something like this.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

M_Sinistrari posted:

According to my doctor & my experience backs this up, the #1 thing to do to avoid them is always pee immediately after sex.

IME, it also helps if you make sure he has showered recently. And sanitize your sex toys.

:themoreyouknow: (why isn't this on the smiley list)

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Jedit posted:

Come on dude.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
this thread makes me so glad i died instantly

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

:same:

Slightly unnerving experience today - gave a baby scheduled vaccines and he didn't cry at all because he's got severe neurological problems.

Poor buddy :(

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Jedit posted:

Not sure I needed to know that or asked but thanks

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

:same:

Slightly unnerving experience today - gave a baby scheduled vaccines and he didn't cry at all because he's got severe neurological problems.

Poor buddy :(

Could the positive be that he doesn't have fear/pain? Because that's kinda a blessing. Like, I want to think he's gonna at least not have a miserable life and his caregivers care enough to give him vaccinations :ohdear:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Scathach posted:

Could the positive be that he doesn't have fear/pain? Because that's kinda a blessing. Like, I want to think he's gonna at least not have a miserable life and his caregivers care enough to give him vaccinations :ohdear:

Not being able to feel pain is actually really, really bad.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I'm thinking if he has neurological damage that bad it's not just a no-pain response and he probably has a lot of other poo poo wrong too, so it might be better than him feeling the stuff that's wrong with him.

E oh boy that article really fits this thread, though.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Jul 4, 2019

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Scathach posted:

As noted above - no pain response is bad bad.

Mom is doing her best, he's a triplet and the siblings have similar deficits. We saw one of the siblings at the same time but no vaccines for him, and we see the third next week. The third one has already seen the pedi cardiologist and neurologist as he's got even more issues.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/TexasObserver/status/1146590700164640768?s=19

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
normal country

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

As noted above - no pain response is bad bad.

Mom is doing her best, he's a triplet and the siblings have similar deficits. We saw one of the siblings at the same time but no vaccines for him, and we see the third next week. The third one has already seen the pedi cardiologist and neurologist as he's got even more issues.

Well gently caress. Poor guys. That's just depressing but then I guess that's what this thread is for.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
At first I thought it was the dog that died then I remembered that this country considers dogs lives worth more than anyone they might bite

unless it's a cop

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

So this is a new one to me: the bodybuilder in Liverpool that likes to make young guys squat and touches their muscles. He was also banned from touching other people's muscles at one point.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akinwale_Arobieke

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Today I learned a fun new medical thing that I’d never heard of before, thanks to an E/N goon!

The Danger Triangle of the Face is an area of the face where venous communication and venous drainage between the facial blood vessels/sinus/brain can potentially cause infections from the nasal area to spread to the brain! This is one of the ways humans catch meningitis as well as a fun way to get a brain abscess.

As a person prone to secondary sinus infections every time I get a cold, this is absolutely great and I am just thrilled to know it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Today I learned a fun new medical thing that I’d never heard of before, thanks to an E/N goon!

The Danger Triangle of the Face is an area of the face where venous communication and venous drainage between the facial blood vessels/sinus/brain can potentially cause infections from the nasal area to spread to the brain! This is one of the ways humans catch meningitis as well as a fun way to get a brain abscess.

As a person prone to secondary sinus infections every time I get a cold, this is absolutely great and I am just thrilled to know it.

Stop cramming your tongue up people’s noses when you make out with them. Problem solved.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

Stop cramming your tongue up people’s noses when you make out with them. Problem solved.

You're not my dad!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pvt.Scott posted:

Stop cramming your tongue up people's noses when you make out with them. Problem solved.

Then what the gently caress would even be the point?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Well gently caress. I'm one of those people who has face tubes that don't drain right and I get sinus poo poo like once a year.