Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Finally made one that isn't a joke level. It's about being friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there any way we can delete/alter a code on the goon spreedsheet? I redid one of my levels but don't wanna upload a duplicate onto the sheet.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Random Stranger posted:

I asked myself, "What are everyone's three favorite kinds of Mario levels?" The answer was obvious: swimming stages, autoscrollers, and levels where you have to avoid something crushing you. What would happen if I combined all three? And so I give you

Volcanic Voyage
WGM-2WN-HNF

It's the only night castle themed level you will ever need.

(This is something like my fifth significant revision. The first one was beatable as long as you got small, danced on the edge of the lava, and got within a couple of frames of being crushed off the edge. See if you can spot the fixes that don't really work!)

It was pretty good! Not normally a fan of autoscrollers or water levels, but SMW versions of those stages were always fun so that brought that feeling back. I did feel some of the thwomps near the end combined with the rising lava made the last section very tight to get through without taking a hit (specifically, to get to the last safe spot before the pipe) but it didn't necessarily feel unfair. Good level overall.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any way we can delete/alter a code on the goon spreedsheet? I redid one of my levels but don't wanna upload a duplicate onto the sheet.

You can comment on the sheet, or here and I'll fix it for you.

e: Removed the old Deep Forest Deeps, BabyRyoga

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 1, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Salastine posted:

I've been going through the thread and playing levels as they're posted and this one had 0 plays. There are a few rough spots with Hammer Bros. but it was pretty fun (though I did cheat at the Bob-omb section by just blowing out the ice wall and reaching the exit pipe).

Once you get to the bob-ombs it's basically just a victory lap anyhow, you can take the fire flower and just blow through the hammer bros gauntlet (or just run past and facetank the hits), there's no major obstacles left at that point.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Random Stranger posted:

I liked the theming a lot, but there were some implementation problems. Getting up to the mouth was slow and as a result by the time I'm there most of the time at least one of the two hammer bros have dropped down to block the entrance. And with their hammers in water, they just become a wall. The first time you enter the stomach area, you cannot complete it due to delays in how things spawn. That makes the best solution collecting the star, running to the reset door, and then getting the key before that first star wears off. Just putting Bowser in the way with an infinite number of fireflowers is a pretty dull way to end things since you can't lose once you're there. There has to be some extra hook when you use Bowser as a boss fight; in this case the obvious path would be the rising swamp water which might force the player onto island during the fight.

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed the issue you mentioned with the stomach part but I was hoping it was just me not hitting the jump timing right. I'll tweak it.

You can outrace the water and make it in to the mouth before the water comes up, but there's also a hidden star before the hammer bros. If you don't use either, it's supposed to be a little annoying to get past them. I may still change it a bit though

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Phantasium posted:

You missed a gimmick in that level that I didn't catch until near the final screen and which is brilliant if you duck as if you're "praying", the holy light sound effect plays and illuminates the level, aka "holy light".

Went from a level where I was similarly irritated to one of my favorites so far.

This level was really cool since I knew the gimmick. (It was right on the edge of being too difficult, but turned out alright.) But yeah, SamFausr, the text should be more explicit. Maybe make an Indiana Jones reference and say something like "Only the penitent will see the way."

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Just finished a new stage: Dry Bone's Desert
5Y2-5DH-RLG

A desert NSMBU level, it's another traditional Mario stage. I mostly used this to experiment with See Saws, (how to use them to set up jumps, how they react with enemies on them etc), and also how to use a few enemies in many different ways like I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Intl Cron posted:

I'm really enjoying everyone's levels, and better yet, everyone's critiques! Thanks so much for the feedback - I'll keep working through the master Goon spreadsheet and the posts in this thread to contribute, as well.

I'm trying some of the "clear conditions," and I've really been enjoying the "Collect X of X coins" mechanic. It's a nice way to make coins feel more meaningful, while simultaneously encouraging a more "methodical" exploration of a level. Adjusting the difficulty can be done through more challenging coin placements, or making the required total being closer or further from the total amount of coins in the level.

With all that said, I just uploaded Coin Rush in the Mirthless Mines as an "normalish" difficulty exploration of a SMW desert-themed canyon - there are branching paths and lots of different "activities" to explore and earn those sweet, sweet coins.

Coin Rush in the Mirthless Mines
CDS-RH5-JWF

Here's another one that was overlooked, it's a fine coin collecting level that deserves to be looked at.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Just managed to eke out a WR on #171 Giant Jumble (H2V-FXR-1KG)! :toot:

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1145552980344655872

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

DorianGravy posted:

This level was really cool since I knew the gimmick. (It was right on the edge of being too difficult, but turned out alright.) But yeah, SamFausr, the text should be more explicit. Maybe make an Indiana Jones reference and say something like "Only the penitent will see the way."

I was worried about that yeah. I guess I can actually just a leave a message in the level itself being more straightforward without taking it down and reuploading.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

One more level before bed.

I made this for the "Try Switch" thing, once I had the concept for it the level came out fast.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Snow Flurry Fields
5TJ-RMS-WPG

Atoning for my introductory war crimes with something I'd hope to see in an actual Mario game. A nice easy map with optional exploration using the Night + Ice theme(slippery ground.) That music really soothes the soul.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Snow Flurry Fields
5TJ-RMS-WPG

Atoning for my introductory war crimes with something I'd hope to see in an actual Mario game. A nice easy map with optional exploration using the Night + Ice theme(slippery ground.) That music really soothes the soul.

The Snow music in this game is amazing. I'm probably gonna end up using a lot of Snow just because of that.
Koji kind of crushed it in this game.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
One way to generate yourself some inspiration is to look at the last two or three levels you liked in course world and mix elements from each. Use, say, the game mode from the first world, the main area theme from the 2nd and the sub-area of the 3rd. Take the main gimmick/gizmo from the first, and sprinkle elements of the 2nd and enemies from the 3rd. Something like that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DalaranJ posted:

Ah, I just reuploaded "Skewering Sand dunes" to change the timer, so the code is now 5R1-VGM-Q6G

Thanks so much for all the work you're putting into this spreed sheet! Also the goon random level website is cool as hell and is gonna make playing through all these levels so much easier.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Hey I just noticed I forgot to add in hyphens for Snowtop Summit, sorry but is that gonna gently caress with anything on the site?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Made an easy level about sliding and jumping and sliding again

FM7-HD6-4PG

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Had a ten hour drive today so during the time I was the passenger I made this: 5YG-FPM-PMF - Jungle Jinks.

Not having wifi forced me to not just upload the second I liked it the first time, so I'm pretty proud of this level because I think I refined it pretty well by my standards. It's probably the best course I've done across the two games. I based it loosely on a goon level I saw that used the SMB Forest level, but mine came out fairly differently, I think.

Thoughts?

Also, what's this about a goon random level doodad?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Didn't mean to double post, meant to edit this into my previous post, but it's late and I drove for ten hours so here we are.

What if "Try Switch" made me think of reasons to try the actual Switch console? As in, case conditions like described above wherein I made my level in a vehicle traveling at interstate speeds? In that case would my level count for said jam?

DalaranJ posted:

The first week's theme is "Try Switch." :ItIsADarkSoulsJoke:
There are new on-off switches in SMM2, there are also old P-Switches. Maybe you feel like switching off the light, or switching gravity? Whatever that phrase brings to your mind, just make the best level you can about it!

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 1, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Three levels for your pleasure.

Temple of Boom
TT3-HMW-VFG

Desc: A no-jump level where you use the superball to fight through enemies and a boom-boom. Also features thematic scenery.

Boss Alert-Bring an extra helmet
6LB-CBT-VJF

Desc: A remake of a boss battle I designed from Mario Maker 1, creating a boss out of a wall of mario maker physics objects.

Ratty Run
LB!-R8W-70G

Desc: A level built around the use of one enemy. My first upload course, where I was trying to narrow the focus while keeping things challenging.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DalaranJ posted:

Hey guys, poster "lunar detrius" has something great for us, check out: https://randomactsofmario.com/
It's a randomizer which picks out a level from the spreadsheet for you. It'll remember which ones you've already played too.

This is awesome, but what I also need is something to get an auto-tuned "semi-solid platform" out of my brain because it's driving me nuts and I can still hear it even now

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

Another WR down, #100 Treetop Tryout (HG2-034-2KF) in 22"846. This is really addictive! Random Acts of Mario has been great for jumping through the list.

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1145572184972091392

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
May as well throw up my lovely dumb first level.

Jim's 1-1
72S-RXV-JMG

(I'm bad at names)

I do like how the little p-switch bonus room down the second pipe turned out.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

J-Spot posted:

The difficulty really ramps up there in second half, but it was all fair. Great first effort.

Tnega posted:

The coin slide in the secret area put me right onto a spiney. The difficulty was all over the place, of particular note is the hammer bro in the saw area. Also, under the 10 coin there's a blue platform with some spikes you have to jump over, this can be hard to see and react to if you avoid the janky bouncers. (Either lower the spikes, or let people go under them) The powerups and checkpoint ARE appreciated, keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Greatly appreciated!

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Femke's Cave
WQ3-0CD-B1H

First attempt at a Mario Maker course. I needed to hear Mario Land music, so I based it around the SML fireball! Kind of part puzzle part platforming challenge. Not many enemies.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I found a course made by some pubbie that's actually really awesome. At first blush it's a SMB1 1-1 remake, but it's very much more than that. I feel like I have to replay it a couple times just to find all the hidden, cool poo poo he put in it. It's called "1-1?" and the ID is FMW-RT7-9RF.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

For the first time, I've made a Mario... at least I think I did. I may have gotten something wrong.

The King In Yellow

TPC-2B7-4YF

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
insidius: Mind the gaps!

Don't do offscreen thwomps. And even if those thwomps were onscreen, the difficulty of those jumps were ridiculous.

#28 Beneath the Kingdom
BD6-GK8-7CG
By: Cheesetriangles

Extremely short and kind of just a ton of enemy spam.

#40 Airfort one
TMN-HSN-T1G
By: semisomnum

Interesting idea, though the execution is questionable. The beginning portion with the branching paths is honestly kind of sloppy. I question why you gave the player a mushroom at the beginning, when that makes the section after that kind of needlessly annoying. Also for anyone reading this, I would heavily advise against forcing Mario to get stuck in empty on/off blocks, as I basically got soft locked into the level because Mario didn't get pushed out for whatever reason.

#18 Butt Stomp Sprint
D7C-XS6-NXF
By: Macaluso

Very interesting idea. A tough and mostly fair level. The only criticisms I have is that the ! blocks were a little hard to react to at times, despite your coin guides being there. (Also you probably have too many coins on this stage acting as guides. It kind of just looked like clutter after a certain point.)

#190 Boom Boom's Doom Hoome
RXF-H1Q-GRF
By: Dork457

Very nice use of blocks for art and the atmosphere of the level was fitting.

#237 Mario in a half shell
YWM-77R-XPF
By: Pwnguin

I'm going to be honest, I did not like this level at all. It was an interesting concept, but a lot of it was kind of frustrating and super easy to get into unwinnable situations. While some of the timing puzzles were neat, the one where you had to get past the door with a sawblade in front of it was probably the worst one and felt really janky. Half the time I couldn't go through the door without losing the shell.

#43 Babby's First Athletic
W4X-7DC-P9G
By: someone awful.

Not a bad athletic level. Though it got pretty enemy spammy, especially with the stuff coming from the pipes.

#76 Night of the Living Drybones
K72-DXW-68G
By: Suspicious_Cook

A very nice atmospheric level with a good bit of platforming. Boss battle felt a bit clunky with having to time the Thwomps properly, but overall the contraptions were pretty exciting.

#178 Run!!
55D-QRT-NLG
By: Pocky in my Pocket

Interesting idea. I mostly liked the level. Just a few rough spots. There are a few blind jumps in the level that can easily lead to deaths. It was a pretty exciting level aside from those moments.

#127 Goomba Garden
M8S-78N-RGF
By: yrmr

I liked this one a lot! Short and sweet, and had a bit of an arcade feel to it in some sections.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

I added two more maps to the sheet:

Lanterns
F9S-Q2S-XFG

This is a tricky one, be sure to leave enough light on.

DH 1-1
9CJ-9N5-LMF

A "Standard" SMB level, I wanted to try to hit the feel of a classic level.

I also played another map!

#191 Covetous Cliffs
3X8-2H3-8PF
By: Salastine

Time: 39"683

This is a great coin collection level! I'm a fan of adding more coins than needed for coin goals, and finding an optimal path of coins to collect in time before the goal was fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Played some levels randomly via the code thing, here are ones that stood out to me for one reason or another:

Abyssal Adventure: This could be tuned a lot better but I think the core concept was super neat. I actually didn't realized while descending that I would have to go back up after hitting the on/off switch, and that made this level pretty unique!

The Chomp Pipes: I like the pipe scenery but this was pretty frustrating at times with how fast some chomps came out and their erratic movement. Also forcing you to go through a pipe enemies are coming out of to progress is usually a dick move!

8-3's Revenge: Hammer bro are notoriously bullshit so any course featuring them in abundance has to be designed really well, and for the most part I think you actually pulled that off. Good spacing and use of terrain to make approaching the hammer spam manageable.

Buzzy Beanstalk: I really wanted to like this because i like the theme and scenery but its just not fun. Precision platforming on buzzy beetles like this is a mess. Also the very start of the stage is set up in a way where its not immediately clear how you progress and its pretty easy to kill yourself in what is supposed to be a harmless intro. Just a sign that this course needs a lot more tweaking.

Spooky Star: Really loved the lighting effects you used here, but I seemed to soft lock myself by getting the star and not moving fast enough.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Thank you for the advice, everyone; I decided to go with the autoscroller and even though I normally hate autoscrollers I'm happy with how this turned out.

Footrace With Koopa The Quick
W0L-K39-VHF

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Here's my first Mario Maker 2 level done. It's not really my best work, but it's good enough for me to call it finished, and I'll leave the nitpicking to you all.

I was hoping to get around to playing some goon levels tonight, but I'm up way too late already.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Lugaloco posted:

My third level, also my first attempt at a more "expansive" one.

Beware the Four Horsemen

C6Y-KG1-G5G

This notorious gang of outriders has stolen all the stars and it's up to you to bring justice!

Hope you all enjoy it, this thing took WAY too long to make!

Phone posting so apologies if this has been covered already, but how did you get the Koopa Troopers to have such grody heads?!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Kind of proud of this one and I think I stress-tested it pretty foolproof. Concept is a light puzzle level with a low gravity sub-level mirror of the main level. This kind of level is cool to do because making everything match forces you to think about your use of space and blocks a lot more than usual.

Lucid Slumberland 5CY-365-S0G

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was thinking about making a level that used the on/off switch for platforms normally but decided against it. Instead I made one of my first puzzle levels with a couple different switches. I don't think it's too hard outside the final task being tricky to time, but feedback would be nice in general.

Toxic Friendship
PMH - VKY - 3VF

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 1, 2019

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Flint_Paper posted:

Phone posting so apologies if this has been covered already, but how did you get the Koopa Troopers to have such grody heads?!

There's a goomba riding the koopa troopers. My dumb attempt at staying on theme with "The Four Horsemen".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They look like angry koopa's with afros now

That is a image stuck in my head :psyduck:

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Ahhhhh. I thought it might be something like that, but the screenshot looks just enough like their heads are full of parasitic wasp eggs to make me wonder.

And that is not dumb! That is a fine attempt. Be nice to your Mario >:(

FAKE EDIT: Ahh man. I want yellow and blue Koopas. And the snazzy multi-colour shell from SMW. While I'm at it, a way to place a shell sans-Koopa would be a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Bowser is on trial for his crimes (KFP-JQ1-FVF)
For 34 years, Bowser has committed countless atrocities against the Mushroom Kingdom and has faced no apparent consequences. It's time to finally put him on trial for his crimes. Your decision will have consequences.

Super Mario Power Fantasy (6S9-BL7-4VG)
Tired of banging your head against courses that push you to your limit? Blow off some steam and experience the pure unbridled ecstasy of indiscriminately mowing down Koopa Troopas.

A walk in the woods (QLL-2N8-97G)
Go for a walk in the woods.

Cat Mario is Late for Work
Cat Mario has slept in yet again! One more late arrival and he'll face an employment tribunal - are you capable of doing whatever it takes to get him to work on time?