Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

loving hell those shoes are huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nedthefish
Oct 21, 2011

Slippery posted:

I've had that song in my head for like a million years and all I can remember of it is the line

...animal crackers in my soup...

what show is that from??

I realize this is from forever ago but it was bothering me too. I think the song you're looking for is the intro to the show "Zoo Family".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're like the Marmaduke of shoes. Just an inherently funny idea.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Launched in 97. I was only 8 so my memory of the 90s is mostly jokes about the era but large shoes are a joke I've heard a lot

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

God. Saying a quick thank you to my college roommate Tony who shamed the gently caress out of me for reading newspaper comics, online, like, out of institutional respect and inertia. Jesus christ those are bad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krinkle posted:

God. Saying a quick thank you to my college roommate Tony who shamed the gently caress out of me for reading newspaper comics, online, like, out of institutional respect and inertia. Jesus christ those are bad.

I mostly like Fingerpori.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're like the Marmaduke of shoes. Just an inherently funny idea.

No, it's lazy crap.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i thought the rat post was ridiculous so i googled it and holy gently caress it's actually true

Chicago and LA are currently dealing with loving horrific rat infestations and they don't seem to be even remotely the only places, just the loudest/best prepared to handle it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gleebster posted:

No, it's lazy crap.
:thejoke:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I assume like all old people their concept of young people is at least a decade or two out of date, and he thinks everyone is still wearing early 2000's Vans

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Jerry Cotton posted:

I mostly like Fingerpori.

I specifically mean american newspaper comics like luann or zits or even foxtrot. I think fingerpori is neat too. scandanavia has better comics I think.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nedthefish posted:

I realize this is from forever ago but it was bothering me too. I think the song you're looking for is the intro to the show "Zoo Family".
"Animal Crackers In My Soup" is from the Shirley Temple movie Curly Top. My grandparents used to sing it to me whenever I ate animal crackers at their place. :3:

Maybe you recognize it from one of the other times it was featured: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Crackers_in_My_Soup

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You're supposed to look at MM&O the same way you look at a horrible train crash. You definitely aren't enjoying it but you can't look away.

Nonsense. Plenty of people like MM&O, because they identify with the characters. Losers with crippling social issues who abuse themselves and each other endlessly. Same reason people loved Seinfeld.

MM&O is a cartoon Seinfeld.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rust Martialis posted:

Nonsense. Plenty of people like MM&O, because they identify with the characters. Losers with crippling social issues who abuse themselves and each other endlessly. Same reason people loved Seinfeld.

And some people have trouble enjoying it because it reminds them way too much of experiences they've had.

Not that I know about that sort of thing.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

ToxicSlurpee posted:

And some people have trouble enjoying it because it reminds them way too much of experiences they've had.

Not that I know about that sort of thing.

I have always disliked humor that is aimed at mocking the powerless, mentally ill or stupid.
Seinfeld was a group of broken people who reinforced each other's worst aspects. I hated it. I feel the same way about MM&O.

I also hated Willy Loman on sight when I saw Death of a Salesman.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krinkle posted:

I specifically mean american newspaper comics like luann or zits or even foxtrot. I think fingerpori is neat too. scandanavia has better comics I think.

I have appreciated "Zits" :ohdear:

(But not lately.)

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Rust Martialis posted:

I enjoy MM&O because of how narrowly my friend circle avoided actually becoming that. Just a bunch of shitheaded teens who managed to eventually pull themselves together and become functional adults. Well, most of us anyway. One of the nicest and classiest girls I knew ended up getting hooked on heroin and dated a guy named Sleaze for about three years during which she got hep-C and picked facebook fights with other crusties over who was and wasn't a poser. She didn't get it together.

So, yeah, there but for the grace of god go I, or something. MM&O is just that except fictional so I can laugh about it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rust Martialis posted:

This is extremely unfair.

MM&O is actually funny

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR8D2yqgQ1U

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What was the comic about the detective dressed in the trench coat and hat? He had a boss and he kissed him on the cheek before leaving on the case. It was a funny comic. There were 5 or 6 of them. Hopefully someone knows what I’m talking about

Thanks

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

oldpainless posted:

What was the comic about the detective dressed in the trench coat and hat? He had a boss and he kissed him on the cheek before leaving on the case. It was a funny comic. There were 5 or 6 of them. Hopefully someone knows what I’m talking about

Thanks

Detective Skip Tobey by Pandyland?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rust Martialis posted:

I have always disliked humor that is aimed at mocking the powerless, mentally ill or stupid.
Seinfeld was a group of broken people who reinforced each other's worst aspects. I hated it. I feel the same way about MM&O.

I also hated Willy Loman on sight when I saw Death of a Salesman.

And when that humour is created by the powerless, mentally ill and stupid as a way of relieving the suffering they feel?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Loomer posted:

And when that humour is created by the powerless, mentally ill and stupid as a way of relieving the suffering they feel?

Yea, I never felt like either of those was ever mocking those people.

Also, MM&O rules. I pre-ordered the new book.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Seinfeld is great though because through the 9 seasons you go from liking the characters, to finding them a bit annoying, to feeling that they deserve a lot of the stuff that happens, to outright loathing them at the end.

MM&O is just boring.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
There's lots of shows where you're not really meant to like the characters, but instead find their shenanigans and frequent comeuppance amusing. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is one of the better ones if you don't like Seinfeld.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Paladinus posted:

Detective Skip Tobey by Pandyland?

Yes! Thanks

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, I always read Death of a Salesman as a tragedy about the titular character's declining mental state. I only saw the dustin hoffman movie though. Which was interesting.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
MM&O is great. I pity the people who find it boring because they are probably extremely boring themselves. It doesn't mock its characters but just reflects on their issues in often humorous manner. You would have to lack any reading comprehension to read "Meg's Depression" arc and think it somehow makes fun of people who suffer from depression. The stories are also quite obviously reflecting Hanselmann's own experiences and issues.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The guy who does these is at least in his 60s, right?

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Loomer posted:

It's made by a loser, about losers, for losers, and it's no surprise that so many goons like it because these forms have no shortage of drug addled and or mentally ill losers trying to seek solace from their failings.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Gokuweed420 posted:

It's made by a loser, about losers, for losers, and it's no surprise that so many goons like it because these forms have no shortage of drug addled and or mentally ill losers trying to seek solace from their failings.

Thanks, forums user Gokuweed420.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gokuweed420 posted:

Putting it down isn’t going to make you a winner

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gokuweed420 posted:

:goonsay:

:jerkbag:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

To be fair, the artist presumably isn't targeting "losers" as an audience, he is simply expressing himself in his art as someone else mentioned.

That this expression is of interest to people dealing with similar issues (depression, drug use, addiction, etc.) is quite likely. The claim, however, that SA is some kind of pool of these people more than other places is debatable - we simply may be more tolerant of discussing such issues. An ability to discuss mental health issues openly is a Very Good Thing.

So to the extent it encourages people to deal with their own issues in a positive way, great. But most stories I've plodded through simply seem vicious and the characters are frankly repulsive, not in any positive way at all.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Rust Martialis posted:

But most stories I've plodded through simply seem vicious and the characters are frankly repulsive, not in any positive way at all.

I feel like (even though that's probably not your intent) you're saying a comic must have a positive message or story in order to be objectively good, and I don't think those who like MM&O would agree. That's just one of my many bad opinions though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also think every character should be a flawless paragon of humanity

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fister Roboto posted:

The guy who does these is at least in his 60s, right?

Tuh!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I hadn't heard of MM&O until tonight, I read everything that was on Vice and I really enjoyed it! Thanks goons!

Is there more of it out there online? Definitely tempted to pick up a physical copy.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rust Martialis posted:

To be fair, the artist presumably isn't targeting "losers" as an audience, he is simply expressing himself in his art as someone else mentioned.

That this expression is of interest to people dealing with similar issues (depression, drug use, addiction, etc.) is quite likely. The claim, however, that SA is some kind of pool of these people more than other places is debatable - we simply may be more tolerant of discussing such issues. An ability to discuss mental health issues openly is a Very Good Thing.

So to the extent it encourages people to deal with their own issues in a positive way, great. But most stories I've plodded through simply seem vicious and the characters are frankly repulsive, not in any positive way at all.

Why should the downtrodden be obligated to only create positive messages, rather than writing about their experiences and what they find funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Rust Martialis posted:

That this expression is of interest to people dealing with similar issues (depression, drug use, addiction, etc.) is quite likely. The claim, however, that SA is some kind of pool of these people more than other places is debatable

Are you kidding? Have you SEEN tcc?