Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

BiggerBoat posted:

I've always wanted to try a "gather the evidence, analyze it, interview people, conduct search warrants and solve the mystery" style of game, even if it's point and click driven or whatever.

The guy who made the Submachine series made two detective-games in Flash a decade ago that I would absolutely kill to see make a full-game for Steam. There was a third game made without his artwork that's completely skippable.

https://jayisgames.com/review/the-scene-of-the-crime.php

https://jayisgames.com/review/the-scene-of-the-crime-golden-doll.php

The followup to Her Story, called Telling Lies, is due for either July or August.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Jun 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nuebot posted:

What drags Bloodstained down for me is that mobility just feels really lame? Like there's a fight against two big dragon things, right? And their attacks had them spewing fire and attacking from both sides of the screen, and it feels like it required you to be really precise about positioning and stuff. But the character just didn't move fast enough to stay caught up with any of it, let alone get out of attack range to get into the safe zones at any given time. Then there was a later boss who had a lot of tornado-like spells that would launch you across the arena and stuff, and I don't know if there was a gimmick I missed. But I just had zero ways to dodge or avoid her attacks. I just wound up tanking them all because everything she did was too fast to react to unless you knew it was already coming or had lucked out and were already behind her when she did it.

Yeah, I'm starting to run into the same thing. It's kinda weird that there doesn't seem to be an actual dodge or other defensive move, short of that little backwards hop that appears to have little to no iframes. Perhaps there's a technique for that that I haven't found yet, but so far I've only found one reflect for the basic katanas, which is kinda meh. That is in turn a pretty poor combination with the particularly huge enemies and the fact that everything has contact damage. The actual attacks of most enemies are usually telegraphed well enough to dodge them, but if they decide to just kinda run right into you in a cramped environment there's relatively little you can do.

Also, flying Dulahammer heads can eat a dick.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to run into the same thing. It's kinda weird that there doesn't seem to be an actual dodge or other defensive move, short of that little backwards hop that appears to have little to no iframes. Perhaps there's a technique for that that I haven't found yet, but so far I've only found one reflect for the basic katanas, which is kinda meh. That is in turn a pretty poor combination with the particularly huge enemies and the fact that everything has contact damage. The actual attacks of most enemies are usually telegraphed well enough to dodge them, but if they decide to just kinda run right into you in a cramped environment there's relatively little you can do.

Also, flying Dulahammer heads can eat a dick.

I'm right at the end of the game now and I'm just farming shards before I go kill the last boss, and the best strategy I've found really has just been to kill everything before it can touch you. The game gives you your free reign to pick how you tear it apart. It's just not really set up to be defensive or reactive. You're just supposed to be a roaming murder ball I guess. Kill all demons.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

RotN has a lot of DNA from Aria and Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia. Which were very "Find the abilities you like and tear apart everything before you". I spent a large portion of one of the Sorrow games tossing screaming plant babies at everything, because they just destroyed poo poo.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

Theres a goon made text game where you're the detective at the end of a mystery novel summarizing the case, but you have no clues and are just bullshitting to try to figure it out without giving that away

Please someone know the title because I need to play this.

There’s a DS game The ABC Murders; I don’t remember the quality but it follows a published Poirot mystery and can be remixed with a different murderer too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Obra Dinn is excellent because it isn't about opening J.J. Abram's mind blowing mystery-box, it's about discerning the deaths and disappearances of 60-odd people for the sake of an insurance payout. It's dryly funny how you use a magic timepiece to re-live the deaths of a ships crew at the hands of Sea Monsters, and you just write it as a notary it because it's your job.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I just started playing Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and it looks pretty good, but it's made me feel a bit grumpy because it doesn't seem to feel the need to autosave or let you manually save even after the obligatory 30-minute+ MGS introductory cutscenes!

It stands out because even MGS4, which I also just played for the first time and have some decidedly mixed feelings about, has multiple prompts that let you save during that game's rather absurd amount of long cutscenes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Grim Fandango Remastered has me rereading Old Man Murray’s Death of Adventure Games article. So good.

Hopefully Grim Fandango will be that great at some point, because right now it feels like everyone who ever praised this game has Stockholm Syndrome. It doesn’t matter if it looks good, sounds great or has fantastic dialogue if the puzzles are pure unfiltered feces.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

Since you guys are talking about a Sherlock Holmes game, and sorry for being off topic, but what's a cool murder/mystery/investigation style game I can check out? Seems like an under explored genre and the only ones I ever really hear discussed are Phoenix Wright and L.A. Noire.

I've always wanted to try a "gather the evidence, analyze it, interview people, conduct search warrants and solve the mystery" style of game, even if it's point and click driven or whatever.

Hotel Dusk and Last Window, both on the DS.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Grim Fandango Remastered has me rereading Old Man Murray’s Death of Adventure Games article. So good.

Hopefully Grim Fandango will be that great at some point, because right now it feels like everyone who ever praised this game has Stockholm Syndrome. It doesn’t matter if it looks good, sounds great or has fantastic dialogue if the puzzles are pure unfiltered feces.
Out of mostly nostalgia I'm gonna have to insist that it does.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
I've finally gotten into Witcher 3, and while this is a VERY good game overall it does have a couple annoyances I've found thus far in the first non-prologue area:

1. Horse races are a pain in the rear thanks to the gallop controls being a "tap once then hold down" affair which seems to be very finicky about what constitutes that process. I have never managed to gallop at the start of a race thanks to that. Doesn't help the game apparently refuses to show the correct race path on the minimap past the next gate or very clearly with game graphics (with the races all happening at night to boot!); you see a light, is it a regular torch or where to aim, who knows? Not me! Compounds the issue by putting at least some of the gates right at a fork in the road so you have to guess which direction the race actually goes in and if you're wrong you're hosed. Also seems to have non-gate checkpoints which are extremely bad about registering you getting near them enough to mark it off.

2. The little loading movies may have seemed like a good way to remind people where they were in the story, but they repeat too much and run WAY too long. Can't even tell when you're able to skip them since they cover up the actual loading screens. At minimum a quick load that skips them when using the quick save should have been implemented.

3. Sword drawing/sheathing is automated very oddly at best, game seems very iffy on doing it right on its own but if you try manually that's when it inevitably decides it was going to do it so Geralt decides to draw then immediately resheathe his sword so you take on those enemies with your fists. Honestly should disable manual sheathing altogether in combat, not like it affects any of the actions you can actually take in combat whether or not the sword is out.

4. My top irritation, the open world level scaling does not have any clear regional separation on what's found where or even an ability to check the level. High level crap is randomly mixed in with at-level stuff; go fight some wolves at level and a skull level leshy pops up and insta-kills with one hit at full health. You can't even check levels before fights when you do see enemies, by the time you move close enough to see the health bar with a skull on it the enemy sees you too and comes eat your face. Assuming it doesn't do anything like let you loot a container at a map point then spawn the killer skull level creature right behind you. No warning about even the spawn, much less any prayer of knowing what level comes up without the player having psychic powers. Level gating in an open world only works when it's a GATE; if you can suddenly at any moment cross into Hurtsville without warning it's not a way to keep content away until later, it's a random gently caress you mechanic.

Thankfully the game's moddable so some people have fixed some of these issues and a few others (I already took all fall damage away, correctly guessed how bad navigating in the world would be otherwise before I started), but it does have a lot of basic gameplay design issues in the vanilla setup that seemed avoidable with a little thought by the designers.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

The whole point and click adventure genre was always poo poo.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sunswipe posted:

The whole point and click adventure genre was always poo poo.

Alright, i've dispatched two officers to your location. You'll be getting a house call from officers Sam and Max, Freelance Police.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spit on my clit posted:

Alright, i've dispatched two officers to your location. You'll be getting a house call from officers Sam and Max, Freelance Police.

I'm sorry your childhood was filled with poo poo games.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
One of the formative games of my childhood was one of the King's Quest games. I remembered a "puzzle" where early in the game you would be offered a free bottle and could pick from like six different ones. Several hours later, you would try to use that bottle to trap an evil genie. But if you picked the wrong bottle, you're hosed!

The only way to know the correct bottle is that it pops up in a brief cutscene where it's not even the focus of the scene.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

One of the formative games of my childhood was one of the King's Quest games. I remembered a "puzzle" where early in the game you would be offered a free bottle and could pick from like six different ones. Several hours later, you would try to use that bottle to trap an evil genie. But if you picked the wrong bottle, you're hosed!

The only way to know the correct bottle is that it pops up in a brief cutscene where it's not even the focus of the scene.

That's KQ6 right? KQ5 did the same sorta thing only with a pie. You were hungry and if you are the pie you couldn't pie a yeti later in the game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MadDogMike posted:

4. My top irritation, the open world level scaling does not have any clear regional separation on what's found where or even an ability to check the level. High level crap is randomly mixed in with at-level stuff; go fight some wolves at level and a skull level leshy pops up and insta-kills with one hit at full health. You can't even check levels before fights when you do see enemies, by the time you move close enough to see the health bar with a skull on it the enemy sees you too and comes eat your face. Assuming it doesn't do anything like let you loot a container at a map point then spawn the killer skull level creature right behind you. No warning about even the spawn, much less any prayer of knowing what level comes up without the player having psychic powers. Level gating in an open world only works when it's a GATE; if you can suddenly at any moment cross into Hurtsville without warning it's not a way to keep content away until later, it's a random gently caress you mechanic.

The super annoying thing about this in TW3 is that even if you pull off something cool and loot a chest from an elite monster inexplicably placed in the middle of a level 7 zone, the items you get from that will have a much higher level requirement as well, so there's basically no benefit to trying. Worse still is that crafting plans for the best Witcher gear require every prior blueprint made prior to it, so you can't even go out of the intended sequence.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

MadDogMike posted:

I've finally gotten into Witcher 3, and while this is a VERY good game overall it does have a couple annoyances I've found thus far in the first non-prologue area:

1. Horse races are a pain in the rear thanks to the gallop controls being a "tap once then hold down" affair which seems to be very finicky about what constitutes that process. I have never managed to gallop at the start of a race thanks to that. Doesn't help the game apparently refuses to show the correct race path on the minimap past the next gate or very clearly with game graphics (with the races all happening at night to boot!); you see a light, is it a regular torch or where to aim, who knows? Not me! Compounds the issue by putting at least some of the gates right at a fork in the road so you have to guess which direction the race actually goes in and if you're wrong you're hosed. Also seems to have non-gate checkpoints which are extremely bad about registering you getting near them enough to mark it off.
At least Witcher 3 had so much content that I didn't feel like I was missing out on much by telling anyone who wanted to race or play Gwent to gently caress off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

1stGear posted:

The problem here was in playing one from Sierra rather than Lucasfilm Games LucasArts.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

The problem here was in playing one from Sierra rather than Lucasfilm Games LucasArts.

Yeah I much prefer the LucasArts approach where puzzles (almost?) never became insolvable.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Half Minute Hero 2

For such a simple and fast paced game there is awfully lot of cutscenes. And while they are quite funny, they also feel almost pointless because it's an utterly silly comedy game with a nonsense premise, so there's really no reason to care about these characters.

Also many of them have a loud action music or epic fantasy theme playing on the background while the characters are discussing about some minor details.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In the new expansion for ff14 the npc guards have some cool armor, chainmail with a tabard and a cloak. I'm all over that poo poo, its not ridiculous anime jrpg huge armor, and its not a slut glam. And whats cool is that you get your own!

Except is has these loving PAULDRONS :byodood:

Why do I have pauldrons? Why doesn't the archer get them? I want a set without these drat pauldrons! So many good armors in this game get ruined for me cause of the pauldrons.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

1stGear posted:

IIRC you could solve the same puzzle by giving the genie a mint leaf while he's prepping to zap you, since genies apparently get drunk as poo poo off mint

I love that stupid game and all of it's horrible game design :allears:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Leal posted:

In the new expansion for ff14 the npc guards have some cool armor, chainmail with a tabard and a cloak. I'm all over that poo poo, its not ridiculous anime jrpg huge armor, and its not a slut glam. And whats cool is that you get your own!

Except is has these loving PAULDRONS :byodood:

Why do I have pauldrons? Why doesn't the archer get them? I want a set without these drat pauldrons! So many good armors in this game get ruined for me cause of the pauldrons.
check what the crafted sets are to see if they're similar/identical to it.

On that note, the dwarf set is craftable, but its the goddamn level 78 set so anytime i want my lalafell dwarf to look proper I have to level it up to near max before i can use it as a glamour.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Mierenneuker posted:

I have something like 30 minutes in Grim Fandango Remastered and I never made it out of the office. I couldn't figure out how to leave and after rubbing everything I had on everything I could see for 15 minutes, I gave up. If I have to resort to a walkthrough in the first hour of gameplay, then it's a bad game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If I recall correctly King's Quest VI was the only game people liked.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sunswipe posted:

I'm sorry your childhood was filled with poo poo games.

hey now, i played risk on windows 98, don't you tell me we had poo poo games.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In Dead Rising 2 you gain the ability to roll after levelling up for a while. Except that the roll is slow, leaves you exposed at the end, and has no damage protection so you're better off relying on basic jumps to try to avoid getting hit.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've been playing System Shock 2 again lately, and in both Medsci and Engineering, the music keeps building and building, gets to the first note of the best part, then fades back into the building up stage. Hit the drums you cowards :argh:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The super annoying thing about this in TW3 is that even if you pull off something cool and loot a chest from an elite monster inexplicably placed in the middle of a level 7 zone, the items you get from that will have a much higher level requirement as well, so there's basically no benefit to trying. Worse still is that crafting plans for the best Witcher gear require every prior blueprint made prior to it, so you can't even go out of the intended sequence.

Witcher 3 would have been infinitely improved if they split it into chapters. The whole plot steers you to go Velen - > Novigrad - > Skellige, so they could just chunk it up into 3 large chapters and still give you a load of freedom and exploration but without all the level scaling bullshit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inco posted:

I have something like 30 minutes in Grim Fandango Remastered and I never made it out of the office. I couldn't figure out how to leave and after rubbing everything I had on everything I could see for 15 minutes, I gave up. If I have to resort to a walkthrough in the first hour of gameplay, then it's a bad game.

Personally I think it, and a lot of its puzzles, are just wrecked by being in 3D (especially the original version with minimal interface). Style and story-wise, it lives up to the hype for me, but something about that type of 3D engine just doesn't work for puzzles imo. I'm 100% certain it'd be on my short list of all time greats if it were a lush, hand-illustrated 2D game like Curse of Monkey Island.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MadDogMike posted:

Thankfully the game's moddable so some people have fixed some of these issues and a few others (I already took all fall damage away, correctly guessed how bad navigating in the world would be otherwise before I started), but it does have a lot of basic gameplay design issues in the vanilla setup that seemed avoidable with a little thought by the designers.

This was a huge reason why I got bored of the game and stopped playing. I'm one of those obsessives who tends to clear areas out before progressing and not only does Witcher 3 not really reward that (it didn't seem to reward anything, really) because everything you found was perpetually higher level than you, and by the time you were strong enough to equip it you could just craft better things anyway; but the enemy placement sucked. Which meant if I wanted to clear this level 5 area, or walk from this level 5 area to the level 7 area, I'd have to fight a bunch of level skull spiders that took ten minutes each to kill. Or I'd get a quest that sounded interesting, but to get to its location I'd have to wade through a bunch of skull level enemies that could kill me instantly, only to find out once I reached the area that the quest enemy was a chump my level.

Also signs and potions felt really useless. Golems, for example, were the worst thing to fight. Even if they weren't skull level they took forever to kill. Sure, I'll use my signs and potions and stuff to make it easier! I'll use weapon coatings, I have a bunch of stuff explicitly made to damage golems more!

After dealing with like four menus, I'm doing maybe 2% more damage per-hit, for like ten seconds.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I picked up a cheap copy of the Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey remake, and it's bizarre how they handle touchscreen menus. Sometimes they work fine, e.g. every time you have to enter a name or password. But as far as I can tell, all of the other menus force you to use the stick/d-pad and buttons. I know they're reading the touch input, there's a touchscreen pointer that moves but can't click on anything, it's like they're specifically going out of their way to make me have clunkier input controls :psyduck:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jul 1, 2019

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I put Witcher difficulty to easy after like 5 hours and never looked back. I never got into the alchemy and crafting and potions and all that tedious bullshit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I had low expectations for Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter and I was still disappointed.

The game is short. There are four cases followed by a sequence of non-detective puzzles and a bunch of QTEs then an abrupt snap to credits. 7-8 Hours and you do detective-work for only half that.

Never, ever, use Pygmies as plot points. You can adapt a work over a century old by distilling the essence and junking the embarrassing racist stuff. Likewise it's perfectly possible to adapt Lovecraft without all his ethnic hang-ups.

For some reason Holmes get saddled with some orphan kid he has to raise, and this kid has loving-awful voice-acting. The game decides to have an overarching plot involving Holmes personal-life even though, like Columbo, nobody gives a poo poo about his personal-life.The entire appeal of the character is that he's an eccentric genius who solves mysteries, not an eccentric genius who the entire story revolves around. There's also this mystical/ spiritual element that is groan-inducing.

The game is not cohesive. There's a crappy tailing-sequence that's ripped from Assassin's Creed that only happens once. There's a bargain-bin Deus Ex sneakathon that comes and goes. There is a loving bizarre sequence where Holmes imagines he's exploring a mayan-temple complete with Indiana Jones deathtraps like a giant boulder that chases you.You can somehow die in this sequence despite it taking place purely inside his imagination. All the work given to these nonsensical setpieces would have been better spent just crafting straightforward cases with little gratuitous action. Did Ace Attorney ever resort to having a shootout in the court to raise the stakes?

The previous games, Crimes and Punishment, was pretty good. Holmes is in his element when investigating witnesses, gathering clues, and forming deductions. Not when he's trapped replaying a bar-fight QTE for the 8th time or pushing blocks in a sewer. I really hope developers get the message from Obra Dinn and Her Story in that you can make compelling detective-gameplay on a budget that isn't hampered by superfluous action.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Never, ever, use Pygmies as plot points.

It was at about the point where this was revealed that I realised these mysteries won't make sense.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I have a friend who'd replay Grim Fandango twice per year and even he got stuck on sole of the shittier puzzles.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I had low expectations for Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter and I was still disappointed.

The previous games, Crimes and Punishment, was pretty good. Holmes is in his element when investigating witnesses, gathering clues, and forming deductions. Not when he's trapped replaying a bar-fight QTE for the 8th time or pushing blocks in a sewer. I really hope developers get the message from Obra Dinn and Her Story in that you can make compelling detective-gameplay on a budget that isn't hampered by superfluous action.

I played Crimes and Punishments on the PS Now streaming service. It's an okay low-budget game: I liked Holmes' voice-acting and characterisation, and while the cases are fairly simple the game doesn't necessarily just hand you the correct solution, which is good. By far the worst bits are the parts you just mentioned. The arm-wrestling match in the bar was a pain, though I kind of got the hang of it eventually. The sewer maze puzzle was just annoying. It wasn't hard per se, but it took up so much time and the game didn't do a very good job of showing what each button did. It didn't help that the case it appeared in was already needlessly convoluted, even by Sherlock Holmes standards.

After finishing it I started up The Devil's Daughter. I was instantly disappointed that it showed a younger Holmes, and I tried it for a little bit but just couldn't get into it. It doesn't sound like I was missing too much.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Holy poo poo, the underwater parts of Bloodstained just loving suck. Having to farm a shard just to be able to swim (with no hint as to which enemy offers the shard) is pretty bad, but the actual swimming mechanics are awful. The acceleration is sluggish and it just feels awful all around, and then the game expects you to navigate traps (which do FAR too much damage and will stunlock you) with these terrible controls. This is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm still willing to believe there's an intended way to get through there I didn't find because it's so weird.

But hey, once you get a certain shard (and farm a different passive + its upgrade ingredients a whole bunch) underwater travel will be just fine!