Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Could I get advice on how to get the affection stat high quickly in Pokémon Amie in X? I can get enjoyment and fullness ezpz but not affection. Is it just supposed to take a long time? Trying to get the fairy type eeveelution.

Also, what are suggested eeveelution moves? Trying to do a team of them (probably jolteon slyveon espeon flareon vaporeon and glaceon?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

For Gen 6, raising affection in Pokemon Amie can be done in cycles: With three Pokémon, you start petting them until they don't want to be petted, which is indicated by a speech bubble with a music note instead of hearts coming out. Then you play three games in a row with them. Go for the unlimited Head It if you unlocked that, but the Unlimited Berry Picker game is fine if you're up for constantly dragging your stylus everywhere. Don't bother at all with the puzzle one. Then you feed the resulting Pokepuffs until they refuse to eat anymore. You played three games so you end up with 18 Pokepuffs, 6 each for the three Pokemon that participated in the games. Then you repeat the whole process until they start "sparkling" whenever they make that happy animation. Although for Eevee to evolve into Sylveon, you only need two hearts and Eevee needs to know a Fairy move (It should have Baby Doll Eyes as a level up move).

Although amusing with certain Pokemon, the process is slow. Gen 7 speeds it up significantly by just feeding them three rainbow beans, which maxes out Affection instantly.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zuzie posted:

For Gen 6, raising affection in Pokemon Amie can be done in cycles: With three Pokémon, you start petting them until they don't want to be petted, which is indicated by a speech bubble with a music note instead of hearts coming out. Then you play three games in a row with them. Go for the unlimited Head It if you unlocked that, but the Unlimited Berry Picker game is fine if you're up for constantly dragging your stylus everywhere. Don't bother at all with the puzzle one. Then you feed the resulting Pokepuffs until they refuse to eat anymore. You played three games so you end up with 18 Pokepuffs, 6 each for the three Pokemon that participated in the games. Then you repeat the whole process until they start "sparkling" whenever they make that happy animation. Although for Eevee to evolve into Sylveon, you only need two hearts and Eevee needs to know a Fairy move (It should have Baby Doll Eyes as a level up move).

Although amusing with certain Pokemon, the process is slow. Gen 7 speeds it up significantly by just feeding them three rainbow beans, which maxes out Affection instantly.

3 is a waste, you only need to feed them 2 and then pet them twice.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don’t see how Ash staying 10 is any different from the fact that Bruce Wayne is still in his mid thirties after raising three adopted sons to adulthood with zero overlap, but by golly, the world seems to find the former harder to accept than the latter.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Bruce Wayne is a millionaire, he has access to all sorts of age-delaying treatments.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

I don’t see how Ash staying 10 is any different from the fact that Bruce Wayne is still in his mid thirties after raising three adopted sons to adulthood with zero overlap, but by golly, the world seems to find the former harder to accept than the latter.

The latter is also dumb.

I can rationalize that Ash is going to get de-aged after DP as a side-effect of exposure to Dialga, I guess. And according to Bulbapedia the beginning of BW is the last explicit mention of his age in the anime.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

I honestly don't mind characters staying the same age forever but if someone did I feel they'd think both were dumb rather then just one, which kinda messed that argument up

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nodosaur posted:

Ash Ketchum is a code name and there are multiple Ash Ketchums

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ash is 25 now and finally the show is good. thank you 🙏

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
We lost a lot of Ash Ketchums early on in the experiment due to unforseen flamethrower circumstances.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
every Ash is a ghola

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ash Ketchum is a code name and there are multiple Ash Ketchums

Honestly, they should have done something sort of like this if they wanted a young Ash for BW. "Meet Ash Ketchum's identical-looking third cousin, Ash Black-White!"

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
like the officer Jennies and nurse Joys

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for the Amos explanation! Also that Slyveon only needs two hearts— for some reason I had assumed I needed to max it and was concerned.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

I honestly don't mind characters staying the same age forever but if someone did I feel they'd think both were dumb rather then just one, which kinda messed that argument up

It’s more that one of these things has the issue come up, followed by questions of why he hasn’t aged, disproportionately higher whenever a particular one of them is so much as mentioned. Like, a picture of Batman and Damien doesn’t set off a flurry of questions about why this man isn’t in his sixties.

Like, sure, they’re both dumb. People would probably agree on that. But it’s been twenty years and you’d think people would get used to the idea that the cartoon character isn’t getting older. And it’s really weird how the show for elementary kids is held to higher scrutiny of realistic character progression than a decades old crime drama series.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Nodosaur posted:

It’s more that one of these things has the issue come up, followed by questions of why he hasn’t aged, disproportionately higher whenever a particular one of them is so much as mentioned. Like, a picture of Batman and Damien doesn’t set off a flurry of questions about why this man isn’t in his sixties.

Like, sure, they’re both dumb. People would probably agree on that. But it’s been twenty years and you’d think people would get used to the idea that the cartoon character isn’t getting older. And it’s really weird how the show for elementary kids is held to higher scrutiny of realistic character progression than a decades old crime drama series.

I think its because comic books have such loose continuity anyway, and have had such from the beginning, while anime/manga tend to be more linear and have defined story progression.

Like, there have been so many different Batmans (Batmen?), different incarnations, different dimensions, alternate histories, etc, that "Batman" is more of a set of characteristics that usually is portrayed by Bruce Wayne (but not always), while most anime characters are their own characters.

Also, most anime don't run very long, certainly none anywhere close to as long as Batman. And those that do go on for a while, like Naruto, do portray the characters aging/growing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, anime has characters like that too. The kid from Doraemon comes to mind. Detective Conan is another example; if that character aged with the series he’d be the age he was before he shrunk. Astro Boy’s human friends never got older alongside him despite not having the excuse of being robots. So on and so forth.

Hell, Red and the main cast of the first arc of Pokémon Special has barely aged at all, just like Ash. Years have passed by but a lot of them remain mostly the same.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

No, anime has characters like that too. The kid from Doraemon comes to mind. Detective Conan is another example; if that character aged with the series he’d be the age he was before he shrunk. Astro Boy’s human friends never got older alongside him despite not having the excuse of being robots. So on and so forth.

Hell, Red and the main cast of the first arc of Pokémon Special has barely aged at all, just like Ash. Years have passed by but a lot of them remain mostly the same.

The Special/Adventures characters do explicitly age, though. They don't undergo radical changes in appearance to reflect it, but that's just a matter of art style.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

The Special/Adventures characters do explicitly age, though. They don't undergo radical changes in appearance to reflect it, but that's just a matter of art style.

Huh. Have they mentioned like a specific age, or have they just mentioned years passing? Because if its the latter, that’s not much different from what the anime does, and from what I’ve seen since GSC everyone’s between in a holding pattern, appearance wise.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

Huh. Have they mentioned like a specific age, or have they just mentioned years passing? Because if its the latter, that’s not much different from what the anime does, and from what I’ve seen since GSC everyone’s between in a holding pattern, appearance wise.

Not sure, but Bulbapedia lists Adventures!Red's age as 20. :shrug: And it's been a long time since I've read Adventures, but I remember Red getting older.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 1, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nodosaur posted:

Short answer: far more people care about Anime than Comic Books.

Long effort post i don't care if this is a wendy's or mcdonald's drivethru:
It's an inherent difference in what people want in storytelling in the west vs japan. In Japan, having a familiar character go through all sorts of hijinks is enjoyable. It is very much more about the travel than the destination, so it doesn't matter if Conan never gets the cure and becomes older again, him getting into mysteries every week is what the people want. Meanwhile, in the west, that sort of storytelling became frowned upon somewhere in the 90s and early 00s. Serialized television took off, and therefore sitcoms that reset everything at the end of the episode were deemed lesser.

Comic Books got hit with that. Sure, there's a hundred other reasons why readership in comics is dying more and more each year, why the big 2 keep poisoning the well, but nonetheless, stories without definitive ends are a good reason for that. It's why Mangas that do have a set storyline (My Hero Academia or One Piece) with an ending and progression continuously outsell Batman or Spider-man. The west just likes serialized stories more now, and anime and manga that offer that take off here. And why Comic book adaptations have a massive appeal.

tl;dr westeners think comic batman and ash are dumb, but Edward Elric and Walter White are cool beans.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

The animation is the most consistent the anime has ever been, for the most part. It's just not to some people's tastes.

Are you sure about that?

(SM092 - Turning the Other Mask)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nodosaur posted:

Detective Conan is a weird case, because despite people not aging, the world around them still clearly does. Conan and crew have smartphones and access to modern laptops now, despite having old flip phones and CRT PCs when the story began. Recently, the anime featured an arc where they go to Kyoto for a school trip, and when it ended, there were a couple episodes of filler with the Detective Boys and whatever else. Then, after like a month of those episodes, the next one had them just getting back from the school trip. There's obviously no actual lore attached to it, but it felt a lot like the endless arcs of Ash and co stumbling upon weeks worth of adventures in the same nameless forest, only to come out one day after leaving the last area. One nice thing is that Pokémon does seem to keep its tech the same, so you don't have that awkward transition when going through the "important plot episodes."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Takoluka posted:

One nice thing is that Pokémon does seem to keep its tech the same, so you don't have that awkward transition when going through the "important plot episodes."

Tech in the Pokemon anime is actually pretty weird and inconsistent in some ways. The biggest thing is the Team Rocket trio's mechs, which they apparently buy cheaply from some Acme-like company and/or build overnight on their own with a box of scraps. Better criminals like Lawrence III and Hunter J naturally have better mechs...but government agents like the Jennys and Looker don't use mechs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Silver2195 posted:

Tech in the Pokemon anime is actually pretty weird and inconsistent in some ways. The biggest thing is the Team Rocket trio's mechs, which they apparently buy cheaply from some Acme-like company and/or build overnight on their own with a box of scraps. Better criminals like Lawrence III and Hunter J naturally have better mechs...but government agents like the Jennys and Looker don't use mechs.

Subliminal messaging to try and discourage children from thinking Gundams are good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like how Clemont always respected Team Rocket's mech crafting abilities

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I guess you could argue that the idea is that relying on technology for combat indicates a lack of faith in your Pokemon, so "good guys" don't do it. It's still absurd that the Rockets' "cheap" mechs are as powerful as they are and get made so quickly (sometimes seemingly in a matter of minutes), but I guess that's :thejoke:.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

My gut says it's cause Batman has been around for like 80 years or so, and people have become desensitized, but I agree with you, it's a double standard for sure.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

They were intentionally written like that. Individually, Jessie, James and Meowth are brilliant people and Pokémon who can succeed at virtually anything that doesn't involve stealing Ash's Pikachu. However they chose the most sisyphean of tasks because that's their whole shtick in the anime.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Game Freak loving sucks now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Vinylshadow posted:

Are you sure about that?

(SM092 - Turning the Other Mask)

still yes, by far

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Grouchio posted:

What do you mean “now”?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Is there any specific reason people seem to harp on Ash over literally any other cartoon characters? Is it just because his knowledge resets each new generation? I thought it was commonly accepted cartoons don't age, just like how the Simpsons are still kids, the South Park children have gone forward all of two grades, and Stewie is still an infant.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

Grouchio posted:

Agreed—they're spending way too much time on Pokémon and not Making another Drill Dozer.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Mef989 posted:

Is there any specific reason people seem to harp on Ash over literally any other cartoon characters? Is it just because his knowledge resets each new generation? I thought it was commonly accepted cartoons don't age, just like how the Simpsons are still kids, the South Park children have gone forward all of two grades, and Stewie is still an infant.

I'm guessing because he's supposed to be becoming the greatest pokemon trainer but basically never actually grows that much in skill or accomplishments

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mef989 posted:

Probably because Pokemon is a serialized story that has cast and status quo changes very frequently only to totally reset. Those things are relatively rare in the more episodic shows like the Simpsons or South Park, where continuity barely exists.

:shrug:

To put it another way, The Simpsons can and will discard any and all continuity for the sake of a joke and ultimately every episode is almost entirely self-contained. Pokemon tries to rigidly enforce continuity in a lot of ways through constant callbacks to old episodes/characters and usually has multiple season long plotlines running at any given time. Then every 3 years the reset button is pushed and that stuff is still technically true but Ash is an idiot again despite still ostensibly being the person who's been a finalist in multiple Leagues.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 1, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would disagree he resets in characterization or skill. Especially in XY or Sun Moon he's very mature, and shown to be skilled and experienced trainer with very strong empathy. All the other characters are constantly in awe of him, and in Sun Moon he's largely taking it easy and treating it as like a gap year.

He's never been an idiot in any of these two series.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I said it before and I'll say it again: drop all the gimmicky poo poo and just focus on making the best aspects of the game better including the adventure. I don't know what the big deal about the wild area is but if it's good then by all means that's fantastic. The series started out as Ultraman level schlock and should continue being that, with the focus being monster battles and the diversity the game allows rather than stuff that might better fit a spin off. I wouldn't care if they went back to it being 2D if it meant a full game with unlimited choices and combos.

At the end of the day I'll buy the game which makes most of it moot, but I'll be damned if I don't get to bitch about something I've sunk this much money into already through 20 years of installments.

As an aside, it's sad they never take advantage of the new tech to truly update Kanto. I'd love a period-set game in an expanded version of the region based more heavily on 90s Japan.

The Golden Gael fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 1, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

The Golden Gael posted:

As an aside, it's sad they never take advantage of the new tech to truly update Kanto. I'd love a period-set game in an expanded version of the region based more heavily on 90s Japan.
no no no no no no no no no more kanto, no more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

The Golden Gael posted:

For all the crap they would receive about "Gen 1 pandering" I think this would be a phenomenal game and a great way to revisit Kanyo without yet another Gen 1 remake. Redo all of Kanto/Johto with new route designs, towns, locations, etc while keeping the general geography intact. Expand all of the cities, lengthen the routes, add in Pokemon from other generations, and make it feel new. They can even have throw backs like maybe making Blue the new professor, having old guys mention that they used to be part of a criminal organization back in the day (but that it was 20+ years ago), but otherwise have a new plot.

Hell, there could even be new starters. Maybe the new protagonist starts in the Sevii or Orange islands and starts their Kanyo journey in Vermillion City after boating over.

It's just a shame that they are so loyal to remaking RBY down to the exact layout. I really enjoyed LGPE, but it felt like they should have taken more liberties expanding the game. It was really short and the I felt the old RBY grind. Hell, I'm playing Leaf Green now and getting more enjoyment over the Sevii islands (new to me, never played this far through Leaf Green).