Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
If you want to make any money consulting/doing part 107 work, charge a lot of money and do everything you can as professionally, safely, and completely as possible and try to get the client what they need. Good clients will stick around, cheap ones will instead pay peanuts to some retard who's happy to not make any money playing with his toy. When they gently caress up their camera settings or crash their drone the client may come back to you, if not, they are not worth your time.

If you are happy to just help out and have fun doing a job with your drone without concern for making any meaningful amount of money then do it for free instead of charging 40 dollars an hour. Then if the client becomes a pain in the rear end or wants you to do something unsafe you can walk away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The thread seems to be mostly people building freestlye/race rigs, which is also interesting to me, but as a relatively new Mavic Air owner I've been having a hell of a lot of fun just going and finding interesting things to take video of, working on getting the most out of the camera, and practicing getting smooth/cinematic shots. I had some fun flying around an abandoned paper mill yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1L38U2LDms

So far I couldn't be more pleased with the Mavic Air. The amount of technology baked into this thing is pretty incredible.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Rincey posted:

The thread seems to be mostly people building freestlye/race rigs, which is also interesting to me, but as a relatively new Mavic Air owner I've been having a hell of a lot of fun just going and finding interesting things to take video of, working on getting the most out of the camera, and practicing getting smooth/cinematic shots. I had some fun flying around an abandoned paper mill yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1L38U2LDms

So far I couldn't be more pleased with the Mavic Air. The amount of technology baked into this thing is pretty incredible.

A lot of these shots rotate too far. I feel like they're panning to something interesting, but instead of focusing on it the camera keeps on going and I'm left wondering what I'm supposed to look at.

Pan is cool but try to pick a focal point of the shot instead of constantly panning to 'show more'

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No one’s paying anyone to fly a phantom. They might pay for real estate deliverables etc, but flying the thing will be a minor part of it.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Thanks for the feedback, that makes a lot of sense.

I need to do some more work on tweaking control sensitivities. By default the pan is super touchy which perpetuates the "endless circling" since once you have it carefully balanced to turn slowly you don't want to let go too soon. There's a bunch of control buffers and response curve settings though, just need to investigate it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Any of you dudes looking to sell a TX or goggles?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rincey posted:

Thanks for the feedback, that makes a lot of sense.

I need to do some more work on tweaking control sensitivities. By default the pan is super touchy which perpetuates the "endless circling" since once you have it carefully balanced to turn slowly you don't want to let go too soon. There's a bunch of control buffers and response curve settings though, just need to investigate it.

I set up my Mavic to only have 80% sensitivity on the yaw(pan), and a LOT of expo so I can really slowly start to introduce the movement and precisely taper it off when I want to without affecting altitude

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

There's a reason why pro camera rigs are a 2-man operation :D

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

This is silly.

Things I already own:
I don't know what motors and props to buy.

The frame's Thingverse page suggests "2204 size 2300kv motors, 3-cell (3s) 1300mAh lipo battery and 6? propellers".

That can of foam weights ~450g loaded. Would those motors be able to lift it?

I'm also going to buy a lighter battery, something like a ~$20 Turnigy, unless there's good reason not to.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 4, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Is this for a one-off? It's an extremely old and outdated design, so if it's something you're planning to re-use, you might want to look at a more modern solution.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Is this for a one-off? It's an extremely old and outdated design, so if it's something you're planning to re-use, you might want to look at a more modern solution.

It's going to apply a glob of expanding spray foam to a truly unreachable joist/wall gap, then move on to a career in amateur robotry.

The Source One looks neat, but I see a huge variety of frame types: frames with beefier arms, frames with side carbon plates instead of vertical standoffs, mavic-looking things, etc. What would you recommend?

I have access to a CNC router, a laser cutter, and 3d printers, if it matters.

I feel I should mention that the foam application will involve a proboscis, though shooting from a distance sounds fun.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 4, 2019

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't see how some other contraption of rods/pipes, and your extant camera and servo equipment would be less viable or accurate.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I think the success of this will depends more on pilot skill than robotics.

-Source One is undoubtedly a better design.
- You'll need a FPV camera to line up
- 3S is probably not enough. (And 5000mAh is wayy too much). In reality you need something that can hover for 3-4 minutes. It'll be far easier to build and then recharge as needed.
- The forces from the probe could have some rather unintended consequences.
- FC? An IMU on it's own wont do it.

It could be a fun project, but without previous experience in building quads, this will be tricky.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That thing is begging for a pilot light and a can of hairspray.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

This. And the job it’s meant to do will require a world class pilot. And can probably be done with a long pole/boom lift.

If you want to do something like this stick your spray can on a mavic.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I don't see how some other contraption of rods/pipes, and your extant camera and servo equipment would be less viable or accurate.

I appreciate how you phrased this, unironically

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I think the success of this will depends more on pilot skill than robotics.

evil_bunnY posted:

the job it’s meant to do will require a world class pilot.

I've watched The Right Stuff a good half-dozen times. I've got this. :clint:

quote:

- You'll need a FPV camera to line up
- 3S is probably not enough. (And 5000mAh is wayy too much). In reality you need something that can hover for 3-4 minutes. It'll be far easier to build and then recharge as needed.
- The forces from the probe could have some rather unintended consequences.

^ this is precisely the sort of feedback I need ^
- FPV: I hoped to avoid it but you're doubtlessly right
- 4S, then. What capacity would let me hover for 3-4 minutes with that sort of load? What sort of motors/props do I need?
- this is an excellent point that I had overlooked

quote:

- FC? An IMU on it's own wont do it.

It looks like the nrf52832 can do both radio and flight control, unless I'm missing something:
https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/nordic/nordic-blog/b/blog/posts/nrf52-quadcopter

It could be a fun project, but without previous experience in building quads, this will be tricky.

It will probably fail spectacularly, but it will still be worthwhile

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 4, 2019

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

:ssh:

quote:

And can probably be done with a long pole/boom lift.

But a pole costs money, you see. Unlike drones.

The terrain immediately around the structure precludes the use of a lift, unfortunately.

quote:

If you want to do something like this stick your spray can on a mavic.

Man I loving wish.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 4, 2019

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

scandoslav posted:

I've watched The Right Stuff a good half-dozen times. I've got this. :clint:

^ this is precisely the sort of feedback I need ^
- FPV: I hoped to avoid it but you're doubtlessly right
- 4S, then. What capacity would let me hover for 3-4 minutes with that sort of load? What sort of motors/props do I need?
- this is an excellent point that I had overlooked

It looks like the nrf52832 can do both radio and flight control, unless I'm missing something:
https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/nordic/nordic-blog/b/blog/posts/nrf52-quadcopter

Suspicious lack of video on that page to see what they define as 'stable flight'. Also, a tiny brushed quad is a far cry from what you are trying to do.

You need:
A modern FC. Get an AIO
ESCs. (That you know what are)
Motors. I actually don't know what's good for 6-7" props these days. I either fly 4" or 60"+.
Battery: A couple of good 1800mAh 4S.
Transmitter + RX. No, Bluetooth is not going to hack it.
Props
FPV gear.

It's probably cheaper and an awful lot faster to buy a pole.
You project is hard for an experienced drone builder/pilot...tuning this thing would be hard too.

Edit: Go spend a few days reading here:
https://oscarliang.com/

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 4, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So I've been playing around with a Blade Nano for a year or so now, and I think I want to take the plunge into fpv. I got a RTF combo, so I'm starting from scratch. I'm going to be flying 80% indoor and the outdoor stuff is going to be limited to small areas of local parks I've found which generally don't have any people around.

So, that said, this is the setup I've laid out, does it look reasonable?

• TinyHawk S (BNF)
  • Eachine EV800D goggles
  • Taranis X7S (better to just get the X7?)
  • A couple 550mAh 1s 50c batteries(?)

Am I screwing any of this up? Complete noob, so I appreciate the help.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Stringent posted:

So I've been playing around with a Blade Nano for a year or so now, and I think I want to take the plunge into fpv. I got a RTF combo, so I'm starting from scratch. I'm going to be flying 80% indoor and the outdoor stuff is going to be limited to small areas of local parks I've found which generally don't have any people around.

• TinyHawk S (BNF)
  • Eachine EV800D goggles
  • Taranis X7S (better to just get the X7?)

You'll want to find a decent 1s multi-charger, but other than that it'll be fine.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Congrats on your class 4 radio license. Can I borrow your study guides?

E: make sure your transmitter has the 技適マーク

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 5, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corky Romanovsky posted:

警察死ね

*edit*
Yeah, I remember you talking about it and I've seen your previous posts about it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

xsf421 posted:

You'll want to find a decent 1s multi-charger, but other than that it'll be fine.

The one bundled in here is ok?

https://www.getfpv.com/emax-tinyhawk-s-1-2s-micro-brushless-fpv-drone-bnf.html

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Corky Romanovsky posted:

E: make sure your transmitter has the 技適マーク

Oh, that reminds me, I was going to haul this to the US and back with me, have you ever done that? A bit of googling seems to suggest I'd be best off leaving all my batteries at home (including the radio's) and just getting new ones in the US?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

Oh, that reminds me, I was going to haul this to the US and back with me, have you ever done that? A bit of googling seems to suggest I'd be best off leaving all my batteries at home (including the radio's) and just getting new ones in the US?

Heading home in a few weeks myself. Looks like batteries must be under some unthinkable limit of Watt-hours (100?), should have plug caps, and must be in carry-on. Best to have them in battery bags, and have a copy of the rules/policy with you because sometimes staff don't know the restrictions and are quick to say no.

Need to confirm if ETOPS flights have any special restrictions, though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, gently caress that noise, I'll just buy some in the US.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Checked ANA, same as FAA restrictions. You can have unlimited number of batteries less than 100Wh each, in the cabin with you.

E: at 1s, that would be like a 26,000mAh battery, and you could still bring an unlimited number of them

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 5, 2019

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Stringent posted:

You'll want more than a couple of batteries. A full 1C charge takes ~45mins, and you'll get 3-4mins flight per battery. 5 or 6 batteries is probably more a realistic amount.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Slash posted:

You'll want more than a couple of batteries. A full 1C charge takes ~45mins, and you'll get 3-4mins flight per battery. 5 or 6 batteries is probably more a realistic amount.

Yeah, I got a 5 pack.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

A friend gifted me a Turnigy 9X that's been modded with FrSky DJT module, backlight, lipo, and er9x firmware. Oh and also a HobbyKing 250 copter in the form of a basket case.

So now I'm gonna order a FatShark Attitude V5 and TinyHawk S!

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

It's probably cheaper and an awful lot faster to buy a pole.
You project is hard for an experienced drone builder/pilot...tuning this thing would be hard too.

Yeah this has evolved from "build a parts bin drone to do a thing" to "build a parts bin drone, and also do a thing (with a pole)"

I mean, I'm still gonna try, but I will give up far more readily now.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 6, 2019

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Now that I've had a chance to put it through its paces and refine it a bit, I can safely say my new build has lived up to all of my hopes and dreams:

It's a mostly stock Beta 85x w EOS2 with the following tweaks:

BetaFPV F4 Brushless FC and ESC 1.0 (The OG FC/ESC for the 85x, there's a 2.0 now)
Airblade 1105 10000kv motors
GNB 2s 520mAh LiHV
Lumenier Micro AXII (Which might be stock now, looking at the latest batch of 85x pictures?)

The little guy screams for about 4 minutes. You could theoretically squeeze a 3s on there, but if the grass stains were any indication, I'm finding trouble quite fast enough on 2s, I don't think I could control 3s.

I initially downsized the camera to a z02 and cheap Tiny Whoop canopy, to shave some grams but I cannot recommend this, as the canopy just doesn't have the strength to do its job if things go wrong (kept shattering canopies and harming the VTX/antenna), and it's a pain in the rear end to squeeze the camera holder underneath those.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Is there any reason not to pick up a Diatone Mamba Power Tower Mk2 (F405 Mini Mk2 & F25 Mk2 ESC) 20x20 Stack/Combo for a newbie/casual 5" quad?

Are there any goon-preferred retailers? Are the people behind X or Y store particularly Solid Dudes?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Edit: Go spend a few days reading here:
https://oscarliang.com/

I love this motherfucker so much I signed up for Patreon.

If I understand Patreon correctly this means he'll send me nudes.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

scandoslav posted:

If I understand Patreon correctly this means he'll send me nudes.

Lowtax owes a lot of goons nudes if this is true.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I picked up an Eachine E10, and I loving love it. I should've done this decades ago.

I definitely need yaw on the right stick, though. I think Mode 4 would work best with my muscle memory. I might ~hack~ the TX to try it out.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Lowtax owes a lot of goons nudes if this is true.

SMH if you don't already have both sex tapes

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 8, 2019

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

scandoslav posted:

I definitely need yaw on the right stick, though. I think Mode 4 would work best with my muscle memory. I might ~hack~ the TX to try it out.

Literally everyone i know flies Mode 2. Learning to fly in any other mode you may run into difficulties in the future sharing models/controllers with other people, if that's not a concern then feel free to ignore me :)

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

I thought I wanted to switch my sticks around at first too, but in the end I decided to just suck it up and learn. After a few hours of practice Mode 2 started feeling totally natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CloFan posted:

A friend gifted me a Turnigy 9X that's been modded with FrSky DJT module, backlight, lipo, and er9x firmware. Oh and also a HobbyKing 250 copter in the form of a basket case.
It is now 2005