Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i am getting a cat tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
My cat is old, and sick, and laying in her filth when it happens and I'm not present to clean it up.
Lilac is 17 years old (18 in October), has kidney disease, and keeps vomiting up the medication for that. Specific cat food may have prolonged her life as much as it can.
I think her quality of life has declined too far. She's not mobile enough to move to the litter box on her own (or not willing, afraid of younger cat? there is one younger cat in the place) and vomits several times a day.
I thought she would make it to 18.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Awww, so sorry to hear that. Not an easy time :(

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
poo poo, that sucks. :(

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah that really sucks.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

One of my cats has started doing tiny pukes. She seems generally well(possibly more sluggish than usual, but they both are and I put it down to the warm weather) but in the last few days I've been finding teeny lil puddles of what I assume are puke in spots she frequents - on the towel I left folded up on the table that was her favourite place to lounge, on the clothes box she likes sitting on in the morning while I'm trying to get dressed, once on the floor, and on her favourite perch on the cat tree. They're really tiny coin-sized puddles of goop and a lil bit of hair - it looks like mostly just saliva. Is this something to be concerned about, or just cat being cat?

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

floofyscorp posted:

One of my cats has started doing tiny pukes. She seems generally well(possibly more sluggish than usual, but they both are and I put it down to the warm weather) but in the last few days I've been finding teeny lil puddles of what I assume are puke in spots she frequents - on the towel I left folded up on the table that was her favourite place to lounge, on the clothes box she likes sitting on in the morning while I'm trying to get dressed, once on the floor, and on her favourite perch on the cat tree. They're really tiny coin-sized puddles of goop and a lil bit of hair - it looks like mostly just saliva. Is this something to be concerned about, or just cat being cat?
If this is new, I'd recommend a vet checkup just in case. Basic hairballs can cause this, but so can roundworms, indigestion, etc.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

So the answer to this is probably going to be to get a second litterbox, but Ty has started not burying his poop, and I've found a piece in a couple different places a few times now. He also seems like he's missing the box? There's pee outside it, which I can't tell is because he doesn't have enough litter, too much litter, the litterbox is too small, or what.

cattax!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What size is the litterbox you're using? Like when he's in it, how much of the space does he take up?

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

What size is the litterbox you're using? Like when he's in it, how much of the space does he take up?

Probably around half of it. It's the biggest one they had, but Ty is a large cat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm, half should be okay but if he's a cat that likes something roomier, you could try getting a larger tray, like underbed storage containers, etc.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I bought one of those under the bed storage containers for cheap as Toaster's first litter tray until I could pick up one I liked more.

Def second that idea.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Any container that's flat bottomed and easily scoopable basically!

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
Just wanted to say thanks again to the folks who recommended daily food dish swaps and the stainless steel fountains!

We had our vet visit today for vaccine updates and a general health check. Vet says all is well, they are in good health other than Wheatley's chin. We have antibiotics now for that and he said that what the thread suggested was exactly what he was going to recommend!
We've been advised to consider transitioning them onto a senior food soon as they turn 9 this fall but since they seem to be doing quite well on their current food there is no rush.
They were amazingly well behaved for the vet and the nurses just loved them.

Cat tax:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

We tried the damp towel thing and they didn’t hate it!

Granted it wasn’t quite as warm so I’ll try it again Sunday when the temperature promises to hit 39°C.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

All this talk about bonded cats got me a little jealous. My two Siamese buddies were rescued at separate times and I don't think ever fully bonded. They certainly don't hate each other, they sleep on different sides of the same windowsill and they play often with no hissing or growling. But god damnit I want to see two cats real snugg and it just ain't gonna happen with these two. One cat I think is a little more open to the affection from the other, but mostly one of them just likes to bite the other on the rear end.

They go back and forth on who's chasing who. I saw a textbook linebacker tackle the other day, arm around the chest and shoulder style. It was awesome. Love watching them goof around

My two moggies came bonded but have drifted apart a bit over time

One year ago:

Two days ago:

They've grown but much to Meko the torties annoyance the basket hasn't

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hello my fellow cat-owners and lovers :3: I haven't been posting much but I always keep up... Things have actually been changing quite a bit for Jackie, in a positive way!

As I've mentioned, I'd been living alone with my cat for about... ~7 years or thereabouts, and last summer I moved in with some - a couple of guys.. i mean, two guys who are a couple. We had a fourth buddy of ours move in, and he's really mellow and fun to be around - the amusing part is that his girlfriend (who practically lives here) is just like, utterly and totally in love with Jackie - she's always trying to get Jackie to come over and fawning over her. She recently came to me and was totally thrilled and told me how Jackie sat on her lap for an *entire hour* - though of course she was dozing off a bit. But she was just going on about how perfect and soft and comforting it was to have Jackie on her lap, purring, and how sleepy it made her. Jackie's good at that.

She's not the only one in the house with a crush on my cat, though! One of my other roommates who I've been living with for almost a year now, Jackie always liked him quite a bit - after me he's probably her favorite person at the moment. She lets him pick her up and cradle her like a baby, too, which she barely lets me do. And because Jackie is Jackie, this roommate totally fell for her and also just totally adores her,

The funniest thing? For the longest time his profile picture would always be like, a picture of him with his fiancee/husband. A couple of months ago it changed to a picture of him and *Jackie*, which is where it's still set to. I dunno, I just find that really kinda awesome/funny in a way xD

Oops, time for the cat tax

(I love this picture of Jackie even without her face the light and lines and framing is so perfect)

I just kinda mean... well... I've always been of the opinion that Jackie is an EXCEPTIONALLY great cat. But like, everyone kinda feels that way about their own cat, right? Or poo poo, maybe not. Some cats are just 'easier to get along and deal with, some are harder, it varies. Jackie just happens to implicitly trust almost all humans over any other animal, and she's also got almost preternaturally soft fur - she almost feels more like a really luxuriously made brand new living plushie than a cat, sometimes. The fact that you can pick her up, hug her, cover her in kisses, bury your face in her soft belly fur, whatever and she won'y scratch or hiss or even thump her tail as long as you don't push it. Everyone just *really* loves her - I mean, she's more well-liked than I am! But that's to be expected.

You know, I suppose I'm actually a little proud, maybe? I've been Jackie's one and only 'Human' for almost her whole life, even before I technically adopted her. Given that I just spent 7 years living with JUST this cat, her behavior is, in certain ways, a reflection of myself and how I treated her. She was not very friendly towards humans when I first adopted her, either. It just... I don't know, I guess it's like I take *some* amount of parental pride, in a way - I'm probably totally insane >_>

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kaworu posted:

I'm probably totally insane >_>

I mean, you are a cat owner...

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It's just the toxoplasmosis.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

My flat mate just sent me this

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Zwille posted:

My flat mate just sent me this

That is unironically adorable.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Trying to figure out what to do with a new(ish) kitten. We have two adult cats that get along reasonably well but don't really sleep together or cuddle. The male is very friendly & often wants to be held, etc... The female is very skittish but never aggressive.

The new kitten is ~3 months (from a foster situation, was comfortable with multiple adult cats). We're past any initial hissing/aggressiveness, but of course she's a kitten and wants to play all the time, but neither of the adults do. We have lots of toys that she likes, but the reality is whenever the other cats are around all she wants to do is attack them constantly. It's just playing but they aren't interested at all, and just get aggravated & eventually hiss at her, but she doesn't take a hint.

The male fights back a little, and mainly it's only a problem when he wants to sleep on his cat tree and she won't stop attacking his tail. The adult female though is absolutely stressed to the limit, hiding under the bed all day, not eating, etc..

Any tips on discouraging her from attacking other cats that clearly aren't interested in fighting? It's really looking like we're going to end up with 3 cats, none of which get along at all and none of which are friendly and/or stress-relieving for each other, but instead just all constantly stress each other out.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Rescue Toaster posted:

Trying to figure out what to do with a new(ish) kitten. We have two adult cats that get along reasonably well but don't really sleep together or cuddle. The male is very friendly & often wants to be held, etc... The female is very skittish but never aggressive.

The new kitten is ~3 months (from a foster situation, was comfortable with multiple adult cats). We're past any initial hissing/aggressiveness, but of course she's a kitten and wants to play all the time, but neither of the adults do. We have lots of toys that she likes, but the reality is whenever the other cats are around all she wants to do is attack them constantly. It's just playing but they aren't interested at all, and just get aggravated & eventually hiss at her, but she doesn't take a hint.

The male fights back a little, and mainly it's only a problem when he wants to sleep on his cat tree and she won't stop attacking his tail. The adult female though is absolutely stressed to the limit, hiding under the bed all day, not eating, etc..

Any tips on discouraging her from attacking other cats that clearly aren't interested in fighting? It's really looking like we're going to end up with 3 cats, none of which get along at all and none of which are friendly and/or stress-relieving for each other, but instead just all constantly stress each other out.

I don't think you can stop a kitten from being a kitten, but you can and should give the older cats some refuge by fencing off their cat tree and other essential facilities. Make it something high enough that they can jump but the kitten can't. You can also up your playtime with the kitten to assuage her urge to pounce, and tire her out.

Of course, the other option is to get (or foster) yet another kitten that will love playing with her, but that puts you in peril of becoming a four-cat household...

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
We do tire her out as much as we can. The reality though is she's already more agile than either of our other cats, so there's nowhere they can go that she can't follow, so she gleefully invades all their previously safe spaces.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Catertainment:

We hung a small bird feeder outside out kitchen window. Noodles spends about 8 hours a day guarding it and doing that weird primal clacking noise thing when they're at it. She loves it. Keeps her occupied. The morning dove taunts and drives her into a frenzy.

We just can't ever open this window.

owls or something fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 1, 2019

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

We have a feeder hanging on our balcony that keeps the cats busy all day. When we're home we open the balcony door but nobody's been hurt yet besides Loki's pride because I saw him rush a pigeon, then turn tail and dash back into the safety of the flat when he realised the pigeon was bigger than him and wasn't backing down.

I need to find a better spot for the feeder though because our balcony is covered in seeds and bird poo poo now :argh:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Hmm. I'm thinking of buying a bird feeder just so my cats can watch.
I've put nets around my balcony, but I guess i could put a feeder outside the nets, so my cats can only watch.
Is this a decent idea?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

There’s a middle-aged (i think) kitty in our street who’s got massive fluffball syndrome. S/he will - once you make eye contact - lay in front of you and yell for pets. Naturally I oblige whenever that happens.

However there’s big balls of matted fur hanging from their belly and I don’t know who the kitty belongs to. Would it be dumb to just have a scissor on me next time and cut those things off carefully? Like pull a bit and cut the hair as far away from the body as possible?

Cat tax!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
New cat owner here. Saw that the previous nutrition thread got archived, and I'm wondering what the preferred goto cat food is. I've heard that Blue is a pretty good brand for dry stuff. Any suggestions/thread I should be reading instead?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

olives black posted:

New cat owner here. Saw that the previous nutrition thread got archived, and I'm wondering what the preferred goto cat food is. I've heard that Blue is a pretty good brand for dry stuff. Any suggestions/thread I should be reading instead?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549663

You'll get a million opinions on this so pick your favorite. All dry food is bad for cats because they probably won't drink enough water and live a life of mild dehydration at best.

Blue is nutritionally pretty average if dry is the route you're going. Something like Wellness Core or Instinct maybe a bit more protein and less filler.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Slider, during daylight hours: humans? Eh, whatever. I'm napping here.

Slider, when I'm about to go to sleep or leave for work: I LOVE ALL HUMANS! PET ME! PLAY WITH ME! SNUGGLE ME!

Lady could you reverse your calibration?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

owls or something posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549663

You'll get a million opinions on this so pick your favorite. All dry food is bad for cats because they probably won't drink enough water and live a life of mild dehydration at best.

Blue is nutritionally pretty average if dry is the route you're going. Something like Wellness Core or Instinct maybe a bit more protein and less filler.

Awesome, thank you!

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Zwille posted:

However there’s big balls of matted fur hanging from their belly and I don’t know who the kitty belongs to. Would it be dumb to just have a scissor on me next time and cut those things off carefully? Like pull a bit and cut the hair as far away from the body as possible?

I really wouldn't chance it, it's easy to miss with scissors and nick the cat. Cat skin is like saran wrap too so have fun taking steetcat to the vet when he/she needs sutures.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Anyone have any insight into the self scooping boxes I am thinking about getting one when I move into my new house. I already have a timed feeder and a water fountain I figure the next step is automatic scoops.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zwille posted:

There’s a middle-aged (i think) kitty in our street who’s got massive fluffball syndrome. S/he will - once you make eye contact - lay in front of you and yell for pets. Naturally I oblige whenever that happens.

Cat tax!

I'd suggest a Furminator, personally. When Tuna gets clumps (which he has been this summer, I think it's a humidity thing), some work with a Furminator pulls them out pretty good, and he doesn't seem to mind too much.

Also, bought a shitload of cat grass the other day to replacing an ailing potted plant, and Tuna has enjoyed shoving his face in it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

talktapes posted:

I really wouldn't chance it, it's easy to miss with scissors and nick the cat. Cat skin is like saran wrap too so have fun taking steetcat to the vet when he/she needs sutures.

While I agree it can be easy to miss and nick the cat, it's not that hard to snip out bigger mats. If you're worried about nicking skin then just cut the mat directly rather than trying to completely cut it out. Also, a comb can help keep you from accidentally nicking the cat.

I know it's anecdotal, but the big old grumpy cat I had put down a few months ago would swat/hiss at/bite me for a variety of reasons, but he never seemed to do it when I was cutting mats out of his fur, even the time when did actually nick him. It always seemed like he appreciated it. And this was a cat that recognized and hated the nail clipper scissors.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Righto, I’ll take our comb with me when I go out and try and comb those fuckers out first. If that doesn’t work I’ll check out the furminator. Ol’ fluff ball seems like they would love a good combing. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and advice.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

talktapes posted:

We made the mistake of using scissors on my old childhood cat Snuggles. She had a decent hole in her skin, it thankfully never really bled and just healed up over the next few days.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

When cutting fur you wanna like pinch your fingers behind the mat and cut against your own hand, that way you can't accidentally cut the cat. This works for kids too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mistaya posted:

When cutting fur you wanna like pinch your fingers behind the mat and cut against your own hand, that way you can't accidentally cut the cat. This works for kids too!

Or use a comb. Slide the comb behind the mat and use the comb as a guide/shield.