Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

This tripped me up when I started: Slow is an attack speed slow, Heavy is a movement speed slow. Arm's Length applies Actual Slow, The Good One

Note also that slow only works on trash packs and in the over world. Bosses are immune.

:rip: Shadowflare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm lagging behind a bit. Just got to (70 MSQ) the Alphinaud/Alisaie branching questline and unlocked new leves/hunts. I'm liking the gradual introduction to the new areas.

Given the general reactions to the MSQ this time around, I am so happy I'm focusing on that and not letting myself get distracted by side-content (for now). Though I am working on GNB leveling. It's just something extra to do for EXP/poetics when I can't commit time to a roulette.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 3, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm level 73 and just got to the Nu Mou, wow what a good loving expansion. I'm floored by the storytelling already and as an FFXI vet hearing a few people say 'the ending is better than Chains was' is a powerful endorsement considering I'm only mostly ashamed to say that storyline made me cry.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I know I joked about this earlier but now the game is explicitly referencing Alphinaud having a crush on Estinien.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I'm level 73 and just got to the Nu Mou, wow what a good loving expansion. I'm floored by the storytelling already and as an FFXI vet hearing a few people say 'the ending is better than Chains was' is a powerful endorsement considering I'm only mostly ashamed to say that storyline made me cry.

:stare: That's a mighty tall order so I'm really looking forward to playing through this!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kitfox88 posted:

holy poo poo the face you make when calling your pact bud to you in faetown and they chew you out

'awwwwwwww piss.'

Feo Ul is good and cute.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

victrix posted:

:siren: Attention all tanks :siren:

You have Arm's Length now

Arm's Length slows anything hitting you by 20% for 15s

Use this on trash pulls

yw

holy poo poo. thats awesome.

also paladin is really drat fun, i have it at 72 and now that I have a aoe magic combo its fuckin smooth. Cant wait for it to be instant and get my gap closer and poo poo, im gonna be flying all over droppin magic bombs on people.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Post credits stinger: Well that's sure one way to end the Black Rose subplot. :stare:

Welcome back, friend.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Coming back to this game after not playing since around the time Heavensward released is a bit daunting (level 56 dragoon, still in ARR MSQ). There are almost 40 dungeons and trials I can get dropped into from the daily roulette and I don’t know the mechanics of any of them. That is like 6 hours of Youtube walkthroughs to review.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm having some real difficulty balancing my need to know more about the story with the fact that I'm leveling fairly slow by the standards others are setting.

Curse you work.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have to say the conclusion to Eulmore's story felt really unsatisfying to me. Their whole society is based top to bottom on the exploitation of the lower class in order to sustain their hedonistic euphoria (hey, that's the name of the city!) while the world crumbles around them. But I guess all you have to do is take out the guy in charge of everything, maybe have a really smart guy lecture them about how bad they've been, and suddenly they all come to their senses and become really nice people? Humans just don't work like that. I guess this really is a fantasy story.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Eccles posted:

Coming back to this game after not playing since around the time Heavensward released is a bit daunting (level 56 dragoon, still in ARR MSQ). There are almost 40 dungeons and trials I can get dropped into from the daily roulette and I don’t know the mechanics of any of them. That is like 6 hours of Youtube walkthroughs to review.

just do them blind

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

serious norman posted:

How come Orbonne Monestary is so hard for people? When you enter it, about 5 people withdraw immediately. I've played it 7 times now, never got past Thunder God (people drop after first wipe). Never been in a full raid, always missing people.

I just want to finish the drat storyline.

I don't know why anybody withdraws immediately from an alliance raid tbh

Yeah there are a lot of mechanics and aoes everywhere, but death is not remotely as punishing as in other mmos, and people aren't really going to notice the third dps dying a lot because they don't know a fight when 5 dps and a healer and tank just got offed in one move

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Fister Roboto posted:

I have to say the conclusion to Eulmore's story felt really unsatisfying to me. Their whole society is based top to bottom on the exploitation of the lower class in order to sustain their hedonistic euphoria (hey, that's the name of the city!) while the world crumbles around them. But I guess all you have to do is take out the guy in charge of everything, maybe have a really smart guy lecture them about how bad they've been, and suddenly they all come to their senses and become really nice people? Humans just don't work like that. I guess this really is a fantasy story.

I think that's a good point, but I also think what we saw isn't really a resolution. We got rid of the leader and dealt with the meol thing, but them all coming together was a response to an immediate emergency in the presence of people who could step into the vacuum created by the loss of Vauthry. I think dealing with the actual recovery is going to be more long term, if we do it in game.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Wewh

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Eccles posted:

You don't really need to know the mechanics of any of them ahead of time if you're paying attention, but also just open the wiki summary of the bosses when you load in. I've had zero problems and have also watched zero videos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

It's worth remembering that a lot of them genuinely did not know how awful they were being. Which does not excuse their behavior, as Alphanerd said, it does recontextualize it. They thought they were helping people a lot of the time and unfortunately bought fully into the crazy death cult that suggested they were in the right. Once they get it thrown in their face they realize how awful they have been while they were trying to be nice. We see the other part in guys like the general and the leader who were both pretty much "gently caress you all." In reality there should have been a lot more gently caress You Alls but on the other hand they don't really have the power to say go gently caress yourself without Sin Eaters backing them up.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I'm about halfway through Stormblood's msq and I'm so freaking annoyed. It seems like the main plot cycle thus far has been "the scooby gang rolls into a new town - > everyone hates us —> let's do menial tasks for the next hour - > Garlean team rocket does something psychopathic - > everyone loves us now - > repeat" it's happened like 4 or 5 times now and it just feels like I'm spinning my wheels. I just am hammering this out now not out of interest for Stormblood's plot, but because I want to get to what seems to be the much better Shadowbringers plot.

On the plus side, I'm leveling through Stormblood's as gunbreaker and having a blast.

I'm trying to decide what I want to level after GNB. The state of the roulette queues betting what they are it seems like a healer is a smart choice, but my highest was SCH. I wasn't real hot on it back in HW to begin with and I'm not jazzed about the changes since. That coupled with the fact that I'm not interested in summoner means I think it's time to shelf it. I've got a fair spot of disposable income, was thinking about buying a fast track for whm or ast, since the former is like level 20 and the latter 30. Not to jump on the bandwagon but it seems like WHM is in a pretty good spot this xpac, might be worth my while.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

So I'm about halfway through Stormblood's msq and I'm so freaking annoyed. It seems like the main plot cycle thus far has been "the scooby gang rolls into a new town - > everyone hates us —> let's do menial tasks for the next hour - > Garlean team rocket does something psychopathic - > everyone loves us now - > repeat" it's happened like 4 or 5 times now and it just feels like I'm spinning my wheels. I just am hammering this out now not out of interest for Stormblood's plot, but because I want to get to what seems to be the much better Shadowbringers plot.

You nailed it. Stormblood's story was a mess for a variety of reasons. Shadowbringers is significantly better.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I agreed, but there are npcs (at least one) who begrudge you for lifting the veil on them. Guy at the bar was quite happy to keep enjoying his time.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I don't like how WHM stone and air are upgraded to unaspected abilities.
Everything else, I like. I'm definitely staying with bunnygirl, dancer is fun, the story is much more interesting than stormblood

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

DeathSandwich posted:

On the plus side, I'm leveling through Stormblood's as gunbreaker and having a blast.

I'm trying to decide what I want to level after GNB. The state of the roulette queues betting what they are it seems like a healer is a smart choice, but my highest was SCH. I wasn't real hot on it back in HW to begin with and I'm not jazzed about the changes since. That coupled with the fact that I'm not interested in summoner means I think it's time to shelf it. I've got a fair spot of disposable income, was thinking about buying a fast track for whm or ast, since the former is like level 20 and the latter 30. Not to jump on the bandwagon but it seems like WHM is in a pretty good spot this xpac, might be worth my while.

Stormblood had some really good spots (the Steppe, the Four Lords, the Ruby Sea, Fordola and Yotsuyu, Zenos) and then some very just "why is this here stuff?" (Ala Mhigo besides a certain character, 2 of the main party characters, one of which is the oblivious Goku and the other is a boring wet blanket)

It's wierd, but Stormblood's story is way better when it focuses on the antagonists and not the heros

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 1, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Shy posted:

I don't like how WHM stone and air are upgraded to unaspected abilities.
Everything else, I like. I'm definitely staying with bunnygirl, dancer is fun, the story is much more interesting than stormblood

Yeah. My biggest complaint is how I lost my metronome. I no longer get this constant *crunch* *crunch* *crunch* every 2.3 seconds.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Thundarr posted:

At first I didn't know what to make of Emet's turn as Q but it quickly became one of my favorite parts of the expansion. Like somebody else mentioned, the slouch and lazy eyes seemed to fit a smug rear end in a top hat perfectly, but then it turns out he's been carrying on this burden for ages and you see those character traits in a completely different light. It's still impossible to reconcile what he wants with what you want but it's actually possible to understand and sympathize to an extent. Yes they gave the ooga booga spooky ghost guys a compelling motivation. A+.

On the one hand, sympathy for the devil is such a well-worn trope, but on the other, they handle it really well. It feels like a direct response to all of the pop culture excuse plots like Bravely Default where misunderstanding and lack of communication is the source of unnecessary conflict. I would be surprised if you see an "Emet-Selch did nothing wrong!" fandom pop up like with Garrosh, Thanos, Sylvanas, etc, because his motivations and viewpoint are already understood, accepted and valid within the text.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It is worth noting that WHM has now basically shed all traces of being a conjurer.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TulliusCicero posted:

Stormblood had some really good spots (the Steppe, the Four Lords, the Ruby Sea, Fordola and Yotsuyu, Zenos) and then some very just "why is this here stuff?" (Ala Mhigo besides a certain character, 2 of the main party characters, one of which is the oblivious Goku and the other is a boring wet blanket)

It's wierd, but Stormblood's story is way better when it focuses on the antagonists and not the heros

I cannot take Yotsuyu seriously. Every time they show up I can't help but see her and Grynewaht as "What if Team Rocket but they are way into crushing the will of a subjugated people and smoking opium instead of stealing pokemon". Every fight I've had with Grynewaht thus far may as well have ended with him rocketing off into the sky.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

It is worth noting that WHM has now basically shed all traces of being a conjurer.

How did the conjurer’s powers work outside the forest anyways?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Unhappy Meal posted:

One of the problems is the second set of adds -do- have to be tanked, and without prior experience with that fight it's very easy for the tanks to just not notice, and get the DPS and healers killed.

Yeah. That was definitely an issue we ran into. Healers got hosed because we weren’t aware about tanking the large adds.

What we eventually settled on was having the two tanks (myself and the other tank) pick up the east and west add (Peaseblossom and Dipshitface) and then the DPS burned down the north add (Puck) before getting the other two.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the theory is that there's elementals everywhere, and that Gridania's simply their point of power/kingdom, as it were. In practice, it doesn't really make much sense, and mostly just serves to point out how jarring the whole CNJ -> WHM aesthetic transition is. It's something that doesn't really appear anywhere else in the series, which is why they've been gradually shaving away that identity over subsequent expansions.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Eccles posted:

That is like 6 hours of Youtube walkthroughs to review.

you really don't

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't suppose there's any way to make the character window in HoH smaller? I want to leave it open so I can use pomanders/magicite, but it's huge and no matter where I put it it's gonna cover something I'd rather be able to see.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

They draw from nature generally, not just the forest.

The idea that the elementals control their magic is probably just a protection racket.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

MechaX posted:

I’m at 76 with Bard and it still feels pretty great to me.

Honestly not sure what in the world some of the “this class is deeeaddd and ruined!!” folk on the subreddit were on about unless they just really, really missed that sweet sweet 2% crit bonus, traubador effects that you’re never going to alter your entire rotation for, and 10 second Foes; it’s not like this class was ever been a support class in priority of being a DPS

I wish we did keep Palisade, but eh, it’s fine

There's lots of doom and gloom on reddit, for nearly every job so far, lol. I think black mages stick out as an exception since they didn't really lose much and they gained a lot of nice polish / QoL from the new stuff.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. That was definitely an issue we ran into. Healers got hosed because we weren’t aware about tanking the large adds.

What we eventually settled on was having the two tanks (myself and the other tank) pick up the east and west add (Peaseblossom and Dipshitface) and then the DPS burned down the north add (Puck) before getting the other two.
This seems to be best. We wiped twice trying to take out Mustardseed first, then won by dealing with Peaseblossom first and then Puck. But it was a close thing and I think Puck is most of the DPS there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Big Bad Worf posted:

There's lots of doom and gloom on reddit, for nearly every job so far, lol. I think black mages stick out as an exception since they didn't really lose much and they gained a lot of nice polish / QoL from the new stuff.
Don't read Reddit

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

redditors get disappointed when games move further away from their adolescence

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

The Big Bad Worf posted:

5.0 BLM is great, but I still have one complaint about it.

Hey YoshiP you play BLM, why the gently caress do we have a 100% useless role action? Please give casters an ability that just gives mana and isn't a refresh so I can cast flare 5x in a row.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Vermain posted:

I think the theory is that there's elementals everywhere, and that Gridania's simply their point of power/kingdom, as it were. In practice, it doesn't really make much sense, and mostly just serves to point out how jarring the whole CNJ -> WHM aesthetic transition is. It's something that doesn't really appear anywhere else in the series, which is why they've been gradually shaving away that identity over subsequent expansions.

Yeah, CNJ was always kind of an odd duck, and I think that was almost entirely due to how the class came together in 1.0 before the job souls were in. I think the intent back then was for it to be more of a primal/shamanistic sort of magic rather than a priestly/holy one, which doesn't jive as well in the transition to WHM. It almost seems like you could of cut CNJ similarly to Arcanist. Split CNJ into WHM for the healing/holy side and then split a DPS class off of it and get Geomancer that focuses in on the Wind/Earth elemental aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Superbollide gives me so many freaking heart attacks.