Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

You can't go wrong with the best glamour: The Manderville suit dyed metallic gold.

Show everyone how high class you are.
Best Man's suit dyed metallic yellow works amazing for a SAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My worst fears have come to pass, the Namazu exist on The First

(sidequest semi-spoiler, no MSQ spoilers and I blurred out a separate spoiler of sorts)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Superbollide gives me so many freaking heart attacks.

Why did they give it a worse version of Hallowed Ground? There's no justification for it like this. At the very least give it some kind of additional buff to justify the health drop and shorter duration.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is Dancer as fun as it first seems? I'm already planning what my second job to 80 will be and Dancer seems like a strong candidate.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Why did they give it a worse version of Hallowed Ground? There's no justification for it like this. At the very least give it some kind of additional buff to justify the health drop and shorter duration.

As I understand it, they feel hallowed ground is too strong and would like to nerf it, but can't because everyone would throw a fit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Givin posted:

Ok, this may be obvious but I'm going to ask it anyway. Spoilering it just in case. A story tick about the level 77 range after the dungeon in the convo back at the tower.

When Emet is talking about the Ascians and the shards do, the 14 shards + source represent each FF game up to present? What strikes out at me is when it's mentioned that the 13th shard was killed off so that makes what happens in FF13 directly responsible because of the Ascians involvment in trying to merge them back? And is this why we're getting cross overs from the different games. I just assumed it was a rando thing.

No.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Maintenance from 9 PM tonight till noon tomorrow (PST).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

UGH

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

It's 12 a.m. PST, not noon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's 12 AM, AKA midnight. It's only 3 hours.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

BOO

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Maguoob posted:

5.0 BLM is great, but I still have one complaint about it.

Hey YoshiP you play BLM, why the gently caress do we have a 100% useless role action? Please give casters an ability that just gives mana and isn't a refresh so I can cast flare 5x in a row.

Lucid Dreaming should just give you a heal over time as well as a refresh over time so that BLM can have some kind of solo sustain that isn't a chocobo.

That said, you can tell that whoever was in charge of reworking BLM does play it a lot and know it well, since there's a lot of incredibly subtle but incredibly good quality of life improvements having to do with mana ticks specifically that probably wouldn't have occurred to anyone who wasn't intimately familiar with the pain of missing a Fire IV cast because they made the mistake of casting Thunder 3 right before Blizzard 3 or whatever.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Lucid Dreaming should just give you a heal over time as well as a refresh over time so that BLM can have some kind of solo sustain that isn't a chocobo.

BLMs already have everything else, would you like a pony too?

Wait... WHMs got one! WHERE IS THE CASTER PONY

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

hobbesmaster posted:

Scathe should upgrade into Drain!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hobbesmaster posted:

my one unironic 'UGH MONEYGRUBBING SQUARE' is that we have to buy our carby mount and aren't given them for unlocking SMN like the WHM unicorn.

give me my large son, square!!!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

hobbesmaster posted:

Unicorn is boring.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Buff BLM by making Enochian a raid wide damage buff as long as the BLM keeps Enochian up

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Fister Roboto posted:

That's 12 AM, AKA midnight. It's only 3 hours.

Oh, sweet. I guess that seemed way too short and my brain immediately corrected it to last until noon tomorrow.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

Buff BLM by making Enochian a raid wide damage buff as long as the BLM keeps Enochian up

Let other party members benefit from standing in my aoe magnet ley lines

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

Other way around, let BLM steal damage from everyone else, reducing the party's but increasing their own correspondingly.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

a kitten posted:

Let other party members benefit from standing in my aoe magnet ley lines

Picture from Level 75 area:

Food 5 gil
Water 10 gil
Rent free
Candles 500,000 gil
Clothes 20 gil

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

spend less on light

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Is there any use for Lucid dreaming for BLM at all? Perhaps out of combat if you don't have either AF or UI and you find yourself at low MP? How does it compare to normal MP regen?

I considered it could maybe help in Umbral Ice Phase, but considering the changes to BLM MP ticks that Ferrinus alluded to a few posts above, I don't think it's of any use there.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CuddlyZombie posted:

Is there any use for Lucid dreaming for BLM at all? Perhaps out of combat if you don't have either AF or UI and you find yourself at low MP? How does it compare to normal MP regen?

I considered it could maybe help in Umbral Ice Phase, but considering the changes to BLM MP ticks that Ferrinus alluded to a few posts above, I don't think it's of any use there.

It has zero effect in astral fire and negligible effect in umbral ice. It's pretty much only for if you gently caress up and have zero MP and no way to get into umbral ice (and you have to REALLY gently caress up to get into such a situation).

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

spend less on light

no

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Fister Roboto posted:

It has zero effect in astral fire and negligible effect in umbral ice. It's pretty much only for if you gently caress up and have zero MP and no way to get into umbral ice (and you have to REALLY gently caress up to get into such a situation).

Yeah, I figured as much. It seems its only use is as a recovery where you let enochian fall off while at low enough MP that you can't even quickly cast blizzard 1, so it could get you there faster?? But you do have passive regeneration when not in either AF or UI, so I don't know how much time that would save you, if any, with the way ticks work. Once you get enough for B1 you're back in the game, albeit at a huge deficit. Perhaps it accelerates your MP regen fast enough that instead of casting blizzard 1 you can go straight to blizzard 3?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Thumbtacks posted:

how exactly can cards be MORE complex now and require more decision making? you just slap the melee cards on melee and ranged on ranged and minor arcana until you get that big CD thingy

You didn't really have any decisions to make originally. It was either RR spire/ewer, and play a balance/spear/arrow, or do something wrong. Maybe an extended balance or a bole in 4 mans, but 99% of the time that was it. Just mash that on cooldown. Maybe the stars align and you get your AoE Bole right before a potential raid wipe AoE, but you probably just have a spire waiting for you.

I'm spending more time now matching or holding the proper cards for people close to or using their own CDs, buffing people before they re-DoT, debating burning redraws or early Minor Arcanas if I get an unfavourable seal or even prioritizing things when a Sleeve Draw comes up. When a trick window opens, and I have Sleeve Draw for 4 cards on deck, do I balance the priority melee first, or do I expect a duplicate seal coming that I can RR into a better card for him? Is it even worth carding second place during trick, or should I save it for the BLM after his first card expires? And so on.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really like how every zone ends with you having a little chat with your ghost buddy in your room.

Though I think I need to put together a pajama glam just for those scenes, it really bugs me when it shows my characters getting out of bed in full armor for some reason. I also never use the covers!

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Up to level 75 on BLM and I have made the right decision - the class has definitely been built upon in the right direction in every way from what it was in SB. I can see Lucid Dreaming being useful for the odd occasion where you do fall out of Astral at 0MP but it feels pretty much like a pointless button otherwise.

I was worried about threat given there's no more Diversion either, but so far the only problem I've had is on the first trial add phase where I ripped threat on our second target because I was going full pelt. Luckily I was able to switch to the 3rd add until the tank established threat properly because let's face it, I wasn't going to stop casting. Otherwise I haven't really missed Diversion or the threat reduction on Lucid at all.

Absolutely loved the first two dungeons and the first trial was amazing - the group I had also had trouble on the DPS check but we ended up LB3'ing the giant add phase which took us through to victory. Great encounter all around. I was upset that I couldn't use Aetherial Manipulation on the boss in the second dungeon to let someone do the hard work of moving for me, mostly because I made this discovery the hard way.

Music and art direction are incredible this expansion as well, I particularly like the Ahm Areng BGM and final boss music for dungeons. Also impressed that Ahm Areng is a desert zone that looks incredible and Il Mheg is gorgeous. I just finished up in Il Mheg and it looks like I'm going to the woods next.

Did a few roulettes as WHM at 70 as well and I think I may need Piety now but otherwise the class feels pretty good and I'm excited about bringing that up after I'm done blowing things up in the MSQ as BLM.

I haven't felt this happy playing a game for a while now. It's a nice feeling. The story so far is awesome and there are a lot of great moments.

Good game got better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

iTrust posted:

I was worried about threat given there's no more Diversion either
Same and the LD changes but either they changed how aggro works, how tanks generate it, or just the fact that everyone has more AOE now stops BLM from stealing it all. I haven't run into a single issue.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tanks generate metric fuckloads of emnity in tank stance. Like, I've walked into 50% in progress single enemy FATEs and acquired aggro within 3 GCDs. I'm pretty sure I only need to do a couple AoE rotations and I'd have a trash pack glued to me even if I just resorted to auto attacks after

berenzen fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 2, 2019

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, as long as the tank has a pulse threat is generally a non issue. I haven't managed to pull threat even with the absurd up front damage a RDM can dump at the start of a pull, so BLM will probably be fine too.

Of course there's no guarantee of the tank having a pulse, but there will be a lot of other obvious issues too in that case.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Asimo posted:

Yeah, as long as the tank has a pulse threat is generally a non issue. I haven't managed to pull threat even with the absurd up front damage a RDM can dump at the start of a pull, so BLM will probably be fine too.

Of course there's no guarantee of the tank having a pulse, but there will be a lot of other obvious issues too in that case.

I've tried to pull threat on trash packs, but even with sharpcast/swiftcast T4 -> T4 proc -> Flare -> Triple Cast -> Flare -> Flare -> Foul -> Foul, I couldn't do it.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i got killed in the first ShB dungeon's last boss cause i was stressing too much about my buttons. oh god are all my DoTs on cooldown. oh god have i done my no mercy-d renzokuken combo. oh god are all my off-GCD buttons also on cooldown-- wait what is it doing with its fist. oh i'm dead oops

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Merilan posted:

i got killed in the first ShB dungeon's last boss cause i was stressing too much about my buttons. oh god are all my DoTs on cooldown. oh god have i done my no mercy-d renzokuken combo. oh god are all my off-GCD buttons also on cooldown-- wait what is it doing with its fist. oh i'm dead oops

This was me as a Dancer and the second boss of the second dungeon. " Oh god, standard step is almost up but I have Flourish ready and should I technical step first and- wait, what are those tethers?"

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
So I'm doing the post-Stormblood content on my way into Shadowbringers and uh. I am not particularly happy with how Yotsuyu is handled at all. I'm a sucker for redemption and yeah, I can't put it into words but I don't like it at all. Does anything similar happen with Fordola? I just want to prepare myself before my face is permanently frozen in a :| expression.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mister No posted:

So I'm doing the post-Stormblood content on my way into Shadowbringers and uh. I am not particularly happy with how Yotsuyu is handled at all. I'm a sucker for redemption and yeah, I can't put it into words but I don't like it at all. Does anything similar happen with Fordola? I just want to prepare myself before my face is permanently frozen in a :| expression.

Unfortunately she kind of vanishes out of the game after about 4.1. She shows up in some out-of-game text stories, of all things.

The post-MSQ dungeon that unlocks in Crystarium rules rules rules. Not only does it have an even radder version of eScape, it also explains how Crystal Tower can do timey wimey stuff and I marked out as soon as Locus started playing and Ironworks Alexander appeared.. I guess that also means that FutureCid or FutureBiggs is a better engineer than the ancient Ascians since even Emet-Selch couldn't figure out how to do time travel??

The other post MSQ dungeon is real good, but not quite *that* good.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mister No posted:

No the second character is handled with more nuance and doesn't just turn into another boss fight.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Mister No posted:

i'm definitely there with you on not really feeling how they resolved that arc. felt like there was a whole lot of baiting and buildup for... not a lot in the end. it's like they went 'but we made this really cool boss fight! we need to get there somehow!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yotsuyu's story is one of the many reasons that Stormblood was such a mess.