Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I've been really happy with everything I've gotten from Thermoworks- two ThermaPens, a ChefAlarm and a Smoke. The Smoke is a great dual channel with wireless and you can get a wifi bridge as well for full internet connectivity. Thermoworks isn't cheap, but they have regular sales and I've been really happy with the quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dango Bango posted:

What's everyone's go-to probe thermometer? I'm looking to upgrade to one with a wireless transmitter or bluetooth because I don't want to have to keep going out and checking temps.

Thermoworks Smoke is supposed to be great if you don’t need multiple food channels. If you do need multiple food channels, Thermoworks Signals.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

toplitzin posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/cheddar-bacon-scallion-cornbread-recipe.html

I didn't have any sour cream, so I subbed in cream cheese I had floating around.

This has just been added to my 4th of July menu. Along with brisket and bacon crab jalapeño poppers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the best way to cool off an egg/kamodo for low (225F) smoking after using it for grilling? I need to grill some veggies for a salad and then put ribs on, and ideally I don’t wait 90 minutes between. smother and then leave it open? put a big bucket of ice inside and smother it closed? hose down the outside?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

What's everyone's go-to probe thermometer? I'm looking to upgrade to one with a wireless transmitter or bluetooth because I don't want to have to keep going out and checking temps.

Fireboard

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the best way to cool off an egg/kamodo for low (225F) smoking after using it for grilling? I need to grill some veggies for a salad and then put ribs on, and ideally I don’t wait 90 minutes between. smother and then leave it open? put a big bucket of ice inside and smother it closed? hose down the outside?

So putting something cold or wet on a komodo sounds like a great way to have a shattered komodo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I figured a bucket of ice inside would be indirect enough, but if I try the hose I will definitely get it on video. I think I’ll do the grilling with the lid open to keep that half from heating up too much and then wait until 300 on the descent to put the ribs on. I’ll keep them in the fridge to help a bit too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Your "don't get the top hot" idea is a good one, but people I know who use kamados for competition and then wants to get their hot egg cool so they can leave uses an ash basket like this one https://www.kickashbasket.com/X-Large-Kick-Ash-Basket_p_12.html

Basically use that to take your fuel / firebox out of the vessel, scoop out your ash, then close it up and if you've got a fan for your temp controller just keep it on your firebox intake to blow ambient air through the thing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I got about 500 posts behind on this thread, but I smoked a bunch of poo poo today so here I am. Did two batches of Pepper Stout Beef, which is easily my favorite thing I've ever cooked.

While that was cooking a threw a hot dog and one of those Costco polish sausages in for lunch. They picked up smoke surprisingly well and I enjoyed the added taste.

After I pulled the beef out, I threw in some chicken thighs with some pork rub on them. I moved them to the grill at 150f and finished them with sauce. The skin didn't really crisp, but they were still great. Chicken thighs are one of my favorite things to smoke and/or grill. Cheap as hell, hard to overcook, and very flavorful.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I got about 500 posts behind on this thread, but I smoked a bunch of poo poo today so here I am. Did two batches of Pepper Stout Beef, which is easily my favorite thing I've ever cooked.

While that was cooking a threw a hot dog and one of those Costco polish sausages in for lunch. They picked up smoke surprisingly well and I enjoyed the added taste.

After I pulled the beef out, I threw in some chicken thighs with some pork rub on them. I moved them to the grill at 150f and finished them with sauce. The skin didn't really crisp, but they were still great. Chicken thighs are one of my favorite things to smoke and/or grill. Cheap as hell, hard to overcook, and very flavorful.

I agree with everything in this post. Pepper Stout Beef and chicken thighs are both amazing and wonderful.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Smoked meatloaf is on the menu tonight! For cheese cornbread, any idea how much to add? My inclination is a healthy handful of grated cheese. More or less?

Not to be confused with smoking Meat Loaf:

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 1, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Canuckistan posted:

Smoked meatloaf is on the menu tonight! For cheese cornbread, any idea how much to add? My inclination is a healthy handful of grated cheese. More or less?

Sounds good to me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I figured a bucket of ice inside would be indirect enough, but if I try the hose I will definitely get it on video. I think I’ll do the grilling with the lid open to keep that half from heating up too much and then wait until 300 on the descent to put the ribs on. I’ll keep them in the fridge to help a bit too.

I'm living vicariously through you here since I'm dealing with a similar situation of managing refractory heat. I only have some unproven ideas.

But yeah... definitely put that ice in some kind of container instead of just unloading a bag into the thing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Been awhile since I've done a chuckie. Third cook on my new smoker which I'm trying to get a handle on the temps.

Seems to have hit a hard stall at around 151, cook is 300 (yeah, like I said trying to get temps under control).

Somewhat bizarre how where it is sitting for so long at that grill temp.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My brisket is rubbed. At 10 PM tomorrow it will go on the smoker.

Are there any ways in particular to increase the presence of a smoke ring, besides forgoing the water pan?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Brisket smoked for 2.5hrs. Hoping to introduce more smoke flavor and ring before I start the puddle and then back on to the 'smoker'. God I just need to pony up for something real.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I. M. Gei posted:

Are there any ways in particular to increase the presence of a smoke ring, besides forgoing the water pan?

Small amount of sodium nitrite in the rub will give you a ring. How does the water pan reduce the “smoke” ring? Does the water vapor displace the carbon monoxide or something?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I. M. Gei posted:

Different wood types seem to produce different smoke rings. It seems like Apple and Cherry get a brighter red smoke ring than the richer woods.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
going to attempt a tri tip tomorrow after looking them over in this thread. Anything I should be aware of for a first time? Im already looking to rest a full 30, is it worth it to wrap and cooler? or just best to have it sit out?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

Small amount of sodium nitrite in the rub will give you a ring.

I don’t have any of that right now, but I’ll be sure to grab some.

Subjunctive posted:

How does the water pan reduce the “smoke” ring? Does the water vapor displace the carbon monoxide or something?

Maybe it doesn’t? I just assumed it was something to do with the moisture.

Infinite Karma posted:

Different wood types seem to produce different smoke rings. It seems like Apple and Cherry get a brighter red smoke ring than the richer woods.

In that case I’ll mix a bit of apple in with the hickory I plan to use. The recipe I’m using lists apple as a wood option anyway. Thanks for the tip!

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Speaking of brisket, my options are limited between a full packer or 3-5lb slices of flat. Is a tiny piece of flat going to cook without becoming leather?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t have any of that right now, but I’ll be sure to grab some.

Maybe it doesn’t? I just assumed it was something to do with the moisture.

I'd be very careful loving around with sodium nitrates. It's toxic when too much is ingested. Do your homework on how much is too much.

Good article on smoke rings:

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/mythbusting-smoke-ring-no-smoke-necessary

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My smoker has died.

Long live my smoker.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
What did you have?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Spiggy posted:

Speaking of brisket, my options are limited between a full packer or 3-5lb slices of flat. Is a tiny piece of flat going to cook without becoming leather?

I smoked a couple of 3-4 lb corned beef flats before with no problem.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Twlight posted:

going to attempt a tri tip tomorrow after looking them over in this thread. Anything I should be aware of for a first time? Im already looking to rest a full 30, is it worth it to wrap and cooler? or just best to have it sit out?

I find tri tip is best when smoked to an internal temp of like 120f and then finish quickly on the grill to get a nice crust on the medium/medium rare interior. Don't take it all the way to 200 like you would a brisket. Rest and slice against the grain.

Ends up like a steak with a lovely smoke flavour and only takes an hour.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Twlight posted:

Never smoked one but grill/puddle them a ton and if it's your first time cooking one in general: look at the grain of the meat before you cook it and note where it changes direction for when it comes time to slice it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

toplitzin posted:

My smoker has died.

Long live my smoker.

Did it go up in smoke? :dadjoke:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I've done a tri tip before, turned out well.

Did 225 for like an hour or something, pulled at 127 internal. Grilled on super high heat for a tiny bit on each side then rested for 10 mins wrapped in foil.

Would do again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The best part of the brisket is the point. I just haven't been happy with my flats.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
^ I'm not going to say you're wrong. Call me a fat rear end or what ever but give me that juicy fatty point. Also I've really taken a liking to making burnt ends with the point and some delicious caramelized bbq sauce.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It was a MES 30" I got in 2017 for a song after some shopping damage. I think the coil is fried. Could be fixable. Or it sounds like time to get the 40"

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Whenever my MES30 dies, I'm already planning one of those Pit Boss pellet smokers from Lowe's.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Brisket is on the smoker. Gonna pull it at 200°-205° hopefully between noon and 2 PM tomorrow. Since it’s on a Big Green Egg and the temp is being controlled by a wifi-enabled blower, I might go do a bit of fishing between now and pull time. :getin:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Thanks sterster for the link to the thread!

I'm smoking a brisket tomorrow, first time doing so, I've usually only done pork butts and sausages before.

Brisket, 5.7lbs, is trimmed, rubbed and ready for smoking tomorrow morning.

Used a shitton of garlic powder, mustard powder, white pepper, paprika, and dark brown sugar, with a smaller amount of kosher salt and cayenne pepper.

I got some solid chunks of hickory and mesquite, figured I'd do a little of both. My smoker (a Masterbuilt Pro Charcoal/Propane combo) isn't too bad, and I have a couple of probe thermometers. Around what temp and time range am I gonna be looking at?

E: I should add that the local butcher I usually go to for these projects was out of brisket until Friday, so I had to go to Wegmans. They have fantastic meats for a chain grocery, but this was still the biggest brisket they had. I'm tempted to go tomorrow and get a 2nd one, since they are so small I could do that, apply a wet rub to the 2nd one, and get both in the smoker by 10am and they'd be ready by dinnertime around 5pm.

Also looking for suggestions of a sauce to buy/make.

Annath fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 4, 2019

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Annath posted:

Thanks sterster for the link to the thread!

I'm smoking a brisket tomorrow, first time doing so, I've usually only done pork butts and sausages before.

Brisket, 5.7lbs, is trimmed, rubbed and ready for smoking tomorrow morning.

Used a shitton of garlic powder, mustard powder, white pepper, paprika, and dark brown sugar, with a smaller amount of kosher salt and cayenne pepper.

I got some solid chunks of hickory and mesquite, figured I'd do a little of both. My smoker (a Masterbuilt Pro Charcoal/Propane combo) isn't too bad, and I have a couple of probe thermometers. Around what temp and time range am I gonna be looking at?

E: I should add that the local butcher I usually go to for these projects was out of brisket until Friday, so I had to go to Wegmans. They have fantastic meats for a chain grocery, but this was still the biggest brisket they had. I'm tempted to go tomorrow and get a 2nd one, since they are so small I could do that, apply a wet rub to the 2nd one, and get both in the smoker by 10am and they'd be ready by dinnertime around 5pm.

Also looking for suggestions of a sauce to buy/make.

I haven't smoked brisket myself, but 7 hours seems like you're seriously underestimating how long they take. Most people are looking at like 2 hours a pound. Look at the post above you, he's putting one on at like 9:30pm and he's hoping it's done around 2pm. There have been a bunch of stories of people starting at 10am and it not being done by 10pm when they were expecting to have it for dinner.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

DiggityDoink posted:

I haven't smoked brisket myself, but 7 hours seems like you're seriously underestimating how long they take. Most people are looking at like 2 hours a pound. Look at the post above you, he's putting one on at like 9:30pm and he's hoping it's done around 2pm. There have been a bunch of stories of people starting at 10am and it not being done by 10pm when they were expecting to have it for dinner.

Huh, most of what I was reading was estimating 1.25 hours per lb as a starting point, and this is a fairly small brisket, less than 6lbs. Even if I bought a 2nd one, they're 2 smaller pieces of meat, so I'd have thought they wouldn't take as long as 1 big chunk.

A lot of the crazy long times I was seeing referenced on Google were for like 10-16lb briskets.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah, this. Even an optimistic time for a 5.7-lb brisket is still gonna be like 8-10 hours. You probably don’t need to put your’s on the literal day before like I’m doing (mine is about 10 lbs), but you should really plan to start in the very early morning, like 3 or 4 AM to be safe.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah, this. Even an optimistic time for a 5.7-lb brisket is still gonna be like 8-10 hours. You probably don’t need to put your’s on the literal day before like I’m doing (mine is about 10 lbs), but you should really plan to start in the very early morning, like 3 or 4 AM to be safe.

Welp, I guess that answers my question of whether or not to get a 2nd brisket; Wegmans is closed, even if I felt like going back out... Oh well. I knew I should have gotten a 2nd one while I was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The number one rule of brisket (and pork butts) is that it ALWAYS takes longer than you plan for, except in the rare instances where it takes way way way way way shorter than you plan for.