Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I don't want them to change the card backs because I just know given the opportunity they are gonna put the dumbass hair pick logo they are unjustifiably enamoured with front and center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like the card back to stay the same if not only because I'd like them to keep some connection with the old style of cards. The old frames may have been a little more difficult to read but they were so much more flavorful.

That said, I never really understood the "Deckmaster" bit because it's never really mentioned in any of the product information.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Richard Garfield's original idea was that there would be a whole family of Deckmaster games but that ended falling through when none of them except Magic got anywhere.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Elyv posted:

Richard Garfield's original idea was that there would be a whole family of Deckmaster games but that ended falling through when none of them except Magic got anywhere.

Wasn't Netrunner a Deckmaster game, at least for a time?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also Vampire the Masquerade Jyhad

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

no weird blue squiggly 0/10

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Vampire/Jyhad was a ton of fun from what I remember of the handful of times we got four or more people together to play it and basically unplayable with fewer people than that.

Apparently Jyhad is a game people have built cubes around which actually sounds very fun.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

Minor nitpick but pretty sure this was more of a WotC thing than Garfield.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Owlbear Camus posted:

the dumbass hair pick logo they are unjustifiably enamoured with front and center.
I cannot properly describe how upsettingly objectively terrible that logo is.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

i did not sleeve at the one draft i've ever been to

of course i hadn't played in a decade or more before that so ymmv

It's you! You are the core audience!

Cactrot posted:

Vampire/Jyhad was a ton of fun from what I remember of the handful of times we got four or more people together to play it and basically unplayable with fewer people than that.

Apparently Jyhad is a game people have built cubes around which actually sounds very fun.

Jyhad/VtES is the only CCG I have ever played that gets better the more players you have and also has a quality of play that fluctuates wildly depending on how many ~*quirky*~ people you have at your table

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sickening posted:

I do t draft every often, but I have never seen anyone at draft not sleeve to their deck in at least the cheap sleeves.

Why would I sleeve a draft? I'm going to throw them in a box 20 minutes after I'm done and never look at them again.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I never sleeve drafts anymore unless it's a masters set and I pulled some $40+ card that I'd rather not be scuffed up or if it's part of some comp REL limited tournament. Sleeving a pile of cards that I'm just going to leave on the table when I'm done is annoying.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Something about the texture of Magic cards makes me have an awkward time shuffling that sleeves seem to eliminate. I can deal with regular playing cards fine, but they're designed to be shuffled a zillion times and are textured to feel smooth and be thrown around.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Star Man posted:

Something about the texture of Magic cards makes me have an awkward time shuffling that sleeves seem to eliminate. I can deal with regular playing cards fine, but they're designed to be shuffled a zillion times and are textured to feel smooth and be thrown around.

Yeah on the rare occasion I play without sleeves it feels weird as hell. That is why I sleeve at drafts even if most of the cards arent worth poo poo

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah I can't deal with no sleeves. I have some LR sleeves I use for limited decks with a bunch of pre sleeved lands ready to go. Because I'm a goober.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm enough of a lunatic to come to FNM drafts prepared with sleeves for my draft, and also with tokens for the draft.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Cactrot posted:

That's by design. 4-5 is where it really shines, and it's almost unplayable as a 1v1 game. It can handle more people but it's more an issue of time/people's attention at that point.

It's still a great multiplayer game and recently they've actually started printing cards again from what I understand.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Star Man posted:

I'm enough of a lunatic to come to FNM drafts prepared with sleeves for my draft, and also with tokens for the draft.

Nah friendo

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I double sleeve my drafts because my draft lands are double sleeved guru lands.

They're actually the commander lands they had all the old artists do a few years ago, but they are double sleeved because I pulled them out of my cube and couldn't be bothered to remove the perfect fits.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

I double sleeve my drafts because my draft lands are double sleeved guru lands.

showing up to fnm draft with fifteen grand in draft lands is a definite power move

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hauki posted:

showing up to fnm draft with fifteen grand in draft lands is a definite power move

If I owned 15 grand in lands, I would do exactly one draft with them, then immediately no longer own 15 grand in lands or have a car payment.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Hauki posted:

There’s a guy that has beta lands at limited events in my city.

Why don’t people just use penny sleeves for limited? You can just slide your rares into the binder afterwards. Pull the other 40 cards out and put the sleeves back into the little bag they came in and use them next time.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

The American Dream posted:

Why don’t people just use penny sleeves for limited? You can just slide your rares into the binder afterwards. Pull the other 40 cards out and put the sleeves back into the little bag they came in and use them next time.

I do something like this.
Unlike I only pull garbage, then I play sleeveless.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The American Dream posted:

penny sleeves are very good for binders and godawful for actually playing with.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A big flaming stink posted:

penny sleeves are very good for binders and godawful for actually playing with.

Yeah they just slip and slide all over the place. There was a guy who used to play modern alot with penny sleeves, and even cutting the deck was annoying. He eventually switched to real ones.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Newly-opened high-quality sleeves also tend to slip and slide for the first few games.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Tubgoat posted:

Newly-opened high-quality sleeves also tend to slip and slide for the first few games.

Yeah, newly opened Katana sleeves are THE WORST, but after being used for a bit, they're great.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Buffis posted:

Yeah, newly opened Katana sleeves are THE WORST, but after being used for a bit, they're great.

I have yet to use them, I was remembering my OG Dragonshields from back in the day.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tubgoat posted:

Hareruya don't, but they also collect grime like a sponge.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

GoutPatrol posted:

Hareruya don't, but they also collect grime like a sponge.

Same with Eclipse sleeves

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I put together a set of 10x Unstable basics, sleeved in Dragon Shields, so my drafts get sleeved in that. But aside from keeping a full set of a set's tokens, that's about all the fancying up I would do as a paper limited player.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I used to bring pre-sleeved lands until I realized those sleeves were getting worn differently than my other cards. Now I bring my own lands, but just sleeve the ones I need. It takes an extra five seconds.

I'm suspicious of anyone who brings all foil lands to drafts. It's so easy to tell if a land's coming up.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
When I draft I have a set of lands pre-sleeved in a pack with empty sleeves. Then when I draft all I need to do is sleeve up my drafted cards in identical sleeves. I also keep various tokens in the kit.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I bought the BFZ fatpack so I just used the full arts from that in my draft kit.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

I have 15 of each basic pre-sleeved too, get on my level.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My draft deck box is 45 cheap Ultra Pro Sleeves and 10 of each basic land :shrug: Maybe I should pre-sleeve a few of those basics...

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I wonder if we're going to see Mono R switch to R/g now that Cindervines is the only good answer to Graffdigger's Cage.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I wonder if we're going to see Mono R switch to R/g now that Cindervines is the only good answer to Graffdigger's Cage.

Goblin Cratermaker is pretty good.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Buffis posted:

Goblin Cratermaker is pretty good.

Oh good point. The weird wording meant he was missing from my search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Alright, it's new-brew Tuesday. What if affinity was also white weenie??

4 Memnite
4 Ornithopter
4 Court Homunculus
3 Icehide Golem
4 Signal Pest
2 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Ethersworn Canonist
4 Arcbound Ravager

4 Force of Virtue
4 Mox Opal
4 On Thin Ice