Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've felt like I tend to lean overly complex by default, so I made a simple, straightforward, hopefully easy run-and-jump level: Dry Dry Athletic, FHK-T22-1QG.

This was neat, but does the auto scroll add anything?
Felt like one of those levels where you could keep on smoothly running but then you have to wait for the screen to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
After rebuilding the castle, I finally started tinkering with the maker part. My first course in MM1 was a castle with a forced SMB3 Bowser fight (this was pre-keys), so I built a castle level containing fights with Bowser Jr., Big Boom Boom, and Bowser.

Father Son Fortress
CS4-QYT-VLG

There are some tricky jumps along the way, but I put in a decent number of powerups. There's one Thwomp that can drop before the screen scrolls up to it, but I used the background objects to hint it's there, and if you're just running past it's not close enough to trigger.

I feel like it still needs a bit of tweaking, but it seems to work. I tried to stick to mostly real SMB3 objects, but I did throw in a few winged or giant enemies.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

You guys weren't kidding. The online is pretty much unplayable for me. :/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Intl Cron posted:

As promised, here's some feedback on levels I've been churning through from the super-awesome [url="https:////https://randomactsofmario.com/"]Random Acts of Mario[/url] randomizer utility.

If anyone hasn't checked out that link/the spreadsheet of Goon levels, I highly highly recommend it as a way to experience actually sane Mario Maker levels. It's been a lot of fun, and it's also given me a ton of ideas for my own courses!

Let it be known that good feedback gives me life, even if it's critical. I'm really happy about it!!

E: I'm really pouring myself into a stage I'm making so I really, really hope it comes out just like I'd hope. I kept making medium length stages to keep it simple but this is a big one and I'm determined to make it a stand out.

E2:

Good Sphere posted:

How do you draw the non-solid decorative background tiles in the SMB1 style?

I noticed Nintendo of Japan’s Mario Maker account has comments turned off, so maybe there is a way?

Pick a Semi-Solid platform and just hide the tops of them, that's how most people do decorations/backgrounds for stages. Can tile them etc

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 1, 2019

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pick a Semi-Solid platform and just hide the tops of them, that's how most people do decorations/backgrounds for stages. Can tile them etc

Aw, sweet, thank you! I also see that you can push and hold on the semi-solid platforms to get other styles.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just keep in mind it's a pain in the god damned rear end to build stuff on top of semi solid platforms so add the backgrounds last if you can help it, and also if you try to copy multiples of anything on top of one it will delete the platform.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The background layer of semi-solids is worthless and should gently caress off to a separate layer.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Phantasium posted:

Just keep in mind it's a pain in the god damned rear end to build stuff on top of semi solid platforms so add the backgrounds last if you can help it, and also if you try to copy multiples of anything on top of one it will delete the platform.

I just noticed that. Doesn’t help that I have it in the background of a large cave! I wish I could lock it.

SelenicMartian posted:

The background layer of semi-solids is worthless and should gently caress off to a separate layer.

This.

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world
I end up spending a lot of time dressing up the levels. Maybe it just ends in a mess.
Here's a couple, I don't think they're particularly hard either.

M6R-M4K-1MF
I Want to Be an Air Pirate

I was always a fan of the airship levels, especially ones with multiple airships.

CG9-YJJ-L8G
Water Filtration Plant

The semisolid platforms in this style look like they're from a megaman game.

Also one level with a clear condition, pretty short too.

ML3-XH1-YKG
No Wizards Allowed

You shouldn't be able to gently caress yourself over.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I finally made a level I'm proud of so I'm posting this bitch.

YMH-HHY-V7G
Going Down The Big Tree

Not the sort of course that should give anyone much trouble. A simple descent into a tree with some tiny challenges and optional pink coin collecting along the way.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

d3lness posted:

You guys weren't kidding. The online is pretty much unplayable for me. :/

Sometimes it works alright but I just got a match that was 100% molasses. Then some guy left and it was perfect.

Also, so far I'm pleasantly surprised with endless mode. At least on Normal you actually get some decent levels, I'm guessing the downvoting system helps in culling away the absolute worst ones.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Amppelix posted:

I finally made a level I'm proud of so I'm posting this bitch.

YMH-HHY-V7G
Going Down The Big Tree

Not the sort of course that should give anyone much trouble. A simple descent into a tree with some tiny challenges and optional pink coin collecting along the way.

I liked it! The little underwater section I thought was a neat cap to the level.

My one small nitpick: The level starts with you at the water level, then you're dry in the tree, then you're in the water again. I don't really have any issue with part of the tree being underwater, but maybe having the starting pipe a little higher (or even using some cloud blocks to make it seem like you're starting really high up and working your way down) would make more sense?.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Endless mode on easy is fun if you just YOLO every level and go for world records.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Tnega posted:

I've been going down the spreadsheet in order, but fine, I'll chew through your back catalog.
Airship Panic MX8-NYN-R5G
Make sure you are aware of every position the camera can be, I didn't see that I was supposed to jump over a post until the camera went down (first ship after inside part.) Was also able to skip the inside part.
Lakeside Frenzy P52-KDB-YJG
Putting enemies in ? boxes is usually bad move, but level was short enough that I'll allow it!
Golden Ghosts 7NT-TFR-GDF
Possible to softlock yourself if you don't get enough of the fire flower coins, and the thwomp seems to be a forced hit if you don't wait.
Mario Classic MJ2-GG8-LYG
1-3 Level of difficulty, has no problems.
Tiny Trouble 9CB-4RH-X1H
Warioware level is fine. It was an enjoyable 3 seconds.
Jungle Jinks 5YG-FPM-PMF
You do a good job of using coins to guide the player, would have liked to be able to jump to the top of the flagpole. Also the extreme number of scene transitions was jarring.

Thanks for all your feedback, that was way more than I was expecting! I'll definitely take all this into consideration. I'm always trying to improve my levels.

owl_pellet posted:

I just bought this and am excited to pick it up at Target on the way home. Is everyone using a stylus to create levels? The Giant Bomb quick look made it sound like it was pretty mandatory. If so, which one is a good one? I don't know anything about styluses.

I bought a pack of 10 for $5 at Five Below a few months ago because my dad needs them to navigate his smartphone (he's elderly and has arthritis so the phone doesn't pick up his swipes well) and I figured even if he loses one he still has nine more. He was like, sure, go ahead, use one of my styluses, you bought them anyway. So I've been using a fifty cent stylus and it works just fine.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I had a multiplayer vs match today that involved solving a puzzle to get a koopa to knock a fire flower down in order to kill several piranha plants to move to the next part of the puzzle. I was first to the flower and instead damage boosted through. There weren't any other powerups and the koopa moves onto the next part with you so that softlocked the other 3 players. That was also my rank up win to get to B rank.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

My one small nitpick: The level starts with you at the water level, then you're dry in the tree, then you're in the water again. I don't really have any issue with part of the tree being underwater, but maybe having the starting pipe a little higher (or even using some cloud blocks to make it seem like you're starting really high up and working your way down) would make more sense?.
That was hard to fit into the 2-screen height of the overworld. I thought of it something like this: even if the tree is underwater, it doesn't necessarily mean the water's going to get in, right? The bottom part with some actual water would be the roots.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Slings & Things
PFJ-V41-RRF

A short little seesaw and spring puzzle romp. It's a refined take on past efforts involving the seesaws.

Sprinting thru the machine
WGR-LDR-XTG

A 3D-World based sprinting course. A ton of see-thru pipes and fireballs. Admittedly kind of a mess.

Rickety Balancing act
WSQ-MXB-PMF

Only play this one if you hate yourself because a simple mistake will snowball into pure chaos!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Not a goon level, but Barbarous King was experimenting with 3D World today and made a really cool difficult level. Probably the first Kaizo-esque 3D world course that I have been thoroughly impressed by. Give it a shot if you want a challenge:

The Terminator: MSS-PYL-WLG

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Thanks for the feedback from everyone who played my level! I think I'm going to struggle with trying to find the line between too much enemy spam and too boring, as far as moving platforms go, because apparently they're the thing my brain has decided to make levels around for the time being. :psyduck:

Currently working on a level with on/off switches and moving platforms for the Try Switch jam. I keep being disappointed by not having everything in the SMW kit that I'm used to, though...

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Trying my hand at some more heavily themed levels this time.

Thwomp’s Frozen Library
M00-RHP-CWG

Twisting House of Light and Dark
KKF-MSS-H5G

Boats and Hats
RG8-J35-2JG

I always feel like I have a tough time judging difficulty to be honest.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I can't speak for everyone but personally I'm more interested in player vs level than player vs enemy. Timing things, tight jumps, puzzles, item use, that kind of stuff. IMO enemies should be a seasoning and not the main focus of the level. Like don't just put a Koopa on flat ground for the player to dodge, make the player bounce off of it to clear an obstacle or something.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

internet celebrity posted:

I can't speak for everyone but personally I'm more interested in player vs level than player vs enemy. Timing things, tight jumps, puzzles, item use, that kind of stuff. IMO enemies should be a seasoning and not the main focus of the level. Like don't just put a Koopa on flat ground for the player to dodge, make the player bounce off of it to clear an obstacle or something.

Enemies are more useful when you think of them in terms of how they fit into the broader context of a single challenge, and the entire level overall as opposed to just an isolated instance of "something Mario should kill."

Use them to make traversing an area slightly more challenging or timing precise, or like you said, use them to reward proper play by making them something Mario uses to progress farther and faster, like your bounce example.

Basically, think of enemies as design elements first, challenges second.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 1, 2019

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

heres my Jam attempt 5RT-JH9-Q4G

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Mario's Great Escape

TRW-LJB-Q4G

Yoshi helps Mario bust out of prison.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Something that might save you a lot of grief one day: If you ever accidentally delete your level due to mishandling the touchscreen or something, immediately do the undo option. It will undo the reset too.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Personally I'm only concerned with player vs snake block

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just uploaded this extremely dumb level

55S 076 CSG

Parker Lewis Can't Lose Tribute

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Toxic Friendship
PMH - VKY - 3VF

Fixed

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

nrook posted:

Personally I'm only concerned with player vs snake block

Brb. Designing a level around The Fall Of Man From God’s Grace

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Submitted for your approval, in a sequel to the hit level Saw 1000: Luigis revenge: Luigi has sought Bowsers advice on how to build a sadistic castle of traps to finally end his brother, however; he ran out of Patreon dollars before he could complete it. Windows production presents:

5T0-7MJ-XQF Saw 2000: Luigis Revenge-er

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

55S 076 CSG

Not gonna lie, I spent like five or six tries optimizing that world record.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nep-Nep posted:

I had a multiplayer vs match today that involved solving a puzzle to get a koopa to knock a fire flower down in order to kill several piranha plants to move to the next part of the puzzle. I was first to the flower and instead damage boosted through. There weren't any other powerups and the koopa moves onto the next part with you so that softlocked the other 3 players. That was also my rank up win to get to B rank.

If you aren't actively screwing the other players when you play multiplayer, what are you doing. Yes, even coop. Yes, especially local coop.

55S 076 CSG

Haven't played he level, but everyone knows PLCL was a Sega show. Auto-boo for that.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Is there a way to force an on/off switch to a different color?

So if I have part of a level above ground and then you go underground and then back above ground, I want the switch to be BLUE.

Which is easy for full clear since you go underground with it blue every time. But the check point is underground so if you start from the checkpoint and return above ground, you never touched the block initially and now it's red!!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

ultrachrist posted:

So if I have part of a level above ground and then you go underground and then back above ground, I want the switch to be BLUE.

Which is easy for full clear since you go underground with it blue every time. But the check point is underground so if you start from the checkpoint and return above ground, you never touched the block initially and now it's red!!

Sounds to me like the solution is to not offer a checkpoint.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

You can set up something to hit a switch as soon as the player emerges like a shell firing into one off screen and falling away. Cover the switch flip up with another sound effect and have the first toggle bricks off screen from where the player comes out. Might not work for your level concept, but that's really the only way.

And in the case where you want the switch in the other state, you just block the on off block with a switch brick for the state you want.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

You could gate your access to the rest of the level based on a on/off switch

So say you have a check point that you want to be off. Build a box around the spawn have a "door" made of the correct color block, so that the player has to hit an on/off switch to get out. There's probably a clever contraption you can make based around spawn blocking to do it if you want to do it cleaner.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's definitely contraptions you can make that flip a switch if its blue but not if it's red. For example, a thwomp above a dotted line block above a switch. It's definitely possible to do more complex shell-based ones that don't require Mario to be within the activation range of a thwomp

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

55S 076 CSG

Check your clear rate. :smug:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

Thwomp above a on/off block above the switch, if it's on the thwomp can't hit the switch, if its off, it hits the switch then immediately dies when the block flips

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

BabyRyoga posted:

Not a goon level, but Barbarous King was experimenting with 3D World today and made a really cool difficult level. Probably the first Kaizo-esque 3D world course that I have been thoroughly impressed by. Give it a shot if you want a challenge:

The Terminator: MSS-PYL-WLG

I don't understand what you're supposed to do after the 3 ice walls, seems like I'm supposed to throw the crate and go down but I don't have enough momentum or air time to catch a wall either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Ice
Jun 13, 2002

Fuck The Eradicator
My first level is a scary mountain. It's pretty hard, but doable, and each attempt should only be 20 seconds or so.

972-179-5TG