Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Bernie is in some trouble.

How so? To me, it looks like a big improvement from a couple weeks ago when some polls were showing him 20 points behind the frontrunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

How so? To me, it looks like a big improvement from a couple weeks ago when some polls were showing him 20 points behind the frontrunner.

The presumption was that if Biden failed, some of that support would drift to Bernie. Instead it seems to have gone to Warren and Harris.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How can all the sub 1% candidates justify staying in? It's one thing for Marianne or Yang, where they genuinely have something different to say. But Delaney? Bennet? They have nothing to offer to anyone.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's a fair statement to make when viewing Palestinians as human isn't conducive to getting that sweet AIPAC support.

In any case I don't know how anyone can look at stuff like this and think Harris is in any way committed to civil rights.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 1, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The interesting thing to me would be what would happen to Bernie's numbers if Warren dropped out. Currently Warren is the only other remotely plausible candidate where people can at least feel like they're not compromising their values (even if that might not be true), but I wonder if many of her supporters will go to Sanders if she isn't there and there's no excuses they can make for supporting anyone else.

I know that at least a significant subset would go to Harris, but I wonder if it's larger than the subset who would go to Bernie.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Honestly, Cillizza is the only one keeping Kessler from being the biggest hack in town.

RE pollingchat: Castro skyrocketed up "candidate you would most like to hear more about", jumping from 3% in April to 16% (5th, behind Harris, Warren, Pete, and Booker respectively, tied with Bernie)

Same metric saw Biden down 4%, Beto down 6% and Tim Ryan dropping 4% down to 1%

e:vvvvv
Phrasing gives the answer there. It's people who watched OR closely followed the coverage afterwards, which was heavily Biden - Harris focused.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 1, 2019

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
There are some other interesting results in that poll. I didn't expect this one to be quite so heavily in favor of Harris:

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

eviltastic posted:

There are some other interesting results in that poll. I didn't expect this one to be quite so heavily in favor of Harris:

Why? I saw the debate and Harris definitely was the breakout of the debate when she attacked Biden on bussing.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Luckyellow posted:

Why? I saw the debate and Harris definitely was the breakout of the debate when she attacked Biden on bussing.

She also had the zinger about food fights when everyone talked at once that was painfully prepared ahead of time but still managed to land it. They played that one over and over.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Gripweed posted:

How can all the sub 1% candidates justify staying in? It's one thing for Marianne or Yang, where they genuinely have something different to say. But Delaney? Bennet? They have nothing to offer to anyone.

Book deals, speaking gigs, general publicity for their career, hiring friends and family to run their campaign, pick one or more

eviltastic posted:

She generally did well/didn't gently caress up entirely with some first year highschool rear end spanish, dunked on biden, and got a lot of positive press it. I wouldn't have expected it to be that hard either, but it fits.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea when the question is just pure 'who did the best' Harris is the only answer by a mile unless you're super into Castro's now kinda weak looking shiv of Beto. Lol @ Warren at number two purely because 'well I like her and she didn't say a slur so she did great'. Like yea that's how 90% of debate 'analysis' is but there's no way she had anything but an acceptable night compared to Harris going from 'and still for some reason running' to 'lol did you see her own biden'

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Oracle posted:

She also had the zinger about food fights when everyone talked at once that was painfully prepared ahead of time but still managed to land it. They played that one over and over.

This and the post above says so much of why our current debate structure, and what the media rewards, is so screwed up.

Effective zingers and attacks on opponents, get you a lot of traction, but say so little about how effective a president you'd be.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Luckyellow posted:

Same reason Biden somehow got to the number three slot - I expected some more head scratchingly odd results that didn't match my view, from people invested in seeing it differently.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

theblackw0lf posted:

This and the post above says so much of why our current debate structure, and what the media rewards, is so screwed up.

Effective zingers and attacks on opponents, get you a lot of traction, but say so little about how effective a president you'd be.

Its almost like our entire current model for how presidential candidates get coverage and picked has been maximized to help seel TV/newspaper ads as opposed to actually picking the best candidiate

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Hope this isn't just downplaying expectations.

I'm afraid Buttman is going to make more though.(for reasons Faiz mentions)

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1145811014346313728

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heavy neutrino posted:

???? It's definitely not what you think it means.

It's on a normal distribution, meaning the -5 and +5 lie at the edges of the 95% confidence interval. They should be vanishingly rare compared to smaller misses like +/- 1.3%

Well, ok, I just thought Marxalot's kvetch was kind of silly, and noticed that the numbers line up neatly. I figured I was probably applying it in a technically incorrect sense. Fortunately if a single stats guys see you gently caress up some stats it will become a learning experience very quickly!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Gripweed posted:

Established politicians like Castro or Bennet are running for VP/cabinet positions, or are actually running in 2024/2028 and are trying to get national name recognition now.

Weirdos like Yang or Williamson are selling likely selling books or increasing their personal 'brand'.

edit: Like, that's literally what Biden did - keep running no-hope presidential campaigns for a couple cycles until he got picked for the VP spot, which would have usually have made him the heir-apparent if it wasn't for cough cough ahem ahem.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 1, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
looks like someone else has a problem with the polls

https://twitter.com/Robillard/status/1145823143308812289

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

eviltastic posted:

10% for Biden

10% for Biden

10% for Biden

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

sexpig by night posted:

yea when the question is just pure 'who did the best' Harris is the only answer by a mile unless you're super into Castro's now kinda weak looking shiv of Beto. Lol @ Warren at number two purely because 'well I like her and she didn't say a slur so she did great'. Like yea that's how 90% of debate 'analysis' is but there's no way she had anything but an acceptable night compared to Harris going from 'and still for some reason running' to 'lol did you see her own biden'

Look at the 10% who picked Biden and ask yourself whether that encompasses the entire segment of the party/likely primary voters who were upset the younger black lady was so mean to the famous old white guy.

Maybe I'm a pessimist but....

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Bernie is in some trouble.

if your preferred outcome is someone other than bernie getting the nomination this is basically the worst case scenario

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

10% for Biden

10% for Biden

10% for Biden

This is entirely folks angry at that ~mean black woman~

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if your preferred outcome is someone other than bernie getting the nomination this is basically the worst case scenario

What?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume the logic is that Bernie's losses are less important than Biden's and if Biden collapses Bernie can overtake Harris and Warren.

I think the only real lessons we can/should take from this is
(a) all the beliefs that Biden would falter once the primaries began in earnest are supported and his team needs to find a way to turn that around.
(b) Bernie probably needs to make a better impression in the second debate.
(c) Harris and Warren need to make sure to keep their feet on the gas and take advantage of the momentum.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

I assume the logic is that Bernie's losses are less important than Biden's and if Biden collapses Bernie can overtake Harris and Warren.

I think the only real lessons we can/should take from this is
(a) all the beliefs that Biden would falter once the primaries began in earnest are supported and his team needs to find a way to turn that around.
(b) Bernie probably needs to make a better impression in the second debate.
(c) Harris and Warren need to make sure to keep their feet on the gas and take advantage of the momentum.

I don't think Biden's collapse is good or bad for Bernie. The bad thing for Bernie is that the centrists in the race like Major Butt and Harris are hugging him and his policies so that if you're a typical voter, Bernie isn't able to stand out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Bernie had jumped or Harris and Warren hadn't then, yeah, Biden's loss would be a gain for Bernie. The way it went thinking this is good for Bernie only means you think Harris and Warren's bumps are soft and will fade. Its possible but that seems presumptuous especially since Bernie seemed at least a little hurt by the debate and what some feel was a slightly poor performance.

But again, I think the debates are really just about evaluating what worked and what didn't and adjusting in kind.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Also I think the delta between Warren and Bernie just isn't viable to people who aren't really ingrained in leftist politics and organizing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Biden's collapse is good or bad for Bernie. The bad thing for Bernie is that the centrists in the race like Major Butt and Harris are hugging him and his policies so that if you're a typical voter, Bernie isn't able to stand out.

Yeah, the biggest issue outside of Biden is other contenders realizing that it behooves them to make positive statements about Bernie's policies and that they can always walk it back later knowing that at this stage hardly anyone is going to see it. See: Kamala twice going back on the private insurance bit at this point, in addition to her little stunt of no-showing that AIPAC conference and instead welcoming them with a closed-door meeting.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

the not-bernie vote split among 3+ candidates is pretty much bernie's sole path to victory. also keep in mind there's a 15% vote threshold for awarding delegates

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bernie is now far from the only leftward candidate, even if his cred on "being left" is still the highest among high-information left-wing voters. He's not your only anti-big banking candidate, and he's not your only M4A candidate, at least on paper. He's not going to be able to build support by just doing the same stump speech at every campaign event and talk show. His claim to fame is being obviously preferable to Hillary. She isn't here. He didn't actually run a good campaign last time, by his own admission. Difficult to figure out how he's going to do that now when he's already getting crowded out during debates.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

mcmagic posted:

Also I think the delta between Warren and Bernie just isn't viable to people who aren't really ingrained in leftist politics and organizing.

Not die-hard leftists, but my local Our Revolution chapter has already begun splitting, with a core group of people defecting to Warren. Sanders' positions and rhetoric on race seems to be a dividing line, like his vote on the 1994 crime reform bill.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I think there's a risk of reading too much into this particular shift, especially if you don't expect Biden's coalition to move in unison. @AsteadWesley (NYT/CNN) has been reporting for weeks that Harris has been aiming at the moderate and/or older black supporters who have gravitated towards Biden. This is crucial for SC and Super Tuesday states, and thus to Harris' run, but less so in the early states. If Biden's losses are coming primarily from the crowd Harris has courted, I would expect the remainder of his base will depart in other directions should he crater further.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

I'm the guy that said Hickenlooper is the best able to handle the climate crisis.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The supposed Warren and Harris supporters on this forum are largely mythical. We don't have Warren "supporters" here, we just have bernie-or-busters and then a (shrinking) group of people willing to discuss second choice options and/or trying to discuss the practicalities of who might win rather than the moralities of who should. I have yet to see anyone actually post "I think Harris should win" just a few tentative steps towards "I fear Harris might win" which usually get shouted down.

I support Warren

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LinYutang posted:

Not die-hard leftists, but my local Our Revolution chapter has already begun splitting, with a core group of people defecting to Warren. Sanders' positions and rhetoric on race seems to be a dividing line, like his vote on the 1994 crime reform bill.

Yes, I'm sure these people that you know that actually exist are voting for Warren because of Bernie's vote on the '94 crime bill.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

lol if you think the polling is ever going to show Bernie Sanders leading the field

The only possible way Bernie wins the primary is if the 2020 Democratic primary electorate is very different than that of 2016, and for that matter 2008, 2004, etc. And polling agencies aren't going to conduct a poll based on entirely different turnout than we've seen in the past 10 Presidential primaries, because those polls would be worthless. If you think the electorate in the primary isn't going to change much since 2016 and if you think Bernie's ground game and volunteering advantage isn't going to amount to much (or that he doesn't have that advantage) then especially with this crowded field and the nominal shift to the left within it, it's basically equivalent to thinking he's going to lose.

IMO Bernie wins by staying within striking distance in the polls and then pulling off "upset" after "upset" in the polls that matter, based on turning out new voters. Bernie wins by making a new Democratic base, not appealing to the old one.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The supposed Warren and Harris supporters on this forum are largely mythical.

There's nothing mystical about them. They're just silent - they know that if they dare dissent from the Bernie-or-bust hivemind, they'll get harassed out of the thread by rabid Bernie stans (often, but not always, white men). It's exhausting

Calibanibal fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 2, 2019

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

There is no way Kamala beats Trump in 2020. Just no way, barring Trump OBVIOUSLY making GBS threads his pants during a town hall debate and tracking it all over the stage in a double figure eight pattern.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

guestimate posted:

There is no way Kamala beats Trump in 2020. Just no way, barring Trump OBVIOUSLY making GBS threads his pants during a town hall debate and tracking it all over the stage in a double figure eight pattern.

I can imagine a path forward for her as the "Charge Trump with everything" law and order candidate.

I don't know if it would work or if it is a good idea, but I can imagine it.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Calibanibal posted:

There's nothing mystical about them. They're just silent - they know that if they dare dissent from the Bernie-or-bust hivemind, they'll get harassed out of the thread by rabid Bernie stans (almost invariably, white men). It's exhausting

Cut this poo poo out. I’m a black man, Bernie supporter.