Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Random Stranger posted:

Check your clear rate. :smug:

What did you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What did you do?

Be amazing. At dying.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My problem is that it's really only a single screen you're back above ground so it's hard to have more trickery going on. You have to hit the switch with a shell anyway so for now I've rigged it to hit two separate switches if the player reaches the screen with red turned on. The timing is less satisfying though.

I actually didn't check if on/off persists between subzones. If it does, then I can easily do something off screen while underground post check point.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nep-Nep posted:

I don't understand what you're supposed to do after the 3 ice walls, seems like I'm supposed to throw the crate and go down but I don't have enough momentum or air time to catch a wall either way.

Hold forward and twirl. The upload clear is in this vod around the 4:44:00 mark https://www.twitch.tv/videos/446743090

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I believe it persists through everything but death

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

d3lness posted:

The backtracking was annoying because you teach the player to skip keys at the very beginning of the level. Most people aren't going to assume they need to run over the top of your pipes. Bills after the red pipes were also extraneous. Just block the path instead or add a pit. You expect players to explore over the glass pipes, but punish them for exploring past the red angled pipe.

You know where to go in the level so its layout makes sense, but somebody who hasn't done it before has no idea what you had in mind. You have no hints suggesting where players should go while providing conflicting in-level messages.

I took heed of your suggestions and made some modifications.

Here's Don't Warp Desert
Y3K 6LB JKF

I changed some sound cues to be more instructive, modified the pipe section and the banzai bills.

This replaces
Warp Box Bad Desert
HGD TR1 J1G
which I had to delete to upload the new version.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 2, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's a fun glitch in Multiplayer Versus where if you climb a cat tree and someone snags your cat bell, you can't retrigger a cat bell, which can screw you depending on the level.

Also it feels like 90% of the Multiplayer Versus levels are 3D World themed.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Here’s my simple, easy level. Not much to it but it’s my first attempt.

RJC-7NG-XNG

Go easy on me.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Here's Don't Warp Desert
Y3K 6LB JKF

I warped immediately. Obviously reading comprehension is not my strong suit. Good level but I'm putting you on warning for having a pick a pipe section which I'll only forgive because you could see the exits ahead of time.

Guw posted:

Here’s my simple, easy level. Not much to it but it’s my first attempt.

RJC-7NG-XNG

Go easy on me.
A nice little first attempt. I think some folks are too eager to make death gauntlets right out the gate but making a simple 1-1 type of course is probably the better way to learn the editor.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 2, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's a track option that makes it into a "Y" shape. It looks like it should react to on-off switches but it doesn't seem to? How do I use these parts

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

J-Spot posted:

I warped immediately. Obviously reading comprehension is not my strong suit. Good level but I'm putting you on warning for having a pick a pipe section which I'll only forgive because you could see the exits ahead of time.

Yeah I added the gap between the pipes with the semisolid platform and the coins to encourage the player to go in the middle first and look in advance. It's supposed to be like a highlights puzzle where you choose the correct line from a mouse to a piece of cheese or something.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I love this game but I'm not as addicted to it as the first one yet. The campaign is better this time.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 2, 2019

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I spent literally all day making this level and touching it up. Any comments on it would be dearly loved cause man I'm legit really really proud of it.

Some new ruins were recently discovered and Mario's been asked to investigate. Turns out some of Bowsers minions have already started setting up there! Use their equipment to dig deeper into the caves and report back to Peach when you're done!

The Wrecking Ruins

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Is there any info on how you earn those medals you can get that will show up on your level tags? Like specifically the numbers you need to hit in each area.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any good chill coop levels (theirs or others) they can recommend? My wife is entranced by watching me play but she does not Mario very well.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think the medals are broken. I killed myself at 110 Easy Endless Mario's and that medal isn't lit up with a record or anything. Currently on 20 something of Normal and still nada. Only medal I have is for maker points and it's gold but like, the points just seem to go up randomly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

There's a track option that makes it into a "Y" shape. It looks like it should react to on-off switches but it doesn't seem to? How do I use these parts

It does respond to on/off switches. I've used them in a few levels now. One hang up you might be running into is if you put an item onto the deactivated track it can cause problems.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think the medals are broken. I killed myself at 110 Easy Endless Mario's and that medal isn't lit up with a record or anything. Currently on 20 something of Normal and still nada. Only medal I have is for maker points and it's gold but like, the points just seem to go up randomly.

I have seen a maker with two medals but I don't know which ones or what the exact criteria was.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I wish the game recorded people's runs so the maker could see videos of how people actually played their level.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Finally knocked out a level. It's a traditional level in the forest theme. Three 1-ups can be earned (coins, in a block, the goal), and the level is built with speed running in mind (as in you don't have to stop your forward movement at all, not the NSMB kind).

Return to The Forest of Illusion
FRR-0YV-KNF

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I keep on thinking of stupid mario level ideas while Im at work and I cant make a single one of them

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I spent literally all day making this level and touching it up. Any comments on it would be dearly loved cause man I'm legit really really proud of it.

Some new ruins were recently discovered and Mario's been asked to investigate. Turns out some of Bowsers minions have already started setting up there! Use their equipment to dig deeper into the caves and report back to Peach when you're done!

The Wrecking Ruins

This was fantastic. Looks amazing, plays amazing. It flowed SUPER well from area to area with a lot of neat tricks that tied into the theme seamlessly.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

300 easy in a row, 150 normal, 50 expert, 10 super expert. I think. Don't quote me. Might be 250, 100, 30, 10.

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world

GI_Clutch posted:

Finally knocked out a level. It's a traditional level in the forest theme. Three 1-ups can be earned (coins, in a block, the goal), and the level is built with speed running in mind (as in you don't have to stop your forward movement at all, not the NSMB kind).

Return to The Forest of Illusion
FRR-0YV-KNF

Here I'm thinking I'm hot poo poo at mario and immediately die to the very first enemy in this level.

Then to the third.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
C48-RSD-JXF
Pro Ship Bro

A fun little world-3 difficulty level that will ramp up the challenge if you go looking for it. Visit this ol' flying ship, harass its inhabitants!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be streaming viewer levels for like, an hour, maybe a more? Feel free to come watch. I make no promises to beat your level as I'm bad, but I'll definitely try it!

https://www.twitch.tv/saiyanprideparade

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I took heed of your suggestions and made some modifications.

Here's Don't Warp Desert
Y3K 6LB JKF

I changed some sound cues to be more instructive, modified the pipe section and the banzai bills.

This replaces
Warp Box Bad Desert
HGD TR1 J1G
which I had to delete to upload the new version.

I replaced it on the sheet.

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

I made a story level. The Hammer Bros Union is on strike because of the dangerous working conditions at the logging camp. Mario decides to betray his fellow working class brothers and be a scab! Cross the picket line and collect your wages at the end of the day.

Mario Scabs at the Logging Camp

K99-R8P VCG

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lugaloco posted:

This was fantastic. Looks amazing, plays amazing. It flowed SUPER well from area to area with a lot of neat tricks that tied into the theme seamlessly.

I'm really happy you liked it!

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Mario Teaches Potions 191-7FN-CKG
I'll just put it on the spreadsheet, if too many people have problems with the shell, I'll fix it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I made another Mario.

The Treasure of Toggle Tower is a classic style course about climbing a tower with on/off switches, intended to be fairly easy. (Hopefully I didn't terribly misjudge things after replaying it a ton)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

ultrachrist posted:

Is there a way to force an on/off switch to a different color?

So if I have part of a level above ground and then you go underground and then back above ground, I want the switch to be BLUE.

Which is easy for full clear since you go underground with it blue every time. But the check point is underground so if you start from the checkpoint and return above ground, you never touched the block initially and now it's red!!

A brute force solution is to put two blocks in front of the pipe and a switch nearby to make the exit usable. If you want red blocks to be on, put blue blocks in front of the pipe and so on.

ZeroHero
Feb 17, 2007
Ok I made a second level, this time using the Mario 3 boo house since I'd never played it before this game. I liked the idea of a "boss" level and big boo seemed interesting.

Big Boo Bash

HVS-28X-S4G

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Mostly posting this one because I'm proud I finally got it uploaded.

It started out as me realizing I'm bad at handling ice physics, so I messed with a level around that. Then I found the jump at the beginning and decided to try my hand at a more difficult level.

This level is pretty tough, but there is a checkpoint halfway through, and the whole level is under a minute. Not recommended if you hate ice levels.

Ice Maker
Y3W-7JL-QWF

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I didn't play Mario Maker 1, but I am having a lot of fun with this. After my first couple of "how does this work" levels, I made a couple that I think are good. I hope people enjoy them, but I am also interested in feedback to improve in the future, both positive and negative. I have tried to think about what elements make Nintendo's Mario levels good and then tried to build levels with those design philosophies in mind.

Fire Swamp - PRC-YXY-CRG
I'm gonna be honest, I thought of the name and description first, then designed a suitable theme.

Sno' Money, Sno' Problems - TWL-NS4-QQG
This can be played as a "normal" level, but there are also significant ways to change your route for speedrunning purposes.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Endless Normal is pretty great in this, I love how it emphasizes wanting to find secrets and coins and stuff to get you a buffer for when the 12% clear rate levels sap your lives away, and probably a third of the levels actually have good thought put into them while most of the rest clear the bar of not being infuriating.

It also taught me that Im going to have to be incredibly creative to make a switch block level that stands out because shell blocks repeatedly hitting a switch is by far the most common gimmick

Unsound Logic
Jul 12, 2002

"Why don't you mosey along, pardner."

I made this terrible evil thing called...

Theater of Pain (30s)

9KM-R7R-RHF

It's mostly a torturous level with some precision skill jumping and a 30 second timer. As a person that mostly enjoys speed running I wanted to design a course around making speed running as difficult as possible.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I think I beat the single player? No more jobs in the queue, and the big Mario sculpture is done with Luigi.

Am I done?

lol 10 bux
Dec 22, 2004
i <3 (o)(o)s
I made a one screen gimmick level. My first one in MM2. It's similar to one I did in the first Mario Maker and was short enough to quickly practice some of the new stuff.

Spooky Disappearing Flag
38D-364-4BG

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

300 easy in a row, 150 normal, 50 expert, 10 super expert. I think. Don't quote me. Might be 250, 100, 30, 10.

I'd hate to be the guy that ended a streak on 149 normal levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I didn’t really plan on making another level today but I was inspired and make too many single(double?) screen courses.

An Inversion in my Pocket
THX-8JW-C9G

Maybe I’ll make a normal easy level now.