Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bull3964 posted:

Yet it's the best selling Forester yet and they are selling them as fast as they can make them.

no one ever accused the American consumer of good taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I personally know two goons who recently bought the black Forester with orange accents. Which I think is a lot better than red on white but I'm all for colorful cars so I'd just go full on orange with black accents. I like the colors they offer on the Crosstrek.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Are Subaru interiors ok nowadays on the non loaded models?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Russian Bear posted:

Are Subaru interiors ok nowadays on the non loaded models?

They are ok, but they are also behind the entire rest of the industry. Are you comparing to an old Subaru or current Mazda / Honda / Toyota?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

For their prices I'd expect it to be as good as Mazda nowadays. The older Subies (like mid teens) I have driven were total plastic parts bin poo poo.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Honestly I think plastic part bin poo poo is part of Subaru's "appeal".

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Honestly I think plastic part bin poo poo is part of Subaru's "appeal".

Channeling Jeep

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Having just now owned my first German car coming from my WRX to the Golf R, I'm constantly finding little sensible things that have made me stop and go "Why is this not on every car?" and perhaps most of them are but just not Subaru.

One I noticed just yesterday. There's a little red flag that pops up on the seat back when you fold it down that doesn't drop back down until you have the seat back locked in the correct position. It makes it easy to verify that the seat is back up and locked.

Little hooks to keep bags in place in the hatch.

Felt lined door pockets and glove compartment so stuff doesn't rattle.

Tons of storage pockets in general.

Most of all though, not feeling like every 10 inches if the interior was designed by a different person.

Now, I have been in a current WRX and it was a step up from my 2011 in materials, but it's still missing a lot of refinement. The current platform cars may be different though.

Piano black on interiors needs to die out as a fad though.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 1, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh you got the R? what color did you get

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

For their prices I'd expect it to be as good as Mazda nowadays. The older Subies (like mid teens) I have driven were total plastic parts bin poo poo.

mazda has probably the best non premium interiors in the business now, so i don't think this is a reasonable comparison

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

BraveUlysses posted:

oh you got the R? what color did you get

Gray. Not really a ton of choices in color since they closed out spektrum orders like 6 months ago. It was either Gray or Blue and I decided I didn't want to own two blue cars.

Got $1500 off MSRP which seems unheard of for the R. Maybe it's because I wanted the 6 speed rather than the DSG.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

mazda has probably the best non premium interiors in the business now, so i don't think this is a reasonable comparison

Subaru's interior quality has not improved since the late-90s. The designs have changed, but the interior feel has not. They feel VERY cheap to live in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Prong Song posted:

Subaru's interior quality has not improved since the late-90s. The designs have changed, but the interior feel has not. They feel VERY cheap to live in.

My mom's ~2012 crosstrek has a significantly better interior than her previous 2003 forester

yes, the interiors are roughly lagging the industry by the same amount, but purely apples-to-apples the interiors are better

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bull3964 posted:

Got $1500 off MSRP which seems unheard of for the R. Maybe it's because I wanted the 6 speed rather than the DSG.

Yeah, that's what I got too (price and colour). Enjoy it, fellow awesome-car-owner! It goes fast, handles well, but the thing I still love most about it is it's just a superb everyday car to go about your normal life in, it's not like the Mustang, which made me feel that I was compromising in order to have a fun car.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I test drove a 2018 outback a while ago and found its interior way worse than the 2013 Ford I drove to the dealership. I’m sure a Honda would have blown it completely out of the water

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PT6A posted:

Yeah, that's what I got too (price and colour). Enjoy it, fellow awesome-car-owner! It goes fast, handles well, but the thing I still love most about it is it's just a superb everyday car to go about your normal life in, it's not like the Mustang, which made me feel that I was compromising in order to have a fun car.

I'm really liking the Golf R / BRZ combo, for some reason it feels like they complement each other in a way there WRX/BRZ combo didn't.

I think it has to do with steering feel and body control. The BRZ of course feels a ton more nimble and direct, but the Golf R just feels a bit less lively rather than feeling like a marshmallow like the WRX felt by comparison.

Basically, the R keeps its composure and feels well sorted when pushing it nearly as hard as the BRZ while the WRX felt...unsettled even if the limits were still pretty high.

The BRZ feels raw without feeling rough while the WRX was both at once WHILE feeling soft.

For that reason, it seems like I appreciate the strengths of each more when trading off.

And both are going to get absolutely no use because my job is transitioning to full time WFH. Oh well, I guess I can go drive for the enjoyment of it rather than the need to commute.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Russian Bear posted:

Mazda’s interiors are getting up there with Audi these days. The inside of the new 3 would look good in a car costing twice as much.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Mazda’s interiors are getting up there with Audi these days. The inside of the new 3 would look good in a car costing twice as much.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah now that I think about it, it's a poor comparison. I was more thinking along the lines of both being smaller Japanese car makers. Dang, as good as Audi? I gotta go sit in a new Miata or a 3 hatch. I know they've been pushing upmarket, but didn't know they were quite THAT good. I fuckin' love an Audi interior.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

Mercedes did.

The GLB 45 AMG is going to be even lower with 400hp and AWD

Can't wait for the $30k millionaires to terrorize the streets of your larger cities in their leased glibs.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

It looks more like an Element than a Forester.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I sorta see it:

but the Element greenhouse is really tall:

Using lowered Elements for the right ground clearance.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I test drove a 2018 outback a while ago and found its interior way worse than the 2013 Ford I drove to the dealership. I’m sure a Honda would have blown it completely out of the water
Mustangs are known to have terrible interiors but my 16 premium's interior was better than my fiance's (1 week until I get to say wife) 18s outback limited. Faster too, but so is a snail.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Subaru consistently has among the higher owner satisfaction in the industry despite below average reliability and the currently discussed terrible interiors. What is their secret sauce?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Subaru consistently has among the higher owner satisfaction in the industry despite below average reliability and the currently discussed terrible interiors. What is their secret sauce?

Love (tm)

(Stockholm syndrome)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

If you own one you automatically live an active and sporty lifestyle. It snows several times in winter and you have to drive it down a gravel road once a year to get to a "campsite" so it's a perfect fit!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

There's a certain charm in a simpler, more mechanical and utilitarian feeling vehicle. They're also regarded as safe and rugged vehicles, which they are within the context of their market segments; people get Foresters and Outbacks through some pretty ridiculous poo poo.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I own an e92 BMW and borrowed my mom's 2015 Legacy for a big trip last week. The steering feel is barely-there, and the infotainment system is utter poo poo, but I have to say that I was surprised by how well the thing corners. The interior isn't great, but it isn't a Saab or anything horrendous. Most importantly I took it down some extremely rough unpaved backroads and it handled things with aplomb. Not as effortlessly as my old A6, but I can't imagine another 4-door sedan that can handle offroad as well for the price.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Twerk from Home posted:

There's more to them than average interiors (and just LOL at who said Subaru interiors haven't improved since the 90's. Come on that's reddit level dumbfuckery) and despite "surveys" they tend to be exceptionally reliable vehicles in real life that outlast a whooooole lotta other cars. I've owned quite a few of them and there's really only one that proved to be problematic and I suspect that had more to do with the 49C heatwave that took out plenty of other cars on the same day. I've had other faster and more "luxury" cars but I'd still daily the 19 year old toaster because it a tough bastard thats interesting to drive despite the complete lack of power. You can still tip it into corners faster than a few new cars that rely on grip rather than handling.

Which was a pity because otherwise a Liberty Spec B is actually a great car with a fantastic interior and a sound system that was amazing that still had road manners and handling that would embarrass much more expensive Euros.

Plus all of them have been simple to work on. Even spark plugs on an H6, you just have the right short extension and presto no problem

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I own an e92 BMW and borrowed my mom's 2015 Legacy for a big trip last week. The steering feel is barely-there, and the infotainment system is utter poo poo, but I have to say that I was surprised by how well the thing corners. The interior isn't great, but it isn't a Saab or anything horrendous. Most importantly I took it down some extremely rough unpaved backroads and it handled things with aplomb. Not as effortlessly as my old A6, but I can't imagine another 4-door sedan that can handle offroad as well for the price.

Interesting that you feel Saab had bad interiors? Relative to it’s time in history Saab was more upmarket

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

Yet it's the best selling Forester yet and they are selling them as fast as they can make them.

It also gets better gas mileage than any of the previous models.

It'd be cool if we had something Levorg sized but there have to be enough people buying them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of gas mileage, it's crazy to me that I'm getting 30% better gas mileage in the Golf R than I was in the WRX. The EJ25 really needed to be put out to pasture a decade ago.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Interesting that you feel Saab had bad interiors? Relative to it’s time in history Saab was more upmarket
Later in the GM era the interiors were dogshit, pure creaky black plastic, worse than any contemporary Japanese car.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Speaking of gas mileage, it's crazy to me that I'm getting 30% better gas mileage in the Golf R than I was in the WRX. The EJ25 really needed to be put out to pasture a decade ago.

It's not just the engine. The Golf R uses a Haldex system that only engages the rear wheels when slip is detected. The Subaru is a full time AWD system which eats into fuel economy.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

But how are the adhesives

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

It's not just the engine. The Golf R uses a Haldex system that only engages the rear wheels when slip is detected. The Subaru is a full time AWD system which eats into fuel economy.

True, but the FA20 WRXs get similar mileage to the R.

In reality, rotating mass is rotating mass, even if it's freewheeling. The disengagement of the rear wheels when not needed is a nominal boost to economy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wheeee posted:

But how are the adhesives

Behold the master racecar adhesives

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Subaru’s have absurd owner loyalty that is driven by the following areas:
pacNW, northern New England, upstate NY, northern plains, Colorado and Utah. There are no better, inexpensive cars in the snow/slush/ice (especially in rural and underserved areas) and so what are you going to get instead? My mom has gone through three Subarus for this reason.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bull3964 posted:

The EJ25 really needed to be put out to pasture a decade ago.

Sounds rad tho...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bull3964 posted:

Yep. Even driving it like a bit of a tit occasionally it was more economical than our Saabaru ever was on the same streets.

Did you get the two- or three pedal version? The press car was a manual and this might sound lame but I think I’d prefer it with flappy paddles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

A bit off topic but has anyone else found that dealers will no longer do anything beyond oil changes on Saturdays? I'm trying to book a service appointment and they refuse to do look at anything other than the oil change. All the dealers around me, regardless of the brand or ownership seem to be moving to the same policy. If I bring in my car during the week they can give me a ride to the nearest bus stop when their drivers arrive at 9. I told them I need to be in the office by 7 and the receptionist told that she can't help me there but I can always rent a car from them if I'd like.