Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They added zombie spores and floral scents to the test branch in March. It was alongside the new job system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Thanks, I've been out of the loop.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

All that lava looks ripe for converting into power :getin:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Firos posted:

All that lava looks ripe for converting into power :getin:

At the risk of sounding very dumb... Through steam?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Samovar posted:

At the risk of sounding very dumb... Through steam?

Correct. Couple steam turbines will clamp the temperature of water to 200c with minimal effort.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm cross that I can't WASD around the research map any more; I'll be filing a bug. Also, the research map is much prettier but also much larger, and if you zoom out you can't (or I can't) read the text.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I've found at least one crash related to the pip critter. Given that it doesn't actually produce anything currently I've sadly gotten a much better experience just killing them all.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Repair errands don't seem to be working for me at all. Might I be doing something wrong?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sillybones posted:

Repair errands don't seem to be working for me at all. Might I be doing something wrong?

- I don't remember if repair is Tidy or Tinkering. Do you have a duplicate that has one of those as a high(er) priority?
- Can duplicates reach the area where the repair errand is at?
- Do you have the material needed to repair and can those materials be reached? (fun fact: an AETN is made from refined iron, NOT iron ore, that one took me a while)
- Is what you are trying to repair taking constant damage and are you not realizing that? (so repair jobs are happening, but are not having an effect for long)

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

- Is what you are trying to repair taking constant damage and are you not realizing that? (so repair jobs are happening, but are not having an effect for long)

This one can be particularly relevant for machines that overheat. Repairing will not lower the temperature. If you have no easy way of cooling you are better off deconstructing and rebuilding.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I have attempted all those things as part of troubleshooting. It actually seems like the repair errands themselves are not being generated. Normally you would see a little cross of hammers, I think. For now I will just deconstruct and rebuild.

Edit: Oh, interesting. I set something near to 'no repair' and all the others suddenly got added.

You can connect existing transport things next to each other with ghosts. Can you disconnect things in some similar way?

lol

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 1, 2019

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
More adventures in testing the launch upgrade:

-Dasha salt vines yield nothing on harvest. Chlorine consumption is unchanged between wild/domesticated versions.
-Arbor trees never yield arbor acorns, making them as limited as oxyferns. Fertilizer doesn't work on them despite being on the list, duplicants will make micronutrient fertilizer for each branch then never apply it.
-The rust deoxidizer and ethanol distiller have fixed temperature outputs, but they are quite low making heat management easy. The chlorine from the rust deoxidizer starts in the liquid state despite being too hot for that, causing it to drip until it reaches a solid tile. This make the rust deoxidizer very easy to work with. I have oddly ended up a with a small puddle of 7C liquid chlorine, which is nearly 40 degrees out of the liquid state.

*Also, we have our first hostile critter in the pokeshell. By default they are neutral, but if they have an egg in walking distance, or a dupe is carrying one, they become aggressive to anything not pokeshell. And I do mean anything, I had 2 of them on a ledge with 12 hatches, after laying an egg they started a fight with the hatches. They don't have more health than a hatch, but do significantly more damage. I managed to wrangle them before any deaths occur. After this I proceeded to systematically steal every egg on the map and put them on all on an isolated ledge.

Finally, there might be changes to heat transfer in a vacuum, which is big. I was experimenting with dirt cooking in a sealed vacuumed room with a conveyor rail across it full of fertilizer. Below were diamond window tiles with hot liquid below that. Previously the contents of the conveyor rail wouldn't do any heat exchange without some gas/liquid/solid medium in the same tile to do so, but the fertilizer exchanged heat with the adjacent diamond window tiles. I'll have to do more testing on this.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 1, 2019

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Smiling Demon posted:

More adventures in testing the launch upgrade:

-Arbor trees never yield arbor acorns, making them as limited as oxyferns. Fertilizer doesn't work on them despite being on the list, duplicants will make micronutrient fertilizer for each branch then never apply it.

This one isn't true. They have a stupid small chance. Maybe 0.1% or something. I have slowly built up from one to I think five in only... 300+ cycles. Alternatively, maybe let them naturally fall off the tree to see if that ups the chance.

I was thinking about the pokeshell. I think it might actually be intended for you to use them to kill other animals to harvest them.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 2, 2019

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I would like to report that Oxyferns DO NOT gently caress around.

I built a big closed-off bay to put initial power generation in, and I'm running two wood generators off of a smart battery right now. I slapped four ferns into the bottom, and this whole thing is already at the bottom of the base so it was lousy with CO2 before I closed it off and started burning.

5 cycles later, 2/3ds of the room is 4.5kg+/tile oxygen and the rest is 3kg+/tile CO2. Once I can pipe that poo poo around (and maybe cool it), it will be dope, but for now it looks pretty silly.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

This one isn't true. They have a stupid small chance. Maybe 0.1% or something. I have slowly built up from one to I think five in only... 300+ cycles. Alternatively, maybe let them naturally fall off the tree to see if that ups the chance.

Welp, looks like its back to testing for me. The tree does have some other bugs, such as not always producing lumber on harvest. It definitely does not have its stated 10% base seed harvest chance. I tried having pips eat the trees to see if they could get acorns, but that didn't work.

Sadly it looks like brine is not considered a sterile environment. Definitely going add that as a suggestion.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Nothing seems to be harvesting at previous rates, I wonder if that's intentional.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
The cat things destroyed my oxyfern seed.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

The cat things destroyed my oxyfern seed.

They are quite buggy. I don't believe they are supposed to destroy seeds, just move them around, but often don't . I had one fill a farm tile before a duplicant was about to - which crashed the game when the duplicant arrived. When rifling through storage bins the contents of the ground sometimes end up in limbo, appearing graphically but otherwise not available for gameplay purposes.

1000+ Tonnes of lumber and I have no arbor acorns still, must be missing something. In the mean time I learned:

*Shove voles can no longer tunnel through obsidian, this means obsidian tiles. They can't tunnel through pneumatic doors either. This makes them far easier to contain early on than before in a normal room. You could always isolate them on a single tile at least 2 spaces away from any other accessible only by ladder before.

*The contents of a conveyor rail when passing over a tile (above, not through) in a vacuum are treated as if they are debris on the tile and exchange heat accordingly. If you go past tiles vertically they won't exchange heat, but horizontally and one space above they will.

*While door changes means you can't use them with automation to drop a hatch to a lower room, the rocket gantry still allows for that. Quite the expensive piece of machinery though.

*Pokeshells will beat any critter except for stone and smooth hatches in a fight.

*A single conveyor rail is insufficient to deal with the output of 168 arbor trees. Doing the math this is obvious but I hadn't considered it.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 2, 2019

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I'm not sure how I feel about the arbor tree => ethanol => infinite power/water cycle. It feels very similar to the now dead NG farm, but even easier to set up and there's zero concern for heat. On the other hand, trees are finite, or grow so slowly it's not endlessly scalable. If I were to change anything, it would be more heat generation.

Ethanol should be able to produce alcohol and get my dupes drunk. Drunker. They already act drunk. The new NG cooker needs to calm down on it's gas requirements. I easily stripped an NG geyser cooking for just a few cycles, which is a little ridiculous. It should have it's cost cut to a tenth. It's insanely NG hungry.

The new biomes really spice up replayability and there's now far more resources to be had in the world on general. Between salt water and p water, I feel like water is trivial to make, but it becomes far more important to manage heat now with weezies eating a nerf. I've also found oil and oil vents horizontal to my starting base, so I've tapped into oil before cycle 100 purely by accident

Haven't played around with salt water yet, but I am going to cook some with a volcano for fun and profit.

Despite my earlier mention of resources, this is the first game in a long time I came close to starvation. My starting biomes had 9 mealwood total and 5 bristle. I had to scrounge for food and pray for seeds at the start, killed hatches to survive and my finger was hovering on the microbe musher for a solid minute. Things were dire, and newer players would have been hosed. May want to guarantee more mealwood at the start or something, or double check seed drops.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

You're right about food challenges. My first priority now, at least on Arboria, is to rush farming, harvest then uproot all the mealwood I find, and plant it on farm tiles.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Loaded up the launch preview to mess around with it. Um, you may want to avoid generating worlds with large boulders. Or any boulders. This is what awaited me with a Large Boulders, Ocean, Metallic, Geodes Oceania seed: a gigantic mass of 45C obsidian that overwrote part of the starting biome.

edit: seed number 1483091816 if it strikes your fancy

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The Enigma of Oceania Fault

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

User0015 posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about the arbor tree => ethanol => infinite power/water cycle. It feels very similar to the now dead NG farm, but even easier to set up and there's zero concern for heat. On the other hand, trees are finite, or grow so slowly it's not endlessly scalable. If I were to change anything, it would be more heat generation.

Ethanol should be able to produce alcohol and get my dupes drunk. Drunker. They already act drunk. The new NG cooker needs to calm down on it's gas requirements. I easily stripped an NG geyser cooking for just a few cycles, which is a little ridiculous. It should have it's cost cut to a tenth. It's insanely NG hungry.

The new biomes really spice up replayability and there's now far more resources to be had in the world on general. Between salt water and p water, I feel like water is trivial to make, but it becomes far more important to manage heat now with weezies eating a nerf. I've also found oil and oil vents horizontal to my starting base, so I've tapped into oil before cycle 100 purely by accident

Haven't played around with salt water yet, but I am going to cook some with a volcano for fun and profit.

Despite my earlier mention of resources, this is the first game in a long time I came close to starvation. My starting biomes had 9 mealwood total and 5 bristle. I had to scrounge for food and pray for seeds at the start, killed hatches to survive and my finger was hovering on the microbe musher for a solid minute. Things were dire, and newer players would have been hosed. May want to guarantee more mealwood at the start or something, or double check seed drops.

What do you do with the ethanol to make power/water?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

What do you do with the ethanol to make power/water?

Put it through the petroleum generator. The name doesn't make this obvious, but you can do it. It is literally the only thing you can do with it aside from using it for its thermal properties.

I'm not sure how they intend to balance it all out. It looks like there was a separate ethanol generator at one point. Enough appears unfinished that I'm withholding judgement until changes are made.

As an aside: if you are making alcohol from wood, wouldn't that be primarily methanol, not ethanol?

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 3, 2019

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
New patch. RIP waterweed.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

They fixed the ethanol loop by making it come out at 50c now. Literally my suggestion from last page.

I might play this game to much.

Edit - they cut the gas range cost to 1/5. That's more reasonable, but still a little costly.

User0015 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 3, 2019

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There are new and interesting asteroid traits. Frozen Core replaces the lava/neutronium mix of the lowest layer with a layer of very cold ice with some miscellaneous stuff including frozen CO2 in the mix. Geysers can generate there too.

edit: I hope the lava asteroid's "irregular space" becomes a trait that can apply to anywhere, it makes interesting surface configurations.

The lobby can be generated in a space pocket!

edit: oh you can manually set the reveal tool to like 1000 and reveal the whole map, for some reason I never tried this before

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 3, 2019

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
The large glaciers trait seems a little buggy, most of the glaciers spawn at high temperatures and instantly melt. One had a dozen or so pacu spawn with it.

The volcanoes trait, that one seems just dangerous.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Someone on the official forums had this generate with Volcanoes:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

I'm pretty ok with an "absolute insanity" level. That would be fun to.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Must be one strong thimble reed.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Even if I reveal I still miss seeing the vents. Is there something I can do to make them super obvious?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Even if I reveal I still miss seeing the vents. Is there something I can do to make them super obvious?

They always have 4 tiles of neutronium beneath them. Neutronium doesn't have a temperature so the 4 tile anomalies will stick out on the temperature overlay. Probably a bunch of other overlays I'm not thinking of as well. *They also have a single dirt tile near them, so you could use the cultivable soil option in the materials overlay.

If you are using the sandbox tools don't use destroy to reveal them, that will delete the vents as well. Paint over them with the brush tool, use vacuum or your choice of liquid/gas.

In case you didn't know about this: by default alt-S is screenshot mode which lets you zoom out farther. I end up using it for far more than screenshots. This was one of the biggest things I was missing for quite a long time.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 4, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Vents and geysers have a priority toggle. If you’ve revealed the entire map, look for priority numbers embedded in terrain.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So what's the latest for SPOM's? A link to a good easy(er) one would be appreciated :)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I mean, similar to before, except you'll need a slightly larger cooling chamber to accommodate automated fertilization.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I think the change I'm going to make is building a more complex system where two electrolyzer units feed into a room with ~5 wheezes thats 4 tiles tall and 8-9 units wide. I run the pipe around in there a bunch but still have room to put a conveyor system along the top and feed all the wheezes. Maximizing cooling capacity of each wheeze gets a lot more useful/efficient this way. Still will probably throw one in the kitchen/power rooms and just have them fed from a seperate phosphor storage (using the arms already there for coal/food) or something, I tend to end up with poo poo tons of phosphorite anyway as a product of my drecko ranching.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:siren:

quote:

Do note that if you don't like a world gen trait, you can just delete the .yaml file from /data/streamingassets/worldgen/traits and it won't appear for future worlds.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Goodbye boulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Patch out. Water sieve output changed, it isn't dynamic temperature, it's worse! 40C *minimum* temperature or higher if the input is higher. Same applies to all fixed temperature output machines.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 4, 2019